Before To Face Is To Conquer (update 1/1 FINALLY!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mystralgurl, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Mystralgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    okay, -Darksaber- and I are writing this story together, with a bit of a post from CodeName_Targeter every now and then... this is not a round robin however, so please do not post as part of the story. I am writin the character of Likhi and -Darksaber- is writing the character of Jintoa. I hope you enjoy the story....

A long long time ago.....

Likhi Aniam slowly walked down the hall of the Jedi Temple to the sparring room. Today was the day that young Jedi learners had waited and practiced for all year; the day when they might perhaps get a Master, the day when their fears of being taken to Agri-corps would either be recognized, or would be banished.

Likhi remembered a time when she too had anxiously awaited this day. She had been so thrilled to be picked as a padawan. If only she had known the trouble and pain it had caused her, the pain it still caused her. She would have rather gone to Agri-corps.

The only reason she was coming at all was because it was required of all Jedi Knights and Masters, save those who already had Padawans, to be present. Just in case the Force led them to pick someone.

Likhi knew she would probably would ignore it even if it came up, slapped her in the face, and told her to take a specific learner as an apprentice.

Likhi wasn't the prettiest female in the Temple, but neither was she the ugliest. She had wildly curly reddish brown hair that she kept long and deep blue eyes. Tall, around 5' 7" and slender, weighing only a hundred twenty pounds. Sometimes the Healers would order her to eat more, but of course she never listened. Just promised to do better and then ignored them. Not prone to anger, Likhi was calm, but had had bad experiences with men in the past and was slightly afraid of them, and was sure that if she took any padawan at all, she would be female.

She slipped into the back of the room, ready to slip back out as soon as was allowed, so she could get back out of the Temple, and busy herself in something useful.

What Likhi didn't know was that Master Yoda was watching and he had other plans......

Earlier that day?.

Jintoa woke, as usual, half an hour before the others in his clan. He lay there for a moment, eyes closed, but mind fully awake, thinking. Or rather, dreading.

Stop it, Jin. A Jedi knows no fear. Especially over something as trivial as this. What in Force?s name are you so afraid of?

Under the covers, his hands clenched at his sides, balling into fists.

I?m not afraid. I?m?Apprehensive.

An inner voice responded to that thought, cruel and mocking.

Right. And Master Yoda?s a million feet tall. Face it, Jin. You?re a wittle baby who?s afraid of not being chosen. You don?t want to be a farmer, but that?s all you?ll ever be. Because you?re a ?fraidy-nerf.[i/]

He forced his eyes open to quiet the voices in his head. For a moment, he remained there, perfectly still, listening to the breathing of others asleep around him. Then, letting out a sigh between his teeth, he stood up, ducking slightly to avoid banging his head on the bed above him.

He pulled a clean tunic from a drawer, pulled it over his head, before removing off his night-pants and retrieving yesterday?s almost-clean pair from over the back of a chair. As usual, the tunic sleeves were way too long, restricting the use of his hands, and the pant legs had to be tucked into the top of his socks to keep from tripping him. He dived under his bed, finding one boot under there, then removed the other from a drawer. When he?d finished, he washed and brushed his teeth, examining his reflection in the ?refresher mirror.

The scars on his face rarely bothered him anymore; he wasn?t particularly vain, and he could always hide them by keeping his hood up. Peoples reactions bothered him more. If ever he was on a day-trip with the clan, or someone new saw him for the first time, they always told him how brave he was, how awful he must feel, and similar sentiments. It upset him that people couldn?t seem to hold his gaze, as if
  2. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yay! You posted our story, Master...Wish we had a reader, though...*sigh*
  3. Mystralgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    *sigh* me too, Padawan. After we worked so hard on it too! Maybe we'll have one the next time I check. I'll PM the link to your grandmaster, maybe she'll read it?
  4. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3

Likhi stood in her former quarters, the few possessions she had in her arms. She glanced around one more time, then turned and walked to the Master/Padawan quarters, a few very long hallways away.

I can't believe I'm a Master now. I never thought I would be....

She paused at the door to place the sign Aniam/Raintos on the front, then, placing her hand on the access plate, entered the room.

It's big! I don't know if I'll ever get used to this much space.... but I don't really know how much space Jintoa takes up. Why did the Council decide now would be a good time for me to take a Padawan? And a male Padawan at that?

The door hissed and she could sense Jintoa behind her. She turned around, schooling her features into an unreadable expression, and motioned for him to come further into the room. They had a Force-bond, but it was very weak, she couldn't sense very much of his emotions, save a little bit of nervousness. Jintoa had remarkable shielding for one so young.

"Your room is through that door, Jintoa." Likhi motioned to a door off the side of the room, next to her own bedroom.

Jin smiled. ?I think it?s neat that I get my own room, Master.?

Man, that sounds weird. Master. Never thought I?d get to say it?I?m definitely gonna enjoy this, even if she?s horrible. And she doesn?t seem horrible?Nervous, but not nasty.

?It?s real big, isn?t it, Master? You could do flips and cartwheels in here and not break anything??

She gave him a stern glance, so he finished.. ?Not that I would or anything?.?

He removed his cloak, (Cool, it?s brown, and not white. I?m so glad I?m not in initiate robes anymore. They?re so hard to keep clean..) and hooked it on one of the hangers in the doorway. He had to stand on his tiptoes to reach it, and made a mental note to use a chair next time.

The apartment wasn?t particularly large, but by his standards, it was huge. In his age-mates room, there?d been room for a bed, and a chest of drawers for each child, but not much more. Many times he?d wished for his own space, to be able to sit quietly without someone running past, or trying to start a conversation. He didn?t really have tokens, or belongings, and his age-mates thought that was strange. Even the Clan Masters had holos in their rooms. Jin had?.well?nothing. And he liked it that way. Besides, he didn?t really have any good memories, up until now. Mentally, he stored every detail of today for further reference?Just in case something happened, and Master Aniam decided she didn?t want him as a Padawan anyway.

Maybe when we get to know each other a little better, I can get her to call me Jin. I don?t mind that as much as my full name?

He placed a hand on the access panel to the door of his room, and it swing open to reveal his room. There was a bed, a chest of drawers, a desk and chair, and even a shelf for data chips. He whistled appreciatively, then began to neatly fold his robes and place them in drawers. When he finished, he glanced both ways, removed his shoes, and dived headfirst onto the bed.

Likhi had hung up her robes, and was admiring how precise everything was, especially without any knick-knacks lying about, when she heard a thump. It sounded like it had come from Jintoa's room.

I hope he's okay! What if he's fallen or something?

She ran out of her room and into Jintoa's to see him jumping up and down on the bed. He saw her, turned white, and sat down quickly.

Likhi tried hard to fight the smile, but it burst out anyway, laughter bubbling up her throat, into the air.

Jintoa just stared at her, still white.

Likhi moved over and sat carefully next to him, then leaned over to whisper, 'I did the exact same thing on my first day in my master's apartment.'

He sent her a hesitant look.

She smiled again. "Are you hungry? I've heard initiates, at least the male one's always are..."

Jintoa smiled, just a little bit of a smile, but it was something anyway.

I don't want to be distant from my Padawan. He needs love. And attention. He's so sh
  5. Mystralgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    well.... maybe we'll have readers soon, Padawan... until then... we could always have weird conversations... :D

Up!
  6. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    :_| hope so Master...It gets lonesome here on our own, doesn't it?
  7. Mystralgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    very much so, alas..... I'll pm a few of my friends and ask them if they'll read it...
  8. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
  9. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't despair! Readers will come! :)

I really like it so far! Especially how Yoda was able to bring Likhi and Jin together. Now you've got me curious as to why Likhi is 'nervous' around men and what happened to Jin.

Keep posting!!
  10. Mystralgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    Yayness! we have a reader Paddy!

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Do you want to do the honors of the next post Padawan?
  11. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Have patience

Learn from Yoda
    and you shall have readers.[face_peace]
  12. JediVeloJinn Jedi Knight

star 1
    a few things amused me..... and I thought that I'd tell you both.

the boot under the bed, and in a drawer? What's it doing there, of all places?

Likhi and her acting experience in front of Yoda.

The fact that the Initiates' clothes are white. There's really no need for the poor kids to have to keep their clothes clean. I mean, when I eat noodles or spaghetti the sauce goes everywhere. It's not as though the Initiates need to see whether they're dirty or not - like doctors and their white coats. (by the way - completely off-topic but - before the idea that sanitation had anything to do with health, doctors would proudly bear the dirty stains that come from doing surgery as a badge of their ... profession, I guess. Proof that they're doing doctorly work).

um, sorry for the ramble.

~Velo
  13. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yayness! We have readers, Master! Whooo! *adjusts cloak and tries to look dignified*

*fails miserably*

Just like to say, thanks to y'all for reading! Oh, Force, look at me, I'm not even American! Some of the spellings may look a little weird, but I'm English, so that's why.

mouse2 - I know, what a mystery! All will be revealed soon, my whiskered friend! ;)

Gkilkenny- Patience is a virtue...But unfortunately one I do not possess. Me and my master are working on it :)

JediVeloJinn- Yay, I amused someone! Are you a fellow LOTRs fan by any chance? [face_thinking]

New post up in a few minutes!

14. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just a short one...Darth RL is being annoying atm...

Jin settled comfortably into a meditative pose, cross legged, as he was instructed, and focused on his shields. She brought a hand to his forehead, and he concentrated on dropping them, one layer at a time, until she had access to his mind. He relaxed into their combined current in the Force, and allowed her to see what she needed to see. His shields were not completely down, and they both knew it, but she had free access to what she needed?And nothing more. As much as he was growing to like his new Master, he wasn?t ready to show her it all. And he didn?t think he ever would be. Some thing were much to painful to be shared, even through a Master/Padawan bond.

He?remembered. And he showed what he?d learned?The basic, easy lessons of early childhood, as well as more complicated, frustrating things from late last year, and even some from just last week. He let her explore his understanding, and connection to the Force, his ideals, his hopes?.But not his fears. As he?d been constantly told through his early growth, a Jedi knows no fear. But he did know fear?And it ate at his soul. It burned, paralysing him, freezing him stock still, holding him a death grip that stopped him from thinking straight, stopped his sleep from being peaceful. That part of him, at least, he kept secret.
    It was exhilarating, just to feel his Masters presence in the Force, once he really thought about it. When he shielded as he usually did, it was a two way process, and damped down his connection, so he couldn?t feel others truly. But he felt her now, and was continuously impressed by how strong she was?.

Gradually, she withdrew, seemingly having seen all she needed. He gradually rebuilt his shielding, but decided against keeping them up completely. He released them, keeping only basic shielding up. It felt?.Right. Now they were gone, he felt a massive surge of relief wash over him.
    He felt their bond grow stronger.

Likhi felt Jin's shields in her mind. No wonder he was so pale... of course he was naturally pale, but obviously not quite so. Shielding took a lot of effort, and he was positively smothering himself.
    If he would just relax some of his shields, his connection with the Force would be so much stronger.
    Easy Likhi. Focus on what we came for.
    Mind-link. Former lessons. Right.
    She reached into his mind, feeling the few shields he still kept up, learning what he had learned. She spotted a few holes in his training that should be worked on right away, but no major problems.
    She was about to withdraw, when she felt his fear.

Overwhelming fear.

Nauseating fear.

Numbing fear.

Like hers.

Likhi saw just a little bit through his mind. Fire.

He's afraid of fire. No wonder he didn't want me cooking.

Likhi stood, and helped her Padawan up after her.

"I think we should retire for the night now, Jin. It's been a long day."
    He nodded and they left the meditation chambers for their apartment.
  15. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    So Likhi saw what it was that Jin is afraid of. Even if he doesn't know that yet. That's a good start for them to have something to work on.

Hmmmm... So her fear is as strong as his is... [face_thinking]

Can't wait for more!
  16. JediVeloJinn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lotr fan? me? now why would you think that, I wonder? :p
    You're the first to comment on my sig. Admittedly, I don't post all that often, and usually I myself skip over sigs, but it's nice to know that someone notices.

Interesting thing there about how the shielding was responsible for Jin's paleness.
    My respect for Master Likhi has just gone up a great deal.

It seems that the two have much in common. The old meddling troll was right *joking* Wise Master Yoda should be listened to.

~Velo
  17. JediKlea Jedi Master

star 3
    I love it!!! MORE NOW!!!!!!!=D==D=
  18. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    Lol...

Yay, we have a new reader...Plus one who actually likes this cobbled together piece of rubbish!

Mouse2 - Uhuh. We were going to call this thing "United in fear", but changed our minds at the last moment. How are the little horrors?

JediVeloJinn - I recognise my own kind. Before I found Star Wars last christmas, that's all I obsessed over. I even wrote a note to my mam in dwarvish runes, but of course, she didn't understand, being just a noob. Jin's naturally pale, but the shields had something to do with it. Hopefully, he'll aquire some colour now he's realeased most of them...The healers will worry!

JediKlea - You do? *looks puzzled* It isn't all that good, my friend. I have no idea why we have any readers at all. But many thanks, all the same. Myself and my master aim to please.

Ok, guys, no new post 'til Tuesday, when my Master's mam lets her back on the boards, but thanks for reading!
  19. Mr_Fantastic Jedi Knight

star 2
    Mystralgurl, you're the youngest Master I've come through so far. It's a very good story indeed. I like it.
  20. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, she's very young, isn't she? Only a year older than me, my master is....Makes us closer, I s'pose.
    I'll pass on your views to her...She's posting it, but we both write it...She writes the Master's parts, and I get to write Jin! Whoooo! Thanks for reading.
  21. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok, you guys got yourself another reader!

Loved it - wonder what has happened to Jin, causing that great fear of fire.
    Can't wait for more!!!
  22. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    By...The...Force!!!! Wow! It's you! Why in the seven hells of Corellia do you want to read this? Oh well, must count myself lucky...

I'll comm. my master and tell her you're here! Oh, I'm so excited...Six readers!!!!!

PS: All will be revealed...Urm...Moderately soon.
  23. Mr_Fantastic Jedi Knight

star 2
    6 more and we can make a Council.

This is a good story, it shows that people who have the same weaknesses (fear, in this case), can learn from each other and give support to each other. Yoda was wise indeed when he joined them together.

I suppose I like this story mostly because it's in times of peace, where Padawans gather to talk about the Force, not battle, where lightsabers are constructed as a meditation exercise, not as a weapon that has to be more endurable (Dark Labyrinth reference), so that one can see what it means to train a Padawan under NORMAL circumstances, like Jinn trained OB1, not like Anakin's training. Peace is our objective here, not war.At least not a full-scaled one...I hope.

Man, Tuesday is so far away. Patience is a virtue...and I have it.

Only a year older than me.

I know, I always check bios.
  24. Anastasia_Fel Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't even read this yet, but I know this is going to be good.

Edit: K, finally read it all. I must say one thing, this is very intriguing(sp?).

I must say its refreshing to see Mystral let someone else talk, Darksaber :p j/k

Nice link there mystral, very subtle... :rolleyes: :p

Sam
  25. -Darksaber- Jedi Knight

star 3
    Whoop! Thanks for that, Anastasia. Uh..my Master should be on tomorrow...And a new post, hopfully.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.