main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Have And To Hold (Book II in DLT series) Author Replies 10/1 Completed!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Force_Triad, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Yay! Lovely update, you two. While short, it was full of waffy stuff that made me grin.

"That's what I hope," Drex said softly. "That's what I hope."

Me too! I'm so glad things are on the mend. :) Hope you update again soon!

Stormqueen

2. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Whew! Drex is opening his heart up a bit. While scary, that's a healthy thing. He's got quite a support system to help him heal. I hope he avails himself of it fully. Lovely chappie!

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    At least Drex is starting to open up, or at least see that he needs help to get past his pain. Glad to see him talking about it. That's the first step.

Good job.

4. Force_Triad

Force_Triad Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2006
    Stormqueen Glad it made you smile! Mushy stuff does that to me too ;) :D

Ara-gon Yes Drex is opening up and all we can say is it's about time :p, I'm trying to work on the Drex/Ky vignette, but it's not coming as well as I would like unfortunately.

Dianethx Welcome back from vacation! The first step to healing is always the hardest. He never took it. He just buried himself in grief all those years and never came out. Glad you're enjoying it :)

Chapter Fifteen: Bonds Like These

No man stands so straight as when he stoops to help a boy. ~Knights of Pythagoras

It had been a week since they had returned to the Temple and Drex was sitting in his room looking at the trunk that he kept locked always with Ren's holos and personal mementos. He had never been able to bear looking at them before. But now, he was considering displaying them. Zephir was the only one in the apartment. He had given Kyran the day off, so he could be alone to ponder the course his life had taken now.

"It's been a long time," Zephir said from Drex's open door, "Since I've seen that trunk out."

Drex glanced over to him. "I've been thinking of displaying some of the old holos I have," he said quietly.

Entering, Zephir settled beside him on the bed, "That would be a good idea. It would help Kyran to know his Padawan brother." "Do I want him to get to know him? I don't want to give him the feeling that he has to measure up to Ren," he said. "You do have to be careful," Zephir agreed, "But it would help him understand your grief, and you, if he understood who you grieve for."

"Perhaps," Drex sighed. He unlocked the trunk and opened it. A thick lump came to his throat as he pulled out one of the holos. He stared at the moving pictures, swallowing hard.

Zephir lay a hand on Drex's shoulder, watching with him for a few moments, "There is another reason to do this. It'll remind you of why you love him, instead of just remembering his death."

Drex nodded at that. "I know, that's part of why I have decided to put them up after all," he admitted. Cradling the holo tenderly as if afraid it would shatter, he placed it on his dresser.

Zephir smiled slightly, eyes intent on that beloved face of his friend's former apprentice, old fond feelings stirring at the long lost sight of those smiling eyes and brilliant smile. That was the child he wanted Drex to remember, not the one that was shot to death that day.

One by one Drex picked up each holo and settled them on his dresser top. Soon his dresser, which had been devoid of anything except for one holo of Kyran, was completely full. Drex had never been one to collect knicknacks from his missions, so there was a lot of space to fill. He took out several drawings Ren had done and paintings. His padawan had been a very talented artist and Drex wanted to preserve the pictures he had, even the ones that were unfinished. "We should go to get some frames for these," he muttered.

Zephir smiled at that, nodding, "We'll do that. And we'll get another shelf added to your dresser, if you want."

Drex smiled half-heartedly. "Another modification? I think the Council might kill me if I suggest another one for this apartment," he said lightly.

"I'll suggest it this time," Zephir offered, "There are a few that owe me a favor or two."

Drex's smile vanished. "Just don't tell Sehan what I want to do with it," he said, his eyes narrowing slightly.

Zephir shook his head, "I'm going through Master Kele'. We're old friends. And she won't let him know what we'll be doing with it, its none of his business." He considered for a moment, "Or I could call Ildri next time she's home. She'd happily build it, you know."

Drex nodded a little. "Under those circumstances, I suppose that's a good idea."

"It would probably be best if I talk to Ildri then," Zephir looked pleased at the thought of comming his former apprentice, "Though, she'll probably insist on adding to your collecti

5. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Yay! A nice, long update! :D Great job here, you guys. I loved reading more with Drex; he's become one of my favorite characters, and my heart continues to go out to him! I loved the conversation he had with Dooku and Zephir, and I just can't wait for the next update! :)

Thanks for the PM!

Stormqueen

6. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Good that Drex has pulled out the holos of his former Padawan and is releasing some of his pain. But he should be careful to find more holos of Kyran so that Ky won't feel left out.

As for the bond, they are right. Qui-Gon is too young to be trained in the same way at the same time as the others. Sounds like a plan.

Good job.

7. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Are you two enjoying stringing out the details of what happened to Ren?

Balance, Drex. Balance.

Yes, the Masters need to seek Yoda's guidance. But I think they're on the right track.

Now, why does your closing sentence make me think that things are about to get messy? :p

8. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Stormqueen Long? That wasn't all that long compared to other chapters :p But it was a good length ;) I'm very pleased you like Drex so much and he's rather astounded anyone likes him at all after how he's behaved :p Thanks so much for reading!

Dianethx You're right, he does need to be careful. Kyran is pretty sensitive, but I think after this post, things will get better for the two of them, leastwise I hope so :p Thanks so much for reading!

Ara-gon Never fear, we tell all :p They are definetely on the right path, and I have no idea why you would think that :p [face_mischief] We wouldn't be cruel would we? [face_whistling] Thanks for reading!

Author's Note: Very special thanks are due to stormqueen who made us some beautiful cover art! We both really appreciate it!
    [image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/Layren/Triad5.jpg]

Chapter Sixteen: Wounds and Confessions

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Kahlil Gibran

The fire crackled in the fake fireplace as Drex Rixar sat in front of it, thinking. He ran a hand absently through his thick brown hair and gave a deep sigh. He still hadn't talked to his apprentice about Ren yet.

It had taken much too long for him to heal from losing his first apprentice. The lad simply had not been cut out for special operations missions. If only he had released him from apprenticeship when he had the chanceâ?¦.

His padawan's bedroom door opened and he sighed. "Kyran, come here. We need to have a talk."

"Yes, Master." Kyran came and sat dutifully. He glanced at his Master worriedly, wondering what he wanted to talk about. Drex's shields were like iron and he couldn't penetrate them.

Drex wondered how to begin. Now was the best time. It was early evening and everyone else was out of the apartment.

"Padawan," he said slowly. "I am sorry I have done you such a disservice by keeping this from you. You deserved to know before I took you on, that I am not the best Master an apprentice needs."

Kyran wisely remained silent, sensing that if he said something, Drex wouldn't be able to get it out.

"Twenty years ago, I was made a Jedi Knight by my own Master, Master Jalan. He taught me everything he knew, but one thing he didn't teach me was that humans had hearts. One of his first lessons to me was to 'never let anyone see you feel.' An enemy can exploit your feelings, this you know."

He waited for Kyran's acknowledgement. "Yes, Master."

"When I was young, brash, and far too bold, I went down to the creche to watch the initiates spar. One boy caught my eye, a child who was shorter than the rest in his age group, and not the best with the lightsaber, but with potential promise to grow into an excellent hand-to-hand combat fighter. His name was Ren Dafydd," Drex swallowed but steeled himself to continue.

"I asked him to become my apprentice and he happily accepted. He was ten years old, which is not too uncommon of an age to be a padawan. What was uncommon was what happened afterward. We are told not to love, not to form attachments, yet I loved him with my whole heart, the way a parent would a child."

Kyran's brow furrowed. That had been the kind of bond he had been hoping to form with his Master. It was the bond that Shane and Zephir shared almost.

"I knew he was having trouble on the missions we were sent on. He couldn't handle it. You know how rough they can be, killing, seeing people die when we do not get there fast enough, the harshness of undercover missions, he was unequal to the challenge, yet he never complained. Not even once, but I knew the nightmares he had," he said looking down at his hands.

"When he was sixteen, I had decided to release him from being my apprentice. It was evident he couldn't handle the missions and needed it. But part of me didn't want to let go. I had loved him too much. I was afraid of alienating him from me forever if I releas

9. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Ooooh. Thoroughly intriguing series of chapters, here, ladies. :D

I didn't mean to vanish on the review scene, DRL has been a sketchy blighter to me lately, as Laurie probably knows from hearing me whine at her all the time. Neon, though, [:D] ---still loving this fic. :)

Plotline is ever thickening. I was particularly struck by the comment in the second-to-last chapter about Kyran and Shane standing in front of Qui-Gon. Entirely ominous. [face_shame_on_you] I'm watching you guys. ;)

I loved them all having alcohol in their tea....how like Jedi!! [face_laugh]

Dooku was pretty amusing, as well. Your Dooku has a very quiet, steady presence. I liked the comment about him being as sensitive as a vibrowhip to Drex's hurt. ;) I think his problem is that he's too connected to the Living Force, but he doesn't really have the personality for it. So other people's emotions are overwhelming to him, because he can feel them too strongly, and doesn't have, say, Qui-Gon's 'whee!lurve!' attitude. So he kinda draws back. Other people and their issues Freak Him Out. *amused* I don't mean to ramble, just, good portrayal in this bit especially. Made me think. :)

Keep it up, loving it!

EDIT: Lovely banner-fanart thing, too!

10. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    No, you're not being cruel. It's just that you're putting us in the same shoes as the Triad, with not knowing the pasts of their Masters--pasts which are influencing the present so strongly. And it's very effective, draws your reader (well, me, at least) further into the story.

Oh, good. Drex finally talked to Kyran, and Kyran responded very wisely.

Ugh. I don't like Sehan. And now he has an unhappy padawan. They make a good pair--they're both bullies. I'm so glad Zephir held his own. I think I've said this before, but I really like Zephir.

Have you explained who Ke'dran is and I've just forgotten? Or is that still to come? Are we going to get to Zephir's past soon

11. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Yay! You updated! *does a happy dance* Wonderful update, you two. Loved the conversation between Drex and Kyran; it made me sniffle, and just wanted to glom onto Drex and make it all better (Though, it'd probably make it worse, wouldn't it? Some random girl just popping out of nowhere and hugging him and sobbing all over him. I'd be lucky if I didn't get sliced in two... [face_plain])

And yay for Zephir standing up to himself! *does a cheer for Zephir*

Hm, can you tell I just got done with a set of finals for summer classes? Maybe I should've laid off the coffee this morning... [face_plain] Well, wonderful update, and I'm so glad you're happy with the art! It was fun to make, and I finally understand what they mean about tweaking things until they take it away from you. I would've been there all night fiddling if I hadn't had a paper to write! :D

Stormqueen

12. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Yippee! Drex *finally* told Ky. Now maybe they can get on with healing.

As for Sehan he's just an (censored). I love what Zephir's response was about Ke'dran. Sehan's an old fool to hold out hope that any part of Ke'dran is still alive. I also think it's clouding his judgement where the triad's concerned.

I love the banter between Shane and Ildri. It's likely to lighten Zephir's mood a bit.

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved that Drex finally talked to his padawan and that they are becoming closer with time.

Poor Zephir with his old Master - he's not a very nice person and certainly not very Jedi to be so harsh and controlling. Sehan's very intriguing as a character. I'm a bit confused though. Who is Ke'dran again? And why would Sehan think that Zephir has any part of him?

Good job. Very cool plotline.

14. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Charmisjess Ahh you weren't whining, everyone goes through DRL. Such a nasty sith isn't he? ;) Now why would you think that would be ominous eh? [face_whistling] Drex doesn't drink liquor most of the time because of what he does, he prefers to have as clear a head as possible, but sometimes even he wants a shot of something in his tea ;) As for Dooku I'm really glad you liked that part because I was a little worried about Drex's thoughts there, since Dooku is so Living Force sentive, but he doesn't strike me as the comforting type to reach out to people when they have problems. Only Qui gets excited about that sort of thing ;) Really glad you liked it! Thanks so much for reading and your kind comments :D

Ara-gon Ooooh well I'm glad we're drawing you further in, that IS the goal after all :D [face_batting] Eventually the Master's story will be told too :D Nobody likes a bully and that's exactly what they both are, and they hate the concept of the triad as it's too much against tradition. Ke'dran is Zephir's first name which he has disowned. We mentioned it at the end of Book I, but then again that was awhile ago :p Thanks so much for reading and for your lovely comments! They're like food and drink to us to keep going :D

Stormqueen874 I'm glad it made you sniffle :D That's what I was trying to do but Drex just didn't want to cooperate, darn it. It took me ages to get that scene written because he hates talking about it and my muse quit cooperating at the same time. And I think Drex would totally be running the other direction, or pulling out his lightsaber if anyone he didn't know tried to glomp him :p I think you ought to drink more coffee, not less ;) We totally adored your review :D Thanks for reading and commenting!

Aya-Na_Bashu Yep, he finally did. Who woulda thunk it eh? ;) Healing will still take time despite the fact that Kyran knows now, but at least he can understand some of his master's reasoning more now. As for Sehan, he is a big bad bully on the Council and he is a total fool to think some part of him how he used to be is alive anymore. And the banter does wonders for lifting dark moods ;) Thanks so much for your comments!

Dianethx Yep, they're finally getting there :D And miracles had ceased eh? ;) Sehan clings very stubbornly to tradition and the triad and Zephir totally are against all he's ever known. Ke'dran as I said above is Zephir's first name, and oh goodness, we're so glad you think our plotline is cool! Coming from the author of Betrayal that's a huge compliment and I have this big grin on my face ;) [face_blush]

Chapter Seventeen: Of Sound Mind

A man who is "of sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key. ~Paul Valéry, Mauvaises pensées et autres, 1942

A/N: Ahte: Father

Kyran Josel frowned intently studying his philosophy homework. He was struggling to memorize the names of the Jedi of old, and what part of the Code they had created, as well as a variety of applications. He looked up, after awhile, rubbing his hand across his eyes tiredly. Shane was out, training with Zephir, Drex was who knew where and Qui-Gon and Dooku were both gone, leaving him there alone. He looked around his room and his eyes fell on the small bag, half hidden by trinkets and a variety of odds and ends on his bookshelf. Ja'thernen had given it to him a year ago, and had told him to give it to Shane for his coming of age. He had kept it out of sight and hidden between own things ever since then, knowing how much it meant to Ja'thernen.

There was a knock on Kyran's door, before Ja'thernen looked in, eyes glimmering almost a bit in amusement as he caught sight of him, "So that's where you are. I almost thought the place was empty, it seemed so dead."

Kyran shrugged. "I'm not usually the only one here. Ke'en is training and Master is running errands and he didn't invite me along."

"I figured," Ja'thernen entered, uninvited, and settled himself on the bed beside Kyran, "Just what are you doing?

15. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Woo hoo, another update! :D Loved the interaction between Ja' and Kyran; I gotta say that Ja' is a character who has continued to grow on me over the course of this story. I recall disliking him immensely (pardon the spelling- I'm useless without spell-check) but now you've fleshed him out and he's one of my favorite characters. :)

Loved the bit about the lightsaber jewel; such a thing would be really nifty to have. I hope Ja' is able to give it to Shane, meaning I hope nothing happens to him between now and then! [face_praying]

Great job, you guys! =D=

Stormqueen

16. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I always did love Ja. Even when he was holding Ky so cruelly, I always did thnk him redeemable (sounds like I'm talking about a bond or something. Hey! Maybe I am!). And now he's grown into something really good. The way he's saving something for Shane's coming of age...[face_love]

I hate that snake though. :mad: Like Ja says, Ky had better grow a second skin or something.

Marvelous update!

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Great conversation with Ja and Kyran. I liked the backstory with Ja explaining about his brother and how he made his life so awful. I like how you repeated the idea of life-being-awful with Kyran and his problems with Sehan's apprentice. Good touch there.

Looking forward to more

18. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    You started with a great bit of detail about philosophy studies. Good job.

Oooo. A very ancient and important lightsaber crystal. Very intriguing. If I had to bet, I'd bet that it still works perfectly.

Great conversation between Ja' and Kyran.

19. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    stormqueen874 Ja'thernen seems to be a character growing on a lot of people ;) I didn't care for him that much myself when we started his arch in book I, but I've grown as fond of him as I have of our boys ;) Now why would you think something would happen to him? :p Thanks so much for your comments :)

Princess_Arulmohzi You always liked him? Wow you did better even than I did, because I strongly disliked him at first when Neon and I began writing it, but now I'm afraid I've grown rather attached to him. The snake has his purpose ;) Glad you enjoyed the update, thanks so much for commenting, it's such a nice treat to see a post from you, especially since I know how busy you are!

Dianethx So did we, poor Ja'thernen, he's had a really bad life, even worse than Shane's and he's still good enough to try to want to better himself :) As for Kyran, that snake is a thorn in his side worse than Bruck was with Obi-Wan because he's the padawan of such a powerful Master and Drex and Sehan can't stand each other, which makes things worse for Kyran. Thanks for your kind comments!

Ara-gon Kyran and philosophy would normally get along very well if he had a decent teacher and as far as your bet, we'll you'll have to wait a bit longer to see who wins. Glad you liked the conversation! Thanks for your comments! :D

Post is coming soon :D

20. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    And the post is here. :)

Translations:

e'ta: friend
    e'tane: younger friend
    e'tasan: older friend

Chapter Eighteen: The House of Palpatine

"A nobleman is nothing but a man who says one thing and thinks another." Diego de la Vega, The Mask of Zorro

Shane kept his back straight, his hands folded neatly, and his head slightly bowed as he listened to the proceedings going on, as his Master did. This was perhaps the least favorite of his lessons, even though he knew it was needed. If he wished to be as good as his Master one day, he would have to learn to live through Senate proceedings, no matter how boring they were.

His gaze shifted a little, to his bondmate beside him, and he forced down the smirk that wanted to come up, /Don't fall asleep, ke'en./

/Why not? This is this most boring speech I've ever heard in my life,/ he said around a yawn. /He has a monotone voice./

/You should hear Senator Aquill some time, even Master has trouble staying awake when he speaks, and it takes a few hours just to get through the first paragraph of his speech,/ Shane stated, almost smirking now, /But this should be finished soon./ He glanced up, just a bit to check.

Kyran grumbled a little. /And this is why I'm not in study to be an Ambassador./

/It'll help you in the long run, Ky,/ Shane teased, before a small amount of shock rang through the bond, along with a little affectionate pleasure.

/Oh sure it will. Listening to this speech, will help me do nothing but want my afternoon nap,/ he teased. /And what are you feeling so happy about? It's not over yet./

/Kier is back,/ the thought reflected a fair bit of happiness, /I haven't seen him in nearly a year./

Kyran's brow furrowed. /Who's Kier?/ he asked turning his attention away from the speech to focus on his bondmate.

Shane paused, as he remembered he rarely spoke of his workings outside the Temple with his bondmates. There just never seemed to be a need, most of it boring. /Kieran Palpatine. He's on the level one down from us, straight across./

Kyran searched his memory. /Isn't Palpatine the Senator from Naboo?/

Shane nodded ever so slightly, /Yes. Kier is the Senator's ward. He's been on Naboo the last year in school./

/School? Is he studying at university?/ Kyran asked curiously.

Shane again nodded, smiling just a little, /Yes. He's only twenty one, but he's very intelligent./

/I see. How did you meet him? / Kyran asked.

Shane paused a little, /I met him at the beginning of my apprenticeship. Master is somewhat good friends with the Senator, and they thought it would be good if we two met. They were right./

/You never told me about him, / Kyran's voice wasn't accusing, he was just merely curious as to why his bondmate never mentioned anybody he had contact with outside the Temple. Then again, at the beginning of Shane's apprenticeship had been when he was still an initiate in the creche.

/It didn't seem really important. I never got to see him much. And when I got to see you, I just wanted to spend time with you. Not talk about such boring things,/ Shane explained.

Kyran smiled at that, feeling comforted. /But I'm interested in all of what you do, ke'en, /he replied.

/Except for this,/ Shane teased a little, /But then, I'm not interested. After, I'll introduce you two./

Kyran laughed a little at that. /Right. You're not interested either, /he smirked. /Alright that sounds good to me./

/I think you'll like him,/ Shane stated, grinning just a bit now, /He's heard a lot about you, that's for sure./

Kyran looked at him askance. /Just what have you told him?/

Shane suppressed the soft laugh that wanted to come up, /Nothing horrible, ke'en./

Kyran merely shook his head. /Well that's a relief. /

/You should know me better,/ Shane winked at him, before Zephir's voice flickered through both bonds.

/Perhaps I should be keeping a better eye on you two. You seem to be enjoying yourselves too much for this speech,/ the Master said lightly.

/I almost fell asleep. Ke'en woke me up,/

21. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Palpatine has a ward? :eek: [face_worried] Eeep!

I'm glad Kyran sensed something dark from Palpatine.

22. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Wah! Listen to your instincts, Ky! Stay away from Senator Palpatine! Or better yet, take your feeling to a Master and have it brought to someone's attention! *waves arms around madly* Stop him before he gets even stronger!

Yes, sorry about that- I just really dislike Palpatine, so any AU fic that takes him out of power early on makes me utterly happy. :) Lovely update, you two! I loved the banter between Ky and Shane, and Kier was an interesting character; I'm not quite sure what to make of him just yet. I think I'm reserving judgement for when I know a little more about him- he can't be all that good, considering his proximity to Palpatine. But then again, it is your story, so what do I know?

Again, wonderful update! Thanks bunches for the PM!

Stormqueen

23. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    I have a bad feeling about this.

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    So Kyran senses something from Palpatine and his friends should pay attention. I can agree that they might dismiss it since no one else has noticed but the Force may not always show everything to everyone.

Good job introducing the new character. He sounds like he and Shane have a lot in common. I only hope that Palpatine won't hurt Kier or use him to get to the Jedi.

25. Force_Triad

May 20, 2006
    Ara-gon Yep, Palpatine most surely does and why would you be going eep just at the mere mention of a ward ;) Prejuding him just because of his last name :p Tsk tsk ;) Thanks so much for your comments!

Stormqueen I actually really liked your suggestion, no guarantees of this being AU too soon though ;) but Ky is listening to those instincts of his :D As for Keiran you'll just have to wait and see more if he's good or bad. Glad you liked the banter, it was fun to write. Our first attempt didn't work out so well and Ky didn't react quite as gentlemanly to the news that Shane had a friend besides him :p But we scrapped it and wrote this which turned out much better. Thanks so much for your comments :D

Aya-Na_Bashu Now why would you have one of those? :p Just cause his last name's Palpatine doesn't mean he's evil ;) Thanks for commenting!

Dianethx Yep of course Kyran does. He's more sensitive about people than most Jedi due to the bond and thus is using the gift the Force gave him. It's his gift to be able to change people's hearts and minds. Qui-Gon's is healing and Shane has foresight. As far as Keiran well just have to wait and see :)

Chapter 19: Tendrils of Darkness

An eye can threaten like a loaded and leveled gun, or it can insult like hissing or kicking; or, in its altered mood, by beams of kindness, it can make the heart dance for joy.... One of the most wonderful things in nature is a glance of the eye; it transcends speech; it is the bodily symbol of identity. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

The training floor was littered with obstacles as Drex watched his padawan perform his katas. Kyran excelled at his forms and he worked hard at them. He never used a weapon for this particular training exercise, but he worked with his bare hands. It was foolish to rely on weapons, one never knew when hands would be the only thing you would have.

Drex had set up various things around the room and moved them at random with the Force. There was everything from dirt and pieces of transparisteel to duracreet blocks and wooden boxes. It was a measure of his apprentice's awareness that Kyran did not falter or make a single mistake even with the added difficulty that a random object might try and trip him up. He had been practicing it appeared.

It was time to up the ante.

He removed his own robe and stuck a foot in the middle of Kyran's footwork, tripping him up. They both went down in a tangle of arms and legs.

Kyran was used to his master's tactics of surprising him even in the middle of his katas. One never knew where an enemy would attack, his Master said.

The two rolled over and over, each trying to gain the upper hand. Kyran disentangled himself from his Master first by kicking Drex hard in the chest, and sending him sprawling. Kyran scrambled to his feet, breathing hard, his face red, his eyes shining.

They came together again in the center of the mat, Kyran using his body weight to try and pin his Master. He gained a good hold on Drex's right arm and twisted it slightly. He was rewarded for his efforts with a yelp of pain.

Drex still had one hand free however and his apprentice's hold wasn't solid. He tested his center of gravity and found he still had a good deal of leverage. He used his left elbow driving hard into his padawan's gut. Kyran had hardened his abs, expecting the blow but he had to shift his position to keep his hold on Drex, which gave him the opening he wanted. Drex pulled hard and flipped his apprentice over his shoulder and landed him on the floor with a grunt, the breath knocked from his lungs.

Drex swiftly moved to put his foot on his apprentice's chest, but Kyran was too quick for him. Kyran rolled out from under and kicked at the back of Drex's legs, and he stumbled forward.

Kyran came on him hard and fast, granting him no quarter to rest, not that he would have expected it from his apprentice. In one swift move, Kyran had leapt on his Master's back in a piggyback fashion, his legs dangling off the

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.