main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TO LFL - Stop abusing Han and Leia's Romance!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CMinor, Jan 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMinor

CMinor Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2001
    The people of this thread are calling LFL to stop abusing Han and Leia's marraige, characters and romance. Throughout the EU series, Han and Leia have beens seriously desecrated - they are never together in books, they act like room mates more than a married couple, and thier characterization has slowly gone down hill until they are unrecognizable as the dynamic couple we saw onscreen.

The most recent and most obvious incident occurred in Balance Point, where, after being separated emotionally for ten months, and physically for four, there appeared merely a 2 minute reunion that seriously underminded Han and Leia's romance (in which instead of saying 'I love you', Leia settled for 'you smell like a Wookiee'). From this we can see that Han and Leia's romance, and their characters, have been damaged by the EU books in general and especially in the NJO, where a perfectly good plotline of separation and reconciliation was ruined by a lack of sympathy to the characters.

What is the point of emphasizing so much on the dispair, guilt, and pain of their estrangement if so little was emphasized on the love and happiness of their reconciliation? Han and Leia fans were promised a better reconciliation in the Knightfall series, but then were faced with the cancellation of that series. Along with the cancellation of the Knighfall trilogy, the issue has now been avoided entirely, as if LFL hopes it will go away. There are no plans for this reconciliation, but without this there can be no return to the romance that helped make the movies so popular.

Another main issue is the use of Han/Leia interaction in the book, or rather, lack thereof. Many people flip through a new EU book before they buy it to check the amount of Han/Leia interaction. If it takes someone 5 minutes to read a novel, then they're not going to purchase it, and LFL has lost much of its fanbase due to this.

Throughout the books, Han and Leia have missed out on romance. They do not share affectionate hugs or kisses, they do not share loving and thender words with each other, they do not hold hands when walking down the street, and every time they go on holiday they are attacked by an Imperial remnant. There needs to be a resurgance of the romance and banter in Han and Leia, to prove they never lost their spark.

The characters of Han and Leia, separately as well as a couple, have been reformed and trodden on since the beginning of the series.

Han has changed from an enthusiastic idealist with a streak of cynicism to a cynic with a streak of exuberance. He no longer charges happily into the middle of overwhelming situations, but sits at home and looks after the kiddies. He has lost his sharp tongue, his sense of humor, and all the rough charm that endeared him to audiences - and to Leia - in the first place. He has turned into 'the jerk' - a husband who never thought of Leia during their separation and and showed little reaction to seeing his wife bloody and tortured, and it was left ambigous if he checked out her once the ship hit hyperspace. Is this the same man who nearly fainted when Leia was shot in ROTJ?

Leia's character has been badly abused by the authors in the EU. What was once a loving, compassionate woman who gave up her life cause in ROTJ to rescue the love of her life, has become a boring workaholic who puts her job ahead of absolutely everything, including her husband and her children. She has lost that spark, that fire which drew fans to her in the Original Trilogy.

We also have a plea: let Leia keep her legs. She has been through so much in her life, with Alderaan, the Rebellion, her parentage - and recently, with Han and the Vong. She's already had her head shaved - she's been through enough.

This is a cry for all Han and Leia fans, and to LFL, to stop the abuse of these two wonderful characters. They need to be revived, revitalized. They need to fall in love again.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    quit with the run on's it hurts my eyes. please double space the text.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Much better, :)

4. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Here, here CMinor!

The degration of Han and Leia's romance is the main reason I quit being a fan of the EU books, along with many others. What could have been a beautiful storyline of an estrangement and a reunion turned was very poorly done and carried out.

Since this thread is similar to another thread here in literature, I felt it appropiate to post other Han/Leia fan's (including mine) similar views on this topic:

Thrawn McEwok

"You may not have noticed, but there exists a *very* vocal and passionate body of fans who have have problems with the way the Han/Leia relationship has been treated/developed in the EU... "

______________________________________________________________________________

Yanksfan:

"Uhm, personally, no I am not. Don't get me wrong, I liked how they got married had kids etc. That part of it was fine. But really, they are NEVER shown together. I cannot think of even ONE novel where they went off had an adventure *together*. And if you can, then let me know because I am drawing a blank. And Courtship doesn't count, because the two of them were so out of character that I didn't even recognize them.

Then there's that whole Han becoming an alcoholic jerk thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bash all those SW authors. I just have a simple request: More Han and Leia! And more of them working TOGETHER. And would it *kill* anyone to throw in a *little* romance for them? Luke amd Mara sure get their share.

See? I'm easy to please. :)"

Ariel:

"I absolutely DESPISE the way their relationship has been handled. They act like business partners or roommates rather than a couple in love. The only author to do their romance justice was Hambly where they actually acted married. Why can't they ever be in action TOGETHER? Also, would it kill the authors to throw in a little romance mixed with the action, like in ROTJ? Just a kiss or an "I love you" somewhere?

The NJO has been by far the worst, though. At least in the Bantam series they were married. Then the NJO breaks them up, which would have been all right by me, if they had had a beautiful, romantic reunion scene where Han apologized for treating his wife so badly, makes it up to her, they exchange new promises and vows to one another.

But, no, we can't even have that. If that two-minute "reunion" was supposed to make up for the ten months of pain Han and Leia had been through, you've got to be kidding me. There wasn't even an "I love you" in it. Also, what the heck was the purpose of the "Wookiee breath" comment? That was pointless. They can't even have an hour alone together after their reconciliation to make up for some lost time. What was the point of the books to focus so much on the pain and guilt of their estrangement if there was so little emphasis on the reunion Oh, and then Han can't even bother to CHECK on his bleeding, tortured wife in hyperspace. Again, ripped off of another romance scene.

All I ask is that their romance be given the same attention the Luke/Mara one is given (missions together, romance scenes mixed in.) Apparently that's too much."

Sologal:

"I have to agree with Yanksfan and Ariel. I would love to see Han and Leia share more adventures together and definitely more romance between them. Certainly as much as is written of Luke and Mara. Equal time I say. I also have to agree that the reconcilation in BP was very disappointing. Since it was Han and Leia's picture so promient on the cover, I assumed there would be more focus on them. Unfortunately, that just wasn't the case."

jewlmc:

"The way Han and Leia have been mishandled in the EU is the MAIN reason I quit being a fan. There are other reasons but that was mostly it.

I won't even get into the NJO realism nonesense. a Major failing and they know it.

5. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I hate what has happened to H/L relationship. Please fix it. They deserve better. There still are fans.

6. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Yes! There are a lot of fans out there that are extremely disappointed in the way Han and Leia's relationship has progressed--or can we even call it a relationship?

Some of these fans are older than your average "responder" on these boards. They don't have the time to spend hours on the computer rooting for their favorite couple, or even reading the Han and Leia fanfiction found online (they may not even know that it exists).

But they do have the MONEY to spend on a good book about characters that they grew up with.

They want to find the same magic that they saw as children or teenagers when the movies fist debuted. It is not fair to them to fill books with empty characters--by that I mean Han and Leia that don't act like Han and Leia. It leaves them with a feeling of having wasted their money.

Just because they may not be as vocal does not mean that they deserve any less than to be entertained with the SW galaxy in general.

It is their children, who are now becoming SW fans themselves, that will continue to explore the SW Universe.

Please don't take away the joy that we once found in "escaping" with Han and Leia.

7. Lena

Lena Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2001
    The romance between Han and Leia is what drew me to the Star Wars movies in the first place. I've been a loyal fan for as long as I can remember (I was born in 73, so I don't remember life before SW). Before I even thought of having a computer of my own, and long before I had heard of the internet or fanfiction, I was dreaming up situations for H/L in my head. I had them separated several times, and it was always torturous for both of them. And when they would finally reunite, sparks flew. Therefore, my disappointment in the treatment of my favorite characters is deep. All of my fantasies have been tainted by the so-called canon. How unfortunate. Please, please, please find an author who can do these characters justice.

8. eeyore

eeyore Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    JediMaster -

Please be more civil and polite while posting on this board. I believe the originators started this thread as a petition of presenting their disappointment of the Han/Leia relationship, NOT to insult the people of LFL and resort to name-calling. From the first two posts on this board, it is quite evident that mature and intelligent discussion are the views that are welcome here.

That said, I must say I heartily agree with all of you. I used to be a big fan of the EU during the Bantam series. Then the estrangement occurred - terribly done! It had so much potential for a beautiful, loving reunion which was completely thrown away. Balance Point was the most disappointing book I have ever read in the Star Wars series for the "reunion", or shall we say lack thereof.

I agree with you on the character wholeheartedly. Leia would never put the New Republic over the man she loves and their children. Not the Leia we know and love. Han would never leave Leia so callously.

We can't change what happened in the past, but we can ask the future authors to give Han and Leia back their spark, their passion, their love. They had something truly special, something beautiful. To see it killed in the EU is tragic.

And yes, - PLEASE DO NOT CUT LEIA'S LEGS OFF! How horrible would that be?

9. aleja

aleja Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 1999
    Wow, so many brand new members of the Jedi Council on this thread!

I hope all of you can find the time to join the other conversations on this board.

10. Lady_Vader21

Lady_Vader21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2000
    The thing that has me most disturbed in the fact that Leia could lose her legs. For anyone who says that it's realism, lets be real, if it was Mara Jade or Luke few would stand for it.

11. RANTING_JEDI

RANTING_JEDI Jedi Master star 1

Aug 13, 2000
    For many of us, Han and Leia are ?the? couple of the Star Wars saga. It is unfortunate that the authors both at Bantam and Del Rey have neglected their relationship.

Han and Leia?s relationship developed during the movies into a warm, loving bond. It was evident that there was fire between them from their first meeting. What happened to that fire? It would seem that the profiction authors have not only put out that fire, but also made sure that it stayed out. The couple that shared so many warm feelings now seem more like Felix and Oscar from ?The Odd Couple.?

I understand that as a couples? relationship changes as it grows, but Han and Leia have not grown together. They have grown apart. This extremely disappointing turn of events in the Star Wars story line is what distresses all of us that are fans of Han and Leia.

Leia risked her life and gave up her participation in the Rebellion in order to save the love of her life, Han Solo. Now we see Leia sacrificing everything that should be dear to her ? her home, her husband, and even her children for the sake of the New Republic. Not once do we see that she feels tormented at having to perform her ?duty? at the expense of her family. Even when the twins are bought back from Anoth, she doesn?t have the patience to take care of them hence, instead we see Threepio and Chewie becoming their ?nannies?.

It is conceivable that at some point, Leia would resign herself from her public life, or at least minimize it to the point that her family did not suffer. I could never see her sitting at home knitting sweaters and baking cookies, but she should be able to balance her home life with her public life.

We see Han, heroic and courageous, with a heart as big as his ego turn into a ?Mr. Mom-househusband? that has no important function except to go off on a mission or two when it fit into the story. He was a general, as another pointed out. What happened to his commission?

What we would ask of LFL and Del Rey, is that the relationship between these two beloved individuals be restored. Mend the rifts between them; let them both see how much pain and suffering they have caused each other and allow them to forgive each other and be together once again. Make them a couple who?s deep love and devotion to each other has helped them to survive so many heartaches. Don?t just let us read between the lines; give us the actual scenes, their internal feelings. Don?t just let us assume they love each other; show us.

Regards,
    Ranting Jedi

12. Maul Brady

Maul Brady Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 1999
    Here here to all of ya!

I'ma fan of Luke and mara, but it's unfair that Han and leia, the ORIGINAL SW couple, get so little light, and if they do, it's a very dim one. Ugh. Please fix this!

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Lena...
    Some good observations, some of which seem to parallel my own experiences with the whole Star Wars saga, now around 24 years old.

To all here, it's good you have the courage to speak up about your feelings honestly and to the older SW fans who have been scared off by the EU, welcome back!

14. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    The reason I, and many others, quit buying the books a loooooong time ago is because of the lack of Han/Leia relationship. They have the worst excuse for a loving relationship I have ever seen. Never do they act like a couple in love, and the whole "let's send you both on opposite ends of the galaxy on different missions" is very very old.

The NJO books have been by far the worst. How out of character was it for Han to be a total jerk to Leia and leave her like that? How out of character was it for Leia to leave her grieving husband? And the reunion - ACK! I can't believe I wasted $20 for that. BP was the only book I bought because I heard it held their reconciliation. Never will I be so foolish again.

I also find the cancelled Knightfall Trilogy very unfair to Han/Leia fans. It's like DelRey's just like "Oh well. Too bad, Han/Leia fans. You just get screwed over and miss your reconciliation." Are they trying to make it up to us? Nope.

I only hope they will change things in the future, before they lose even more fans than they have already lost by ignoring this fanbase entirely.

15. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Wow! Thanks to all the Han/Leia fans who've support us here! The more the better!

Since I posted the comments of a similar thread a while back, I thought I would do likewise with another thread that is in the literature forum so that all the comments are together. (I've just included the comments of the people with the same view this thread has) to get a further extension of what many Han/Leia fans feel about the EU books:

Lady Vader:

"I know Han and Leia have had a long relationship, been married, and have nearly grown children and Luke and Mara are a much newer relationship and are "just starting out" down the family rode, but Han and Leia deserve more. The focus on thier romance and even Leia herself has been on a downward slope. I like Mara and all, but Leia is LEIA. She's the first woman of Star Wars and always to me, the most important. How could they even think of permanent bodily harm, what's next DEATH? (Well poor Chewie's been killed--so it's a scary possibility). I'm ready to stop reading the books. "

Lena:

"I personally find it appalling that killing Leia is even a possibility. Give me any female Star Wars fan that was alive in 1977, and I'll show you a woman that wanted to BE Leia. I can't tell you how much time I spent as a pre-adolescent pretending to be Leia because she had it all - beauty, intelligence, the ability to fight for herself. I understand that she's a powerful government muckety muck now, but that is never going to be who she is to me. I find it hard to believe that she would have turned her back on her Jedi training. I believe that she would have become a Jedi because that would have been the best way for her to help the New Republic. It seems that anyone can be a politician, but only a chosen few can be Jedi.

And as for the romance talk, I understand as a married woman myself that a lot of the romance dies with time. However, I can't picture H/L without their banter. That is what defines their relationship, and I think it has been sorely lacking. I have no problem with the Luke/Mara relationship, but just because it's new doesn't make it better or more important. Of course, that's just my opinion."

Whitney_Solo

"Lady_Vader21 I agree with you. Soon the'll go so far the'll kill Leia,Han, and Lando. But Luke will still be here. I don't hate Luke&Mara, but H&L should at least get more parts in the books. Even most of the Fan Fic out there is now Luke and Mara. I'm starting to get sick of them."

LovelyLea

"I agree. I like Mara and Luke just fine too. But Mara wasn't around when I was 12 and 15 seeing the ESB and ROTJ, so I have to say I am more of a Han and Leia fan. I have been extremely dissappointed in the books and the current lack of "new" fanfic out there. I have a son who has (naturally) developed a love for Star Wars but I am wondering if I should encourage it if the books continue to go downhill (IMHO)."

MARA-JADE

"I have to say that even though I'm a big Mara and Luke fan, it is a shame we don't see more of Han's and Leia's romantic side, I feel this has been sorely lacking in all the books, although Dave Wolvertons book was good. It would be nice to see the romance come back, maybe while Leia is recovering from her ordeal at the hands of the Vong."

PennyCentury

"For my part, I haven't bought an EU novel (any coincidence that those initials rhyme with "Ewww!") in nearly four years, and that's entirely due to the short shrift given to Han and Leia's relationship.

I don't care about the non-canon characters (Mara, et al.). I grew up with Star Wars, and I bought the books to read about "my" SW heroes. It disappoints me greatly to see the generation that made Lucas' fortune tossed aside in the eterna

16. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I have to agree with much of what has been posted above... Han and Leia need more time in the EU... they deserve some time in the spotlight....

Would it really be so difficult to conjure up a story that centers around their characters? They were such an awesome team in the movies... Give me those two in an action story and you've got my $6 or $25 or whatever... throw in a little bit of a love scene and I'll buy both the hardcover and the paperback. ;)

From the looks of it, quite a few fans seem to be dropping the EU all together because of their feelings of the H/L relationship. It's an easy fix in my oppinion... Just give the characters a real story to be involved in... that's it. H/L fans would really love it. :)

17. Mikell_Johnson

Mikell_Johnson Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2001
    I have to say I agree with what has been
    said in the previous posts. I am VERY
    disappointed in the Star Wars novels as of
    late. I enjoy Luke and Mara as a couple as
    well as any other die hard fan. I am a
    truly die hard fan. I have been a Star Wars
    afficianado since age 11. I am now 32. I have every figure, vehicle, sticker, record, scrapbook, magazine, mug, plate, doll, garbage can, and bedsheet set they made. It
    has been my stress relief, my amusement, and
    my joy, as well as a source of some very
    positive and lasting friendships with the
    advent of the internet. I have spent tens and more likely hundreds of thousands of dollars $$$ on merchandise from the ORIGINAL trilogy, and continue the tradition with my four year old son who seems to be following in his mother's footsteps. Up until the publishing of the New Jedi Order series, I spent a great deal of money each paycheck feeding my Star Wars love. I have purchased nothing in the last year or so other than the NJO books and I am seriously considering stopping with these last purchases.

Han and Leia were what first drew me into
    the Star Wars universe and kept me there.
    Harrison Ford, still one of the most popular
    actors of the day, made Han Solo who he is
    and LFL seem to have strayed from this.
    Even at age sixty something, Mr. ford is
    still as vibrant and heroic as he was when
    he first stepped foot into the shoes of Han
    Solo in 1977. The Han Solo in the
    literature series as of late is not. I
    applaud allowing him to stay at home and
    take care of the children while Leia
    pursued her political career,like a modern
    couple may choose to do in today's society,
    but this modernism is not what drew me to Star Wars.

What drew me into that galaxy far far away
    is the fact that it was so unlike any
    reality I knew. It was gritty;it was
    callous at times;good might not always win the battle but it did win the war, eventually. It was that special brand
    of chemistry between the unlikely romantic partners of the scoundrel and the princess that kept me a die hard fan. I miss the scoundrel as I know other fans do. I miss the sharp-tongued princess. I miss the banter that made me so excited as a young teenager when I saw The Empire Strikes back and thought "He's going to kiss her!" Actually I screamed it sitting in the open doorway of my parents' van beside my cousins. I cried and could not stop when Han said "I know!" and was led to what I just knew was his death at carbon freezing.

What I miss most are moments like that and that is the reason why it saddens me at what has been allowed to gradually happen to Han and Leia and their romance. I am one of those fans who skims the new novels praying for a glimpse of that movie romance. A gesture, a touch, a kiss, a hug, a romantic scene of any sorts.

I realize that the Star Wars universe is a chaste universe where every family can enjoy safely, but in real life there is romance between long-married couples. They do not always act like simply roommates, as Han and Leia have been in the novels. But, LFL has a tried and true base of fans my age and above, who are tired of all the space fights and political focus of the novels. They want a couple who has stayed together for twenty years to act like a loving couple that has stayed together twenty years. For example Tyers' novel "Balance Point". In this the reunion scene was a short two minute scene. No emotional scene either way. It has been said Ms. tyers chose to just imply the reconciliation, in lieu of showing more Luke and Mara romance. Romance between Luke and Mara is fine, but Han and Leia need equal screen time so to speak. Those fans who if LFL checks out any websites related to the couple,are unhappy with Han and Leia's treatment at the hands of the novelists and LFL, and are the ones keeping this galaxy far far away alive and well, Stop and think about it. Look at the fan base today mostly seven to twenty year olds make up the majority, but I would venture to guess that they each had a mother a

18. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I sure hope LFL is listening.

19. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Mikell...
    "What drew me back full-force was the "Dark Empire" comic series when I realized Han and Leia had gotten married and started a family."

As I have generally suspected. You will find that there are fans here who try and rewrite history minimizing the impact of certain products - especially Dark Empire - at the beginning of the Star Wars resurgence as well as the products that kept Star Wars fans happy prior to 1991. I think generally what Star Wars fans as a whole want with a Star Wars book are the well-established Star Wars characters we've known and loved for twenty-plus years, and not a majority of the products with marginal characters we've known for half that time.

While it's good to get some new ones, we shouldn't have it at the expense of the originals. There's room enough in the galaxy for everyone.

20. RANTING_JEDI

RANTING_JEDI Jedi Master star 1

Aug 13, 2000
    Mikell Johnson,

Your words express what I believe are the thoughts of a lot of Star Wars fans.

I became a fan when I first watched "Star Wars" at the theater in 1977. I was so captured up by the spirit of the movie itself as well as the wonderful characters.

When ESB came along, I was one of many thousands that stood in lines for hours to watch the movie on opening night. The scene where Han is placed in carbonite was heart wrenching, the look on Carrie Fisher's face, priceless.

Part of the excitement of waiting for ROTJ was to see if Han would survive. When Leia takes off her mask and reveals herself to him in Jabba's palace, it was as if a huge sigh of relieve was heard across the country. To watch the scene in the Endor forest when Han swallows his pride and his heart to allow the woman he loves the freedom to be with Luke, should she choose him, is also priceless.

These are what many of us built our foundations of GFFA on; not the novels that followed many years later. These original visions by George Lucas are what we want to see in the novels. I believe that most of the Han/Leia fans on this board feel that the profiction authors have so strayed far away from the original portrayals that we cannot even recognize them as being Han and Leia.

It is my hope that LFL steps in and takes a more active part in these novels. I wish that LFL would just re-start the entire series, giving our beloved characters the proper treatment. Who says you have to follow a time line? There are plenty of books out there that do not follow a time line, yet keep the same characters. This might be a different approach to the GFFA, but it would also regenerate interest in reading, since SW is coming up on its 25th anniversary. What better way to commemorate it than to give new life to what appears to be a lost venture to many of us? Keep the old NJO if you feel the need to appease those fans, but give us, the fans that have been with you for so many years, something we can enjoy and appreciate as well. Remember, too, these are the things we pass down to our children.

Regards,
    Ranting Jedi

21. Pebbles

Pebbles Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    I was one of the original viewers when SW first burst onto the scene in May 1977. I followed faithfully through the early years, spending a truly ridiculous amount of money to view the movies over and over and over again at the big screen theaters with all the bells and whistles. For years, I was a faithful buyer of the comics, then when the original Bantam trilogy was announced, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. For a decade I spent my hard earned money on every single book that came out, hardcover and paperback, and I looked forward to new books as they were announced. I tried hard to ignore the callous treatment of my favorite characters, was grateful for the few lines of romance that the authors threw at us like one would throw scraps to a loyal puppy, convinced myself that surely, if I remained true to the cause, someone would eventually give us a good payback.

Then the NJO reared its ugly head, and things came to an abrupt halt. I've spent my last dollar on an EU book, until the folks at LFL can find a way to write a good SW story without trashing the characters of Han and Leia, denigrating the good sense these two originally had, and in general making a sham of the romance that began all those years ago with A New Hope. I have nothing against Luke and Mara, but the treatment the authors have given Han and Leia over the course of the last series of books is downright shameful.

I'm raising two boys who are also SW fans. I'd like to think that this universe is something I can enjoy with both of them as the years go by. But, after the travesty that was Balance Point, I'm beginning to think that maybe it's just time to let the whole thing fade away. Past glories can never be recaptured.

Especially when beloved characters are subjected to the treatment we've witnessed of late.

Think I'll just take all that money I'd been putting in the pockets of LFL and put it instead into my kids' college fund. The results there will be imminently more satisfying.

22. kerelsen

kerelsen Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    <<This might be a different approach to the GFFA, but it would also regenerate interest in reading, since SW is coming up on its 25th anniversary. What better way to commemorate it than to give new life to what appears to be a lost venture to many of us? Keep the old NJO if you feel the need to appease those fans, but give us,the fans that have been with you for so many years, something we can enjoy and appreciate as well.
    Remember, too, these are the things we pass down to our children. >>

I think that the last line is definitely one to remember. I was fifteen years old when I watched STAR WARS in the movie theater for the first time and I immediately took Princess Leia as a role model. Over the years since, during the explosion of fandom while the first trilogy came out, and the dry years when it was assumed that the phenomenom was over, I always had a place in my heart for Leia Organa and Han Solo. These characters and their relationship in the films made a huge impact on my outlook on life, and have been a source of inspiration and creativity over the past twenty something years.

I still remember how thrilled I was when the Timothy Zahn books came out. Here were my favorite characters again, along with some really interesting new ones. I had high hopes for the future of the books. I was especially happy with the family stuff that Mr. Zahn had put in to them. Yes, Leia and Han were separated a lot in the trilogy, but when they were together, the romance and tenderness was there (I still get sniffy when I read the scene where Leia is nursing the twins and Han is there with her letting one of the babies grab his finger...).

I bought the subsequent books because of the Leia/Han relationship... and over the years I've grown more disappointed in how the characters were handled, how the plots seemed designed to minimize their relationship, and how DIFFERENT it all felt.

My nearly 12 year old daughter is a rabid STAR WARS fan, thanks to being raised in a STAR WARS driven household (my husband even has his own Han Solo outfit to wear each Halloween). But I've diverted her away from reading the new books, because they would disappoint her. She is as big a Han and Leia fan as I am (she also likes Luke and Mara, but H/L comes first with her).

I really do wish that LFL would look objectively at the H/L relationship and how poorly it's been handled and take the steps necessary to bring back the magic between them. I don't want the Luke/Mara side cut back, just equal time and care to be devoted to Han and Leia.

And, I really think that if they ARE going to have Leia lose her legs, they'd better darn well get an author who will handle it with sensitivity and tact and care. I know several amputees (including a double amputee) who are SW fans and when I told them about this particular plot point, they all said that they hoped it wasn't going to be done and just blown off as nothing important. There's a LOT of opportunity for character and relationship development there (including getting Leia to face the facts about her father, and possibly resuming her Force training!). While I really would prefer Leia to be whole and happy, I can accept this plot development if it will be handled well. I'd even *welcome* it if it would be used as a way to bring Han and Leia's relationship back to the loving one that we all fell in love with back in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Just my two credits.

Bernadette

23. Lady_Vader21

Lady_Vader21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2000
    What does GFFA stand for?

24. Serena_L

Serena_L Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Welcome, all my fellow OZers. I'm so glad to see all my mailing list buddies here from the Organa-zation.

In case LFL does not check these boards, is anyone starting a letting writing campaign?

Time to throw in my 2 cents -

Like most of the posters here, I am a Classic Trilogy fan, and a huge Han/Leia one at that. I have a family, a job, and real-life responsiblities like most people here. Many Han/Leia fans do not have the time to get vocal and express our concerns. The fact that we are taking this time out of our busy schedule to do so shows how much we care about our these two characters.

I bought every EU book, no matter how bad, until the NJO. I will not be buying any more of the NJO books until they fix things between Han and Leia. So far the NJO has killed any love between Han and Leia (if there ever was any)! For goodness sakes, at least do a proper estrangement and have it be hell for both of them while they're apart. One questions why they are still together if they seemed fine, especially Han, when they were separated. And the reunion - good grief! Talk about a sorry excuse for romance if there ever was one. It seemed like they didn't even like each other any more. Han doesn't even bother to check on his wife who may be dying in the back of the Falcon? I do NOT buy that.

I don't care if the reunion took place "off screen". I buy the books for the CONTENT. I don't buy to read between the lines and try to see what's not there. It'd be like if ANH skipped from the arrival at Yavin to the medal ceremony. "When did the Death Star get destroyed?" "Oh, it happened between the scenes." That is NOT the purpose of buying the books.

I stopped dishing out money for the books after the DT duology (Leia running around saving the galaxy while her husband is in grief? Completely out of character.) I won't buy them until LFL maybe snaps back in and fixes these two characters I love so dearly.

If Leia loses her legs in the next book, I won't even go near an EU book again. I don't care if it's "realistic and dark", Star Wars is a myth! Leia has been through enough, for Goodness sakes, Alderaan, her parentage, Han, the Vong, Chewie! She does not need to be tortured again! All you people who claim "reality", you wouldn't feel the same way if it happened to your favorite character.

LFL has badly ignored and neglected a huge fanbase, a fanbase that cannot be vocal simply of time restraints. That is not our fault, and we deserve better.

Ending my rant now.

PS - Lady Vader GFFA stands for a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

25. Solochk21

Solochk21 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    I can't think of much to say other than what has been said already, LFL you better be listening, because Han and Leia are getting entirely too ridiculous, and I'm considering, along with many others I believe, to stop buying NJO stuff all together. I jsut can't stand it anymore, "He smelled like a wet wookiee"??!! C'mon, can we please have some kind of decency here? I know you want to be realistic, but this is over the top, who wants to know if Han smells bad, I'm sure Leia wasn't a sweet little rose either.
    Okay, rant over...
    Back to watching The English Patient...
    Solochk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.