main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TO LFL - Stop abusing Han and Leia's Romance!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CMinor, Jan 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eeyore

eeyore Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Leia says "How dare you say that?" and Han tells her "Careful, I'm not in the best of moods."

He was such a total bastard in those books, *I* wouldn't have taken him back without some serious apologizing first. I think Leia was far too generous on him. And *SHE* apologized first?! What was with that?! He should have been the one to have gone to her and asked her to take him back.

One of the other reasons why I did not like Balance Point.

2. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    What was the comment about Alderaan? I've forgotten.
    -Leela.

3. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    Leia tells Han she understands what it's like to lose people you care for, and Han goes "Don't even get me started on Alderaan."

Sorry, but Han would NEVER say that. No matter how pissed off he was. I don't know why everyone thought Lucenco had such great characterization of Han, unless everyone sees Han as some selfish jerk.

4. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    I know! It didn't even make *sense* for Han to say that. I mean, yes, Chewie was his best friend and he would be very upset. Now he should multiply that by like atleast 100 to get what Leia went through.

more like by a million.

It's unbelievable. That's way too low a blow.

5. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    EDIT: double post.

6. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    Uppers-page 2 is in sight

7. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I thought James Lucenco (sp?) had bad characterization of Han too. I don't know why everyone was like "Hey, Han's back!" That was NOT Han. The wisecracks were in character, but his deliberate cruelty to Leia wasn't.

I didn't like the reunion either in BALANCE POINT, but there isn't really much use complaining about it now, since the book is already out, so I guess we'll just have to hope the next book does better.

8. JediSchmedley

JediSchmedley Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2001
    Hear hear! Sorry about replying to the first posting so late but I just got my password. This is so true-no more Han/Leia defamation...PLEASE!

9. Leela

Jan 17, 2001
    You're right, he wouldn't have said that. But the novels are full of stuff neither of them would say. Or do.
    -Leela.

10. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, sometimes I think the authors saw different movies than I did. I mean WHERE in the movies was Leia ever portrayed as a cold, passionless, workaholic? She was emotionally distant in ANH to others but at least she had her spunk and spirit. And then in ROTJ she was compassionate and loving, in particular to Han. Grrr...makes me mad to see my favorite character destroyed lik that.

11. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
  12. CorellianBlue

CorellianBlue Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2001
    A possible solution -- ignore the canon and write/read our *own* versions of THE WAY THINGS REALLY ARE!
    Long live Fanfiction!

CB

"This is an obsession. I never understood it!"

13. Leela

Jan 17, 2001
    Want to see something REALLY depressing? Check this out-
    http://www.starwarskids.com/ecard/valentine/

It's a VALENTINE'S Day card! And the only romantic couple (to date) in the SW theatre get ONE pic. ONE pic! Alongside JAR JAR no less!!!!!

Think we might be fighting a losing battle guys...

14. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    *gasp* Page 2! I gotta up this thing...

Although I was disappointed with BALANCE POINT for the lack of romance, I think Kathy Tyers did a good job with Leia's character, she wasn't as cold and passionless as she usually is in the books (I am soooo sick of seeing her portrayed that way. Leia was either fiesty (ANH and beginning of ESB) or warm and loving (end of ESB and all of ROTJ). Never was she portrayed as a cold fish, so I have no idea where the authors get that from.) Zahn also wrote her quite well, and Hambly. The worst: Wolverton, hands down. Next: the guy who wrote the BFC, forget his name....

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Everyone loves Jar Jar! ;P

And look on the bright side- Leia got a nice picture in there with Lando (He's so smooth...)

16. Leela

Jan 17, 2001
    Okay, getting blunt now, people-
    How is it that H&L can't be given anything like a romantic scene in the novels lest it offend the delicate sensabilities of the 10-15yr old male market, yet they can blatantly masterbate a YVong 'Yammosk' (otherwise known as a Starship Troopers brain-bug) in 'Jedi Eclipse'? Page 88 people; check it out.

Oh, and I must add, I have no problem with said scene; I just want equal regard for H&L.
    -Leela.

17. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    LOL no way! I didn't realize that.

It's not a problem with the age group it is geared toward. I think it's a problem with LFL thinking no one is interested in the Han and Leia relationship. Leia and Xizor, Leia and Isolder, Han and Bria, Han and Xaverri, Luke and Mara, Luke and Callista, Corran and Mirax, etc, etc. have all gotten way more inneundos that Han and Leia ever got. Remember how steamy Shadows of the Empire was, and how it said Xizor "used" Guri for pleasurable purposes and how he hung nude pictures of Leia on his wall? Xizor and Leia got farther than Han and Leia ever did in the books (Did they EVER have sex in their entire marriage? Was that ever implied once?)I don't think it's a problem with the age group, but that LFL feels there is a lack of interest in the Han/Leia relationship. Which is why we need to prove otherwise.

18. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    "Okay, getting blunt now, people-
    How is it that H&L can't be given anything like a romantic scene in the novels lest it offend the delicate sensabilities of the 10-15yr old male market, yet they can blatantly masterbate a YVong 'Yammosk' (otherwise known as a Starship Troopers brain-bug) in 'Jedi Eclipse'? Page 88 people; check it out.

Oh, and I must add, I have no problem with said scene; I just want equal regard for H&L."

I beg your pardon!?

//distressed and confused

19. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    The Leia from the films, if just recently reunited with the man she loves beyond everything after a year-long separation, would not give a damn what his breath was like. That would be the last thing on her mind. I'm sure he couldn't have smelled that great after carbonite.

Aside from that, her characterization wasn't bad...like Leia ready to go down with the cause. I liked that. But the line about the Wookiee breath was waaaay off character.

20. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    I find female writers write Leia MUCH better than male writers. With the exception of the woman who wrote the Crystal Star, all the female writers have written Leia quite well. Female writers also tend to give more romance between Han and Leia.

21. Jedi_Bratzilla

Jedi_Bratzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2000
    So many eloquent words have already stated the case.

I'm just lending my voice to this noble cause.

Han and Leia are the embodiment of so many classical themes found in literature - the hero's quest to earn the love of his maiden, the mystery and power of true love, and so forth.

If Luke represents the meaning of the saga, then Han and Leia are most definitely its heart. They fought together, and fought for one another.

Their treatment in the novels is worse than a disgrace. It is a sacrilege, and one that cannot be rectified soon enough.

To those who will listen, and are in the position to change this, stop abusing their relationship. Han and Leia have suffered and sacrificed enough.

PLEASE give this couple their due. They, and their fans, deserve no less.

Regards,
    Brat.

22. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    Yea!! More Han and Leia!! Please!!

23. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
  24. eeyore

Jan 19, 2001
    Wait....where does Han say he's not sure Leia loves him? ARG! And then there's that crap about Leia thinking Han loves Chewie more than her in the Chewbecca comic. Wow they have such a SECURE marriage.

25. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Really eeyore? Leia thought that?

Hmph. NO I don't subscribe to that theory at all. How could he love Chewie more? NEXT TIME MARRY THE WOOKIEE THEN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.