main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To like Jag or not to like Jag? That is the question

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Miss_Jaina, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    yeah, for all we know he might be the worst character in the world, but a few slight pages and everyone acts as if he is the next Messiah.

I think Id like him a bit more if hed be mentioned in other books. He basically dissapeared for five books, not even a mention. Then suddenly, he'll appear and we have to accept him as a main part?

Providing EC does a good job with him, it should work out fine and dandy. If not though, he could mess up a LOT of books (remember, hed end up being around after the NJO too)

2. Miss_Jaina

Miss_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Well we have gotten quite a few varying opinions of Jag. I wonder how many more we will find.

Hey chissdude where are you? I hear you have a strong opinion on this topic.

3. Miss_Jaina

Nov 30, 2001
    Where are my faithful posters?

People why do we hate Jag? Why do we love him? Someone tell me please!!!!

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    why do i like him better, he did not blow up a plant thats why, when a culture says we want war with you but we are not going to fire the first shot, he was raised by these standards thats why he's beter than kyp.

5. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I dunno why I like him. I just do.

6. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "why do i like him better, he did not blow up a plant"

How do we know that? He might like blowing up rose bushes in his spare time. :)

Seriously, though, how do we know he hasn't committed some grave atrocity in his past? If he had, do you think he would have blurted it out in the 3 or so lines he had?

7. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I dunno, I just have this tendency to decide whether or not I like a character the first time they appear. It's only worked out wrong once, when the character I liked in a (non-SW) book turned out to be one of the major villians.

But I'm sure Jag's a nice guy. He seemed like one in RSBF.

8. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    it is very unlikley that he has considering they banished thrawn, think about it they banished thrawn when he could set up fleets the way he wished and elimnate them when he wished, most goverment would given such a person a medel for a premtive strike like that.

yet they banished fo a preemptive strike it was such a moral imperitive,now think would they contruct such a wepon, most govt's would kill for such a tactical genious yet they let him go much to the chisses own dispostion greatly weakening they're own fleet.

9. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    "it is very unlikley that he has considering they banished thrawn..."

Right, but didn't Jag Fel grow up with the Chiss who are loyal to Thrawn, not the main Chiss society? If it's stated in the short story that he grew up in the main society, let me know, I haven't read it. It seems to me that he would have stayed with his father at Thrawn's base, where all the Chiss are loyal to Thrawn and do not have the same morals. I'm sure Thrawn would not be adverse to some sort of large scale destruction if it suited his needs, so maybe his followers wouldn't be, either.

10. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    while he may have done a premptive strike other than his mind and cloaking devices, he did not use any so it is unlikey that he would waste the reasoures being such a geneios and looking at the history where a 10 year old could tell they were a waste of resoures, but a 10 year old would say it in 10 year old terms.

edit: also using comon sense them main chiss force has proble called on him for some joint chiss action so they would still mingle with main chiss, also other than the premptive strike the military codes are probably very similar.

11. Sel

Sel Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2001
    I don't like Jag because he's a nice guy. I like him because he is proper and imperial and a superior pilot.

The last point alone is enough. I'm hard pressed to think of an impressively good snubfighter jockey I don't like. But Jag isn't your normal "jump on the desk" Rogue. He's very mature and driven. He knew back in Ruin about all the evils out there- the reasons they fight- before Jaina had gone up against any of that. I think (hope) he's going to be a calming influence on her, always keeping the mission in mind, over personal feelings. And remember- through his years in the unknown regions, he's lost a couple of siblings himself.

12. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I really haven't read enough about him to form an opinion, but i am sick of hearing about him because every other thread seems to have something to do with Jag. But at the moment, whenever I'm not pissed off, I'm neutral.

13. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    "edit: also using comon sense them main chiss force has proble called on him for some joint chiss action so they would still mingle with main chiss, also other than the premptive strike the military codes are probably very similar"

How is that common sense? Once again, I haven't read the short story, so I'm basing this off the assumption that Jag grew up with his dad at Thrawn's base. Joint Chiss Action? Thrawn was an exile, once his followers chose to support him, they were outcasts from there society, too. Seems to me the main Chiss society would look down upon Thrawn's followers with the same disdain they hold for Thrawn himself. Why would they do any joint excercises with people they have exiled from their society?

14. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    while they banished him it would probly be covert help, and where do you think he gets his people not all them can be banished he has to have some volentires that are disatified with the main chiss empire's policys,he is probly agnolged on some level. perhap hes semibanishment.

15. Face Loran

Mar 21, 1999
    His followers are those who share his moral philosophy or decided there were threats that needed to be fought, and were willing to overlook Thrawn's questionable morals. Once they chose to leave the mainstream Chiss society and join Thrawn's Phalanx, it makes sense they would have been considered outcasts from there society. So maybe the Chiss government didn't explicitly say that each and everyone of his followers received a banishment, but the point is still valid. They were still considered outcasts. How does it make sense that the Chiss society would conduct joint operations with the followers of a person they considered their enemy? How does this suggest he or his followers mingle in Chiss society?

16. Sel

Sel Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2001
    Actually, forget my post above. I like Jag because Jaina thinks he?s cuuuuuute. [face_blush]

And because, as has been mentioned before, if they get married, I?ll be able to spend many amusing minutes doodling out a really cool extended family tree for them during a boring class one day. Scratch that, I?ll do it anyway.

And, he?s about my age. [face_mischief]

And, he can give Jaina a piloting run for her money. Even without the force! :eek: [face_plain]

And he has jet black hair. [face_love]

Wait a minute, I have a picture in my head from the Dark Tide Duology, but I don?t have the books with me? wasn?t he described there as medium height, and slender? But since then, I?ve heard him being described as (from the gamer story) shorter and stockier. Then again, all the good one-man craft pilots are shorter... or Anakin Skywalker... can someone remind me what the description form Dark Tide was?

17. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    he was always very sucseful they would probably do it to keep more than the usaul amount from going to him, and since they dislike premtive attacks they would probably have him soften up an enemy as an unofficall brance of the military so they don't have to dirty their values and morles only slightly. he would be willing to do it.

18. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Don't you think he changed between 14 and 19?

19. Miss_Jaina

Nov 30, 2001
    Thanks guys! I'm loving these answers.

I thought it was between 18 and 21. I could be wrong.

20. Sel

Sel Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2001
    I was short at 14. :( Still short. Hey, maybe there's hope! People have growth spurts at 20, Right? Right?!

My point wasn't to point out any percieved innacuracies, but to be reminded of his description; like I said, I haven't read the gamer story, and I haven't read Ruin in over a year.

He does have jet black hair, right? :D

21. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    My past posts have made it sound as if I don't like Jag. But honestly I don't have enough information to form an opinion. I have acted down on him because I hate the love at first sight stuff. SBS said she loved Zekk, but there was no spark of attraction. Personally, I think that's typical hormonal teenage thinking. The best relationships come from best friends. I'm not saying she should go for Zekk, but it's just hormonal to show so much interest in somone you know nothing about. Sorry if I offended any teenagers, but I'm 25 and I already went through the pain of that type of thinking when I was a teenager.

22. BARA-DAM

BARA-DAM Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2001
    I know too little about him to form a honest opinion.

23. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    He was just described as taller than Jaina but not as tall as Ganner. I get the impression that Ganner is pretty big, so that doesn't mean he isn't tall.It was just a comparison. He was decribed has having wiry muscles, which means he's not bulky...which I prefer. :D

In the Gamer story all it said was that a lot of training made him "not quite as gawky as some teens" or something very close to that. Some people ran with that and translated it into stalkiness. I didn't interpret it that way at all.

24. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I really don't think we can decide whether we like him or not until we actually get to know him. Give the guy more than 5 pages and I might be able to tell you. But i do know he'll never be able to compare to Kyp, so why even discuss it? Jaina and Kyp all the way!!!!!

25. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for making me vomit. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.