To Live Life as Strangers --JA (**Special Editon** repost)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jedi_master_gimpy, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    Alrighty, this is actually a pretty old story, my second JA ever to be exact. It?s one of my personal favorites, along with A Place to Call Home and A Glance Through the Looking Glass (is it possible to say that without sounding at least a little conceited? [face_blush] )

I remember being accused of a number of interesting things the first time around ? from giving people nightmares and fear of animals whose eyes glow in the dark to having Kleenex stock and wanting to make sure that sales went up. ;)

Anywho, while looking back through it I realized that I was actually ashamed of quite a bit of the writing, so as a result I?ve gone back and re-vamped the entire thing ? changing every old scene and adding a number of new ones as well. So here it is, the special repost for those who?ve already read it and hopefully an enjoyable experience for those who haven?t yet.

Be forewarned to expect lots and lots of angst followed by a satisfying amount of mush, as well as a few small plot twists. Seeing as re-doing a story is soooooo much easier than starting from scratch, you can expect somewhat lengthy and fairly regular (hopefully daily! :) ) posts. I do have to ask that if you?ve already read it, while you can make comments or allusions, please don?t give away what happens for those who haven?t! Without further ado?.

DISCLAIMER: Although it greatly saddens me to admit so, I do *not* own Star Wars or Obi-Wan (*sigh*). They belong to good ole? George and I am making no profit whatsoever. Narshia Loy?na, however, is an original character created by myself.
    RATING: PG-13 for a couple fighting scenes, a few witnessed deaths for good measure ;) and a very occasional swear word
    SPOILERS: Definitely for JA #5&6, as well as smaller spoilers for #7

TO LIVE LIFE AS STRANGERS

by Jedi Master Gimpy

//Obi-Wan!//

Qui-Gon Jinn sat up in bed drenched with sweat. He tugged automatically on the Force-bond he had once shared with the blue-eyed, brown-haired boy but found it hacked in half, ending in torn splinters that left him raw inside. The emptiness was too much to bear and he tried to stand, his disobedient legs tangling up in the long sheets and dumping him to the ground instead. Qui-Gon fought with the confining material and finally succeeded in struggling to his feet and stumbling to the refresher.

He flicked on the light, the sudden brightness of it searing into his brain and jolting him fully awake. Qui-Gon splashed cold water on his face to wash away the residue of dried tears and took a few deep breaths before meeting his gaze in the mirror. His long brown hair was pulled back from his pale, withdrawn face and the midnight blue eyes that gazed back at him were filled with sorrow and guilt. Black circles marked the long nights where he was no longer able to find the sleep. His nightclothes looked a few sizes too large and hung loosely on his broad frame. Hadn?t they fit just months ago? What had happened to him?

He knew.

Nightmares had plagued Qui-Gon ever since? ever since?NO! He would not, could not think about that. But his mind refused to let him go. It kept replaying the events over and over, trapping him in an endless cycle of grief and blame. Grief he had caused because there could be no other person responsible. Qui-Gon had dug his own grave of mistrust and then shoved someone else into it. Someone he had loved dearly. If not for him then Obi-Wan wouldn?t be?

Qui-Gon?s breathing quickened and caught in his throat again, the guilt clawing at his heart. He stumbled out of the refresher and onto the balcony connected to his room. Outside, the cool night breeze of Riftan slowly calmed him, the peaceful twinkling lights of the capital city seeming to sing reassurance that life and the Force would continue on no matter what. But they didn?t sing to him, they comforted another Master a room away. They promised her that her young padawan had not died in vain. Her young Padawan, not his. Never his again because he had made sure of it. Hers. Not his, not
  2. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Gimpy, I thrilled to see a repost and with added/changed scenes????

I'll be here reading every word!! :) :)

Post often, post soon!!!
  3. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    You and me both Leona. This was an exceptional story and I recommend everyone read!!!

WARNING..... have tissue at the ready at all times, you're gonna need it :_|
  4. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks SO MUCH Leona and Kelly!! :D I have to admit, I'm really enjoying going back over this story!!

You can expect the next post tomorrow morning or possibly even later tonight - it's one of the new scenes. :)
  5. ApprenticeM Jedi Master

star 4
    A special editon??COOL!!! :D Post soon please!!!!
  6. Cow_Girl Chapter Rep Niagara ON, CA

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    A special edition sounds great to me!

Especially when it is of such a great story

such as this! :)
  7. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw this posted and though *wait, I've read this before* Then I tried to come up with the story line and could't.

However, I opened it and read the first couple sentences and then remembered...

...and then I really remembered! Needless to say I've got my hankies all ready!

I can't wiat to read the special edition and see those new scenes. gee, it's like a fanfic on DVD! (do we get out takes too?) :D

Can't wait!
  8. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL..... fanfic on DVD! [face_laugh]
  9. Renton Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    *Screams like she just saw Ewan McGregor.* AH! GIMPY! ANOTHER STORY! *DOES LITTLE DANCE!* WOOHOO!
  10. I love Sci Fi Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, I remeber this one, I started, but I never finished. :D I feel like I get another chance to read it!!! :D Yipee!!!
  11. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, thanks so much for reading everyone!!! I really appreciate it!

Lol Susie - fanfiction on DVD? :D Only you could come up with that! ;) And it looks like we already have the Jedi Jig of Joy going with Renton.... ;)

Here's a "Special Edition" post... ;) The first half is a completely new scene.

~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~

Four months earlier

Obi-Wan Kenobi knew something was wrong when he woke up that morning. He was unsettled, and it was more than just not sleeping well the night before. It was a deep foreboding that originated deep inside of him, unexplainable but present nonetheless.

The young teenager reached out to the Force in an attempt to grasp some sense of what was wrong, but the Temple stretched out around him in its normal routine. He could hear Master Jinn moving around the quarters they shared but the bond in his mind was reserved and cool, as it had been since two weeks ago when they first returned to the Temple from Melida/Daan. The last few days the Jedi Master seemed even more indifferent than normal towards Obi-Wan, but the youth had taken it in stride believing the attitude was more than condoned by his mistake in leaving the Order. He had endured the painful silence quietly, being merely grateful for the time with Qui-Gon Jinn as his teacher.

He supposed his feelings for his mentor were a sort of hero-worship. Qui-Gon seemed so distant because he was above everything else ? he was wise and strong in the Force, a wonderful negotiator and excellent swordsman. Obi-Wan had always had an ideal image of a Master-Padawan relationship, one full of caring and respect on both sides. Since becoming a padawan himself, the notion had been dispelled into one less appealing but after all that had happened he merely considered himself lucky to be the padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn. Or rather, the Force was with him.

Whichever the case, it was time to face the day ahead. Obi-Wan gathered a clean set of tunics and took a five-minute shower. His still-fledgling padawan braid was neatly rebraided and his padawan-cut still glistening with water when he entered the small kitchen and dining area. Qui-Gon and he normally ate together, so he was surprised to find that the elder Jedi was already finished, although he remained at the table reading a report from a datapad.

Apologizing, Obi-Wan quickly sat down and began to eat, eyeing his master surreptitiously as he did so. Qui-Gon?s hair was impeccably groomed back from his face, his calm expression inscrutable. His gaze never once raised from the datapad, and a rather ominous silence descended broken only by the sound of Obi-Wan?s eating.

When the teenager had finished he silently collected his dishes as well as Qui-Gon?s and rinsed them off in the sink. The Jedi Master didn?t say a word. It was only as he was leaving the room to start his morning meditation that Qui-Gon finally spoke.

?We are expected before the Council in an hour.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan replied dutifully. ?Are we receiving a new mission?? His heart rose at the thought, tired of being cooped up at the Temple on probation.

?No.?

Obi-Wan waited for some other explanation but none was forthcoming. Suppressing a sigh, he turned and headed for his room. The discussion bothered him, and he realized with a frown that the last time Qui-Gon had spoken to him so indifferently and completely uncaring was?.well, was before Obi-Wan had been his padawan. A small thread of fear worked its way up his spine. Obi-Wan could logically think of no reason for it, but it was there all the same.

~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~

Qui-Gon Jinn entered the Council chambers silently. He did not say a word to the small thirteen year-old shadow that railed miserably behind, who was becoming more apprehensive with each step. Obi-Wan was unsure of what was happening, but he had a feeling it wasn?t good.

Qui-Gon, in all truth, had already separated himself from the young boy. He was prepared, mentally and e
  12. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy... :( :(

I forgot to have the tissues handy.. sniff, sniff...

That was excruciatingly painful Gimpy!! How can Qui-Gon simply reason "but it has nothing to do with you.? ????

Excellent post!! :) :)
  13. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh wow, that post was powerful the first time I read it and it only became that much more with the added scene :_|

Qui-Gon you make me so mad sometimes I could just scream :mad: ;)
  14. ApprenticeM Jedi Master

star 4
    :_| :_|

That was sssooooo sad!! Qui could've given Obi a little warning about what he was doing, the way he did it was so MEAN!!
  15. Jedi Susie Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, someone better bring a stock pile of tissues cause I'm, already having troubles and it's not even to the worst yet! Yes, for those of you who haven't read it, it gets worse...but in that "gee-this-is-terrible-but-I-love-it-way. Just have tissues ;)

I'm glad to see this back up, esp. with regular updates!
  16. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nasty bad, naughty Qui-Gon. To do that to Obi without any warning at all! You deserve all that guilt that was in the first post!
  17. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    Heheheh, yes, I should remind you all yet again to keep kleenex by the computer during the course of this story to prevent water damage to keyboards,etc. ;)

I have to agree with you guys that Qui-Gon definitely appears rather heartless and cruel at this part in the story, however at the same time he's had many experiences that make it hard for him to trust. Although even with that I'm on Obi's side of course... ;)

LOl Susie - that "gee-this-is-terrible-but-I-love-it-way" :D

Thanks for reading, more tomorrow morning!

Levitating!
  18. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Tomorrow???? And exactly what is wrong with tonight.... in fact how about right now!!!!!

:D :D :D
  19. jedi_master_gimpy Force Ghost

star 4
    :p I have to work tonight!!

Gaaah I am *soooooo* busy - my mom is gone for the week, my dad is busy getting ready for the next school year, I have two sisters, one of which is a five-year-old who needs tons of supervision, I have homework for next school year, we have two Japanese girls staying with us right now, and I'm considered the official chauffeur since I can drive!!! :eek:

If I have enough energy when I get home tonight I'll post, but no promises ok? ;)
  20. Renton Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    *Cries and kicks Qui-Gon in the gut.* Jerk! He came back! Dedicated himself to repairing your stupid Master - Padawan bond! Now he's dead! I hope your puny conscience is so full of guilt that you go jump of the Jedi Temple and DIE! Or even better yet, I'm going to watch The Phantom Menace and laugh when Darth Maul runs you through with his lightsaber. You Jedi Master of being a JERK! There is so much more that I can say about you but number one, I think most of the people here feel the same way that I do and number two I don't want administraitors to be upset.

(Gimpy, why does it seem everytime I read one of your stories I get this way? ;) Great Job! You made me cry!:()
  21. Kaylla_Norn_II Jedi Knight

star 2
    ummmmm obi-wan's not really dead is he? I missed this first time around and um.... please find energy to post tonight please. and someone um if you don't mind pming me with weather he is really dead or not I would appriciate it greatly. um this thread definitly excersises the tear glands.....

Please post!
  22. I love Sci Fi Force Ghost

star 4
    WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
  23. KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Master

star 4
    It's great to read this again Gimpy! I forgot this is one of the few stories that actually makes me cry. Gotta remember to move the tissues by the computer.
  24. KenobisGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought this story sounded familar, so I went to your website Gimpy, then the fanfic, and slapped myself in the forehead! DUH! This is one of my favorites and I am so happy it now has a special edition!

More soon please! :D :D
  25. Abbi_Cee Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember this story. I read it sometime ago, I just can't remember when or where. I do remember, however, how much I liked it. So glad to be reading it again, especially with the revisions and additions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.