main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To Live Life as Strangers --JA (**Special Editon** repost)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jedi_master_gimpy, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Gimpy, can we have a post today please? I've been good, really!!!

2. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Leona - Yes, I think one of the reasons Qui-Gon is such an interesting character is because he is so complex and almost contradictory with what he seems to think/believe and what he often shows. That makes him so easy to pick on... ;)

Susie, loved the greenness line! (although if Narshia heard you say that she'd probably come after you for likening her to the troll!) :D Oh, hey I wanted to ask you - I'm going to be gone Sun-Wed so I was wondering if I could email you a couple of posts and then you could put them up for me, depending on the begging you get and the good grace of your heart? ;)

I think GL would have a heartache - not to mention Ewan McGregor - if they saw what all we do to the poor guy, Kelly! :D ;)

Thanks, KADI! :) Sci Fi - Mwuhahahahahahah! ;) I suppose, since you've been well behaved, M....

~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~

Obi-Wan looked around the narrow street and felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Just a few steps away people were working, walking by, talking and laughing. Here, inside the blue circles of the wraith?s territories, there was nothing. People avoided it, as did animals. There were no chirping birds, no scurrying rodents, no cats prowling the allies. The buildings, obviously empty for some time, had absolutely no sign of life, as though an oppressive death shroud hung above them.

Obi-Wan stepped closer to Qui-Gon.

The tall Jedi Master was surveying the area without any apparent unease. ?Let?s take a look inside one of the buildings,? he suggested.

The two masters took the lead, Obi-Wan following them into the dilapidated building. A few crates in one corner suggested it had once been a warehouse, but the room had long since been abandoned. There was a thin layer of undisturbed dust on the floor and boxes but something seemed to be missing. The padawan frowned when he realized what it was. Despite the dust, there were no animal droppings or even cobwebs. It was completely void of any sign of life, save the Jedi?s footprints. Even the spiders left this area alone, he thought.

They walked deeper into the building, past empty rooms, and down empty halls, through an alleyway and into another empty building. Obi-Wan could feel the Force ever present around him, but strangely silent. It was there undiminished, only strangely?silent. The warm ?feeling? he had long identified as life ? anything from a sentient being to a tiny bug ? was absent here. It was so empty.

It was creepy.

They entered a long, high-ceilinged room. By Obi-Wan?s internal map they had to be near the center of the wraith?s territory, although he couldn?t be sure. More crates had been stacked against the walls in haphazard rows, a few abandoned boxes left scattered in the middle next to an old scaffold. Behind one particular stack of crates the Jedi found a small doorway cut into the fermacrete and a run-down stairway that led to an underground warren of tunnels and branches cut into the stone and dirt and leading up into different buildings in the area.

Down here there were small rodents lying off to the side on the uneven ground, for all purposes void of life. Their bodies were all in various states of decomposing and reeked, but there was no animal willing to wander down and eat the physical remains.

Qui-Gon stopped abruptly and Obi-Wan was forced to screech to a halt rather than plow into the taller man?s backside. In front of him the Jedi Master was suddenly tense, his hand resting on the hilt of his lightsaber. Obi-Wan peered around him but saw nothing.

?Narshia,? Qui-Gon said softly, tilting his head slightly off to the right.

The golden-haired master?s head swiveled in the indicated direction and the teenager knew she had spotted whatever it was by the small gasp that slipped out. His eyes went over the space again, open but shrouded in shadows. He passed over it again, and then the tiniest of movements drew his eyes back to it. Obi-Wan straightened ab

3. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    Thank you gimpy!! And I have both Maul's and Obi's lightsabers, think that'll be enough?

And I don't like the way that wraith was thinking.......

4. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    I'd be more than happy to post parts for you. I'm honored you asked me :D

I remember reading the wriath's POV last time thinking how chilling it was- it was just as good this time!

I love how you protrayed the Jedi in dealing with the wraith and how it even had a scaring effect on them. Nice to know they are human :)

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree with Susie how the Wraith's POV was very creepy. And I loved how after Obi-Wan felt the oppressive death shroud hanging above them, he automatically stepped closer to Qui-Gon.

FAbulous post Gimpy!! :) :)

6. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    Wow, that was great! The wraith is quite creepy! Yikes! I love it! :)

"The two were still a team, no matter how much they fought it." - Narshia is seeing this, why can't the men?!?! ;)

"The wraith watched them go.

Watched.

And waited."

Can everyone say 'cliffhanger'? I'm dying to find out what happens next! :)

Post often, and post soon! ;)

:D

7. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I liked how Obi & Qui worked as a team, without even realizing it, how Obi stepped closer to Qui when he was feeling nervous, and the very spooky wraith POV. I love Qui's mixed up feelings.

can we have the next post, now, please. :)

8. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    OH MY GODS, I remember this! from a long time a gone. If I remember right Obi-Wan... :D

9. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Ooooo, glad I didn't read that one last night before I went to bed.

10. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    M, you might want to pick up one of Qui-Gon's as well.... ;) Thanks so much, Susie! :) I'll email them to you tomorrow sometime? Laura, all I have to say is - Mwuhahahahahahah!!! ;) Cheryl - Shhhhhhh!

Here y'all go! :D Oh, and about the whole timeline thing so it doesn't get too confusing... when it says so many days previous on the top of the post, it's a countdown to the "present."

Obi-Wan tossed and turned in his bed, trying to get comfortable enough to sleep and, even more important, trying not to think about that afternoon.

Every time he managed to finally get comfortable and drowsiness began to settle in he would see them in the darkness. Those two glowing red orbs, watching him. His eyes would fly open and he would sit up, one time even calling out ?Lights!? and making sure the creature hadn?t followed them back before pulling the sheets up to his chin again.

It was making it quite difficult to sleep.

The teenager changed positions on the bed and plumped up his pillow, trying to calm his racing mind so that he could sleep. As much as he disliked the long hours Qui-Gon had always reserved for meditation, the idea seemed appealing at the moment.

No matter what he did he couldn?t seem to forget those beady red eyes and that pink tongue licking at the air. The memory of what had happened in the underground tunnels that afternoon was too new in his mind. In all truth, it scared him.

Oh, he knew that Jedi weren?t supposed to feel fear. But that was easier said than done ? in fact, easy to say and almost impossible to do. Throughout his young life he had realized on thing that the masters didn?t always tell you ? it wasn?t the fear itself that was so dangerous, it was letting it control you.

Although in this case it certainly was controlling his ability to sleep!

The thing that scared him the most was that he hadn?t even sensed it. Obi-Wan had been walking down the tunnels thinking everything was fine and not even knowing that the?thing was following them for Force knew how long. Stalking them. Hunting them.

And they hadn?t even known it.

Qui-Gon and Narshia had talked it over when they had gotten back to the hotel. Obi-Wan had been in his room while they sat in the sitting room, talking in hushed tones in an effort not to frighten him. It was too late for that, he thought with a wry smile. The padawan?s door had been open a crack, however, and he couldn?t help but overhear some of what was said.

?That thing was dangerous,? Qui-Gon had murmured softly. ?We must stop it and any others like it before they kill again.?

?Yes,? Narshia agreed. ?But we have to be careful. We didn?t even know it was following us! How can we fight an enemy we can?t sense, much less see very well??

?Very, very carefully,? Qui-Gon had replied grimly.

Obi-Wan shuddered at the memory, wishing Qui-Gon hadn?t gone back to his own room across the hall. The young Jedi knew that Narshia was just about as skilled with the lightsaber as his former master, yet her presence somehow wasn?t as reassuring and strong as Qui-Gon?s.

And Obi-Wan had a very bad feeling about the future. Something elusive that was near in the future, a darkness that shrouded him. He buried his head in his pillow and tried to push the feeling aside so that he could sleep.

Two days previous

Narshia glanced up and felt a smile tug at the corners of her lips as a sleepy looking Obi-Wan stumbled in. The teenager?s shoulders gave a small slump of relief when he realized that Qui-Gon had not yet joined them for breakfast.

Narshia frowned, studying him closer. He had faint dark lines under his eyes and his face was drawn tight with exhaustion, both physical and emotional. ?How are you holding up, Obi-Wan?? she asked casually, knowing that after all that had happened it was easy for the padawan to get defensive, especially on the topic

11. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Great post!

More soon! :D

Is the next post the one I'm thinking of? The one where a certain hot Padawan... ummm.. yeah... you know... ;)

12. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Kenobisgirl! ;)

*ahem* (*whispers*) It's the post after next.

13. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    Gee Gimpy, do I really need all three? Or should I keep one handy in case you get tigger-happy with that blaster? ;)

Ooooooooo..... that post is coming huh?

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved how Qui-Gon and Narshia kept between the wraith and Obi-Wan, wanting to protect him and the way they instantly kne what to after after Qui-Gon's first slash at it!!

Great post!! :) :)

15. Jedi Susie

Mar 12, 2000
    Feel free to e-mail the posts whenever. Since I'll be posting the story can I mess with people's minds? Just kidding of course :)

I love how well you describe the wriath and what it does- it really is creepy!

The protectiveness of Obi-Wan from both Masters is truely touching.

Kenobisgirl, I can't wait for that *ehem* post either ;)

16. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    :eek:

OMGosh! Wow! That thing is creepy! Yikes!

I love how both Masters are concerned for Obi-Wan, but that Qui-Gon tries not to show it! That wraith... ::shudders::

I can't wait for the next post! :D

17. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey, sorry this is up later than normal today, everyone! M, I wasn't going to say anything but now that you mention that... ;) Thanks Leona, like always your support means a lot to me! :)

Susie, I pass over to you full reader-torturing rights!!! ;) Feel free to require begging for a post or have fun Playing with Minds!! ;) I emailed everything to you just a sec ago, so if something doesn't come through right then let me know by tomorrow morning okay? :D

Thanks, Laura! :)

Warning: Possible hanky required

One day previous

Narshia tugged lightly on the Master/Padawan bond, wanting to speak to Obi-Wan before Qui-Gon arrived for breakfast. She knew the teenager disliked discussing or even thinking about the Jedi Master?s rejection, but this had gone on long enough.

Her call was met by a mental groan and a few seconds later the sight of a half-asleep Obi-Wan stumbling hurriedly to the refresher. She smile, unable to help herself. Obi-Wan was certainly not a morning person.

By the time the padawan emerged Narshia was almost done making breakfast. He walked in looking much more awake than before, his short hair sticking straight up as it dried from his shower. ?Good morning, Master,? he said semi-cheerfully.

?Good morning, Obi-Wan,? she replied with a grin. ?I trust you slept well??

Obi-Wan rubbed a hand across his eyes. ?As well as can be expected considering there were blue creatures with red eyes chasing me around the Jedi Temple all night.?

Narshia smiled sympathetically. ?Bad ream, huh?? Obi-Wan nodded tiredly and pulled out a chair at the table. Narshia settled down on the chair next to it and paused to collect her thoughts and decide on the best approach. ?Obi-Wan, I?m worried about you. Are you doing okay working with Master Jinn??

Obi-Wan looked at her guardedly. ?What do you mean??

Narshia sighed inwardly ? apparently the thirteen year-old was going to prolong the inevitable as long as possible. She reached out and laid a comforting hand on his arm. ?Obi-Wan, I know it must have been extremely hard for you when Qui-Gon broken your Master-Padawan relationship. But you haven?t talked to anyone about it and that?s what worries me. You can?t hold things like that inside of you, Obi-Wan.?

Obi-Wan looked down at his hands, multiple emotions flickering across his face as each fought for domination. Grief won and when he sighed miserably Narshia knew he would finally speak about what had been haunting him for the past four months. ?At first,? Obi-Wan began slowly, his voice hoarse with emotion, ?I was too shocked to believe anything. Qui-Gon was just standing there and the Council was saying he didn?t want me anymore and all I could think of was that it must be some huge joke. Or-or a dream, and I would wake up and everything would be fine.?

Obi-Wan glanced up then, his sapphire eyes staring at Narshia and pleading for her to understand. ?Even later, when he turned his back on me and walked away, all I could think was that it had to be some huge mistake.?

Narshia remained silent, giving his arm a small squeeze. What the teenager needed at the moment was someone to listen and understand.

Obi-Wan?s gaze sought his hands again. ?After that I was mad. He was my master ? my hero ? and he left me! He abandoned me! Masters are supposed to love and care and teach you, not walk away!? he declared angrily, eyes blazing. ?Why?! It wasn?t fair! He never even told me why! Why should I care about Qui-Gon Jinn after what he did to me??

Narshia said nothing, merely gazing at him calmly and willing him to continue.

Obi-Wan?s eyes dropped to his clenching and unclenching fists. ?But I still love him.?

The words were spoken so softly that Narshia had to lean forward to hear them clearly.

?No matter how hard I try, I can?t hate him. I need him. I-I miss him. I try to think of what I did that made him stop loving me

18. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    :_|

"'I can?t tell you why, Obi-Wan, but it wasn?t your fault,? she whispered, resisting the urge to stomp across the hall and shove a frying pan up Qui-Gon?s distinguished nose. ?It wasn?t your fault.'"

I think that sounds like a very good idea! :mad: <sigh>

Poor Obi! That was so touching, gimpy! :_| Wonderful!

I can't wait for the next post... but... but it said... one day... one day previous... and we're counting...down... :_|

:D

19. Jedi Susie

Mar 12, 2000
    Oh, that was just as touching the second time...I remember how much that post made me respect Narshia, esp after the frying pan thought :)

So, did everyone hear that I have full reader-torture right??? Good...I just might use them ;) **Slowly backs away at the look on people's faces** Or...you know...not.

Terrific post, Gimpy, very moving.

20. Jedi Susie

Mar 12, 2000
  21. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Such a heartfelt post!! I remember being so gald that Obi-Wan had Narshia. And her reaction was so right on target!! Even though she knows that Qui-Gon is agonizing over his decision she still wanted to thump him a good one. I love that!! :D :D

Wonderful post Gimpy!!

22. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey everybody! Well, I'm off to North Carolina in an hour or so to see my brother! (yay!) Thanks tons for all the replies!

Here's the....*ahem*....that scene! Well, at least the first part of it.... [face_devil]

Have fun begging Susie for the rest! ;)

~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~ ** ~~=

Qui-Gon shot another puzzled glance towards Obi-Wan and Narshia as they walked down the busy streets. This morning the pair seemed different. Closer to each other, as though some secret had been shared that only they knew. Obi-Wan was more cheerful, as though as heavy burden had been lifted from his young shoulders, while Narshia appeared ? well, if he hadn?t known better he would have assumed she was mad at him. Qui-Gon pushed his confusion over his companion?s behavior to the side, it was time to concentrate on the here and now ? the mission, and not how much he wanted to see those sapphire eyes light up in one of the impish grins that had become so rare.

The three Jedi turned into an empty side street. Here the people walking by hurried past the desolate, eerie buildings and cast fearful glances into the shadows. They had heard the rumors.

Today they went farther into the underground tunnels than they had previously. Qui-Gon led them through the corridors, dust occasionally sprinkling down on them from above in the dim light. Obi-Wan followed him, his body tense and ready for action while Narshia kept watch from behind. All kept alert for any sign of the wraiths they were hunting.

The tall Jedi Master found himself guiding them through the halls by instinct, as though something were leading him to an unknown destination. A slight suggestion of the Force, beckoning him forward. Qui-Gon reached the end of the underground maze and found himself exiting into a large, empty warehouse on the opposite side of what they?d come to call the ?blue-zone.? There was no sign of the wraiths, but a single lone presence shone brightly in the Force.

Qui-Gon knew he had been called to it, and so ignoring the uneasy feeling settling in the back of his mind he strode towards the opposite wall, skirting around old crates and piles of rubbish. He pushed aside an old drop cloth that had once been white but was now a dusty gray and revealed a small space between the crates and the wall. Huddled there was a small boy that couldn?t be older than seven, his brown hair hanging over his large, fearful brown eyes in an unruly fringe.

Qui-Gon quickly knelt on one knee and reached out a gentle hand that the boy shied away from. ?What is the matter?? he inquired kindly. ?Are you lost??

The boy shook his head from side to side, sending the brown mop of hair flying. ?They?re here,? he whispered, a current of panic running through his voice. He looked past the Jedi Master, obviously trying to find whatever he was so afraid of.

?Who is here?? Qui-Gon had a fairly good idea of just what the boy was talking about, but still he asked.

The boy just shook his head harder, arms wrapped tightly around his small frame as he shook with fright. ?Them.?

Qui-Gon turned to follow the boy?s line of sight and saw Narshia and Obi-Wan standing in the middle of the building, conversing in low tones and keeping a wary eye on their surroundings. Around them the gigantic, echoing room was eerily silent. He had a very bad feeling about this. How many of the creatures could be in this very room and the Jedi had no idea? How many of the wraiths were waiting hungrily in the shadows, having led them here? He reached out to the Force and the back of his mind was filled with a definite buzzing, much stronger than before.

Qui-Gon reached out his hand to the child again. ?Come on. I?m going to get you out of here.? The boy hesitantly reached out to grasp his hand and Qui-Gon quickly scooped him up and stood in one smooth movement. The small child buried his face in the tall Jedi?s tunic as Qui-Gon crossed quickly towards Narshia and Obi-Wan. ?Narshia, Obi-Wan! Let?s go, I have a very bad feeling about

23. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

24. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    ::screams:: :eek:

NOOOOOO!!!! Obi-Wan!!!!!!!

Oh, Susie, you MUST post again SOON! PLEASE?!?!?!? [puppy-dog face]

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!?!?

PLEEEEEEASE?????

Can you tell I'm dying for more?

POST SOON!!!!!!!!

Where in NC are you going, gimpy? (I guess the question should be where DID you go, you probably won't get this until you return...) I live in NC... :)

25. ApprenticeM

Apr 10, 2001
    AH!!!!!!!!! I missed a post!!!!!

anyway, I think shoving a frying pan up Qui-Gon's nose is a good idea.........Susie, please post soon, or do we get to use the puppy eyes this time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.