main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Make a Memory/A Man's Heart, A Jedi's Will -Qui-Gon/Jorlica vignettes-updated 5/26

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004

Author's Note: Jorlica is an OC created in response for a challenge. To my surprise, she didn't want to fade meekly into the background and let me know she wanted more of her story to be told. Jorlica and Qui-Gon shared a bond, and this is their story. Obviously, this is an AU. :p

Okay, here is my little viggie for the "Ladies of the Night" challenge. It was an interesting idea...

You Always Remember

Jorlica peered into the mirror, frowning as she noted two more fine lines fanning out from her eyes. Her beauty was fading, but tonight she would put that worry from her mind. He always looked at her with kind eyes and would not notice anyway. She turned away from the mirror, content for the moment. She slowly brushed her hair, wondering if he would come tonight. In spite of herself she felt her pulse speed up a bit.

Golden light filtered into the room as the planet settled down to the nightly revelries. She could already hear the music beginning to pound in the nightclub next to her building. Her eyes flickered up to the chrono noting the hour. Even if he did visit her, he wouldn?t be here this early.

She passed the time by straightening up her small apartment. If he was able to visit she wanted to be ready. Orderly surroundings always made him feel more comfortable. She supposed it was because he was a Jedi.

A quick glance at the chrono confirmed the time. He could be here at any moment. She had been hopeful after getting his message but she knew that last minute business could always prevent his visit. When she heard a discreet knock at her door she permitted her joy to show briefly on her face.

He was there standing in the hall, his size dwarfing her doorway. He returned her welcoming smile and ducked slightly to enter her apartment. He reached out and gently touched her cheek.

?I?m glad you could make it, Qui,? she said softly.

?I?m glad, too. How have you been Jorlica??

He sat down in the huge chair she kept in the corner just for him. She had purchased it not long after he began visiting her so that he would have a comfortable place to sit.

?I?ve been fine. How have you been??

He nodded. ?Good, tired but good.?

She went into the kitchen and returned with a cold bottle of his favorite Alderaanian ale. It had a smooth taste that he always appreciated and she made sure to have it on hand just for him.

He patted the space next to him on the chair as he thanked her. She snuggled up next to him with a sigh of contentment.

?You always remember, Jor,? he said.

She shrugged, not wanting to dwell on why she always remembered. It didn?t matter anyway. ?It?s no big deal. You enjoy it.?

He took a deep swallow of the ale and smacked his lips approvingly. She laughed and he raised a brow at her.

?So you think I?m funny??

?You?re always funny Qui, but that?s why I like you.?

He leaned down then and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. She could taste the ale and the mint he must have eaten before he knocked on her door. After their kiss they sat in companionable silence for awhile, neither feeling a need to speak.

?Anything new going on in your life?? he finally spoke, his voice sounding relaxed.

?Same stuff, different day,? she said. ?What about you? How?s Obi-Wan?? She had never met his apprentice but she felt she knew him after hearing Qui-Gon speak of him over the years.

Qui-Gon had noticed that she preferred not to talk about herself so the change of subject was not unexpected. But he knew she really was interested in his life so let it pass rather than risk making her uncomfortable.

?He?s fine, almost ready for the trials,? he said as he finished off the ale and carefully placed the empty bottle on the table at his side.

?Really? That?s wonderful, you must be very proud!? Her enthusiasm was genuine, for Qui-Gon had shared much of Obi-Wan?s progress with her.

He leaned down and kissed her once more. ?I?ve missed you, Jorlica,? he whispered as he pulled away just a bit. He brushed her chestnut hair back from h

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, I liked it a lot. So Qui-Gon was involved with a lady of the night and she was doing it more for love than money. Was he? I wonder. He didn't seem to treat her as an object of desire, more like a friend that sold her body for money. Good job.

3. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

Nice one, would you ever think of doing a follow up viggie, you know just asking.

4. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004

?Anything new going on in your life?? he finally spoke, his voice sounding relaxed.

?Same stuff, different day,? she said. ?What about you? How?s Obi-Wan?? She had never met his apprentice but she felt she knew him after hearing Qui-Gon speak of him over the years.

Qui-Gon had noticed that she preferred not to talk about herself so the change of subject was not unexpected. But he knew she really was interested in his life so let it pass rather than risk making her uncomfortable.

?He?s fine, almost ready for the trials,? he said as he finished off the ale and carefully placed the empty bottle on the table at his side.

?Really? That?s wonderful, you must be very proud!? Her enthusiasm was genuine, for Qui-Gon had shared much of Obi-Wan?s progress with her.

He leaned down and kissed her once more. ?I?ve missed you, Jorlica,? he whispered as he pulled away just a bit. He brushed her chestnut hair back from her face.

?I?ve missed you, too,? she replied.

I loved the interaction between Qui-Gon and Jorlica. They seemed to be old friends who spent many comfortable hours together. Nice job.

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I really enjoyed this vignette Kimberley. I like how you explored their relationship as she was a lady of night but you were able to explore this mature theme very tastefully and within the guides of the boards. I truly enjoyed it. Everything flowed so well and it was so well written. Qui-Gon's obvious hesitation made me realize that he did love her but he would pay since it was what she did for a living. The relationship between them was very well done. I hope you plan to do a follow up with this piece :)

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oi! Qui's got a girlfriend!! That was sweetly and well done!! Poor girl... if only she knew. Hrmmm I ponder on how she responds when she finds out or how she finds out.

Great play! Loved the feelings that were portrayed! [face_love] hummma hummmma to be swooped off your feet by him.... =P~ hrmmm I could mention another I wouldn't mind being swooped by...but I'm afraid I'd give folks some major chills *snrk* hehehehe So I'll be nice and refrain! ;)

Great work VaderLVR64!!!! *dreamy sigh* where's a tall dark and handsome Jedi when ya need'em?

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    dianethx Well if you think Qui-Gon was well done then I can rest easy, because I consider you an expert on the man! I did want to portray them as much more than participants in a transaction. I see them as friends first...I'm glad you liked it.

sdhfs Hmmm...I might. I had already figured out how they met, how things started, etc. when I began to write this one. I could always go BACK in time. Or later when she finds out he's died on Naboo. Gosh, you just set forth plot bunnies!

LukesTheMan They seemed to be old friends who spent many comfortable hours together. Yes! That is exactly what I wanted to portray. Thanks for reading!

Layren I wanted to make sure there was no question about it being within the guidelines so I hope that it was squarely on the right side of the line. It was an interesting challenge to take a topic such as this and make it board friendly. But I've seen some amazing viggies stem from the challenge. Mine was written on a cold hard bench as I waited for my son's hockey lesson to be over, so I'm not sure how well it turned out! :D

Kynstar Thank you so much for reading! Poor Qui-Gon needed someone to comfort him after losing Tahl, now didn't he? But why didn't he call ME? :_|

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Stellar Viggie VaderLVR. Strangely enough it's this one telling little line I loved the most She could taste the ale and the mint he must have eaten before he knocked on her door. That tiny little detail really made this real.

He had that familiar look on his face, a combination of gratitude and shame.-- now that one saddened me greatly. Coupled with the next one I wondered if it wasn't partially Tahl he thought of when he was with Jorlica. Of course knowing where he's off to next makes this viggie such a tragedy.. :( :(

I really enjoyed this as you've made the man entirely human.

9. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    That was wonderfully done. Loved the unspoken detail you gave, such as Tahl's death being the factor that drew him there. And that she wouldn't be seeing him again. His shame at having to leave her credits. :( I could imagine this scene playing out across the galaxy. Them sexy Jedi. :)

10. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

i don't mean to be nosing in and who am i kiding anyway, how about for a plot bunny obi meets her, just a suggestion *waits for twack over the nugget*

11. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    There was always a moment of terrible awkwardness for them when it came to this moment. He hesitated and then placed a handful of credits on the table by her bed. She always ignored the credits, letting her mind holding on to the illusion until he was gone.

The whole thing was nicely done, but I felt especially sad for them in the above passage. Great work.

12. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Poor Qui-Gon needed someone to comfort him after losing Tahl, now didn't he? But why didn't he call ME?

Don't take it personally,Kimberley. If it makes you feel better he didn't call me either, the big gundark :p

13. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Very sweet and well written viggie VaderLVR. :) Jorlica was very real, QGJ was well portrayed. I'll stick to the character side of things here as he's a little old for my taste. :p Good work.

Nem :)

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Thanks again to all who read this. I have written a companion piece for it. Thanks to sdhfs, a plot bunny bit me. Thanks, by the way! :D

Healer_Leona For some reason, Qui-Gon has always seemed the most approachable of the Jedi to me. And I wanted him to seem very human in this. I see these two as very good friends. Thanks so much for reading.

obi_ew Thank you so much! Oh yeah, those Jedi can leave their saber on my night stand, too! LOL! O:)

sdhfs I took your suggestion to heart and that little follow up should be posted soon. Even though techinically it takes place during "The Saga" I will include it in this thread. Thanks for reading, and no whacks on the head.

AnakinsHeir Thank you so much for reading!

Layren The Big Gundark! I love it! I have a new nickname for him now. I'm stealing it! Just thought it would be polite to let you know!

JediNemesis Well,yes he's a bit old for you. But he's not too old for me so I can consider him drool worthy, LOL! Thanks for reading! [face_blush]

15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    That was very moving, VL. I could see this happening. His quiet sadness was very realistic. I'd be interested in seeing her reaction when she hears about Naboo...

Shaindl

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    This is the viggie in which Jorlica meets Obi-Wan. I'm working on one right now to describe her first meeting with Qui-Gon, but it won't be ready for awhile. For some reason, Jorlica has become very dear to my heart and I wanted to expand her a little bit and write about her more. She didn't go away after the last vignette, so I gave into the urge and wrote this one...

I?ll Never Forget

Obi-Wan saw her from the corner of his eye and turned to look at her. She was dressed in clothes that had seen better days. They were meticulously clean, but the hem of her dress was frayed and the fabric had faded as if from long use and many washings. Her hair was a rich, chestnut brown that had streaks of gray winding through it. She had been a beautiful woman once, he could tell. She was still striking, although she looked somewhat sad and tired. She approached him hesitantly.

?Master Kenobi?? she said softly.

?Yes, I?m Obi-Wan Kenobi,? he replied. He smiled, trying to put her at ease.

?I?I knew your Master, Qui-Gon Jinn,? she said. ?I just wanted to tell you how sorry?how very sorry I am about his death.?

Obi-Wan felt his smile falter and slip. Tears began to sting at his eyes and he had to clear his throat before he could speak. ?Thank you, that means a lot to me.? He tilted his head to the side. ?How did you know Qui-Gon??

To his surprise she blushed and looked away. ?I met him years ago,? she finally said. ?He was kind to me.?

Obi-Wan smiled, for he knew very well how Qui-Gon seemed to attract and care for those from the lower levels the planet. Whatever she might be, and Obi-Wan had his suspicions, it was a safe bet she was not from the upper echelons of Coruscant society.

?He was a kind man,? Obi-Wan agreed.

She glanced up at him and he thought he saw tears in her eyes but she looked down quickly once more. ?Yes, he was kind,? she whispered. ?Always kind.?

?May I buy you a cup of caf?? he asked her politely.

She looked around, as if wondering if he was speaking to her. He waited patiently for her response. ?Yes, that would be nice.?

?There?s a nice little shop down the street. Would that be agreeable to you??

She nodded and they began walking toward the shop. ?You look just as Qui-Gon described you,? she said.

His surprise must have been reflected on his face. ?He talked to you about me??

?Oh yes, he was very proud of you, you know.? She laughed and shook her head. ?It was always Obi-Wan did this; Obi-Wan said that. He enjoyed talking about you.?

?So you recognized me from his description?? He asked with disbelief clear in his voice.

She laughed once more. ?No, even Qui-Gon was not quite that good. I recognized you from your pictures on the news. They showed it after?? her voice trailed off and she gave a delicate cough, ?after the events of Naboo.?

He nodded as he recalled those first horrible days after the death of Qui-Gon. ?Yes, I remember.?

They had reached the caf shop and walked in. They found a small table that overlooked a tiny garden and sat down and placed their order. They were silent as their caf was placed in front of them. She looked at the garden for a few moments before glancing at Obi-Wan once more. ?He loved you very much.?

Obi-Wan smiled and wrapped his hands around the warmth of the cup. ?I loved him, too.?

?He was easy to love,? she said softly.

Obi-Wan looked at her more closely. ?You loved him.? It was not a question, he spoke with certainty.

She shrugged but would not meet his eyes. ?As much as someone like me can love, I guess.?

He placed one of his calloused hands over hers, a gentle pressure meant to reassure. ?I think you loved him very much.?

She patted his hand and then put her own in her lap. ?Yes, I did.? She looked at the garden once more. ?But I never told him.?

?I?m sure he knew, Qui-Gon had a sense for such things,? he said. ?He knew.?

A tremulous smile hovered on her lips. ?He always did know me very well, so perhaps you?re right.? She looked at him briefly. ?I hope so.?

17. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oooh that was so sweet!!! So sad!!! The emotions potrayed were wonderfully done. I loved Obi's hesistancy about asking about such a sensitive topic and I most certainly can picture the big gundark being disagreeable ;)

Excellent work!

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awww, that was just so sad. Not just for the sharing of their feelings for Qui-Gon, but the sense I had Jorlica's unrequited love and that she accepted being just a substitute. It really makes me want to cry for her. And strangely the line ?He did care for you, or he wouldn?t have kept coming back,? just doesn't quell the sadness I feel for her.

Wonderfully written VaderLVR!

19. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

Brill viggie, and thanks for no thwack

20. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Obi-Wan smiled and wrapped his hands around the warmth of the cup. ?I loved him, too.?

?He was easy to love,? she said softly.

Obi-Wan looked at her more closely. ?You loved him.? It was not a question, he spoke with certainty.

She shrugged but would not meet his eyes. ?As much as someone like me can love, I guess.?

He placed one of his calloused hands over hers, a gentle pressure meant to reassure. ?I think you loved him very much.?

She patted his hand and then put her own in her lap. ?Yes, I did.? She looked at the garden once more. ?But I never told him.?

?I?m sure he knew, Qui-Gon had a sense for such things,? he said. ?He knew.?

A tremulous smile hovered on her lips. ?He always did know me very well, so perhaps you?re right.? She looked at him briefly. ?I hope so.?

:_| That was so sad! Well written by sad! Great work.

21. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Qui-Gon had a girlfriend, Qui-Gon had a girlfriend. Nice work. I liked Jorlica; she seemed like she was good for Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan was cute, too. He blushed! [face_blush]

22. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I like how Obi-Wan understood what she was, but was still able to respect her for the person she was and for what she gave his Master. Great character, VL.

Shaindl

23. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    That was great!! Qui has another that will remember him! Loved the 'grumpy' Master bit! ;) hehehe nice touch!

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I had to write one more vignette about Qui-Gon and Jorlica. She's captured my heart and spoke to me. This is the story of how Qui-Gon and Jorlica met, and the first of many happy memories was made...

To Make a Memory

Qui-Gon looked around the dimly lit and very smoky nightclub. The music blaring from the speakers induced a wince in the tall Jedi. His taste in music did not run toward that which might cause the listener?s ears to bleed. The smoke stung his eyes and made him cough. It was a thoroughly delightful establishment.

He wasn?t even sure why he was here. He had left his quarters tonight in a restless mood. The colorless walls seemed to be closing in on him and none of his usual entertainments held any appeal. Impulsively, he had left the Temple and headed toward the seedier levels of Coruscant.

He had passed by countless establishments, not feeling an urge to enter any of them. He just roamed the dangerous streets, looking for he knew not what. Because he had not worn his Jedi robes he didn?t draw as much unwanted attention. But still, a human of his stature did attract a few looks. Most of the glances were from women, who admired his feline grace and broad shoulders.

Finally, this particularly undistinguished club had seemed the place he was looking for, although he had no idea why. He looked about him, noting that the occupants were the type he would have expected to find in such a place. He immediately spotted two pickpockets and made sure to steer clear of them. He could practically feel their itchy fingers from across the room.

He made his way to the bar and ordered the strongest whiskey they had available. It caused a smooth burn on its way down his throat, a sensation he thoroughly enjoyed. It was of surprisingly good quality, considering the place itself.

He glanced around once more, wondering what it was that had drawn him here, to this specific place tonight. He finally looked into the far corner and saw her standing there. Her eyes met his and she smiled gently before looking away.

Her clothes declared her occupation. The bright blue fabric was clearly visible even through the smoke. Her make-up was a little too garish, even though it was skillfully applied. Her chestnut curls were pulled back from her face and cascaded down to her shoulders.

But it was the smile that had drawn his attention. It was sweet and shy and completely out of place for what he knew she did to earn her money. He saw her eyes dart over toward him once again, though she looked away quickly once she saw him staring at her.

He turned away and ordered another whiskey, in no hurry to make a mistake. He savored the second one, enjoying the burn just as much the second time as he had the first. He shifted his body to see if she was still there. Yes, she was still there.

There was something about her that reminded him of the one he still missed. She didn?t look like her, and their occupations could hardly be more different. But there was something intangible that called out to him.

Perhaps it was the tilt of her head, or the finely drawn line of her brows. It might have even been the kind heart he sensed within her. Whatever it was, she intrigued him, made him remember feelings he did not wish to remember, but which he could not live without, not tonight.

He made his decision and slowly made his way toward her. She held his gaze as he approached her, but she did not smile coyly or pretend that he wasn?t coming toward her. Her eyes remained locked on his the entire time.

When he stood just a step away from her he held out his hand. ?I?m Qui-Gon,? he said.

?The name?s Jorlica,? she replied. She gestured to their surroundings. ?I haven?t seen you here before. I would have remembered you.?

He smiled at her and shook his head. ?No, I?ve not been here before.?

?That?s good, it?s a dump. If you made this a regular habit I would have to doubt your good taste,? she said dryly.

Qui-Gon laughed out loud then, the booming sound drawing several glances. ?And

25. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    odd... interesting...

he never made it back!!!!!! [face_cries]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.