To play or not to play. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Bravo Force Ghost

star 6
    Should I play football or shouldn't I? Well, today was my first day of practice, and well, it SUCKED! :mad: [face_plain] The first part went great, but then the second part, well, here we go:

I am not very big for a Defensive End/Nose Tackle/Defensive Tackle. But, I have the heart for football. Well, after three years of giving it my all, and not playing very much at all, I am tired of it! I am a senior, and I think I have deserved some playing time. I have worked as hard as I could, but, you can always work harder. Anyways, today in practice, I was a Tight End. Well, the whole offensive line were seniors, but our center, a junior. Anyways, I get taken off the line and replaced by a junior! Well, I am pretty CENSORED pissed off! [face_plain] :mad: I have busted my balls for three years, and when I want to help out, or give it a shot, I get replaced. And I know why too, I am not as good as the guy I was replaced with. This other guy is taller, faster, and bigger then I. But, coaches have to get one thing down here, the military veterans know this: Skills means diddly squat! Its the willings and the heart of the person that makes him/her the person they are. (Quoted by Jason Albano) That is what my coaches lack, in fact, all coaches do!

I have a plan. My plan is that if I don't get the playing time I deserve by game three, I quit. All I want is one quarter a game, one quarter! I don't think its that much to ask for. Any ways, from fellow SW fan to SW fan, from fellow RMFF member to RMFF member, from friend to friend, should I play?
  2. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    Play. See what happens. Alot of stuff could happen that would change your situation. Or you could just get the benefits of participating, regardless of rank, status, or playtime. Those benefits could fill books. If you leave - dont leave yet.
  3. cyodarun Retired RMFF CR

star 4
    Bravo,
    I don't know you from Adam, but keep this in mind, football is a team sport, so go out there and give it your all, every day.....the important part is that you do your best, and you go out knowing that you did. If you quit, you will never get to turn back time and prove you are a winner......stick with it, worst case, you end up with a varsity letter and the satisfaction that you did not let anyone get the best of you. Good Luck and be a leader!
  4. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Yea, being sidelined is tough.....but like the man said, it is a team-sport....stay at it, and don't get off yur coaches' back....ask him for special teams, anything that'll get yu in the game....then just knock heads...he'll come around.....and if he doesn't, walk away at the end knowing yu were a team player, and yu did yur level best!
  5. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Stick through it.

I played softball for my last two years of high school. The girls had no ethics and they would critize the coach infront of other teams. I was also one of two seniors on the team. The other senior was captain, me I was captain of the bench. I maybe played a total of seven innings the entire year. But I stuck it out. I cheered, stacked helmets, helped the others warm up, handed them their gloves and bats, and generally helped in the dugout. And when I was allowed to play I usually hit doubles or even triples :D I'm still proud about that.

There are a couple reasons you should put up with this. Never quit anything you've started. It looks good on college applications. And you never know, a bunch on players could turn up as ineligible ;)
  6. Bravo Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, you guys are right. Knowing me, if I wanted to, I could get half the team arrested for doing under age drinking, weed, and sex with minors. Yes, I could do that, but, I won't. If they want to throw their lifes away, thats their thing. But, if it affects me or my team, then I'll make it happen. Hell, I am around a cop most of the time. I am good friends with my school's police officer.

Today, I am proud of myself. I have weight lifting at 6:00 every morning. Anyways, after that we have conditioning/speed camp. Well, we had to do a 20 minute run after all the sprinting we had to do, and with my CP and scared lungs, its kindda hard. But, I don't let my disablities get the best of me. Although I was last, after the run, I completed 4 3/4 laps. Thats a mile and something. Now, the 20 minute mark ended with my 4th lap. But, I walked the last 1/4 of my 4th lap. And, after thinking about becoming a firefighter, I sucked it up, and jogged an extra lap, to make up for the 1/4 of the last lap I walked.
  7. TK1305 Jedi Knight

star 2
    bravo you have what alot of people need to have desire you push your self to do whats right even though you dont have too and thats what makes you the best guy on that feild.
  8. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    If you're ever in doubt, go watch the movie "Rudy." That'll get you motivated. especially when you know that it's a true story.
  9. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    So you want to try and tattle on the other players because you don't get to play? Dude, grow up. Their personal life has nothing to do with life on the field. Do your best and prove that you belong out there with the rest of them. Don't cop out and quit because they put someone else in. Just because you're not on the starting team? Tough it out now or you'll never get to play. Prove yourself. Determination sets the pace for your performance. Always do 110% in practice and have fun doing it. My freshman year I was like the 3rd string on the damn freshman team. Sophomore year They threw me in for ONE play while a guy had to come out to bandage his hand real quick. I played 110% and did my best because I had a lot to prove. I ended up being a Varsity starter my sophomore year on. You can do it, man. Just stick with it. And the whole thing about everyone else drinking, sex and all that...that's not even your business and has nothing to do with football. Focus on the game and do your best. If you are going to quit...quit now so you don't waste everyone's time. Sorry if it sounds harsh but it's the truth.
  10. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Joe, he said he could tattle on them, but he won't. Just to clarify that :)
  11. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    the point for even bringing it up was bad enough. No one cares who's doing what off the field.
  12. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Actully that's not true. If any of the players are caught doing something illegal, even smoking they can be tossed off the team. Most schools do this now.

So it does matter what they are doing in their free time.
  13. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    well then it proves my point. If he wants to get people kicked off the team so he can play...that's pretty damn sad. I partied and did a bunch of wild stuff while I was playing football...it's almost part of the whole "jock" life. I say who cares what they do, it doesn't affect the game. You think people who are starters are going to come to a game wasted or blazed up? Hell no. They have fun on the weekends. The only way they'd get caught is if someone "Tattled" on them. Which makes my point valid
  14. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    He was just using it as an example. Saying that he could use that to play. But he's not. He's just going to stick it out and see what happens.
  15. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool new icon Bravo! Its kinda creepy. Good luck with the football team. Dont worry about things you cant control. I think the only person you should worry about is you.
  16. TK1305 Jedi Knight

star 2
    you know I got a lot to say about this subject, but yet I wont say a word as I will surly start a fight.
    all I can say is TO EACH THEIR OWN.
  17. Jedi_Nova Jedi Master

star 2
    I would stick with it, and try my hardest to get into a game.

I played football in middle school and always gave 110% in games and practice. It paid off, my freshamn year I was a varisty starter. But it turned out to be a bad thing, it was too much too soon. I was playing against guys a lot stronger, tougher and smarter than I was. I ended up breaking my ankle in the 4th game (Homecoming game). It was a very nasty break and ended my sports career.

Stick with it and do your best but realize your limitations. You have to balance it all out..
    And I hate to say it but I agree with Joe. You will find espically in high school that people are very different in different situations. Dont hold what they do off the field aginst them on the field...
  18. Bravo Force Ghost

star 6
    Joe has a good point. But, if any of the people I know who do anything illegal and its affecting our team's season, I would rather have him/her kicked off, then have them take our team down with them.

Today's practice was pretty good. Although I got thrown around like a rag doll, I had fun. I am starting to get back into the thing of being a football player again. And to claer things up, I am not a jock, far from it. One of my best frineds, always said that he and I weren't jocks, and he was right.

19. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Just concentrate on what yu know is right, and yu'll do great. Give 110 percent, and they'll start to notice.....if they can see at all, that is......FLOL!
  20. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah yes, the eternal question of youth...to Rat, or not to Rat. Well, I suppose it is a matter of conscience and motives. If your motives are pure and selfless, than exposing illicit behavior should definitely be a consideration. However, if you are 'ratting' people out simply for the sake of vengeance and jealousy, then the ends do not necessarily justify the means. Also, there are ways in which to accomplish 'justice' which will preserve your anonymity. It all boils down to your own motives. As far as sticking things out due to commitments, I say, "To thine own self be true". (Well, I didn't say it first, but I will plagiarize it here). You gotta do what is best for you. If busting your gutt everyday in practice just to warm the bench come game time satisfies you then hey, you go for it brother. But if giving your blood, sweat and tears for a spot next to the water cooler doesn't truly float your boat, then you are only doing yourself and your team a disservice. I busted my butt in High School sports and eventually it paid off for me. I was blessed with a lot of natural ability, and although my 6'2", 142 pound frame did nothing to betray these talents, I was still very successful. My grades screamed 'nerd' while my stats cried 'super-jock', but nevertheless I was pegged as a geek by all of the cliques. I received a huge amount of personal satisfaction and gratification from playing sports, however in retrospect I am not certain how much they contributed to any happiness later in life. You gotta do what you gotta do. If you enjoy sports and can remain true to your own beliefs and ideals, then all the more power to you. If sports don't really and truly 'feed' you and nourish your spirit, then 'settling' for a spot on the bench might not be the best place for you. Don't sweat what other people think or how they may judge your decisions. Don't fear being labeled a "quitter". They are not in your shoes, and are in no place to judge your choices. Be true to yourself. Whatever activity you may be involved in, if it absorbs your time and energy with little to no return, then perhaps it is time to reevaluate your participation. There are always ways to spend your time which may prove more fulfilling and enlightening. The team is important, but not at the expense of the individual. Good luck. May the Force be with You.
  21. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    SS-Maybe you should change your name to Sith Socrates? Well said.
  22. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    yeah, what ZOO said. & not even 1 edit!
  23. TK1305 Jedi Knight

star 2
  24. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    yes, just have fun. Who cares what everyone else is doing. If them having sex (lol) or drinking is going to affect the team, it must be extreme because pretty much our whole team would go out and get smashed after games and during the weekend, but it never affected the "team" If it affects the team, well obviously they're going to get caught and guess what? Someone else on the team will fill in for those certain people. So quit being the kid who tells on everyone who sneaks a peek at someone else's test paper. Worry about yourself and have fun out there with the rest of the guys for christ sake! lol Been there and done that so believe me, bust your butt and you will play. Come home and act like your first post and you'll never set foot on the field. Go forth and earn your position!!! ;)
  25. Sith_Slayer Force Ghost

star 6
    Not to try and sound like the voice of authority here, but just because some of my teammates, and perhaps a majority of yours partied like rock stars, doesn't justify their behavior. Improper attitudes and ethics don't just translate onto the playing field, but they carry over into everyday life. In fact, their behavior is probably more evident in their commonplace demeanor, as opposed to how they suck it up on the field. In the Reaganomical 1980's, the most extreme that any of the players would be, is to go out and get plastered on cheap beer and wine coolers, with perhaps the occasional drag of some mary jane. Nowadays, kids will score crack, heroine, aerosol, roofies and a whole other sordid bag of goodies to get their jollies off. I attended 9 funerals during high school, and at least 5 of them involved alcohol, and could have easily been avoided. The jocks are probably the most visible of the cliques in any school setting, and as such serve a definite status of role models. Whether or not they deserve this role may be up for debate, but nonetheless it exists. So what if their extracurricular activities don't noticeably affect their performance on the field, but what kind of example are they setting off the field? A recent issue of Sports Illustrated featured an article regarding the rampant steroid abuse in Major League Baseball. Many notable Doctors opined that steroids are bad news, and should be avoided. Barry Bonds, in his infinite wisdom remarked, "The Doctors should just mind their business and let us play ball" (paraphrased). Barry implies that it is the athlete's choice, and as such, involves no one else's opinion. What the misguided Mr. Bonds fails to take into account however, is their status as very visible, public role models. What message does he send to the millions of wannabe's playing backyard catch or sandlot ball with the hopes of one day getting their shot in the majors? Kids, its ok to do these drugs, because it doesn't hurt anybody, you can make a lot of money, become famous and have your name sewn inside a million pairs of designer underwear. Athletes make far too much money as it is, and in general our society as a whole lionizes these juiced-up freaks to an extent which puts the court of Judas Maccabeus to shame. Drugs are bad, m'kay.

(climbs off soapbox)

Oh yeah, and for us featherweights that get stranded in guard territory, or defensive tackle hell, that ain't gonna fly. You gotta have some respectable meat on your bones to back up those lines. There's absolutely no shame or harm in admitting to oneself that one does not belong. Sure, you can adopt the meatheaded, macho stance and tough it out for the whole season. But what will you truly have accomplished? Will you have been satisfied with the experience? What else could you have done with all of that wasted time and effort? Life is short. Too short. Carpe Diem! The only thing you're going to carp on the bench, is some zzzzzzzzzz's. Sittin' on the bench ain't fun, period.

(end lecture)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, which is already in progress.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.