main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga To Satisfy the Dragon - ROTS vignette, fall of the Temple, Vader SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: To Satisfy the Dragon
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Lord Vader
    Summary: Darth Vader takes his first steps along the Dark Path.
    Notes: Yet another ROTS viggie. I promise this is the last one. Okay, maybe. I really am working on other stuff, LOL! This plot bunny struck hard this morning when my daughter and I were discussing the movie (again). I wrote it rather in a hurry, so I hope it makes sense. Let me just say in my defense that while under the influence of allergy medicine it made perfect sense...

Big time ROTS spoilers, so consider yourself warned!

To Satisfy the Dragon

?Master Skywalker, there are too many of them,? the little boy said, his blue eyes wide with fear. ?What do we do??

I stared at the youngling, almost frightened by what I did not feel. Perhaps this numbness was the gift, or the curse, of the Dark Side. There was such trust in his eyes, a trust that was reflected in all the young eyes staring at me. They trusted me to save them, to make everything all right.

How wrong they were to trust me.

When I lifted my blade and struck down the first one, the others simply stared at me, unable to comprehend what they had just seen. Everything they believed about the galaxy had just been turned upside down, inside out.

It was a feeling with which I was well accustomed.

I stared at my first victim for a moment, and I realized that I felt nothing as I looked at the tiny body. Surely then, I was condemned with this single act. I did not need to hear the voice of my former Master in my head to know this. I thrust away his words, for it was far too late to turn back now. I had chosen. Or had I been chosen? It does not matter for the choice had been made.

My path had been set the moment I killed Master Windu.

Or perhaps it was much more long ago than that. Had I sealed my fate in the Tusken camp? Or had it been on Zenoma Sekot? I laughed, and it was a bitter sound that rasped in my throat like a vibro-blade. Maybe I had been damned from the moment of my birth.

I felt the Force whisper and the strength of it grew louder and louder until it became a scream of despair in my head. As each youngling fell, the wails grew. The rift in the Force was so all encompassing I would not have been surprised to see it take physical form, a great gaping hole that threatened to suck me into it and cast me into oblivion.

Perhaps that would have been best.

But I was a servant of the Force no longer; I cast aside its protests as easily as I would brush away an insect. Instead, I reveled in my mastery of that mystical power. I indulged in it, dipped my hands into it and let it trickle down my arms and into my soul.

And then I dove.

Plummeted down, thrust myself into its dark depths and let the coldness of it revive me, strengthen me. In the pitch black of it I could see clearly for the first time in my life. I saw that all I had struggled to keep tamped down within me, mistaking for my weakness, was actually my strength.

I was dark.

The Jedi had tried to put their harness on me, attempted to keep me fastened to their sad ideals. But I was meant for more, for better than what they might offer me. I was claiming what had been mine all along. It was just waiting for me to take notice of it, waiting silently in the shadows, beckoning me with ever increasing ferocity.

I had answered the call at last.

When the young ones were dispatched, I surveyed the damage with a critical eye. They had been children yes, but children grew up and become dangerous enemies. My Master was right when he declared that all Jedi were now the enemies of the Empire.

My Empire- my enemies.

The blood spilled here today would satisfy the beast, that dragon that raged in my heart, and my wife and child would be spared.

I should mourn the loss of the lives here today, I knew that Anakin Skywalker would have fallen to his knees and crumpled beneath the weight of his grief. But I could not afford his weakness, not if Padme and our child were to live.

So to save

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    :eek: I am truly at a loss for words, K. Amazing, breathtaking, astounding - doesn't even begin to describe this piece. :)

=D= =D= =D=

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great job! Loved how he was thinking that this sacrifice of the lives of the children would save Padme and the unborn child. :_| Poor thing... those poor children too. They looked up to him thinking that he was going to save them. Cuz you all know that the Younglings thought of Anakin as a hero...how could they not? And to be killed by the very man they idolized...hope to become...? Sad... tragically sad...

Awesome work!!

4. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Every now and then you read something that just sort of punches you in the gut and makes you say :eek:

This is one of those pieces.

The blood spilled here today would satisfy the beast, that dragon that raged in my heart, and my wife and child would be spared.

I should mourn the loss of the lives here today, I knew that Anakin Skywalker would have fallen to his knees and crumpled beneath the weight of his grief. But I could not afford his weakness, not if Padme and our child were to live.

So to save them, to save the ones that Anakin loved more than any other in the galaxy, I would be strong enough to make the sacrifice. I offered up their blood, these many lives, and asked for only two in return. I intended to claim them and nothing, not even the will of the Force would stand in my way.

I turned away from the little bodies littering the chamber.

I was done here, my work had been completed and there was still much more to be done.

Here is my offering. I told the dark dragon. Now give me those two lives which mean the most to me.

The idea that Anakin was given the two lives most precious to him was amazing. =D=

5. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Oh, I very much liked this. Vader's sacrifice to the dragon only makes his fall more tragic. Excellent work!

6. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Brilliant!

7. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Wow! Very dark and very much as I picture him thinking at that point. =D=

8. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    That was the part of the movie that made me lose it! :_|

=D=

9. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :_| Too moved for words.

10. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

What a wonderful (if very depressing) insight into Anakin/Vader's mind at that fateful moment!

Great viggie!

11. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    That was...amazing [face_clap].

12. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Awesome work and I loved the way you tied the ROTS and ROTJ scenes together in the end. =D=

13. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Lovely. Although rather disturbing throughout, I appreciated the slight glimer of hope/salvation at the end. Two lives indeed. Nice work. :)

_PSK_

14. Jedi_Anais

Jedi_Anais Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    =D= Beautiful. Upon second viewing of the movie, the killing of the younglings made me tear up... :(

15. Jedi_Linewalker

Jedi_Linewalker Jedi Master star 2

May 1, 2005
    Wonderfully written and moving, my friend.

16. Lieutenant_Jaina

Lieutenant_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2003
    That was beautful. Very powerful too (wow, I find myself saying that word too often around this boards)

I loved it! remarakable job.

17. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    So to save them, to save the ones that Anakin loved more than any other in the galaxy, I would be strong enough to make the sacrifice. I offered up their blood, these many lives, and asked for only two in return. I intended to claim them and nothing, not even the will of the Force would stand in my way.

Suddenly the reason that song on the soundtrack called "The Immolation Scene" makes perfect sense.
    Great job with this, it really conveys that dark, grief-filled moment the way it should be.

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina Coming from such a talented writer, that is quite a compliment! Now go write more on our story! :D

Kynstar Aw, thank you! [face_blush]

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Wow, thanks!

Aelan_Greenleaf I've just discovered your work and you're incredibly talented. Thank you so much for reading my work! :)

LadyZ Thank you!

AnakinsHeir I thought so, too!

LukesTheMan Me, too!

obi_ew I'm flattered, you know how much I like your work so I'm always thrilled when you like something I've written.

Jek_Windu Thank you so very much!

Jedi_BMK Thanks! It seemed to fit together easily so I went with it.

PadmeSolo It was disturbing, and I didn't see how to make it otherwise considering his actions. Thank you so much for reading.

Jedi_Anais When the little boy ran up to him I just about :_|

Jedi_Linewalker You're quite talented yourself! Glad to know you enjoyed it.

Lieutenant_Jaina Thank you so much!

Kylie_Jinn I'm so glad you liked this and thank you for reading!

19. Darth_Skywalker2

Darth_Skywalker2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2004
    again another amazing piece of work from you! You are one of the most talented writers on this board. You have such a way with words...it is amazing. Do you have any tips/suggestions for a young writer like myself (I am only 17)

20. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    :_| Great job! I had tears in my eyes when I saw that scene in the movie! The kids looked up to him. :_| Very well written.

21. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Great job! :_| All he wanted to do was save those he loved. I really liked this:

Here is my offering. I told the dark dragon. Now give me those two lives which mean the most to me.

The dragon was slain at last by the son he had never known, and he could hear the crystal clear voice of the Light once more.

I like the use of personification!

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Darth_Skywalker2 Thank you! And my advice? Well, first of all read, read, read. And second get a good, tough beta and follow their advice. I have one that absolutely tears my work to shreds at times and I think I learn more from one of her critiques than I learned in any college course. :D And I love her for it, too!

FelsGoddess Wasn't that little boy adorable? He reminded me of my youngest son, which didn't help at all! :_|

Jedi_Tigris Wish I could take the credit for the wonderful idea of the dragon, but that belongs to the extremely talented Matthew Stover. I used his wonderful idea in my humble little work. Thank you, Mr. Stover! [:D]

23. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Wow, that was beatiful and powerful. You really capture Anakin's desperation leading to darkness. And the dragon may have been Stover's idea but you use that imagery very well. The two lives meaning Luke and Leia was touching too. :)

24. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Wonderful...I love the way that he asked for the two lives that meant the most to him and then he actually got them, eventually. And I love the way he 'dived' into the darkness and heck, I love the entire thing. Wonderful job.

25. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Wow. :_|

What a choice he has made...

Great line. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.