main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To settle it once and for all...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ponda_Baba, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ponda_Baba

Ponda_Baba Jedi Master

Aug 31, 2001
    As you are probably all aware of, I am not a frequent poster here at theforce.net. However, I have been a long time member. I have been attending this site quite frequently for the past few years. I usually don?t post, but something has been bothering me for quite some time now, and I found it necessary to speak up about it.

I am talking about the debate that has raged for a long time, not only at theforce.net, but on other sites and in society in general. STAR WARS: OT or PT? It?s a simple argument: Which is better, the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy?

Now I want to make something clear right up front. This is NOT a thread intended to upset, piss-off, offend, or make anyone angry. I want this to be a rational, logical, considerate debate. I am not using this to attack anyone in anyway. And likewise, I ask for everyone posting on here to follow the same guidelines.

Now that we have that out of the way, I want to give you my stance on the argument. I grew up with the original trilogy. It was the greatest thing ever when I was a child, and in many ways it still is. It sparked my creativity and love for film. It started it all for me. I watched it countless times and I know them like the back of my hand. I feel it is the greatest cinematic triumph of all time. Now you would say I am partial to it because I enjoyed it as a child. This is a terribly wrong assertion. There were countless movies I enjoyed as a kid that I have recently watched and thought: ?why in the hell did I like this?? Star wars is one of the few movies that holds up to the critical eye. That explains why everyone of all ages like it, and not just kids. I hadn?t seen the original trilogy in about 2 years, and I caught A New Hope on the T.V. a few nights ago. I watched it and I couldn?t believe what a truly remarkable film it was. Even when looking at it objectively, as I was a few nights ago, it still held. It is a masterpiece along with episodes V and VI (well, most of VI anyway?).

So it?s pretty obvious which trilogy I prefer. I could go on forever about what makes the old trilogy better, but in this initial post I simply want to give you the basics. I want to provide you with a logical explanation for it. I am not one to simply go ?It?s better because I say so?? That is an empty claim. And this is what the whole debate is about. It is not merely an opinion. A lot of people around here seem to think that everyone has an opinion and that all opinions are equal. This couldn?t be further from the truth. Truth is, that indeed everyone does have an opinion, but they are NOT equal. If you state something like my favorite color is blue. That is an opinion. It is subjective. There is no fact however, that blue IS the best color. There is no way at all to back up your claim. Your favorite color is just that?.an opinion. However, other, more complicated things like art, books, movies are not merely opinions. Anyone can say ?I think little Johnny?s water coloring is better than the Mona Lisa.? That is an opinion, but it is NOT a VALID one. There is no basis for your claim, other than: Johnny is your son, so you are partial to him. You have a bias because Johnny is your son.

Now, what this example is supposed to show is that yes, we all have opinions, but that doesn?t make them valid. You can say that britney spears is more talented musically than Mozart. That doesn?t make it true. You MUST have evidence to support your claim. It?s simple logic. So what does this have to do with Star Wars?

Anyone can say ?the prequels are better than the originals?. That does not necessarily make it valid. To win an argument you must support it with reasons and facts. Now, you might say ?Impossible! There is nothing factual or objective about film!? Oh, but there is.

Film-making is an art. All art has an objective quality to it when determining its quality. Random splatters of paint on a piece of paper does not make it good art. Likewise, a six year old moving dad?s camcorder around

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Because this thread has little to do with AOTC specifically, and more with all five films, I invite you to repost it in the "Star Wars Saga" forum. (click here) There you will find a receptive audience and an atmosphere more conducive to discussion of this sort. :)

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.