main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion To Sith or not to Sith? -NSA Edition

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 10, 2013.

?

Should the Sith return in Episode VII

1. YES! Once more the Sith will rule the Galaxy!

33 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. NO! He is the chosen one. He will bring balance.

28 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Hands down Anakin is The Chosen One and will always be The Chosen One, at least to me (and George Lucas but I don't think he has too much of a say in the future of Star Wars.)

As most of you guys know once we were introduced to this young and innocent boy named Anakin, he was The Chosen One. The boy then grew up into a whiny but good hearted Jedi Padawan, as a Jedi Knight he was a skilled and admired warrior, and eventually he would turn into the very thing he sought to destroy, a Sith. Even then though, he still would fulfill his destiny when he would toss his vile Sith master down a shaft in order to save the last thing he had to hold onto, his son. The Prophesy was fulfilled, he destroyed the Sith and they are no more.

Could the Prophecy have been misread? Is it possible the Sith could return? Perhaps the prophecy was about destroying one group of Sith, or possibly even bringing the Sith back to the galaxy. Or maybe the Sith are really gone and the Prophecy was right? Could there be a new threat in the galaxy, fallen Jedi, a new group of force users trained in the Sith arts who aren’t Sith, non-force users? Or will the Sith return?

I’m hoping that the Sith don’t return, they had their time to shine and I think it’s time for something new. I’m thinking for some sort of rouge group of force users who are trained in both the ways of the Jedi and Sith, but aren’t either of them.

So what is your guy’s opinion? Do you think the Sith will return and what is your opinion on that, or do you want a new threat? Let the Non-Spoiler Speculation Begin!

kainee likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't think SW is really SW without lightsabers and lightsaber-wielding bad guys. Probably NOT Sith but a different order of Dark Jedi . . .

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think having Sith would be interesting, but not as the main villain, and especially not in control of the galaxy once again.

Revious Nugo, kainee and Garth Maul like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the ST retconned the entire "Chosen One" prophecy, I'd be happy. That was my least favorite aspect of the prequels, the gross reduction of the impact of Anakin's choice to return to the Light Side and overthrow Palpatine by indicating that "Well, he was supposed to do that."

I don't have a stake in seeing Sith for the sake of seeing Sith, but that said...if the Sith do what Plagueis did, and look at the past defeat by the Jedi and strategize a new way to take them by surprise, that could be interesting. Bane's Sith fought the Jedi pretty openly, and Plagueis' strategy was for the Sith to operate undercover and infiltrate the government. Now that the Jedi might expect that due to Palpatine, what would the strategy of the next Sith Lords be?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Plagueis is the only Sith who should return.

DarthKreVass and HegoDamask like this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    In the context of the movies, it would actually be a new approach for the Sith to fight openly. Armies of Force wielders bashing each other would be an interesting thing to see on the big screen, but on the other hand I'm quite fine with any other approach, except for rehashing the PT style of hidden Sith.
    Then again, this very question opens up a rather wide ranging discussion - what exactly is the Prophecy, what exactly makes one become a Sith, what is simply a Dark Jedi, what about other dark side philosophies and so on.

Trebor Sabreon and Immortiss like this.
  7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    An open conflict might be interesting, instead of sneaking around and waiting.

kainee and The Hellhammer like this.
  8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes to more Sith. As one of our colleagues here have said, the Force is now in balance, but keeping it that way could be another matter.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This exactly. Occam's Razor, FTW! No mental gymnastics necessary on the prophecy being misread or undone. Balance is not permanent.

Living beings generate the Force. So long as living beings feel fear, anger, or hate, the Force will have a dark side. Whenever there are Force-users (Jedi, in particular) who experience those feelings, the door is open for someone to be consumed by the dark side, i.e., become a Sith.

10. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Could it not also be that the prophecy could also be recurrent.

• Force is out of balance
    • Chosen one balances it.
    • Force is taken out of balance again
    • Another chosen one of a different generation balances it.

11. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I actually didn't think of that before. That's actually an interesting Idea and I'm kinda starting to like it! Could be interesting!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    How about a small group of five or six ten-foot tall Sith, to give it that threatening look — much like what Sauron and the Engineers looked like in the LOTR and Prometheus movies?

13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    *WARNING: THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS FOR A STORY ARC IN SEASON 3 OF STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS*

The way I view "fate", "destiny" or "prophecy" in fiction is that it's just illuminating one path that you can take. You can certainly choose not to take it, but in the hero's case, this generally results in great personal pain.

For instance, I believe Anakin could've fulfilled the prophecy in ROTS had he killed Sidious, but by choosing not to, he became encased in a life support suit, doomed the Republic and the Jedi Order, and lost Padme.

So, I certainly don't see ROTJ as diminished, because I believe that Vader could've let Luke die if he so chose.

In terms of the Sith, I think that Anakin was the only one that could defeat Sidious. If Anakin chose not to in ROTJ, Sidious would have forever been in power, the galaxy doomed. So other Sith don't count.

I mean, what does "bring balance to the Force" even mean? Does it mean eliminate all dark-side users, leaving only light-side users? The Mortis trilogy in TCW television series has Anakin kill all three Force-users, Light, Dark, and "following the will of the Force", with the Father stating that brought balance.

darth ladnar likes this.
  14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    We've had a ton of Sith culture and history in the EU and I think it's been explored enough.

I'm on the side of people who would prefer to see Luke and the Jedi Order struggle with their role in the GFFA: how political should they be? How involved in society? I.e. the burden of being a hero - when do you decide to get involved. If you don't have the Sith to focus your struggle and your existence, it leads to either corruption or complacency.

I honestly haven't really read any NJO stuff so you maybe this has already been brought up, but it would be interesting to see Luke and his students/colleagues arguing over how to be a Jedi.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love this trilogy to deal with questions about what role the Jedi should serve going forward. Do the Jedi have a place in this new era of the GFFA and is the GFFA safe with the Jedi as their protectors. Can Force users be trusted or should they be watched. Can the Skywalkers be trusted even with the legacy of who their father was. I don't think you can go through decades of tyrannical rule by a Force user and then just go on honkey dory like it was before. You can never go back to that Golden Age we see glimpses of in TPM because too much has happened. At least that's what I'd like to see.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is quite a bit of that in the NJO: the New Republic government arguing over what role, if any, the Jedi should have in society; Luke's students (including Leia's kids) arguing over how to be a Jedi; and the entire Order trying to avoid public blame for the Vong war. I'd love to see some of this play out on screen, even if the characters and setting are slightly different.

17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Poor Maul...

[face_mischief]

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Maul should only return if he wears his glasses and wig, Garth style

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That was so stupid. Still can't wrap my head around it. According to the Darth Plagueis novel he was just a pawn. He should not have been able to survive. Plagueis is the only Sith character I want back for the ST but wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine came back in the flesh. I imagine Palpatine will be in it somehow, vision, Dagobah cave, voice, spirit etc.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That can be arranged, you know....[face_mischief]

According to The Clone Wars TV show, Maul didn't think that way... he believed in a greater destiny.... one that was stolen from him.

Ironic that Plagueis the Wise couldn't survive death, but the one he saw as a pawn, did.
    ;)

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    *fixed for clarity ;)

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And that's why I will never like that novel.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's been a while since I read that novel so my memories of it aren't the best.

24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    That's part of the fun of the RoT: no one worthy of the title Dark Lord of the Sith would ever deign to do something so limiting as submit to anyone's rules, even their own.

A worthy Sith will either attempt to hide the existence of the third Sith (Tenebrous hid Venamis from Plagueis, Sidious hid Plagueis from Maul, Vader tried to hide Starkiller from Sidious), deny or obscure that the third Sith is a "real" Sith (Sidious downplayed Maul's importance when dealing with Plagueis, Vader presented presented Lumiya to Sidious as an "Emperor's Hand"), or just flat-out claim that they're dispensing with the RoT (Sidious did this to Tyranus to allay his concerns about the plan to corrupt Anakin).

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The novel gets better when you consider my "fix." ;)