main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Skin a Gundark (Trett) --COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niff-tik-Ocsif

Niff-tik-Ocsif Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2003
  2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was really gross. Good thing I wasn't eating - oh my. I knew it was coming but the reality was icky! Good job on the descriptions. I could just picture it. I figured they were hanging upside down to drain the blood. Well, at least it was ...quick. Shudders...

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you, all! I was a bit worried about that post; ran it past both the other mods to see if it went over the top and edited it a bit to make it less graphic.

Welcome, NTO!

I think a lot of abdominal exercises need to be done before I can manage that cartwheel, Sarah_K! Or maybe it?s one of those things you need to learn when you?re 9. My sparring buddy was a gymnastics champion in school; she can do it NO-HANDED! (I?m so jealous!) There are competitions, but I try to avoid them; I?m just doing it for the workout.

Yes, it was quick, dianethx (figured I owed the poor thing that much). Let me get you all off this cliff before I go out?

Now what? He'd been lucky so far. His luck wouldn't last. The smell of blood and other things was overpowering. He turned his head, and felt queasy at the viciously sharp hook slicing forward towards the woman's body. And in a few more minutes...

There is no fear. With an unusual calm, drawing on all the relaxation training he'd ever had, he squinted through the darkness, trying to study the mechanism of the hook, trying to ignore what was happening to the body hanging beside him. A long lever thing, a sort of hydraulic piston fed power by a cable...

Trett directed his focus on the power cable, reaching out to sense its location in the Force, and pulled. The cable snapped out of the feeder box sending a shower of sparks over his skin. The overhead track continued to roll past. Trett cried out as the hook slashed towards him, and he desperately twisted to avoid it...exhaling in relief as it stopped several inches short of his torso. Red sparks still crackled around its base, where the cable was dangling. That would gum up the works until someone figured out what had happened.

I've got to get out of here! He peered up at the clamps around his ankles. He'd need a key or some kind of cutting device to get out of them. And he'd have to get his wrists undone first. Fast, because the blood was beginning to pound in his head, in his nose. Nosebleed. Ugh, just what I need! He shifted, swinging, hoping to get some kind of momentum to do another crunch, but he was bombarded with a powerful stream of water. "Glllrggh!" He twisted, trying to avoid it without much luck. First chopped, now drowned. How much longer could he avoid the Machine?

The water died away and in the same moment the overhead track ground to a stop. He listened, straining, but all around him, there was silence. Nothing coming from the machines. A power outage? Or had someone realized what he'd done with the hook and was coming to fix the Machine? Trett choked on the water running down his body and into his nose, and tried to swing again. He'd better take advantage of the lull while he could.

There was a sputter and a hiss, the smell of molten metal. Someone came through the wall behind him, and he was slung over a shoulder as the ankle cuffs were released. He was jogged along by his rescuer, and got a view of a filthy floor, then a short flight of stairs and the hard paved courtyard outside. He was gently set on his feet as the binders were taken off his wrists, then he stepped backwards and looked up at Myron, swallowing hard. His Master was frowning.

"Um...dere are odders idside," he said in a low voice, pinching his nose to stop the bleeding. Myron turned to glance back over his shoulder, then took off his heavy cloak, settling it around Trett's shoulders.

"Wait here. I'll be back in a moment."

The weary Padawan looked around, and went to sit down on a large barrel of some sort, staring at his feet. He closed his eyes, wondering if he would ever be able to erase the memory of what he had seen in the Machine. He hoped so. The sights, the screams would haunt his nightmares for years, he suspected.

And Myron...Trett swallowed. He had disobeyed Myron. He had put the mission in jeopardy. He had been disrespectful. The young Jedi shuffled, watching dust settle on the toes of his boots.

I understand now why he didn't want to take me

4. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Agh!!

Something tells me, though, that Myron's going to be a little more forgiving than Trett thinks... yeah, he screwed up, but his intentions were noble, and a master loves his padawan.

5. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, I had to wipe my brow. I don't think I could have taken much more...yeck. Luckily Myron has rescued him. Poor Trett. In a way, the Force helped them all by having Trett be disobedient. If he hadn't, it could have been a lot longer and a lot more people could have died!

Myron may try to be detached but how could he when he sees what is going on? Good job. Keep going!

6. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ack the machine is awful...at least Trett was rescued! I was on the edge of my seat (well floor ;)) there, excellent that Myron rescued him though! But what about the others? Ugh! At least this is showing a rather ILLegal side to slavery! Can't wait for moer!

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I think Lucy is as green as me

8. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm so glad I managed to avoid that little cliffie (not so little if you ask me! Poor Trett!) by being away from the computer the 16th and 17th (I was at a LotR Trilogy showing - it was awesome). I don't think I could have stood the strain of holding my breath until Myron got Trett out.

Poor Trett. At least he didn't get chopped up physically, and despite what he thinks I don't suppose Myron will chop him up emotionally either. What a wonderfully brave attitude though, to decide that he could handle the agri-corps.

KD

9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, I will walk around handing out anti-nausea pills for Ty-Gon, Kitara and Lucy, the worst is over! It?s okay! :)

And I?m glad you all have such a good understanding of Myron. Better than Trett does, at least, silly boy.

Oh, KD, I?m supposed to see RotK on Saturday! Can?t wait! (I read a review where some critic was mentioning how Star Wars fans were bashing LotR, and thinking ?What fans would those be?? Every SW fan I know is psyched! Yes, they?re both trilogies, and yes, they both draw from similar sources, but for crying out loud, they?re all good movies & fun to watch! Sheesh?)

Okay. Things get a wee bit mushy, and my apologies to anyone with a low mush tolerance.

He sat for a long time, miserable. At least his nose had finally stopped bleeding. After a while, he heard boots crunching on the duracrete, and, full of dread, he looked up to see Myron striding across the yard. His Master's face was white, his lips clamped tightly together and his fists were clenched so that the knucklebones stood out under the skin.

He's going to kill me. Trett stood up, stepping forward, ready to face the music. He wanted to fall at Myron's feet, begging for forgiveness, apologizing over and over for what he had done. For a long moment the Master stared at the apprentice, and Trett never wanted to see that look on his mentor's face again. He really IS going to kill me!

And then Myron reached out and pulled him into a fierce embrace, squeezing him. Trett froze. Of all possible responses, he hadn't expected this one. Tentatively, he wrapped his arms around the elder man who held him harder. Myron was trembling. "Oh, my boy," he whispered. "Oh, son..."

Trett began to wonder if this was some obscure Jedi punishment after all, since he was beginning to have trouble breathing, but when he started to squirm Myron loosened his grip and pulled back to look at his student.

"You're alive," he breathed, touching the boy's cheek. "You're not hurt?"

"No, not much. My shoulder, a little."

Trett had barely gotten the words out before Myron had turned him, pulling away the cloak and carefully examining the wound.

"The cut is deep but I don't think it's serious," he said. "Still, we'd better have the medics look at it. There's a risk of infection, those blades are far from sterile..." And then he was hugging Trett again, shuddering.

It was a strange reaction, Myron had never been a huggy sort. Trett reached around behind him awkwardly, trying to return it.

"M-Master," he said, "I'm so sorry! I-- You-"

A hand rested gently over his mouth. "Enough."

Trett gathered himself, forcing himself to stay calm. "I know you didn't want to bring me on this mission, and you were right, because I screwed up, just like you knew I would."

"What?" Myron turned him around and stared into his eyes with an intense gaze. "Is that what you thought?"

"I..." Trett swallowed. "I was dis-disre-respectful," he said, swallowing a lump in his throat. "I jeopardized the mission, and I...I d-disobeyed you, but I d-didn't want to-"

"Oh, Renn." Myron rested his hand against the boy's head, and Trett grabbed on to it, not caring that he was getting too old for that sort of thing. "Renn, I didn't want you to come because I knew this mission would upset you. No one likes slavery, and you... you have such compassion for others, I knew you would feel their pain and their misery, and that you would be deeply hurt to think that you couldn't do anything to fix that. You are still very young... I just wanted you to have a little more time before you had to face such evil. Just a little more time." He smiled, and the warmth went straight to Trett's heart. "I never worry about whether you will let me down, since it has been my experience that you exceed my expectations."

Trett swallowed. "Then...then you're not...?"

"Not what?"

"Not going to renounce m-me?"

"Rendell!" Trett realized that Myron really was shocked, now. And hurt.

"You'd be...you'd be with

10. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    He's not mad, but he's upset because he's deeply disappointed.

NEVER have I seen a master act so much like a parent. :)

Wonderful, Renata.

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I love mush, especially parental father/son mush. I was quite happy that Myron had just the right amount of love to give while reminding Trett that he was disappointed in his behavior. And the dead may serve the living. Once this hits the holovids, there will be no turning back....

Good job!

12. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Are we seeing the makings to the end of slavery?

13. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I can't believe that I've been so busy I haven't replied! I do get up early in the morning to race over to this fic and read the latest installment, but then I just get busy and forget to write something. Forgive me, Renata! *hangs head in shame*

I liked the way that Siral wanted a discount for Rendell because he was afraid that the Jedi might "change the formula." Now we just could not have Force-sensitive snorgs and banthas running around the galaxy, could we?

I liked the understated way that you described The Machine and its effects. You really were inspired by Chicken Run weren't you? I should watch it -- maybe I'll be inspired, too! Liked the part about inverted abdominal crunches being good exercise -- trust Trett to fall back onto thoughts of his Jedi training in times of crisis!

And I'm so glad that it was just an anonymous female slave ahead of Trett, and not Seph! Well, not glad that she got killed, that is, but glad that Seph seems to be behind Trett and therefore still alive. He is still alive, isn't he?

The slicing blades reminded me of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ... "only the penitant man will pass." I'm sure that Rendell is very penitent right about now. :)

Trett's really good at getting out of sticky situations, isn't he? First physically, and now with the Force. Good idea to go for the power cable. The nosebleed was a nice touch, too. A good detail. The water is to help wash away any extra blood?

Myron saved him! Hooray, he got there in time! But Trett did his own part, too; even apart, they're working together. I'm sure Myron was both surprised and relieved to find his padawan still alive at this stage of The Machine.

At this tender age, Rendell's already had experience with RepSec? When is THIS story coming out? ;)

Good description of furious Myron! I could tell that he was furious about what he'd seen inside The Machine, though, not necessarily at Rendell. And that hug -- what a relief! Great comic relief there with the "obscure Jedi punishment!"

Myron knows just what to say! Rendell exceeds his expectations! Wow. I loved how nicely he explained why he didn't want Rendell on this mission, because he knew how it would affect him, and he just wanted to give the boy some more time. That was really touching. :) And I liked the way that he was calmly able to confess that he was disappointed and upset. I should take lessons from Myron -- maybe I could do better with my own kids, instead of shouting at them.

Good touch, having the RepSec agent pale with fury as well. This really is going to be the catalyst towards ending slavery. Excellent, Renata! :)

14. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Nice mush. I'm glad we didn't get Myron so glad to have Trett back that he glossed over his disappointment etc. I do think it might have turned out better from the beginning if he had explained to Trett earlier, as he did now, why he was trying to shield Trett. Of course if he had, there might not have been as much story - in which case the incipient heart failure index would also have been greatly lowered.

Renata, I don't get the bashing either, but it is ubiquitous in all fandoms as nearly as I can tell. But I have to say, RotK will take a lot of work to beat both in terms of stand-alone-film-ness and trilogy-ending-ness. I have quibbles but they are so minor... I plan on seeing RotK again myself this weekend. Hubby wants to see it at least once more. And I have to take my mummy. (Lucky me, I have to see it twice more.)

KD

15. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    *give such a heavy sigh of relief that she slumps out of her chair and under the desk*

*there comes a yowl of protest* Cripes! Sorry, Lu, I didn't see you hiding down there. *Lucy gives a greenish glare of death* She'll be just fine when the pills kick in; thanks for passing them on, by the way!

I must say that you are a master of description, whatever you put your hand to. Rendell's escape was equally nail-biting and claustrophobic, with the perfect ending to the whole mess: he survived. When the wall started melting, I knew everything was going to be fine and wonderful! Or, well, as fine as anything can be after going through? that. [distressed_face]

No need to apologize for the mush to me at least; I have a not-at-all-closet fondness mush, and I absolutely loved this scene! In some ways I often find myself wishing that the Jedi in general were more demonstrative (though that would seem wrong when you consider their rules about attachment), but one thing is certain: if they were, then scenes like this wouldn't come home to you nearly so well. I for one almost cried. Particularly where Myron called him 'son'. Little wonder they are so close years later ? little wonder at all.

At the same time, I like that you didn't lose sight of the fact that this was very much a product of Rendell's foolish disobedience. Granted, without him and his tracking signal, it's unlikely they would have discovered the goals of this plot before a lot more slaves were killed, but that's not the point here. I liked the way Myron was faintly horrified that Rendell could even think such a thing, and Rendell himself was quite ready to assume all blame within spitting distance. Myron's points about how he was trying to protect his apprentice were very good ones, especially when you consider Renn's personality. ;)

Lucy declares that she was NOT 'hiding' under the desk, and hopes that this whole grisly mess can be turned to good account by the sickened RepSec folks who came with Myron to investigate. I second that motion! :D

I avoided piano recitals when I took lessons; not the same thing, but close. I played for my own enjoyment, and didn't much care for the pressure! :)

Sarah >^,,^<

16. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Awww the last post was very cute, Myron was definitely acting just like a father. I love Master\Apprentice relationships like that.

17. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, I saw RotK this morning, and it was great. The critics? comments on length & editing seemed justified, and I had a few minor quibbles, too, KD, but it was still a great film and I heartily recommend it to all. I won?t say anything else, so I won?t spoil it. I would like to see it again. And they had a preview for the Harry Potter film this summer. Movie goodness all around! :D

Thank you, Ty-Gon. I was reading in one of the RPG supplements that one reason Jedi Masters are so careful when choosing an apprentice is that it is the legal equivalent of adoption. I?m not sure I buy that entirely, but in the case of these two, at least, that is very much the relationship.

Don?t worry, Jane, Seph is still alive (after what I put the poor kid through, I simply couldn?t kill him!). And Trett is indeed, very, very, very penitent, right about now.

I?m not a HUGE mush-o-phile, dianethx and Sarah_K, but I do enjoy a little mush, used judiciously. And this just had to be there. Was reading back over everyone?s comments, and have to say that you are just too smart, dianethx, you did have it pegged from the start! :) And you?re right about this, too: And the dead may serve the living. Once this hits the holovids, there will be no turning back.... Exactly!

Are we seeing the makings to the end of slavery? Yes, indeed, Kitara, in fact, if you stay tuned?

Trett had only been in the Senate building once, and it hadn't been this crowded. The corridors were packed, with species crammed shoulder to shoulder, all talking at once. He and Myron struggled through the crowds to the upper levels, where the Jedi offices were. The Jedi had three delegates in the Senate, non-voting delegates, to be sure. They were there to observe and to advise. And for many, many years the Jedi serving in those roles had lobbied tirelessly and unobtrusively to bring this day about.

The Jedi offices were packed as well, with many of the most senior members of the Order, men and women, great Masters, who had spent their lives fighting for justice. And who all wanted to be here on this historic occasion.

Trett tugged at his tunic, his best one, uncomfortably conscious that he was the youngest, most junior member there. But the elders smiled at him in greeting. Even so, he stayed close on Myron's heels as his Master made his way across the large audience room.

"Myron! Rendell!" Amut ducked under the arm of Mistress Kloous as she made a sweeping gesture to illustrate some point. "How's the shoulder?"

"Fine," said Trett, with a quick glance at his master. Myron's fears had proved true, and the wound had become infected. It wasn't serious, though, and he'd had a pleasant time recovering at Senator Maxett's beautiful country house on Corellia. It was Myron who was still affected, waking from nightmares frantically calling his student's name, and barely letting Trett out of his sight. "I'm glad you came," he added.

Amut smiled back, and bowed his head to Myron, who had been hard on Trett's heels. "A war fleet couldn't have kept me away," he said.

"What is the news?" asked Myron. Amut and Sen-senai had been following up on the events on Ananzial.

The younger Knight grinned broadly. "Dien Nepp sends his best regards," he said, grinning, "and I've never seen a Sullustan so excited! As you suspected, there's enough evidence of insurance fraud to jail them all for life on that alone."

"Insurance fraud?" said Trett, puzzled.

"The slave owners secretly sold the less desirable slaves to the pirates, who had a contract with the feed manufacturers. They avoided paying the sales tariff and customs duties that way, which has Galactic Revenue involved," explained Myron.

"And it's all over right there," added Amut, chuckling. "I'd rather face a Sith than an audit from Galactic Revenue!" He excused himself as Mistress Kenmit beckoned him.

"It was all about money, then," said Trett, trying to keep a bitter note from his voice. Myron g

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm too smart??? I'm blushing here. Actually, I do analysis of unknowns for a living and I love puzzles and murder mysteries (Agatha Christie is my favorite) and finding out clues. You wrote this so well that the clues made sense. It was quite fun to try and figure out what was going on!

Great job all around. And Myron is right - it's usually about money. Follow the flow of money and find out what is really going on - past facades, past false smiles, past sentiment and excuses. I assume there is at least one more post....

19. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    bad dreams huh. well Trett doesn't need to worry about being sent away now huh? however now he may have a 'very' overprotected master.

20. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    What is that saying... follow the money. It usually works.

21. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    "It's usually about money."

How is it that so much of human existence is so sad that it can be summed up that way?

And it's true about our own galaxy, too?

Dang.

Wonderful writing, as usual.

22. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    And Myron is right - it's usually about money. That is so depressingly true. I do love how well Renata makes a believeable world for us.

KD

23. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    About the money...it certainly always is. Poor Trett, being so young and exposed to this.

Excellent post, Renata.

24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Glad you all like it! Kitara?s saying ?Follow the money? is going to stay with me, I suspect. :)

Actually two more after this one (it was just too long to post in one chunk).

"Myron!" A tall, powerfully-built man with blazing dark eyes cleared a pathway to grip his Master's hand. "A great day, Myron!"

"A great day indeed, Dooku. Hard to believe we've lived to see it."

Trett shifted nervously as the great Jedi Master Dooku turned his attention to the young Padawan.

"And we have this young man to thank, I understand?"

"Me?" Trett blushed. "Oh, no sir, I didn't do anything. I just...sort of stumbled into something. It was really an accident."

"He simply helped finish the process," agreed Myron.

"Do not underestimate your contribution, young Rendell," said Dooku. His eyes flashed. "Once the people of the Republic saw the newsvids, saw those abominations, those factories... Even the most dedicated apologist couldn't excuse that treatment of living, sentient beings! It was the knowledge of those machines that turned the tide."

"Well, it certainly makes me think twice about eating Bantha," said Myron lightly. He glanced quickly at Trett, who was squirming at being under such scrutiny, and lowered his voice. "Have you learned any more about... the buyer?"

Dooku's eyes darkened. "No," he said. "He appears to have covered his tracks quite well. This Vhan Danktarr says the man contacted him. He doesn't know much about him... Rumor is that he was once a powerful Jedi Knight, who became corrupted and left the Order."

Myron shook his head. "No," he said. "Not in our lifetimes. We would have heard about him."

"I agree. Don't worry, my old friend. We will find him. It is only a matter of time." Dooku glanced at Trett and lowered his voice even more. "None of us will be comfortable as long as someone is running around looking for Force-sensitive children. We will find him. Believe me."

Trett looked at his Master in surprise. He hadn't realized the Jedi were investigating the mysterious figure who had tried to buy him. Myron looked glum; he must have been hoping for better news. Instead he nodded, and rested his hand on Rendell's shoulder, as if physical contact could protect the boy from whatever evil lay out there in the Galaxy.

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely.. have a wonderful Christmas!

Oh, now that I'm back from my very short trip, I really like Myron. He's just the right person for Trett, worrying about him and trying to keep him close. Good job!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.