main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends To Skin a Gundark (Trett) --COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    the mysterious buyer might be a former jedi? Is this a little bit of misdirection or is there another shadowy figure out there to leave us hiding under our beds at night?

I'm so upset I didn't get to see the movie yesterday. Instead I was up to my elbows in cookie decorating- Martha Stewart I ain't! But one of the attorneys in my office volunteered to eat the "artistically challenged" cookies. (his words, not mine)

2. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Ooh, Dooku. Very nice.

Merry Christmas. :)

3. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    The board is set, the pieces are moving: we come to it at last. *stops* Whoops, no more ROTK for me. [face_blush]

Well at least we can be glad that this monstrosity has had such a jarring impact on the Senate! I liked the picture you painted of people rushing about, and all of those Jedi crowded together, eagerly talking. In that great crowd it was easy to see how Rendell's contribution was really little more than that of coincidence, and far from being disappointing, that fact is what gives this story its realism. And it's no wonder he feels out of place! :)

Interesting that you should include Dooku here -- you did an excellent job of making him seem such a great figure amongst the Jedi. It's a maddening thing that, as in Lord of the Rings, we have here a character (coincidentally *also* played by Christopher Lee, as was Saruman) who is destined to inflict great harm on his world -- though not as THE master villain -- and nobody knows sees it. Makes you want to pull out your hair. ;)

I also really liked that it was Myron who seemed to be having such problems recovering from this mess. I'm sure Rendell is having difficulties with dreams as well, but memories fade more quickly than fears.

Lucy is looking forward keenly to the next post and we'll be back in after Christmas! :D

Now to go finish gift-wrapping... (Lucy, are you SURE you want to give *everybody* on your list tuna?) Merry Christmas!

Sarah >^,,^<

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you all! I am luxuriating in the knowledge that I don?t have to be back in the office until Monday. Aaah?

I think you did the wise thing, dianethx. Holiday is for kids & family & it?s nice to spend it under your own roof, once in a while.

I?m of the ?who cares how it looks? school, Kitara. Martha is the woman I love to hate, and I used to watch her show just to make rude comments at the TV ? ?sure, babe, we ALL have time to make our own wrapping paper at Christmas!!? Bet the cookies tasted delicious! I'm not a cookie baker myself; always seems so fiddly scooping each one on to the sheet. But, ah, the rewards! :cool:

I?ll tell you, Ty-Gon, Dooku was not on my original game plan, he wiggled his way in when I realized I?d have to wrap up evil dark Lord storyline (I kind of picture him as Palpy?s predecessor, since Palpy & Myron are about the same age).

we have here a character?who is destined to inflict great harm on his world -- though not as THE master villain -- and nobody knows sees it. Including himself, Sarah_K. I think of him as a fairly tragic figure, too? I am sure that he really was an idealist and deeply committed to the Jedi and to peace at one time. I wonder if George will give us his real backstory, on just where he went astray.

Lucy?s only giving tuna so she won?t have to share the salmon! ;)

Tomorrow, my friends, is the last post.

A soft bell sounded through the Senate chambers, and the Jedi began to file to the viewing galleries. Trett hung back. The elders had the right to stand witness, but he could watch in here on the monitors. But Myron gripped the back of his neck, gently guiding the boy in front. Not to the viewing galleries... into the Senate box!

"Myron...I don't think I should-"

"No, you are to sit with me."

Trett peered into the box. The three Jedi representatives to the Senate were already there, in the most formal robes of ivory. Several of the Council members were squeezed in there as well, and Master Yoda, who waved impatiently.

"Come!" he ordered, glancing at the Senate floor. All around, others were squeezing into the viewing galleries. Holocams flitted around the great interior chamber, and the Senators were packing their boxes with so many guests that it was a wonder the building didn't collapse.

"But...but I'm just..."

"Earned this, you have," said Yoda. With Yoda and Myron so insistent, the boy couldn't refuse, and the other elders smiled and made a place for him.

Myron looked at one of the representatives, a Kloour named Pendaki Roukk. "It will pass," he said.

"Yes. I suspect the Klaraandi and the Malastarian delegation might try to filibuster," replied Roukk, shaking his heavy head crest.

"The Chancellor is ready for that," said another delegate, the distinguished Jedi Mistress Faeyala Lilliule. She smoothed the folds of her robe and adjusted the dangling beaded headdress that symbolized her homeworld. "The only real glitch is probably going to be Senator Icek of the Arion system."

Roukk snorted, causing the airsacks on either side of his headcrest to ripple. "He'll vote against it, just to be in the history books," he grumbled.

"But all the rest will vote in favor," said Lilliule. "Even the holdouts, Krreez and Kessel have come over. And Hanakis will come over."

"Hanakis?" said Myron, raising an eyebrow. "Senator Garill is suddenly in favor of abolition?"

Lilliule smiled. "I understand the distinguished Senator from Kashykk was very... persuasive," she murmured.

"Ssh, beginning they are!" said Yoda, intent.

Trett looked at the Chancellor, who stood tall in her place.

"Order, please," she said. "We recognize the distinguished Senator from Corellia."

Senator Maxett's box floated to the center of the Senate chamber. "Distinguished colleagues," he said. "Two days ago, I introduced to this assembly Resolution 5679-G: The Act of Emancipation, calling for an end to slavery in all forms in all member systems of the Republic and abolishing the trade, sale, and use

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks. You have a good holiday too.

Trett deserves to be there. Accidental or not - there's no such thing as luck - he helped bring about this and he should stand witness!

Great job. I could just picture this whole thing! Looking forward to the next post!

6. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Nice couple of posts...love how Trett's going to be there for the passing of abolition :-D (or so I HOPE it does...otherwise I may have to beat some senators heads in ;))

7. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    There is nothing quite as persuassive as a large wookie :)

8. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Nothing quite as persuasive as a large Wookiee with his whole planet behind him... ;)

9. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Finally! The Christmas rush is over! I can sit down and reply to fics again. :)

Wonderful description there of all the Jedi crowding into the Senate, wanting to be there for the big moment after having laboured for so long to get to this point.

Boy, I really understand how Myron feels after this narrow escape; having nightmares and not wanting to let Rendell out of his sight. I still feel a little twinge of fear every time Christian goes out the door on his own.

I'm glad to hear that the Jedi are investigating the mysterious buyer, but I'm not sure I like the fact that Dooku is involved.

Nice that Senator Maxett was the one who made the motion for the Resolution. And it seems to me that Jedi Lilliule has now called for a vote, forestalling any more discussion? It does sound indeed like the Malastarians were trying to filibuster -- I don't blame the Jedi if they did make special arrangements with the Chancellor to avoid just that.

I was glad to hear that Seph was safe, anyway.

Wonderful fic! I'm sad to see it coming to an end.

10. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Sorry, my friends! I meant to post this last one yesterday but ran into computer problems. In technical terms, the tab-thingy came off the plug-thingy, so it wouldn?t stay in the socket-thingy. Stores were open today, so I bought a new cable (and a few back ups)& we?re cooking with gas! :D

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. I am happy to report that the pie turned out pretty well? a few crust problems, which I attribute to store-bought crust. I?ve got to buckle down and do my own someday. And thank you for the tip, dianethx; the Yorkshire pudding was puffy and beautiful (until I cut into it and it collapsed) and remarkably easy to make. I didn?t have many drippings to work with; it was a rather lean roast. Next time I?ll get one with more fat on or roast some oxtails along side.

I gotta say, that is a quote to conjure with, Kitara: There is nothing as persuasive as a large Wookiee. It really says it all! :D What do you think, Ty-Gon? how would that be as the opening sentence for the next Fiction Challenge? ?There is nothing quite as persuasive as a large Wookiee.?

Poor Jane? I?m glad your little guy is bouncing back, but I can just imagine!

Lunetta, don?t worry, you won?t have to beat up the Senators! (I don?t think the Jedi would let you! J

Okay, here?s the end?

The Malastarians screamed in denial, but the Senators supporting the abolition coalition jumped to their feet, crying "Second the motion! Call the question! Vote now!"

Trett was tried to remember what that meant, and a fragment of a long-ago class on procedures came to him. Calling the question meant an end to discussion, if the motion was seconded. He grinned up at Lillule, and looked over at the Chancellor, who nodded regally. So it had been arranged in advance!

"Objection! Objection!" screamed Orrm. His protests were in vain.

The Chancellor glared at him. "The distinguished delegate from Malastare is out of order." She cleared her throat, surveying the chamber, enjoying the moment, and continued. "We will call the role, and we ask for silence as it will take some time. Will those in favor of adopting the act of Emancipation and abolishing slavery in the Republic please vote aye?"

The Speaker, a frail, willowy Grill, peered down at the roster. "Aalanaax?"

Senator Myanga rose to her feet. "Aalanaax votes aye!" she said, in a clear, ringing voice.

"Acacia?"

Senator Trooum's antennae were glowing red with excitement. "Acacia votes aye!" chirped her translator box.

"Alderaan?"

Visor Organa was already standing. "Alderaan votes aye!" His voice rang out in the cool chamber.

"Alderaa'an?"

"Alderaa'an votes aye!"

Trett listened, not knowing what to think or how to feel as the long role of names was called and as one by one the Senators voted to abolish slavery. The Senate had long been divided, but the horror of the agricultural factories had hit people as nothing before, and many systems where slavery was permitted, if not encouraged, had rushed to abolition, while Maxett's Coalition had swelled.

"Corellia?"

"Corellia votes AYE!" The distinguished Senator raised his fists over his head in a victory salute. Trett could see Maxett glance up towards the Jedi box, grinning broadly. Myron nodded back.

"Cori-Asallan?"

"Cori-Asallan votes aye!"

"Coruscant?"

Senator Fliffe glided to her feet, almost lazily. "Coruscant...votes aye!"

It was a historic moment, and he was aware of that. Everyone in the room was aware of it. He felt as if he should be doing more or something, but he didn't know what. The roll call went on and on.

"Kashykk?"

The Wookiee Senator's roar blew out the translation box, and there was a brief murmur from the crowd until the device could be restored and his enthusiastic "aye!" could be recorded.

As Lilliule had predicted, Senator Icek voted "nay" and the voting had to be paused for a full fifteen minutes as the audience booed and made their displeasure known. In the end, Icek and his staff slunk out under t

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wonderful. Very satisfying and almost a tear-jerker ending (that's a good thing). Terrific. I even talked about this fic at work!
    Good job and I expect more fics in future!!!

Glad to let you in on the secret of good Yorkshire pudding. I even like it cold the next day (but then I like cold pizza too). Oh, to get it to not collapse, just wait a few minutes out of the oven to cool slightly and they should stay up. The worst pudding is one that doesn't rise - it never has the right texture!

12. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Wonderful ending. Sobs- I can't believe it's over :(

I would love to see that line as a challenge :)- any takers?? (besides Renata, of course)

13. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Excellent ending...loved this:

What?"

"The next time you decide to change the galaxy, don't nearly get yourself killed doing it, okay?"

Trett grinned. "I promise," he said.
    Hehehhe, but isn't that what it usually takes to save the galaxy? ;)

14. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    "The next time you decide to change the galaxy, don't nearly get yourself killed doing it, okay?"

Ah, Master Myron, that's why we love you.

Bravo, Renata, for a wonderful ending!!

And I think the persuasive Wookiee would be a fine way to introduce a new challenge...

15. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    What do you think, Ty-Gon? how would that be as the opening sentence for the next Fiction Challenge? ?There is nothing quite as persuasive as a large Wookiee.? I dunno about Ty-Gon but my brain is already running with it. (I have a lot in common with Jane's Kiu and her tendancy to try to run before she can walk.) Only I have to start (if it isn't too late) posting my current winter challenge attempt first.

the Yorkshire pudding was puffy and beautiful (until I cut into it and it collapsed) My mum makes them as little individual ones in muffin tins. Then they are all puffy and beautiful even when you take them out. And they make lovely little gravy cups. Which is basically what they are at our house. She used to use bacon drippings saved for the purpose to cook them (and make it possible to get them out of the tin) but now she just uses oil and it seems to work for her. She usually has to make at least 4 per person and there are never leftovers. 'Course we like our Yorkshires sort of crispy and others might not...

Ahhh, lovely ending to a lovely story.

KD (sorry for the off topic wander into food but Renata started it <g>)

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you, thank you! (I did indeed eat it cold, dianethx, for breakfast. And it didn't last long at all. I saw a recipe for those muffin cups, KD, but I didn't have enough drippings. Next year, ox tails.)

Myron thanks you, Ty-Gon. Considering that both he AND Trett ended up with much bigger roles than I ever imagined (Arwen was the original character I'd envisioned), I'm rather pleased with how they've evolved. The dread specter of Gary Stu always hovers over my shoulder. And of course, I know that lunetta knows that is one promise Trett will be hard-pressed to keep! [face_laugh]

I'm going to devote some time to "Invisible Enemy," Kitara, so there won't be immediate Trett withdrawal.

Thank you all again! And feel free to take up Kitara's Wookiee challenge. The possible suggestion of a shadow of a bunny is forming in my mind...

17. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    You and KD are absolutely torturing me with all your yorkshire pudding talk. I have a great recipie for the muffin sized ones, but no reason to make them right now :_|

18. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    *tragic sigh* I love endings, but I hate knowing I won't get any more posts on a story I like. What a paradox. :p

The final culmination of something I have been hoping for always makes me do two things: shiver and smile like an idiot, and if the amount of grinning and shivering is any guide, you did full justice to your climax! :D A lot more great description, especially of the various Senators and their views and votes. Particularly interesting to me were the one guy who voted for slavery just to be remembered, the Togorian who was so excited he nearly plunged from his box, and the wookiee who blew out his translator. I liked seeing Organa there too.

Handy little set-up between the Chancellor and the Jedi too! *applauds* Clever people! And a nice way to have the Jedi involved since ? even though it would obviously be a bad idea to give the Jedi a vote in the Senate ? it is the Jedi who will find themselves with the task of upholding whatever is decided.

And it was highly appropriate that they should all be so emotional for a change. Contrary to what Trett may have started out thinking, there is not a Jedi in the Order I would say who has not loathed his or her position as a silent supporter of a bad system. I loved the ending there between Myron and Rendell:

"You kept your promise, Master," he murmured.

Myron glanced down, surprised. "Which one was that?"

"You said that I'd never have to teach an apprentice of mine how to inspect a slave ship. And now I won't."

Myron smiled. "And now will you promise me something, my Padawan?"

"What?"

Trett grinned. "I promise," he said.

Don't make promises you can't keep. ;) A perfect finish to a great fic! I do hope you will write more for us soon. In the meanwhile, at least I still have Invisible Enemy. :)

I've had similar thoughts on Dooku myself ? and really, the comparison still holds since Saruman did not start out bad either. It would be nice to have a little more info! Mr. Lucas? Any thoughts?

Lucy?s only giving tuna so she won?t have to share the salmon!

*snorts into her hand, then wipes her expression neutral as her cat doses out a Look Of Death* Ahem. Oh, and Lucy wanted to second my praises on the ending and express her own fond hopes that she'll see a new story from you in a short while. She wonders (as ever) if a few cat cameos might be possible?? :D

Sarah >^,,^<

19. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    You and KD are absolutely torturing me with all your yorkshire pudding talk. I have a great recipie for the muffin sized ones, but no reason to make them right now. For the true anglophilic gravy addict no reason to make them is necessary. The mere fact that then they will exist is reason enough. If you really have to have roast beef before you can be comfortable making them go buy some slices from the deli counter and use vegetable oil (there's never enough drippings off a roast anyway) for the fat to cook them in. Some of the canned gravies are acceptable substitutes for homemade if you are desperate for Yorkshires.

Woopsie - got back into food again....

I wanted to thank Renata again for writing this story because one of the comments Myron makes in it inspired me to do a bit more research on some stuff than I otherwise would have and it is turning out to be quite useful for a still in progress fic as well as for the winter one I did. So thanks again Renata. And I hope you will be giving us another soon.

KD

20. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I just realized that I forgot to comment on this last post. How embarrassing, how embarrassing!

The Chancellor before Valorum is a woman? Good job! I liked the cold way that she told the delegate from Malastare that he was out of order, and the way that she was enjoying the moment as she looked around the chamber.

Visor Organa must be Bail's father? Politics seem to run in that family.

Good detail there about the Wookiee Senator blowing out his translator!

The name Icek reminds me of the word "icky". I liked the way that everybody booed him for fifteen minutes, and the way that he had to be protected as he slunk out of the chamber. :D

Another nice detail with Trett's stomach growling! But he's right -- voting against slavery is more important.

Malastare voted aye? Amazing, the power of example!

Oh, wonderful epilogue for Seph there; cosmetic improvements and a life in the Agri-Corps -- sounds ideal!

Awww, Myron is so wonderful! "The next time you decide to change the galaxy ..." Does he think that Trett is going to make a habit of this?

Wonderful ending! Can't wait for the next fic!

And I agree about the idea for a fic challenge: There is nothing quite as persuasive as a large Wookiee. When will we start and who will judge? Or should we make it a sort of anthology thread with no judging, just for fun? I do have the feeling that Renata would appreciate that more.

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Great idea, Jane! Kitara's Wookiee Challenge is now an Anthology thread in "Vote for the Forum of Your Choice" -- I think "Saga" might be a good compromise? No judging, no awards, no colors...

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    As this lovely story is our current Before the Saga Story of the Month, I've taken the liberty of unlocking and upping it for those who wish to reply.

I hope you don't mind Renata. :)

23. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Not at all! I can't believe it's been so long since I posted this... I feel so OLD...

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a great story! I can see why this one got voted Story of the Month! =D=

25. LostBook

LostBook Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    Awesome fic, I love Trett and Myron (who has a cool name too by the way!) :) I read your fic "A Force to Be Reckoned With" which was also really good (but is a locked topic so I couldn't reply) and now I'm going back and reading your other Trett fics in the order on your profile! I do so love a truly well written origonal character! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.