main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends To Sleep, Perchance To Dream... L/M, Angst-ish AU

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Klimt_Of_Tornesdal, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Originally I started to write this as a response to the SJRS latest challenge. This is what I ended up with, and although not really what I had in mind, it kinda wrote itself. Guess you'll have to take it up with my muse...

-----------

Luke slowly made his way through the cemetery, past the various marker stones to the place where they would usually meet. So many markers with so many names from so many worlds... yet as unique as each and every one of them were there was only one that really held meaning for him. The one that stood with the date marked as a constant reminder of when their life together had ended. The letters glittered in the faint starlight as his fingers brushed over them, and he smiled sadly at the memory of them.

My Beloved Companion.

He remembered Mara's reaction when he first told her the story of what had been said in the caves of Nirauan after she had slipped into a healing trance – he had been expecting a number of different responses to be sure, but her laughing in his face hadn't been one of them. That was his Mara though; there wasn't a day they had spent together where she hadn't found some way to surprise him, right up until the end. Lost in his memories, he hadn't realised he was no longer alone until he heard her voice.

“Hello Farmboy.”

“Mara.” He turned to face her and felt the love they had together burning through him like a star going nova. “You look more beautiful than ever.”

“Nice try lover, but I don't think flattery will be doing either one of us much good given our situation.” She quirked an eyebrow with a mischievous grin. “Unless there's something new you've learnt about the Force that you'd really like to try out.”

“If I had you'd be the first to know.” Luke went quiet for a moment, and the smile faded. “I've missed you.”

“And I've missed you. Although I imagine things would have to be peaceful with me not there.”

“Very peaceful, yes.” He paused. “Ben is growing so quick. Things between he and Jysella are.... developing.”

“Developing? What's that supposed to...?” She paused, reading Luke's expression. “No. No, nononono.... Kriff no!”

“Mara...”

“You've blown your stabilisers. We had an agreement, no girlfriends until he's at least 35. It worked for you just fine.”

“It's the will of the Force, they're meant to be.”

“Yeah, well the show isn't over until the Hutt wallows.”

“Mara, it's his time.” He saw her standing there with her arms folded tightly across her chest, a pose he knew all too well, and he wished with all his heart he could reach out and put his arms around her, to hold her close to him one more time. “You know what to do.”

“Speak softly and carry a full blaster clip.” Mara growled, but the fire had gone out of her voice. She sighed and turned to Luke. “I just don't want to see him get hurt. I want to keep him safe.”

“As do I, my love. I've seen them together when no one else can, and you know what they say: if it walks, talks and stalks like a Quarren, well...” She nodded slowly, conceding the point to Luke and they stood in silence for a moment until the ground beneath their feet began to shudder and every horizon rang with the chimes of a bell. Their eyes locked, and the pain was clear in both their expressions.

“No, not yet, it's too soon.” Mara called as a tear ran down her cheek, and she reached towards Luke. “Please, just a little longer.”

“I'm sorry Mara, it's time for me to go.” The bells tolled again and the ground shook harder than before. “Give Ben my love, and give him yours as well. Know that when it is time for us to be together again, I'll be here waiting for you. And most of all,” Everything turned to white around her as his last words rang in her ears. “Know that I will always love you....”

==========

The early morning sunlight shone through the window and lit up Mara's face as she awoke with a groan. Reaching out with one hand she slapped at her bedside chrono, shutting off the alarm, and she let her arm fall across the empty space left in their bed. Six months it had been, and she still felt surprised when she woke up alone each morning. Six months since some kravix with too much spice and not enough sense had collided with their speeder and ended the best part of her life.

Reaching out with the force, Mara drew the curtains across, blocking the light and dropping the room back into darkness. She lifted a holodisplay frame from beside her bed and traced his features with a finger as her vision began to blur with tears. They had looked so young, so happy together in that holo. How could she have known that was the last night they would have together?

“And I will always love you. Until the end of all that is.”

Mara held the frame to her chest, rolling onto her side and pulling the blankets up over her head. Hoping to sleep, and to dream, just one more time....

2. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Dark, yes. But that's what you get for quoting Shakespeare first as your title.

Believe me, that whole soliloquy fits perfect with yours in meaning. But what a twist at the end, if not an unexpected and grim way of dying. But no less emotional. You prove that Mara is as strong as ever. Makes me want to quote the Bard as well: What a piece of work is a man...(or woman!)

3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    [face_worried] :_|

Wow, what a twist! I thought Mara was the one to have died, but you turned it around.

So, so sad. Poor Mara! :_|

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Klimt!!! You still got game! @};- :* !!!! That was a twist =D= =D= Very heart-tugging. :( !!

Sweetly angsty -- I never thought I would ever put those two words together in a review [face_laugh] Certain authors are corrupting me. ;)

Huggles!

5. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Yay, Mara's not dead! Sucks for farmboy though. :p

;)

6. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Such sweet ansgt [face_love] :_|

Great response for the challenge.

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful! @};-

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow. Really dark, yet lovely at the same time.

I liked the turn of events. Very different. I enjoy fics where Luke dies first, even if it is a sadder situation.

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Ooooh, ticksey!! I love it, though it made me very sad! Oh, Luke. :( What a great take on the challenge!! Love it.

10. Jedi_QueenBee

Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2008
    This make me want to cry like a baby!!! But this is so well written that I couldn't ignore it's title. Good Job!

11. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    aaahhhh....tears in my eyes right now!!! Still, beautifully done, that was a great twist at the end! But I still loved each bit of it, as always. Your writing is always so lovely!!

[face_good_luck] Irish

12. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Wow, wonderful story!

You had me fooled for sure. Wonderful twist at the end. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Sue

13. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    What a heartbreaking twist at the end! Great angst.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wonderful story!

You had me fooled. I too thought it was Mara that was dead at the beginning.
    I loved their talk about not letting Ben date until he was 35... to cute!

Sad yet very good.

=D=