main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To Stand Alone/ Post TPM (and beyond) AU (New Post 5-16)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jodiwent, Mar 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    (The lost parts of this story have been put back)

This starts out where and how a lot of other fanfics have, but if you read my other story you know it's going to go somewhere compleatly different, and there are side trips.

I started this way back before any of the JA books came out. I guess you could say it's AU but not quite.

The title came from the Obi-Wan comerical for Phantom Menace, I only saw it once but it left an impression.

"In a time of change
    a young man holds in his hands
    the fire of a dying age.
    To take the step from student to master
    He must trust himself to stand alone.
    Prologue

Long into the Naboo night Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker stayed by the cooling embers of Qui-Gon Jinn's funeral pyre. The man who had stood by him in life would watch over the jedi master one more time. The boy who had only met him a few days before had asked to stay with Obi-Wan as he kept his solemn vigil.

"You do not have to be the one to do this." Master Windu told the young knight.

In his typically stuborn way, a way that told Mace there would be no changing his mind, Obi-Wan replyed. "Yes I must be the one that does this."

Kenobi had compromised by letting Skywalker stay with him. He would have rather have been alone to watch over what was left of his fallen master. Now he knew, because of Qui-Gon, he and the boy were inexorably linked to each other.

Obi-Wan's attitude towards Anakin had changed, dramaticly. He knew if their bond as master and padawan were to be started on the right foot, he couldn't send Anakin away.

Very early in the morning the boy had fallen asleep. Obi-Wan kept looking from the ashed to the sleeping boy. From the past to the future. A wave of anxiety came over the young knight. He knew where his own faults lay.

He had always done well when asked to teach some of the younger jedi at the temple, but after the class was over those children whent away. Anakin Skywalker was not going away.Having a padawan involved more than teaching. He had promised Qui-Gon he would train Anakin. Now he realized that also ment raising him.

With typical confidence, he convinced himself that it would be easy. It should be easy. Obi-Wan had no better an example than he man who had raised him. 'But I'm not Qui-Gon.' The young knight thought. He didn't yet realize just how much of his master had rubed off on him. The rising sun made Anakin stir. Then with a start the boy stood.

"I'm sorry I feel asleep." Anakin yawned.

"It's alright." Obi-Wan said. "It's time."

The knight inicated towards a circular box with no cover. Anakin cringed a little, but he knew they were still paying respedt to th man they had both lost. Anakin held the strange box as Obi-Wan put what was left of Qui-Gon Jinn into it. Anakin didn't dare move an inch. Obi-Wan was so solumn. What elce should he be?

It was not far to the river and the waterfall where the two launched the ashes of the fallen jedi master, returning him to the living force. Anakin watched Obi-Wan, he was like stone. How could the boy know, inside the seemingly rock solid knight felt like sand blown in the wind.

It was different. It would neaver be the same. Obi-Wan Kenobi had mixed feelings about being back at the Jedi Temple. He neaver knew any other home. It had always given him a secure feeling, even when he was far away.

Now there was a large empty space the death of his master, Qui-Gon Jinn had left. Being around other jedi eased it some, but the loss was still fresh. He thought of the jedi saying that 'written on every saber blade is the word imperminance.'

Kenobi's place in the temple and the order was different as well. His new rank as knight would change his relationship to everyone he knew. Friends that were his peers were now his subordinates, and some supiriors, were now peers.

To add to the akwardness was his apprentice, Anakin Skywalker. It was so rare for someone who had not been identifyed under a year of age, or who h

2. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Me and my type-o's
    takin' the high road...
    (fixed some)
    "Why did you let them talk to you like that!" Anakin finally questioned.

"Things like that are not worth fighting over." The knight answered in a cool tone.

"You let them call you a fool."

"I've been called worse."

"Didn't they get you mad?"

"Anakin, anger is a worse enemy than any words spoken." Obi-Wan senced the boy was not listening.

"Your a knight they should respect you."

"Other people are allowed to have oppinions. That's freedom. That's what we fight for."

"but..." Anakin knew he was trying Obi-Wan's patients. Qui-Gon had tryed to tell him something similar on Tatooine. "Are you upset at me for being angry?"

"No. At your age I felt the same way you do now."

"Is hiding your emotions part of being a jedi?"

"I'm not hiding my emotions, I'm keeping my anger under control. Your feelings are very important." Obi-Wan repeated what he had been taught. "It's how you touch the force, but anger, fear, hate..."

"Have to be controlled?"

"I'm sorry Anakin, I may be using the wrong words. Each of us have anger, fear and even hate. Each of us are responcible for them. In a way you have to become friends with them. Know whot brings them out, being mindfull of them."

"Make friends with them? You just said they were the enemy?" Anakin looked puzzled. "I don't understand."

"You can't learn eveything in a few days." Obi-Wan said. "It's taken years for me to control my anger."

"You, angry? Your always so calm. Your like stone." The next words were out of the boy's mouth before he knew it. "Qui-Gon was hard, but at least he smiled sometimes."

"You knew him so long, that you feel confident enough to compare?" Obi-Wan snapped. "Don't ever compare me to Qui-Gon, I'm not him!"

Obi-Wan had clearly been stung, but calmed down almost instantly. "It's been a long day. No more teachings today. Your free till tomorrow." The knight left abruptly.

Anakin though about what Obi-Wan was trying to tell him. The boy knew something not to do with him, or the trial was bothering his master. he knew that was why the knight was short with him.

To keep his mind off of the problem, Anakin made his way to one of the practice halls, to watch some of the knights practice. They faught againct probes. The newcommer should have been excited to see seasoned swordsmen and women working out, but his thoughts kept returning to Obi-Wan.

He felt something, as if he knew where Obi-Wan was and that he should try to find him.

Anakin's feelings led him back to the floor where his and Obi-Wan's chambers were. They were not far apart. The knight was not there. The young jedi felt something pulling him toward another chamber down the hall. He let the force lead him.

The door was not entirely closed. Anakin looked at the identification marking on the outside...'Jinn' he could read. It was Qui-Gon's chambers.

Obi-Wan knew he would have to deal with Qui-Gon's posessions eventually, but he wasn't quite as ready as he thought. Anakin aproached quietly. He knew Obi-Wan was in there, in the low lights.

What was that he heard? Crying? Low soft crying.

Wasn't it Obi-Wan who had told him "I'll miss him (Qui-Gon) too, but he's gone, one with the force."

Anakin assumed that Obi-Wan was rock solid. He hadn't seen the softer side of his master yet. The boy realised he hadn't thought about what Obi-Wan's life long relationship to Qui-Gon had been. He had only thought of his own loss. It suddenly occured to Skywalker... 'Like his father, not just a teacher.'

Anakin was feeling now, not just thinking. Even a strong warrior could have a soft heart.

He saw Obi-Wan watching a hologram of Master Jinn. He couldn't hear all of it.
    "Trust yourself." The projection advised. "If you have to, stand alone."

Unexpectedly the lights went on, and Obi-Wan spoke. "You can come in." Anakin jumped. "It's alright." The boy sheepishly went to where Obi-Wan was kneling in the center of the room. It was surrounded with plants that sprawled everywhere.

"I..." Anakin said embarassed a

3. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Awwww. So sad. Poor Obi-Wan.

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh Jodiwent that is soo sweet.

More soon?

Kithera

5. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Glad you guys found me!
    More tonight.

6. Kaylla Norn

Kaylla Norn Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2000
    Me thinks me found another story to bookmark. Sigh, that means now I'll be stuck hanging in suspence again waiting for thoes midnight posts. A well, I can endure for a while before becoming to impatient ; > (can't figure out how to get the simley faces...grumph)

7. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    "Anakin wake up." Obi-Wan shook him. "It's time I gave you and exersize in focusing the force."

That woke Skywalker up. He was excited about the fact that he would be really training, but his growling stomach distracted him. "Are we going to eat?"

"Not yet. That's anouther thing your going to have to get used to. Sometimes on a mission we may not have suplys for days. It's better to practice when you can."

Anakin didn't question, he had neaver gone without eating before. To the slaves on Tatooine food was one of the most important things, so it was neaver neglected. They may not have had little, but neaver nothing at all.

In his mind Anakin thought Obi-Wan was going to show him something about fighting or how to move things with the force. When Obi-wan led him to a practice hall and sat him down in front of a mirror, and told lhim to contemplate the reflection, it wasn't what he'd expected.

'O.k. this won't take long.' Anakin thought. After an hour Obi-Wan had not returned. How long was he supposed to stay there? He looked at his reflection in the mirror. What was teh leason.

He found it uncomfortable at first, then he just got bored. Obi-Wan knew, it was useually how everyone felt the first time this exersize was given. He was not surprised when he returned five hours later to find Anakin asleep on the floor.

The Knight tapped his apprentice on the sholder and the boy awoke.

"I'm sorry." Anakin said as he quickly sat up. "I couldn't stay awake." Disapointment was in his voice. "I thought it would be easy."

"Don't Worrie." Obi-Wan reasured. "No one gets it the first time." Then he asked. "What do you suppose the lesson this exersize is an example of?"

"Patience?"

"Yes, but there is a second." The knight contiued. "A jedi's heart, when perfectly still and clear, reflects the image of the force. If you can't master these two lessons, the rest will be useless."

"Should I try again?"

"We jedi also have a saying, there is no try, do or not do. Today was not do, tomorrow will be do."

Anakin had noddd his understanding, but th enext day when Obi-Wan left him at th emirror, it was no easier. He didn't fall asleep this time. He was still unable to quiet his mind. How could something so simple be so hard?

When Obi-Wan returned Anakin asked. "How long can most jedi stay and just look into the mirror?"

It was indirect, but the knight senced that his padawan wanted to know how long Obi-Wan himself could contemplate the reflection.

"Let's find out." Obi-Wan said as he knelt in front of the mirror and didn't budge, for hours.

"O.k., o.k." Anakin pleaded. "You made your point."

Kenobi would make sur Skywalker did get the point. After the first day of watching his teacher, Anakin instinctively knelt next to Obi-Wan and began the exersize again. It took a few hours bur eventually the boy was able to quiet his mind.

He knew this feeling. It was like when he had been in pod races and could feel what would happen next. It was not what he had expected because he always thought it was the speed of the race that brought that feeling. Now he was totally still. Was this how the force felt? Then he could hear something.

<It's not as hard as you thought.> It was Obi-Wan, but he hadn't moved. He was speeking to Anakin through the force. <You have to unlearn some of your ideas about how things are.>

Anakin then realized that everything in the room plants and objects, all had their own presence in the force. The strongest presence in the room was Obi-Wan. The knight's presence was strong but peacefull. Anakin wondered what his own presence looked like.

Then he saw the energy that surrounded and eminated from himself. He felt how the force bound him to everything. It was unlike anything he's ever imagined. He wondered if he could use the force to talk to Obi-Wan.

<This is, incredable. Can I talk to anyone like this?>

<Not anyone. I'll explain later.>

<Am I still now?>

<Yes, you are in tune with the force. It's the first step. The rest of the journey is a long one, your ready for it.>

A

8. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    The day of rememberance was not really a cerimony. It's significance was great. It marked a week since Master Jinn's funeral.It marked the end of 'formal' mourning. They honored Qui-Gon again in a less formal way.

It represented once more the imperminance of life. Everyone would have something to remind them of their friend. Th ewhole was dispursed, like the energy of the life force, it was still there, but not.

Obi-Wan and Anakin waited in Qui-Gon's chambersfor the others. the night before they sorted through the objects and Obi-Wan thought of what to give to who. Slowly groups of people, or one, or two, arrived. They would greet Obi-Wan and say, "Remember when..." telling tales of their fallen friend. Obi-Wan would give them something of Qui-Gon's and they would leave.

I seemed like lesser ranks came first; Some younger initates and padawans that Master Jinn would demonstrate saber tecniques to in th practice halls; Then older padawans, who seemed to be friends of Obi-Wan; Knights, some of whom had been at the funeral; Finally a few masters.

It was mid afternoon when most of the room was empty, and the time between arrivals grew longer. Around this time Obi-Wan kept looking to the door, as if he were expeting someone that each person throught the door was not.

Then a young woman padawan appeared at the door. To Anakin she looked fairly fierce.

"Kenobi." She greeted. Obi-Wan looked up. He appeared as if he had to catch his breath. He was at the door in an instant.

"Shu-sen." Obi-Wan clasped the young woman's hands and they looked at each other as old friends do. They read the pain on each others faces, but were glad to see each otehr again. "I didn't think you and Aji would make it. You're aways so far away."

"we didn't hear untill three days ago. We've been on the way back since." She told him. "For Qui-Gon you know Aji would not stay away."

"Where is Aji?"

"My master is with the council, they will be here shortly." Shu-sen then noticed Anakin, who had been trying to stay out of the way. "Who is this little one?"

"You may find this hard to believe, but this is MY padawan." Shu-Sen looked supprised. Obi-Wan gestured for Anakin to approach. "Anakin Skywalker, Shu-Sen Zai."

They bowed and Shu-Sen wispered in Anakin's ear : "I'll have to show you how to really anoy kenobi before I leave."

Anakin snickered and decieded he liked Obi-Wan's friend. Unlike the others who were still arriving, she did not leave just yet. When no one but they were in the room Obi-Wan and Shu-Sen teased each other horribly, one trying to out do the other in leg pulling.

Anakin couldn't figure it out at first. They were friends. This was someone very important to Obi-Wan, but they hide it. Anakin thought to himself, 'Their jokes and rivalry cover up how they really feel about each other.'

A half an hour after the arrival of Shu-Sen Zai, the masters of the council and someone Anakin had seen in the holograms entered the room. Immediately Obi-Wan and Shu-Sen stoped joking. Almost imperceptibly they glanced at each other. They and Anakin bowed t the masters. Obi-Wan knelt in front of the newcomer.

He was a Cathar. It was the jedi master known as Aji Mikata. He seemed very old to Anakin, and he was.

"I am honored you are here." Kenobi said not looking up yet. "Master of my Master."

The huge powerfully built Cathar man crouched down and in a soft, deep friendly voice replied. "Since when are you so formal with me, my padawan's padawan?" Obi-wan looked up and Aji looked at him, or rather into him. "Yes... A very hard thing to loose our Qui-Gon."

Obi-Wan knew the master would look deeper if he didn't move, so he did. "I saved something." He stumbled over his words as he went to find where it was. "Something I thought you should have."

There were a few things set aside, from them Obi-Wan grabed two very old scabared swords. He returned to where he had been adn formally knelt again holding the swords out to Master Mikata.

"The blade of peace, and the blade of justice." Aji said slowly. "You hono

9. Darth_Servo

Darth_Servo Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 10, 1999
    http://www.geocities.com/darth_servo/servo.jpg
    Let me just say, that I hate this story! Why? Cause I can't stop reading it! Very well done and thought out! Everything was handled so well! Good job!

10. Jedi Windu

Jedi Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    This is definatly going to the top.

11. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay that last post was soooooooo sad.
    I mean it. You know the first time I saw the movie...well the only time...when Qui-Gon died I didn't blink an eye lash. I mean I thought how horrible and stuff but now I've read all this fanfiction I might not be so unemotional. My familys going to be looking at me like "your crazy" LOL

12. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    It's cute, but sad. You write very well. Keep up the posts.

13. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Really, an excellent story. You've caught the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon very well, and the juxtaposition with the new relationship to Anakin is terrific.

14. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    I just realized that I left out a line that might help anyone who hasn't read the Tales of the Jedi comics. The Cathars are humanoid/lion beings. I thought this would be cool since with all that hair Liam looked like a lion.

Aji Mikata meens friend/ally.

Shu-Sen meens the end of war.

Not so sad a post tonight.
    The next day Master Mikata and Shu-Sen appeared bright and early at the door of Obi-Wan's chambers.

"Come on Kenobi, move it!" Zaize teased. "How can we impart our wisdom and knowledge to Skywalker before we leave if you sleep all day?" Then she laughed, the way she did. "I'm going to wake him up." She flittered away like a shooting star to collect Anakin.

Obi-Wan looked up at Aji. "She has just got too much energy." He said still grogie.

The small group spent the morning together, and Master Mikata did indeed impart his wisdom to Anakin. The padawan really warmed up to Aji. The Cathar had a very large presence that would be hard for anyone to avoid.

Through out the morning Anakin noticed something subtle going on between Obi-Wan and Shu-Sen. They still teased each other but he sinced something underneath it, some unspoken tension. When Aji and Shu-Sen had to leave, to attend some offical report, Anakin worked up the nearve to ask Obi-Wan:

"Are you gonna marry her?"

They had given no indication that they were anything but friends... but the boy had figured it out.

Though supprised at how perceptive his apprentice was, he wouldn't avoid the question, as much he'd like to.

"We are, betrothed." The knight said with a catch in his voice. he knew Anakin's question would go in a direction he wasn't prepared to go.

"Then why don't you ever kiss her?"

How could he explain this to a nine year old? "It's complicated."

"Oh, that meens you don't want to talk about it."

"Were only in our second betrothal. We can't even be alone together."

"Oh, that's wierd."

There was more to it than Obi-Wan was letting on. "There are five betrothals all together."

"Well when can you kiss her?"

"What is your preoccupation with me kissing her?"

"Just curious."

"Well, it's been five years since our second betrothal..."

"Five years..."

"So anytinme now we could have the third one, that's got a kiss in it."

"Five years? You've been betrothed for five years and you havn't even kissed her?"

The knight was turning shades of red. How much should he tell the boy.

"Six years, the first betrothal is a year."

"Six years."

"Well if she's a knight within the year, we'll go to the fourth and then the last..."

The boy was dumbfounded. Six years and they hadn't even kissed. Little did he know the whole story... Seven years before a kiss led to something that got both of them disciplined and almost dismissed.

It was a time when the two of them were on the verge of being consitered adults amoung the jedi. They were almost eighteen. They had known each other for five years, and neaver thought of each other as anything but friends. When ever Qui-Gon and Aji had a mission together, as well as helping their masters, Obi-Wan and Shu-Sen paled around.

This particular time they were both at the temple. The two younger jedi were in Shu-Sen's chambers playing a game that worked on their skills in using the force. They had always done so in the past. This time it was different. Something rippled in the force. Both of them felt it. the game stoped...

He looked at her...

She looked at him...

He kissed her...

She kissed him...

they felt compelled in a way they never had before. They didn't need to speek, they knew what each other wanted before the other did. It was like the dance of two warriors in tune with the living force, but it was not the dance of battle. It was the dance of love.

Regardless of any code, or what their masters would think, they followed their compultions. They were only half undressed when the large shadow of Master Mikata loomed over them.

Both

15. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    What, no one's replied??? Jodiwent, this is truly excellent. You've captured Obi-Wan's character so perfectly!! More please!!

16. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, that was great! "...two of the shyest people..." Excellent ideas, with the six betrothals, and Mother Hweia, and especially the rigid moral code that you hint at, when so many other writers would have the Jedi jumping into bed at any time day or night. Keep up the good work!

17. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh that was sweet Jodiwent. Sad and sweet.

Kithera

18. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Just as I suspected! I find my lack of post disturbing. Site was down when I posted last night. re-do tonight.

19. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Lucky me I can get on the computer early today. To re-type what I lost last night.
    Later in the day, Obi-Wan and Anakin met up with Mikata and Zai again. THey all went to eat at a more informal dining area. That gave Aji a chance to tell one of the many stories of the jedi he had remembered over the four hundred and fifty years of his life.

"I will now tell you young people a story that will explaine why the panther was a good choice yeaterday." Mikata told them.

"It is also an example of why one should not judge where someone comes from." He directed to Anakin knowing of the boy's former life as a slave on Tatooine. "And why even a powerfull knight con not ignore the force when it directs their life in a direction they may not want it to go..."

Then he started his tale :

"Some people think the jedi ways are harsh. It used to be different, but it has been the way for thousands of years. We take an infant away from its family and raise them here in the temple. It is harder for the parents who give up the child. Even at a year of age the childs emotional ties are strong, some do not give them up.

This can lead to a very confused life for one who is sensitve to the force. If those around them do not understand they can see what others can not. To us it seems normal, it is how all but a handfull of us are raised.

Four times a year we search. The council lets the force guide them where to send the masters where to look for the future jedi. Knights are close to becoming masters hear the same speach from Master yoda year after year. I heard it over four hudred years ago...

'Matters not where they come from, what family they come from.' We all know this but Yoda reenforces the point. 'Matters how strong the force is with them.' He goes on to tell them what they should do to identify a suitable child.

This was so sixty years ago as well... When a knight called Mei-Kann Jinn was nearing the time of becoming a master."

This name got all of their attention. Obi-Wan especially, he had neaver heard that name from Qui-Gon...

"After the others had left, Master Yoda called her back. Mei-Kann was a dark skined human with hair the collor of red clay. She wore it in many braids held back as one.

All jedi are gracefull, but there was something extra stealth in her movements. That is why the masters called her 'Panther.'
    She had been the apprentice of my tenth apprentice Roinu."

Obi-Wan and Shu-Sen knew Roinu. He was a fox faced huminoid being. He had died a few years ago. Still this was a story they were neaver told.

"When she returned to Master Yoda she respectfully bowed and asked. 'Master have you changed your mind?'

'Relieve you, that would.' Yoda said raising his eye brows and ears the way he does. 'but changed my mind is not.' Inside Mei-Kann moaned a slight disapointment that Yoda hea exspected.

He wanted her to conciter working with young ones for a while. She wanted nothing to do with that.She did not like children, or so she thought. 'Doubt you my deciesion?'

'No Master, neaver.' This was true, she was a very obiediant knight. 'It's myself I doubt.'

'Neaver before yourself have you doubted.' This too was true, she was also always very sure of herself. To a point some would call a fault. It was not a fault, the force always guided her actions.

Mei-Kann told Yoda. 'I know my limits.'

'So sure are you?' He poked his narly finger at her. 'More to give the jedi have you than your strength and skills as a warrior.' Then he was silent for a moment. 'Know you well do I. More there is to becoming a master than fighting.'

'Great is your courage in defending those who need the help of the jedi. Great courage need you to over come your doubt in this matter.'

Mei-Kann thought Yoda mey have wanted her to become a jedi mother rather than a master. 'Spoken to mother Heiwa, I have..."

"Master I'm not going to...'

'Know I that! Lear something from the mothers even a knight can. Tomorrow go to her you will. For a few days from

20. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    The Next morning brauhght to full account Mei-Kann Jinn's dred of the duty Master Yoda had assigned her. She'd rather face an entire army than motehr Heiwa, the other jedi mothers, and their apprentices.

She woke early, she wanted to go to one of the training halls before entering Mother Heiwa's domaine. There were a few other knights waiting as another fought practice droid probes. As he fought others arrived to wait their turn. A group of young padawans were there to watch the knights.

When the number of probes reached twelve the first knight was stuck. he bowed and the next approached. He called for nine and fought up to eighteen probes.

When it was Mei-Kann's turn, without missing a beat, or thinking about the pride of the other knights, she called for twenty probes. It got everyone's attention. She didn't want to,it would not be the first time. A few who did not know her wispered "Show off." Those who knew her, knew better. Twenty probes didn't even give her a hard time.

All her life she had done things early and extreme. She always seemed to be on the verge of something.

She was so focused on the probes, she didn't notice the crowd gathering as the number rose to twenty-nine. Mei-Kann continued to evade the laser bolts and sliced a few before geting struck. She droped to the floor drenched in sweat and wiped her face.

As she looked up to take a breath, she saw the silent amaze faces. At first they remained silent. Mei-Kann wondered if the silence was a dissaproval of such a display of 'showing off.' In the next moment padawans and knights alike cheered and howled their approval. She smiled a little embarassed. She stood and bowed to the master. She left to clean up and change for her day with the jedi mothers.

When Mei-Kann was ready to go to 'the Eagrey' (eagles nest), the creche' where the very young children under lived under Mother Heiwa's rule, not one thread of her robes or strand of hair was out of place. She wanted to represent the knights and Master Yoda in the best light.

The eagrey, deep in the heart of the temple, is the safest place in the temple. Safe for keeping the young ones away from ememies of the jedi. The sith war was almost four thousand years ago and their last uprising under Darth Bane was ended over a thousand years ago... still Obi-Wan's encounter with a sith, shows it is wise to take no chances.

The jedi mothers were suprised to see a knight there, especialy one as imposing as Mei-Kann. A line of mothers rose to greet the knight, and block the way to the children instinctively.

'How may we be of assistance Jedi Knight?' one of them asked formally.

'Jedi Mothers, I am Mei-Kann Jinn. Master Yoda has sent me." She respectivly bowed. "Mother Heiwa is expecting me.'

'I will take you to her.' Another said beconing the knight to follow . They passed groups of jedi mothers with children of all speices around the age of three to five and went to an area where even younger ones were being cared for.

Above them on a balcony was Mother Heiwa. Mei-Kann like all the other jedi knew her well. The great jedi mother waited as they accended the stairs.

'Ahh... Mei-Kann.' Heiwa said as the knight bowed. 'Our fledgeling returns.'

It had been twenty-three years since she was one of Heiwa's -fledgelings-, but all the jedi are -her's.- 'Master Yoda tells me, you will soon be a master yourself, and will seek for new jedi.' The knight nodded. 'Yet he feels you need to be more in tune with the young ones.'

'Yes Mother Heiwa."

The bird woman streached out her feathered arms from under her robes, reading Mei-Kann's thoughts and feelings. 'So hard still... No place for weakness.' Heiwa folded her arms. 'How can one so in touch withthe force be so unyeilding? I hope you can learn something in the days ahead.'

Mei-Kann nodded, she wouldn't lie and speek even a polite 'I hope so.' She respected Mother Heiwa, because she did what she felt she could not. The thought of being around children ws not a thrilling one.

'Your old friend Jihi will guide you.' From a line standing behind the great mother a yo

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Keep it up!

22. Jedi Windu

Jedi Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Up, up and away.

23. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Remember Aji Mikata is telling this story.
    "The next day the knight returned to the eagrey. The day was just about the same as the day before. In the afternoon one of the choldren had been asked to go get something that was needed. As he ran back he fell on a small step he had forgot about.

The three adults heard a loud snap. He had broken his arm. They rushed to th echild. Mei-Kann being the closet picked him up.

'Embrace the pain.' She told him, the jedi way.

'He's too young.' Kani said. 'He doesn't understand, that yet. All to soon the knights will get a hold of him, and he will.'

They gave each other looks.

'Of course, I'll take it.' The young knight reached her hand over the wound and the boy stoped crying.

'What are you doing?'

'Don't they teach you that?'

'We're not healers.'

'I didn't heal him... though I could. I took his pain.'

'I'll take him to the healers.'

Kani took the child from Mei-Kann who now had to concentrate on geting rid of the pain she hsd taken from the boy. She'd have to meditate for a while.

That same day Yoda summoned Mei-Kann to find out how things were progressing. He would tell me (Mikata, telling story) after, that her mind wondered to me and my eleventh apprentice JeeKee. She had been our ally on many missions, snd we were nagotiating between two fuding spacer clans. She thought she should have been with us instead of -baby sitting.-

'Back to that soon enough you will get.' Yoda told her. 'About what yo are learning now think!'

'How much longer?'

'When truely respect you can what the jedi mothers do.'

'I do, but I could neaver give up my...'

'worried you are. Do not. A great jedi master named Jinn I have forseen. To many worlds, bring peace, that one will.'

'Then why do you push me on the mothers?'

'Not I, the force. Something you must learn is here.'

He nodded, she bowed. She would spend amother day with the mothers.

There is a garden at the gate of our temple... one of the few places where anything of the original Coruscant remains. That is where Jihi's group would spend the next morning. They were to observe the plants in the garden.

The jedi mothers and her apprentice showed them how to feel the force flowing through the plants. They let the children wonder for an hour. Then Jihi gathered them again.

'Do you think you could handle two of these fierce creatures?' Jihi asked Mei-Kann who smiled and nodded. 'Yoge, Kosei.' The jedi mother called and two of the children steped forward. 'Show Mei-Kann where you felt the force adn the knight may give you some other insights.'

The two children grabed either hand from under the knight's robes an dled her to a large tree. At first she thought -big mistake-, a big tree doesn't always mean big force. They suprised her by focusing on the lichens growing at its base.

'Very good.' She praised them. 'This si a very healing plant. If you are cut and there are no med-supplies you can use this to stop it bleading, and keep it clean.'

The children went around the tree pointing out other spots where the force was strong. Under one spot they found a worm. One of them jumped back and squeeled while the other picked it up.

'Put that back.' The knight gently scolded. 'You wouldn't want any one picking you up like that.'

'Bye, bye worm.' THe child said putting it back in the dirt.

"You must respect all life, even that timy thing.'

'But, if I was stranded and starving I'd have to eat him.'

'Yuck!' The other one said.

'If it were necisarry.' The knight said trying not to loose her breakfast. 'But I doubt it.'

The children continued to look around. The whole time they had been there Mei-Kann couldn't help feeling a wery strong presence in the force. It was not in the garden, but beyond the high walls, beyond the gate.

Then she heard it, under the din of the speeders and shuttles of the city : A human infant's cry. -How could that be?-

'Wait children, stay here..' She listened again. She stealthly made her way t

24. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    And yet another great post from the keyboard of Jodiwent! I like the way Mei-Kann has difficulties dealing with children, and makes mistakes, or at least does things differently than the mothers. And then she goes and rescues what I hope will grow up to be Qui-Gon, and force-bonds to him! Excellent idea! Good learning experience for her! Keep writing, Jodiwent, you're doing great!

25. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Aji's story continued :

"Instead of joining me on a mission, or studying to become a master, Mei-Kann Jinn, jedi knight, bold warrior, was learning how to take care of a human infant. After a week Master Yoda came to see them again.

'Know you what you need to care for the child?' He asked. She noded. 'Go to Morobah you will. While the child you care for, meditate on your future as a jedi master you will.'

'Morobah?' She asked. 'It's deserted.'

Quiet it is there. For many years the jedi gone there they have, in times of confusion, to think. One of the ancient outposts it is.'

Mei-Kann was allowed to take a small personal transport to the remote planet of Morobah. The abandoned wooden temple was in a forest neer a river that flowed to a rocky shore of an ocean. It was a peacefull place where Mei-Kann could be in tune with the living force uniterupted.

The knight moved her suplies into the ancent temple. Each day the jedi explored different parts of the planet with the baby in tow. One day in the first month that they were there, mei-Kann returned to the old temple to find that they were not alone. things were missing.

The day after that she searched to see if she could find the culprit. She found a cave where along with her missing things, there were other things hoarded. the resident of the cave was however not to be found. The jed collected her things and returned to find, the cave's occupant had been back to the temple, and stollen more things.

'Just great.'

The jedi decieded to keep everything locked up in the ship. She couldn't afford to loose any of the supplies, at least for another month. They had arranged that someone would drop off suppies every two months. that someone was myself and Jeekee.

The first drop off was fairly routine. At night Mei-Kann lit a fire and we told her the news from Coruscant.

My apprentice at that time was fiveteen. Even for his young age he was very in tune with the living force. he watched Mei-Kann holding the child, who was now two months old.

'I wonder what he'll be like?' He asked. 'If you are his master he will be a strong jedi.'

'I'm glad you think so.' Mei-Kann told him. 'Even now his alertness and reactions to things are quick, there is no doubt, he has the way.'

'Something's coming.'

'I know.'

We all had senced something approaching. Knowing of the pilfering visitor, we all over reacted, and put our hands to our sabers. When we saw what it was only Jeekee took his out and ignighted it. When he realized what it was he was embarased. It was a bahkai.

Bahkai are tottaly harmless creatures who only stand a foot and a half, but their legs are most of their hight. Their arms are longer than the rest of its body. All we could see was a black and white blurr run and grab a hydro spanner we had left out.

'Well, there's your thief.' I said.

None of us attempted to find it. If the brazen creature wanted it that much... We'd let him have it. We just made sure that everything elce was secured. The next day we left Mei-Kann and the baby alone again. Alone except for the bahkai.

A week later the bahkai did something that would truly aggrivate Mei-Kann. Somehow it got into one of the ship's cargo holds and in the process of stealing things opened the containers with the infant's formula capsules. They fell on wet ground and were ruined.

The jedi mothers had told the knight that there was a way she could feed the child if it became necisary. She neaver dreamed she'd have to follow their advice. She had made sure to bring double the amount of formula capsules needed just to avoid it. Now it didn't matter, none of them were salvageable.

It was the last thing she wanted to do but, there was no other choice. She couldn't let the baby starve. Grudgingly she found her med kit and injected herself with the hormone concoction the jedi mothers had told her would, along with intence meditation, fool her body into thinking she was the infants mother. So she could feed it as a real mother could.

It would take at least a day to see if it worked. -What if it doesn't work?- Mei-Kann thou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.