main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series To the Pain! TCW Seasons 1-4 Best Episode Poll (np: S1)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 8, 2013.

?

Best Episode of Season 1

1. Ambush (S01E01)

2.0%
  2. Shadow of Malevolence (S01E03)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rookiees (S01E05)

26.5%
  4. Cloak of Darkness (S01E09)

12.2%
  5. Lair of Grievous (S01E10)

14.3%
  6. Jedi Crash! (S01E13)

2.0%
  7. Trespass (S01E15)

12.2%
  8. Innocents of Ryloth (S01E20)

12.2%
  9. Hostage Crisis (S01E22)

14.3%
  10. Other

4.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Since I'm leaving soon, and thinking about the various episode ratings and polls we've done over the years, I thought it would be fun to do a Season 1 through 4 mega-poll to determine the Greatest TCW Episode Evar.

We'll do a poll for each of the Seasons, take the top 2 from each Season, along with two "wild cards" which will probably be the highest-voted 3rd place episodes.

I have chosen what I feel are 9 of the best Season 1 episodes, and left one for "Other" if you like another episode in there. If you vote "Other", definitely tell us which episode you wanted.

We have had problems with people voting with socks before and I would hope that wouldn't happen again. One vote per WAC member (per poll).

Here we go!

07jonesj likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cloak of Darkness is win----- oh wait that's just me. Er. Carry on. Didn't realize you just put this up. :p

Nice retrospective poll idea....

Darth_Cronos and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Really hard deciding between "Cloak of Darkness" and "Trespass", but I've ultimately gone with "Trespass".

It has amazing animation, with Orto Plutonia being based upon old McQuarrie art of Hoth. Anakin and Obi-Wan got snowsuits and the clones became snowtroopers.

Enjoyed Anakin and Obi-Wan's roles as protectors of the peace, as opposed to their usual "soldier" role. It's an interesting contrast to what we usually see, and demonstrates just how much Palpatine has twisted them. The Talz were awesome, and delivered some of the most brutal combat in The Clone Wars up until that point.

Chairman Chi Cho succeeded in making me hate him, and his death is just... just awesome. Plus Rex gets to be a badass. Riyo Chuchi was also an interesting character, and I love that the snow slows to a steady fall as Riyo puts the pike into the ground, as a symbol of peace.

I prefer the longer arcs in this show, but "Trespass" is the perfect example of how to tell a story in a mere 22 minutes.

EDIT: You do realise you can never leave Garth, right? [face_skull]

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Gotta love me some Hostage Crisis. It made Cad Bane my favorite character, albeit briefly, until I realized that I still liked Palpatine (and some others) better :p

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Lair of Grievous hands down. Until Massacre, this episode was PERFECTION for me. It was and still is something I consider a standard for a great TCW episode. A few things that make it amazing:

- Vassek is so stunning visually, it is the perfect local for a villain like Grievous. It has a mystic/creepy/scary feel of an ancient tomb.
    - The characters are all awesome and just for 22 minutes you get more out of them than most giant arcs these days. Kit Fisto, Grievous and the Doctor make this episode so fun to watch cause they play off each other so well.
    - Backstory and home of Grievous are explored, even if Vassek is not his birth home.
    - The music is great and gives this episode a nice both epic story feel and yet a horror movie vide.
    - The episode adds one of the best creature IMO to the SW universe aka Gor the Rogwart.
    - The moral is still one of the best on the show.
    - Perfect lines from everybody.
    and so on and so on.

6. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm gonna have to vote for Lair of Grievous even though I hated that stupid back story they made up for him. But it still was the best followed by rookies.

7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    You prefer his EU backstory?

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I voted for Rookies, but it was close, season 1 had a lot of good ones.

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Trespass.

Good use of created-for-TCW characters, the "villains" are not who one might think, Anakin and Obi-Wan acting as peacekeepers...this is still one of my fav episodes of the entire show.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Why'd you put 'other' ? That can't win and move on.

Lair features fantastic villainy, but gives Grievous an incredibly stupid background far inferior to his EU background. Cloak has my girl, but also Ahsoka slobber.

Can't really find any flaws in Rookies, so that's my choice.

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Season One is full of awesome... it is harder to choose than with later seasons. For me each episode is a classic in its own way.

That was a great one. Everything felt right in the episode and visuals still hold up to this day. I mean look at that snow and landscape...

12. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Some tough choices, but Cloak of Darkness gets my vote.

13. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I voted for Rookies because its in The Clone Wars AND IT HAD CLONES IN IT!!! (Predominantly, mind you) I wish we had more just clones episodes with a Jedi officer, or regular officer and no lightsabers in an episode!!

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Lair of Grievous! The best episode of TCW ever! :D

15. Darth_Cronos

Darth_Cronos Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2009
    Cloak of Darkness for the WIN!=D=

Barriss_Coffee uve got an awsome pic two of my favorite kid shows!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Bombad Jedi

So everyone will be allowed to vote for their favorite.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    [face_frustrated]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Implies the man who questions others for liking Grievous's original backstory over the TCW version.....

Rookies for me. Remember when Commando droids were intimidating and didn't get tripped by twerps like Lux?

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But Lux is scary. He's the GFFA equivalent of Justin Bieber.

20. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Man, those were some tough choices. I had to go with Lair of Grievous because it explored the ways in which the war is corrupting Jedi. Trespass and Jedi Crash are close seconds.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    :(
    I just like the fact that The Clone Wars version makes Grievous the one to make all his choices. He's the one who chose to have the cybernetics. He's the one who kept "upgrading" himself to be able to defeat Jedi. It makes him scarier, just look at how driven he is to taking down the Jedi! The EU puts a lot of the blame on Dooku for shooting him down. :p

I agree with the Commando droids. They were embarrassing in the Onderon arc.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I now resume my normal responsibility of reminding the LACWAC collective that per the Lair of Grievous featurette on the DVD, Filoni has explicitly described how Lair of Grievous was done in such a way that his EU back-story is still optional.

There's also the featurette from the official site which is exclusively devoted to the issue:
    http://starwars.com/watch/lairgrievous_commentary.html

And yeah, I can't choose between literally half the list, or at least four of them.

23. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I had to go for Trespass. The visuals were stunning, the "villains" were with the Republic, Senator Riyo Chuchi was amazing, and the Jedi were fulfilling their roles as peacekeepers and negotiators for once.

24. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    The only reason I didn't pick Trespass is because of the endless overuse of the word "Sovereignty", like it was the word of the day on Sesame Street.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, but Dave Filoni is wrong.

He can say otherwise as much as he wants, he can say that it's not definitive, that it's a different point of view and whatever other equivocations he can come up with, but that doesn't make it so. It's the same nonsense, the same bill of goods that LFL has been selling EU fans for years now and I'm not buying it.

I would prefer it if they just came out and said "We changed Grievous, we've altered the deal, pray we don't alter it any further".

DavidIX and Robimus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.