CT To this day, does anyone find Palpatine's death ironic and hilarious?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Graves101, May 9, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Graves101 Jedi Master

star 1
    The most powerful Sith Lord in galactic history, one of the greatest lightsaber duelists of all time, one of the most powerful force users of all time....dies by getting simply lifted up by a weak, nearly dead old man, and thrown into a hole.
  2. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    To be fair, Vader was 45 or so(not an old man), not really weak except for having his robotic hand chopped off(I can see arguing lifting Palps up by one robotic hand and a stump), and wasn't nearly dead until getting zapped by Palps' lightning.
  3. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    In a movie that introduces us to Zero Dark Thirty Teddy Bears, proclaims said teddy bears' language includes the word 'BOOOOOM!', and plays Boba Fett's death for laughs by having him go to his (presumed) death flapping his arms and screaming like something out of a Road Runner cartoon?

A series that, for an encore, in its first episode descends to fart jokes and literally stepping in crap?

No, Palpatine's death is high drama by comparison. :D
    Last edited by Saintheart, May 10, 2013
  4. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I don't find it hilarious at all. That poor old man who selflessly spent his life attempting to restore order to a corrupt and chaotic society - betrayed and murdered by his right hand man who had clearly been brainwashed by a religious cult as a child. The tragedy is compounded by the remaining members of the cult using Vader's own son to give the trigger which would activate the order implanted in him at a young age ("Father, please").

Palpatine didn't even have the chance to properly utter, "Et tu, Vader...?"
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, May 10, 2013
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    He's probably about the only movie character whose death I actively cheered at in my younger days. They just piled on the completely unsympathetic with ROTJ Palpatine and I honestly hated him when I was younger.

You don't trash talk Darth Vader and expect me to feel bad about you dying, I guess :p
    Last edited by DarthBoba, May 10, 2013
    Darth_Pevra and eht13 like this.
  6. SlashMan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    For the first time in while, Anakin had a new reason to live. It wasn't like destroying the Emperor was an easy task, though. Despite taking him by surprise, the lightning he absorbed almost killed him right there.

I'm sure there are other ways Vader could have dispatched of him, but throwing him down an endless chasm seems like the most dramatic and iconic.
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Kenneth Morgan Force Ghost

star 3
    I'll go along with that. Whenever I've seen ROTJ in a theater, Palpatine's death is always greeted with cheers and shouts of "YES!!!!".
  8. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Seeing that the Emperor is so focused on killing Luke that he completely ignores what is happening with Vader more or less.

The Emperor said some time ago that Vader couldn't come back from the Dark Side and what happened? Anakin Slywalkert came back.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."
  9. Ambervikings91 Jedi Master

star 2
  10. gezvader28 Force Ghost

star 4
    It could've been done better . More of a struggle etc.
  11. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    I loved the irony that Palpatine forsaw a complete overhaul in the Galactic Government but failed to forsee that a parent would die to save her/his offspring.
  12. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Wasnt the fact he was defeated by two of his greatest projects (Death Star, Vader) the whole point??.....good had to prevail over evil and a long drawn out battle wasnt needed at that point of the story, the war was already won
  13. clone3131 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't get why Palps didn't build Vaders suit with an Order 99 or something that prevented Vader from killing or harming Palps.

-C
    Emperor Von Schweetz likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    We see that Sidious/Palpatine's Force Lightning did irreparable damage to the suit.

Anakin knows in the end that he's going to die simply because the suit is too badly damaged to be fixed and he won't live long enough to be taken somewhere high tech enough for him to be saved.
  15. clone3131 Force Ghost

star 4

What I meant was that why did Palaptine build a fail-safe into Vader like he did the clones - one that prevented Vader from harming Palpatine. So when Vader picks up Palpatine - Palpatine could yell "ORDER 99!" and Vader would stop.

-C
  16. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    Vader would not be a Sith in that case.
    The Galactic Civil War would have continued as long as Palpatine lived.
  17. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Vader had already said that Palpatine had fore-seen that Luke would be the one to over throw him....so surely the Emperor knew the war was over as soon as Luke opposed him
  18. Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Master

star 1
    I actually Palpatine's death iconic and vicarious.
    VadersLaMent and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. Skelter Jedi Master

star 1
    Palpatine deserved a better death. Being thrown over a railing is major let-down. The guy beat Yoda in a duel, destroyed the Jedi, took over the galalxy, destroyed planets on a whim..Him being thrown over a rail is bleh..
  20. Darth Dominikkus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think it was a perfect fulfillment of the Prophesy of the Chosen One. I mean, Vader redeems himself and sacrifices himself for his son after all of these years of trying to get him to go through the same torment of the Dark Side that he went through. Sure, Palps' death was a little pathetic seeing his title, but it was an incredible moment in time.
  21. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]=D=[face_laugh]
  22. Force Smuggler Force Ghost

star 5
    I know their deaths occur differently but Maul and Palpatine both fall down a shaft. Maul was cut in half and fell down and Palpatine was thrown down the shaft. Overkill much?
  23. Darth_Pevra Chosen One

star 5
    I think Vader had his suit thoroughly checked for that kind of surprise. He is not stupid.
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Even if Palpatine did it would only stop Vader/Anakin psychically he would still be able to use the Force.
  25. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    Whether we like it or not, the seemingly weak overcome the seemingly invincible often in SW if their will is strong enough. Jar jar, Ewoks, Luke v Death Star. It's an ongoing theme. Execution wise... perhaps it could've been done better.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face