main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To those who have JA books on hand...edit: one more little question.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by jacen200015, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    When Obi-Wan first meets up with Xanatos (or perhaps in other confrontations), does Xanatos offer Obi-Wan something? if so, can you quote what Xanatos said and Obi-Wan's response?

That will be most helpfull. Thank You.

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Which book was that in?

3. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    It's in book 2, but I can't remember verbatim, it was something like I'll teach you... cant' remember though.

4. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003

[Obi-Wan notices someone approaching]

Then he realized it was a stranger in a shiny black cape.

"Who are you?" he asked. He felt the uneasy ripple of something dark in the Force.

"A friend," the hooded figure said. "Someone who was once just like you." He threw off the hood. HIs blue gaze was warm and friendly. "I used to be his apprentice, too."

"Qui-Gon's?" Obi-Wan asked suspiciously. "I"m not really his Padawan. And everyone says his Padawan died."

"Is that what they say?" the man asked. "Yet here I am. What else do they say?"

"That Qui-Gon's Padawan disgraced the Jedi," Obi-Wan said. "And betrayed Qui-Gon."

The man's eyes burned blue fire. "Is that Qui-Gon's story?" Then the hard lines of his face relaxed. "I was his Padawan. So I know what you go through every day, Obi-Wan Kenobi. I know what you wait for. His approval. His trust. But he keeps both from you. He keeps a skin of ice around himself. The more you try to please him, the farther away he goes."

Obi-Wan said nothing. The words seemed to have come from his own heart. At his worst moments, it was exactly what he thought.

Xanatos looked compassionately at the boy. "Yoda praises him. The Galactic Senate depends on him. Everyone vies to be his apprentice. But he is the worst kind of Master. He denies you his trust. Yet he demands everything."

Obi-Wan heard the words as if he were in a trance. How true it is, he thought. Deep anger sittred, anger that lay dormant inside him. He feared his anger more than any enemy.

"I am Xanatos," the man said. "Did he ever mention me to you?"

Obi-Wan shook his head.

Xanatos gave a sad, rueful smile. "No," he said softly. "He would not. It's up to me to tell you what he did to me. How he built me up, kept me by his side, always with the promise that I would advance. Yet in the end, he broke every promise. It will happen to you, too, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Could it be true? Could Qui-Gon's coolness hide the seeds of betrayal? Obi-Wan had felt the chill of Qui-Gon's reserve, but he always assumed it was because Qui-Gon hadn't accepted him. Did Qui-Gon's secrecy hide evil, or good?

"Why are you telling me this?" Obi-Wan asked warily.

"To warn you," Xanatos said. "That's what I came. You --" He stopped suddenly. He held up a hand. "Someone is coming," he whispered.

[a fight breaks out between Offworld security and Xanatos and Obi-Wan is knocked out]

5. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Ok I found it. Obi-Wan sees a stranger in a shiny black cape and asks "who are you?" and Xanatos replies "A friend. Someone who was just like you." He goes on to talk about being Qui-Gon's apprentice. Obi-Wan talks about eveyone saying that the former apprentice disgraced the Jedi and betrayed Qui-Gon and that he died. Xanatos starts talking to Obi-Wan about how he knows what he's going through. How he waits for Qui-Gon's approval and trust but he keeps both from him. "He keeps a skin of ice around himself. The more you try to please him, the farther away he goes." He calls him the Worst kind of master. For denying trust but demanding everything of Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan keeps thinking how true a lot of this is and how he's thought some of these things. Xanatos tells him that in the end Qui-Gon will break all his promises. Obi-Wan asks why he's telling him all this and Xanatos says to warn him. Then they have to fight off some attackers and Obi-Wan gets knocked unconscious.

Edit: /\ Gah you beat me. ;)

6. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    is there anywhere else where Xanatos speaks to Obi (trying to bring him to his side)? i forget.

7. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    At the end of JA #2, there's a saber fight, and Xanatos calls Obi-Wan clumsy. :p

In Book 7 (Captive Temple), he doesn't speak to Obi directly, from what I can tell. When Qui and Obi catch up to Bruck and Xanatos trying to steal the vertex, Obi-Wan says - playing along with their plan - that he wants to charge Xanatos. Xanatos replies, "The boy is ruthless, Qui-Gon ... did he learn this from you?"

In Book 8, Xanatos doesn't seem to try to bring Obi to his side as much as mess with his head for the pleasure of it. Xanatos speaks to Obi and Qui when they've been captured and charged with crimes, "...It also helped that a grieving father was in the courtoom, distraught at the death of his son at hands of your accomplice ... Poor Bruck. I always thought he just needed a little push to succeed. How was I to know that Obi-Wan Kenobi would deliver it?" Xanatos raised one hand and then slapped it into his palm with a sharp crack. It was eerily close to the crack of Bruck's head hitting the rocks below the waterfall.

At the end of the book, in the final fight scene, Xanatos says to Obi-Wan, "The noble Jedi try to pretend they only come for justice when actually they come for blood. Remember, Obi-Wan? You took off after a thirteen-year-old boy and then he turned up dead. Do you remember the look in Bruck's eyes when you killed him? Are you trying to tell yourself that you're sorry your rival is dead? Admit the feeling in your heart. Admit your gladness! Admit your thirst for revenge." [...] "I see my words have touched you, Obi-Wan," Xanatos said in the silky, insinuating tone he used to manipulate those around him. "Can it be because I'm right?"

"No, Xanatos," Obi-Wan said. "I grieve for a life lost. And I thank all who taught me for my grief. It does not make me weak. It makes me strong."

8. KILIK

KILIK Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Could some tell me if Xanatos dies and how and when. PLEASE HELP ME!

9. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Dives into a pit of acid in book 8.

But most of us prefer to think that it was a portal to a pleasure planet.

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Like Birdy says, he dives into a pool of acid at the Sacred Pools of Telos. He did it to avoid capture by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan after he had tried to kill them and mine the planet for its minerals.

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    dianethx, Xannie did not die. He lived with a melted face and grossed out all the naughty padawans. :D

12. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    i used to love the Jedi Aprentice series, but which one is book eight, i don't think i have that one. Also, if what they said above this is true, then wouldn't he have survived. if he was trying to escape Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon then why would he jump in if he knew he would die?

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Brant, they are trying to be amusing but the fact of the matter, according to book 8 (, Xanatos dies from jumping into a pool of acid. He knew he couldn't escape. Qui and Obi were right there and he knew he couldn't win. So rather than being taken alive, he taunted Qui-Gon in order to get him to feel guilty about driving Xan to suicide and then he jumped in.

14. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Oh, sorry. I haven't read that book, so i was just basing it off the answers already given. Thanks for filling me in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.