main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series To you, what does Mortis symbolize?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by enigmaticjedi, Apr 15, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    What does it symbolize to you?
    To me, Mortis symbolizes the internal and external influences of the chosen one.

The Son:
    -- External Influence = Palpatine
    -- Internal Influence = Vader (Anakin's dark side)

The Daughter:
    -- External Influence = Padme
    -- Internal Influence = Anakin's light side

The Father = Anakin Overall

Ahsoka = The Jedi

Obi-Wan = Obi-Wan

When The Son kills The Daughter accidentally:
    -- The Son cries "Why?!!!" and remarks "You were the only one I truly loved."
    -- This event foreshadows when Vader will force-choke Padme.

When The Daughter's life force is passed onto Ahsoka:
    -- Ahsoka's death = Foreshadow's the end of the Old Jedi Order due to Order 66 of which both Sidious and Vader were a part
    -- The Daughter giving life to Ahsoka = Foreshadows the birth of Luke (and Leia), the last of the Jedi and the one who could still see the good in Anakin

When The Father finally confronts The Son in the end:
    -- Father sacrificing himself: Foreshadows when Anakin chooses to risk his life to save Luke
    -- Son being stabbed: Foreshadows when Anakin will kill Sidious and when Anakin kills Vader by choosing the side of good again

When Ahsoka disables the ship so The Son and Anakin can't escape
    -- Foreshadows how Luke's belief that Anakin could be redeemed prevented Palpatine from fully controlling him
    -- When The Son leaves and the Father finds Anakin: Foreshadows the contemplation Anakin/Vader has when Palaptine is trying to kill Luke

When The Son hunts for the dagger to try to kill the Father
    -- The Father knows The Son has become more powerful than him: Foreshadows when Anakin's dark side changes him into Darth Vader: more machine now than man, twisted and evil
    -- However, although the Father is weaker, he is still alive: Foreshadows Luke's line "The Emperor hasn't driven it (good) from you fully." and Padme's line "There is still good in him"

When The Son plots in the 2nd episode and 3rd episode
    -- Represents how Sidious is plunging the Galaxy into the dark side with the Clone Wars
    -- Foreshadows how Sidious blurs the lines between good and evil with Anakin in ROTS "Good is a point of view" "All who gain power are afraid to lose it, even the Jedi" "I was right; the Jedi are taking over!" "Join me and save your wife from certain death."

When Obi-Wan tries to give Anakin the dagger
    -- His efforts to help Anakin are overshadowed by the perceived alienation of the Jedi Order (Ahsoka); he feels they don't trust him (which they don't, because he hadn't fully earned it either but that's a whole other topic)

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Obi Wan =Obi Wan

I wanna like this more then once.

3. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011

Give or take a few things, this was probably the most accurate to the developer's intent on making this arc. It all foreshadows the struggles of the force users from Revenge of the Sith onward until Return of the Jedi, Anakin's journey in particular. The Father, the Daughter, and The Son are all aspects of his character, or as you suggest, aspects of external persons that are important in Anakin's life. The Father is the most direct representation of Anakin, in that the Father shows that Anakin's destiny is to bring balance to the force, which does ultimately involve destroying the Dark Side after the Dark nearly destroys the light. The discrepancy between Lucas saying the Sith needed to be destroyed and the Father telling Anakin that balance means literal balance between good and evil, dark and light is not a discrepancy so much as the beginning of a conundrum that is solved in the third episode, namely that the Dark Side is too unwieldy to be allowed to exist. The delicate balance is ideal, as it means peace, but the Dark does not want peace. It wants chaos and war. Thus, because of its nature it must be destroyed to allow true peace to continue.

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I always think that the Son's throne room reminds of Dooku's one on Serenno. So the Son shows aspects of almost every Sith lord in the saga. He sounds like Palpatine in Anakin's dream, quotes Maul's lines from the future to Ahsoka, lives in Dooku's castle, looks a bit like the Inquisitor, appears as Anakin/Vader in the dream, sounds a bit like Starkiller...

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

http://www.adriennewilkinson.com/media/articles/femmeforce/femmeforce.html

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/03/16/star-wars-clone-wars-darth-maul-sam-witwer/4

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Mortis represents death to me. Death of good writing, and the death of my interest in the show.

7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Death is only the beginning.

8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well it was very Star Trekish and Twlight Zoneish for sure. I didnt mind the weird factor but I think not knowing the original storyline and not having all the cut material does not help.

One thing, and there was a few actually in the entire arc, that really annoyed me was that the Son was brought back to the good side but then the Father kills him(but uses Anakin to do it as the backstabber ) in an embrace of betrayal. So there’s a reversal of good and evil with that. Is the moral good as dumb as bad here?! I have no idea what to make of it, that didnt sit well with me. Would've made more sense if The Son took over Mortis and oversaw it like say, the Grail Knight, but instead they're all dead and Anakin and friends are all magically back in space. Those three are apparently overlords to begin with, and they wanted Anakin to remain there basically serving out this kinda function but holding those children in bondage as they play tug of war. In order for Mortis to find balance it looked like they all just needed to die, there didnt seem to be a need for Anakin or The Father just wanted to look at this being and created all this as a ruse for amusement. Mortis seems interdimensional , acting like a Bermuda triangle device, but its never revealed if these 3 characters were real immortals or simply manifestation of the Force created by this monolith which could've been a giant Sith Holocron or burial chamber that was launched into Space in a Stargate-like Pyramid ship. Anakin and friends wake up in the end, as if no time past, so what was with that, you had Rex on the otherside trying to teach them so he was not effected only those three.

The Son and Daughter looked to have stopped aging while The Father was old and apparently nearing the end of his natural life in a Yoda like fashion but apparently they're so powerful yet even he alone was not able to turn into a Spirit. for that we need the Force Priestess(was she the Mother? and not say Talzin or Abeloth like in the EU). The 2,000 (+) year old Jedi distress is basically the only hint of their age we get.

____

Havent really came across much on Mortis for a while:

- Troy Denning

http://star-wars.suvudu.com/2012/03...nning-author-fate-of-the-jedi-apocalypse.html

http://clubjade.net/?p=38616

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Assassin assassinated much of my interest in the show before then but...yeah.

There is always the option of showing a clip of Anakin, the Son and the Well of the Dark Side and adding "Drink responsibly."

So...Mortis represents beer commercial potential?

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You know had the book not been legends it would be great stuff, but now who knows what Mortis is and to be honest I don't want to find out. I think its time to move forward and tell different stories that don't psycho babble the brain into is father a thanos like or galactus type superpower? or some metaphor.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka decided to experiment with death sticks, just to see what they did. Mortis was the result.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  13. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I didn't like those episodes. I don't buy into the ying-yang balance philosophy thing.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't understand why everyone hates Mortis it is not that bad.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    something Light Side something Dark Side something symbols something prophecy

yawn

*waits for it*

'But that's what Star Wars is about!'

That's not why I like Star Wars.

*waits for it*

'Well maybe you don't really like Star Wars then!'

[face_plain]

Anyway...

I can only speak for myself. Here you go.

cwustudent and jabberwalkie like this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I appreciated its mythological aspects and shadings but it did not answer anything and was like the rest of TCW, very fatalist in nature. The Mortis family was to have been mentioned in the season 6 Yoda arc where the Force Priestess was to have claimed the Mortis family were wrong and their ideas were heretical or something like this but it was cut out. I liked the Yoda arcs for same reasons but did not like for the same reasons as well. I'm somewhere in the middle.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    "Oh man, I turn to the Dark Side in the future? That's horrible! I best just, erm, turn to the Dark Side right now to stop that from happening!"

18. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Anakin: "Oh if only you can bring people back to life! I would be able to spend time with my mother again and stop whining about her death! And if my wife dies I won't have to worry! I can even bring Qui Gon back!"
    Force: "You can bring one person back to life now!"
    Anakin: "LOL JK my bratty padawan is more important and special than those idiots."

19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    He can only bring Ahsoka back using the Daughter's life force. She is incredibly powerful with the force, so her energy can revive Ahsoka. But all of the Ones died, so Anakin can't use that method ever again. And he would need to find the person he wants to revive before one of the... Ones dies.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  20. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    So theoretically if someone is strong enough they can bring people back to life. That's a pointless and astoundingly stupid plot device. What exactly does its introduction into Star Wars serve (other than giving more specialness to Filoni's favourite pet)?

21. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    The Ones were very powerful and did things with the force that...well it was LOTR style with the Father and the wings to fly and the son and daughter changing forms to fly in the air and all that, but Mother Talzoin was also very powerful capabe of doing things that I thought rivaled anything from Mortis

Mother_Talzin likes this.
  22. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Hey wait a minute I got a good one. Who would win between Thanos, Galactus, and Hulk vs Father, Daughter and Son and just for the heck of it throw in Talzoin to help out the family against the Marvel powerhouses, and we will let the battle take place in mortis. There enjoy

23. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I believe Talzin, the Great Mother, was part of the Mortis family structure of The Ones. I think Talzin and Abeloth are one in the same, and that she can and will appear again in some form (as Sidious said, she is ancient).

darskpine10 likes this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I will be completely honest....I hated that arc.

25. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    The embodiment of the eternal struggle between light and dark, life and death...

whostheBossk likes this.