main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series To you, what does Mortis symbolize?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by enigmaticjedi, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I honestly think Mortis was just one weird force vision/dream shared by Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka all at once. If one thinks about it the arc obviously foreshadows what will happen to all three of them:

1. Anakin turning to the dark side.
    2. Ahsoka leaving her master. (Remember when the Son tried to convince her to forget about Anakin when he disguised himself as that rodent creature?)
    3. Obi-Wan facing Anakin near lava ala Mustafar.

The arc's end shows that the three of them are waking up. That adds evidence to my theory that this was just a dream. The probable reason why they don't say it was just a dream is because that would be considered poor writing. In short the episode left the whole "was it a dream?" deal slightly ambiguous. This leads me to my next point:

The problem with Mortis isn't so much the idea but the way it was executed. One must love Anakin's logic in that arc when he attempts to prevent his fall to the dark side by joining the dark side. I think the arc had a cool premise and setup but was plagued with silly ideas and illogical writing. Plus we already know what happens to Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS so that sucked out any tension that the arc may have tried to convey.

Do I think Mortis was the worst thing about TCW? Nope. But it certainly had some wrinkles that should have been ironed out.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Force Priestesses were worse, and they were just as ambiguous and you're forced to accept them/her/it as "good" just because Yoda would never wittingly join up with evil, yet he has been doing that since TPM and he along with the Jedi are under the spell of the Sith for a thousand years which this "Priestess(es) has not bothered to tell him and Jinn has not either. So presumably after all of this training Yoda going back to the Temple would yet again being under the darkside shroud and influence, so what effect and cost does this have on him? If Vader learned this trick, then he did so as a Sith and did not tell Sidious. In the EU Ghosts were more common and sponanous, now its something learned and aquired. How did the Priestess feel about Yoda training Kenobi? Why didnt JInn reach out to the entire Council even after they tried making contact, he refused to be summoned. Jinn himself is problematic since he was the one ultmelt repsoble for bringing this boy who ends up aiding in the destruction of the Jedi, you can argue he killed both the Jedi and the Sith but that is not really true since their is Sith disciples and what not roaming around. Plus even if the Sith are dead, that does not mean all Darksiders are, am sure their is other cults of the Darkside, Nightsisters and Sith were two examples. Even The Son wanted to destroy both the Jedi and the Sith and create a new order of his own design. So just how significant the Sith and Jedi anyway at the end of the day. Who were the Mortis family or who was the Priestess, and what was she a priestess of, presumably the Force but here then the Force more becomes a deity of some kind and allowances of Spirits to walk among the living is surely speaking of some God rather than just a simple energy field, it becomes less naturalistic and more divine design by a creator being.

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    No but seriously

The Son is the Man in Black, down to wanting to escape really badly and having the ability to take whatever form he wants

The Father for all intents and purposes is Jacob, with Jack as Anakin Skywalker poised to take his place

EDIT: I JUST PUT ON THE MORTIS TRILOGY AND TELL ME THAT IS NOT THE LOST THEME SONG THAT IS PLAYING WHEN ANAKIN FIRST WAKES UP [face_laugh]

4. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    I think Mother Talzin is 100% the Mother of Mortis as The Father and The Daughter are both 'human' but The Son is pale and white and Talzin is also pale and white and in a way she uses the dark side of the force just like the son. And Palpitine wanted to get rid of her in Son Of Dathomir because she was a big threat just like the other beings on Mortis.

Mother_Talzin likes this.
  5. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    It would make sense, her going by "The Great Mother". Possibly she transformed in that Malmourral dragon, the same motif was on her magiksaber guard, so it had to be some personal significance. But then again, like so much of the writing on TCW, its very ambiguous and they leave everything up to interpretation except for when they decide to return to it with a canonized answer. Originally Dooku was to have led the Frangrawl cult, so was he suppsed to be "The Great Father" or what?! Filoni felt Talzin was more approiate in to be this mysterious leader and Lucas would agree to that and so we got Talzin instead of Dooku being the leader of that cult. Least thats what they said publically, they've been pretty silent on the Mortis mother and only really EU explored them and started linking them with their own stuff they had prior to TCW episodes so would have to make that work with this and that ect.

Mother appears to be a rank and title, Talzin being ancient and near immortal would surely speak to the fact she held that station for many many years. That said, surely she had to have given birth to other natural Force sensitive child through the years unless Maul was a one of a kind offspring or once every 500-1000 years. They never really tell us just how common Force sensitive children are but clearly there is quite a sizable minority of them with most being gobbled up by the Jedi Order the rest probably some other religious or Religio-Military Orders outside both the Jedi and Sith. Nightsisters are one Darkside sect, and they appear to need the water of life, essentially the blood of natural Force users to rejuvenate and reinvigorate their darkside magiks.

6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'd like this to be the case, and after the death of her physical body on Dathomir, I'd like to see her return to Mortis. Her ability to transform into the Malmourral would be an interesting twist as well. I'd love for a comic series to explore a post-SOD story about her, Maul, and how Mortis fits into the Dathomir storyline.

7. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I agree that formally connecting up those storylines would feel satisfying, but I wonder what allure Mortis would hold for Talzin now? As Anakin was leaving the place, it appeared to be literally falling apart after the deaths of the Daughter, Father, and Son. Perhaps enough of it remains that it could be a place Talzin could restore her power and physical form? Would she even want her physical form back at this time in history? She mentioned in SOD that staying in her spirit form made it so that Dooku could not sense her via the Force; this could clearly be advantageous if she were hiding from Sidious. I would suspect it to be an emotionally difficult place. No matter what differences Talzin and the Father may have had, and why she left, if she is the Mortis Mother, her family is dead on this place. Does she already know this? How would Maul react to learning about his deceased half-brother, a man he would likely have wanted to ally with if he were still alive? So much tragedy for this family.

8. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Talzin could use Mortis as a new base of operations since Dathomir isn't safe for her, while she restores her power. She could then summon Maul to complete his training by sharing the magicks she once taught Sidious. I'd like to see her stay on Mortis until the fall of the Empire, where she'll then be free to return to Dathomir under no threat.

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    What I would like to see is a story commissioned by Filoni that explains Mortis and the powers of the force as exemplified in the Mortis Trilogy and the Yoda Arc at the end of season 6. From Mortis to Mother Talzin to The Priestesses for the force planet we saw some trippy powerful displays of power, yet very minimal back story of the who, what, where, when and above all how. Maybe in the sequel trilogy we might get something about this. GL said once that the prequels were political, the middle trilogy was action oriented and the last one was about the force and its powers/philosophy or something like that.

Going back to Rinzler's Making of the Empire Strikes Back book, I wonder if what GL said about a true jedi in tune with the force could do all the stuff he claimed. From levitation to moving objects with their mind and other things.

10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Levitation was seen in the mirco series, TFU and TCW(Talzin where she has the same power that Sidious and Marek used leviate, Force bubble shield and lightning). Lucas toned down some of the Force powers, Force speed was never seen again after TPM and originally he wanted the Jedi and Sith to fight at high speeds because they were at their peak during the PT era and all you were gonna you see is a blur but that never made it into the later scripts.

Not sure how Obi Wan was able to jump over out've the hole before being struck dead by Maul in a manner Obi Wan would use on Anakin later on. The Jedi and Sith were jumping fantastic heights in TPM and PT yet all of a sudden Anakin cant jump a great distance over Kenobi on Mustafar.

whostheBossk likes this.