today I burn my past

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by beezel26, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    I am moving out of my apartment after eight years of being single and five years in this apartment. I have to move to my parents place to save more money up to move to Australia. Its for two to three months depending on the visa.

anyway worse part is finally leaving. I have to pack basically the stuff I am taking to australia and getting rid of the rest. A few star wars stuff and pictures but the rest are my clothes and cds.

the comp and tv are going to my parents. They want it for their room.

I finally realize this is the most difficult decision I have ever made. I know what the Immigrants of old had to go thru. I guess subconsciously I didnt want to make this move so I was putting off getting the visa together.

This is really scary for some odd reason.
  2. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    You should have a viking funeral pyre for all of your belongings.
  3. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    actually I have a large basket full of credit card offers and junk mail with sensitive material that I couldnt shred so yes I could have a viking funeral.

or maybe burn my stuff like Cortez did giving his men more motivation to stay.
  4. George_Roper Jedi Knight

star 7
    It's going to turn your whole world upside down.
  5. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    Plus there's the issue of Koala rapes that will occur.
  6. DarthCemeroX Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And without steve erwin you've basically got Bear Grilles as your only defense, well that is BEar Grilles and his crew of survival experts
  7. Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Australia is full of hoodlums.
  8. DarthCemeroX Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah but those make for good Ka-bob
  9. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    yeah I have to live with people again. That should be interesting.

I guess a person should only have so much singleness or else lose a part of themselves.
  10. JediJeffro Jedi Master

star 5

Yeah dude, you're totally like all the starving and impoverished people who lived in the engine rooms of ships for months crossing the Atlantic to come to a place where they didn't speak the language or understand the government or the monetary system.

I mean damn, you had to find a place to store your TV AND find a good airline to fly on.
  11. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    If I was moving to Mexico or Canada not a problem but its thirty hours on a plane and at least fifteen hundred dollars or more for plane fare.

That means no family will be visiting me for a very long time if at all. I have to leave them behind and take my tools and my clothes and make a new life. I will leave with the money in my pocket and thats all. And I have to sell my belongings like them to get airfare and to pay for the visa. Its not cheap. I have a promise of a job and a place to stay. but its me and my talents that will make the difference.

if you want to be insulting jeff, ask yourself can you make a big move or not? If not then dont insult. can you afford thirty five hundred dollars to make a change?
  12. Trika_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    [face_laugh]

"today I burn my past..."
    Do people around here still post about leaving the JC in a huff? The title kinda made me think that was what this thread was about. Reminded me o' the good ol' days, stuffed with extra TEH DRAMA.

Now that I know what the thread is about, though... I really don't have anything constructive to say, except that I'm sorry you feel nervous. Moving really sucks sometimes. :(
  13. OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Come on people!
    This is lol-worthy punning!

lol

And all the best with following your dream, Beez. :)

-JR :)
  14. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    thanks JR, but really if you pun that then wont you piss off a whole contigent of former mods and current mods down under?

you would be calling them backwards or upside down.

unless the servers here actually transform all pictures and words to the correct hemisphere before being posted so we dont lose our minds looking at pics upside down .
  15. hudzu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    i'm pretty sure that pulsies knows what a "joke" is.
  16. epic Ex Mod

star 8
    i have no regrets about packing up and moving to the other side of the world. only difference is that i moved FROM Australia. not sure if that helps.
  17. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Is this like when Mariah, Dork, Kate and I burned our bras? :confused:
  18. epic Ex Mod

star 8
    Mariah, Dork, Kate and Rhonda burning their bras >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> beezel burning his past
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    You were around for the 60s?
  20. lexu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    $3,500? Mate, you're dreaming. A move like that, if you even get the visa, will cost twice that easily. Good luck, but you better check your facts.
  21. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    four year visa sponsored by an employer.

plus its around a thousand bucks for a plane ticket to australia on NZ air.

plus I got place to stay.

and no no car for me for a while.

22. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    Still, $3500 (actually $2500 once you take out for the plane ticket and assume nothing happens in transit to make you spend more money)seems like an awfully small amount, especially as weak as the dollar's been in general lately. What sort of exchange rate are you looking at?

Yeah you may have a place to stay, but is the place furnished? Will you need to spend money making the place livable? Is it for the entire time you'll be there or is it only short-term? Are meals included?

What happens if once you're there and something falls through with the employer? Are you allowed to stay in the country and look for a new job or are you forced to leave in short order? If you're allowed to stay, would you have enough money set aside to keep you fed and sheltered until you find a new job. If you're not allowed to stay, do you have the money for a return trip?

I'm sure you've researched things. At the same time, it can't hurt to plan for the unexpected and/or worse-case. If you can, having an extra cushion of money saved up might end up a lifesaver.
  23. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    Thats why I am staying at my parents place.

plus the IRS, and some investments that will come to fruition.

24. mrsvos Jedi Master

star 5
    What part of Australia dear? I would like to be in my alter ego Melbourne, which is cool, artistic and cosmopolitan. My Melbourne has too many hobos. Yours has PulsarSkate.
  25. beezel26 Jedi Master

star 7
    Adelaide,

the melbourne souls call it a country city, there are a million people in the city.

not as artsy fartsy but alot better then most american cities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.