main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Today was the worst day in about 5 years...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jack_T_Chance, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, my month's shot. Hell, probably my whole year.

At 7 PM tonight, my boss showed up at the store I was working at to tell me the company was letting me go, after nearly 5 years with them. So, my mood, which already wasn't the best this close to my birthday, just got a lot worse. :(

I have no idea what I'm going to do right now, but I know I won't be my usual semi-jovial self for the foreseeable future. :(

My plans to attend Dragon*Con 2004 have had to be cancelled. Even if I manage to get another job between now and then, there's no way I'd be able to get the vacation time that soon after starting.

So, that's about how my day went. If you're thinking your day was crap, just remember, it could always be worse. If you have a job to go to tomorrow, you're one step ahead of me right now.

Later guys and gals.

2. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    That sucks - having gone through the same thing myself a few years back when they laid off 1/3 of the staff, I know how that really wrecks things. With the way the economy's been, I think the people who haven't been through that sort of thing are in the minority. Hang in there!

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    That sucks :( some employers have no loyalty to their employees [face_plain]

Well, chin-up, and don't take it sitting down. Get yourself out there and find yourself a better job with more pay, longer vacations and free donuts !

4. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    No employer has any loyalty to any employee these days. I've been laid off twice in the past 4 years and at this time I am still out of work.

5. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    The sad thing is, now employees have to have the exact same amount of loyalty as their employers do - none and always keep their eyes open for something better. Which is a pity, because employers are going to lose good people who otherwise wouldn't look to move on elsewhere.

6. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    That sucks. Sorry to hear about that, Dan.

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Aaaah... it stinks Jack. Take a few days, catch your breath, catch up on your sleep. Then go forth. I know so many people out of work, looking for work, and several who are currently employed and expecting to be dropped at any minute. You're not alone in misery.

8. Jack_T_Chance

Jack_T_Chance Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, I got a small bit of good news today.

I just filed for unemployment Thursday, and after only 2 days, I've already received my initial info in the mail from them. Here in the State of Maryland, the maximum unemployment benefit is $310 a week. That's the most they'll give to anyone. And even though my salary was modest, I still qualified for the full $310 a week. :)

It's still a noticeable "pay cut" from what I was making, but at least I'll have enough money to keep my bills paid, and to keep gas in the car while I'm looking for a job. :cool:

9. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    Have a hug.

::Hug::

10. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    awww that reeeeally sucks, Dan. good luck finding something else soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.