main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Together Again [L/M "Back from the Dead" challenge] - COMPLETED JUNE 8TH!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Mar 12, 2016.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    This is such a sad, but happy moment. It has to be tough for both of them. Nice update.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, this was lovely! I love Luke wearing blue because Mara likes to see him in colour. It's nice to see them bonding after so much pain on both sides.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Right now they are still dealing with the reinstatement of the impossible - being together again. Naturally they are loving and kind and happy. But they are not really the exact same people that the other remembers. I wonder how that will play out.

Plus Ben's reaction should be interesting. o_O

Very nice update!

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. My goal in this is just to have Luke reduce you to mush! And, yeah, of course Mara would be the last one alive!

Me too! ;)

Thanks. In my first try of this, I had them get together right away, but it just didn't work, so I am glad you like this version.

Thanks. This fic is very much both sad and happy.

Thanks. I like to think they deserve to bond after so much pain.

It will be interesting for sure :p

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Thank you all for reading. I am slowly plugging away at this, despite other responsibilities (ugh, exams).

Chapter 4

Ossus

Luke settled back in at home in the Jedi Academy. He had a few more days alone before Ben returned home from a diplomatic mission. So he spent them doing paperwork. When he told the life-insurance broker that Mara was back from the dead, the man simply believed him. Being a Jedi in an insane galaxy had its perks. That had made the process from returning Mara to the living, even if she wasn’t the exact Mara Jade Skywalker that had died, had been surprisingly easy. The legal process was finished, but the information was still private. But Luke knew all the flimsy work had been the easy part.

When Ben returned, Luke had prepared a nice dinner of nerf steaks, mashed tubours, recia veggies, and a kaké for dessert.

“Whatever happened, I didn’t do it,” Ben said, as he walked into the small apartment he and his father shared, and dropped his pack. His robes were clean, but his red hair was unkempt, a result of being away from hair trimmers for too long. He had gone to a primitive, yet peaceful world to bring them into the fold of the Galactic Alliance.

“You didn’t do anything,” Luke chucked as he plated their dinners.

“Good,” Ben said, shrugging off his robe and leaving it on the back of a chair. “Because I am starving.” He sat at their small dining room table. “Because, as hospitable as the Jamii people were, their diet was rather… basic.”

“Oh the trials and tribulations of a Jedi Knight,” Luke sighed sarcastically, bringing the two plates to the table. “But I do need to speak to you about something rather important.”

Ben hesitated to pick up his fork. “You are dying.”

“No, jeez Ben. Do I think I would ruin steak for you by telling you that over a nice meal?”

“True,” Ben said, picking up his utensils and began eating.

“Have you heard of any multiple reality or alternate universe theories?” Luke asked, as he took his first bite.

Ben shrugged. “They use them every once in awhile in some of the holos I watch, like Healer Who and Gate-Star. Basically something happens that causes a new reality to appear and there are infinite amounts of possible realities. But that only happens in the holos. If there is someone claiming to be from another reality, they are full of shavit,” he deadpanned.

His father winced. “I wouldn’t be too sure.”

“Why, has another Luke Skywalker shown up?” Ben chuckled. “That would be a nightmare.”

“No. A nightmare would have been another you showing up.”

“Alright, then who showed up?”

“Your mother,” Luke replied gently.

“Mom?” Ben’s jaw dropped.

“DNA confirms it. She came here from a reality where the Yuuzhan Vong won the war.”

“How? I mean, how did she come here?”

“With a device she and I, that version of me, created using force-powerful crystals and other elements to create a wormhole through realities. I destroyed the device as per her request so that no one will accidentally end back up there.”

“Things must have been pretty bad there.”

“She was the last Jedi,” Luke said, recalling her memories from their shared bond. “Probably the last sentient being other than the Vong. She fought them for over twenty years. They killed everyone she knew.”

“Wow. I don’t remember much of the war, but I saw how deviating it was. How you and… Mom, talked about it was… chilling.”

“Then you can imagine what kind of state she is in physically, and mentally. She lost me - er… her Luke - right before coming here, so she has decided to work on becoming well again before seeing if we can have a relationship. That will give you and me some time to process the idea of having her back in our lives, but she might be a bit different.”

“Which is totally understandable.”

Luke nodded. “You are surprisingly okay with this.”

“Dad, our lives are pretty weird.”

“True. But,” he hesitated. “There is something else. In her universe, she never had you. She miscarried the pregnancy.”

Ben didn’t reply.

It was no secret to Ben that he was almost was not born in this reality. “She did say she was happy I had you. I didn’t press the issue. I’m sure it is a hard topic for her.”

“So, she isn’t like my mom?”

“I’m not sure if she would see herself in that way.”

Luke could tell that the revelation bothered his son, but he merely shrugged. “Okay, well, you know I am fine with having a step-mom. I always knew that was eventually going to be a possibility.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes Dad,” Ben sounded fine, but Luke had an inkling to the contrary. “I’m twenty now anyways, and if she spends as much time in the medcentre as you mentioned, I’ll be almost twenty-one before you and her start doing stuff like living together. I don’t need or want another mom. I’ll be out of your guys’ hair by the time she comes around.”

“Ben, I don’t want that. I don’t want to have to choose between you and her.”

“Dad, I’m going to have to move out sometime. And I’ll still be around, it’s not like I got a whole lot of options here on Osuss other than down the hall. Frack, you and I both know I am just going to stay in my chambers at the Temple on Coruscant.”

“I know. I just don’t want this new situation to force you to grow up and make you feel like you have to leave me. You are my priority. You always are any you always will be.”

“I’m not going to run away from home just because you got a new wife. This is a good thing. You get to have your wife again and you stop driving me crazy.”

“Will you just think about it before you make any decisions about moving out?”

“Yeah, sure,” Ben said. “Can I just eat my dinner now?”

“Of course.” Luke took another bite. “How was the mission?” he asked, not wanting to eat in silence.

“Well,” Ben said with a chuckle. “It was going perfectly fine until Keligaris spooked one of the Equui and it went running off, releasing all the Moi’u. Trying to round up a group of stampeding animals isn’t easy. Cleaning up after said animals after they storm all the living dwellings is even worse.”

Luke chuckled as Ben continued his tale.

Over the next few weeks, Ben spent much of his time thinking about his mother, and his father. One evening, Ben walked out on top of the academy as the evening air swept his hair. He cupped a warm cup of cocoa in his hands. He often came up here to think as the sun set behind stone cliffs and lines of green trees, setting the sky ablaze with orange waves. It was peaceful as he sat atop a stone wall.

He missed his mom. He wasn’t ashamed to admit that. But, at the same time, he wished for no one to ever try to replace her. His mother had died protecting him, and, as guilty as Ben sometimes felt about that, he knew his mom had gone out the way she preferred, and no one would ever replace the love that Ben felt from that. Yes, his mother was dead, and unfortunately it had become premature in a horrific way, but it was natural for a child to bury their parents. Ben had dealt with his grief. He was at peace and able to look to the future.

As for his father, Ben wanted his dad to start a relationship with this new Mara. Frankly, he saw how his father had been over the past few days. It was like Luke’s mind was elsewhere, it was like he was grieving all over again, but in a different way. Ben knew his father was worried about this other Mara. He wanted his dad to have happiness, but Ben didn’t know how he would feel around a woman that looked, spoke and probably acted exactly like his mom.

Ben knew there was only way to figure that out. After finishing his cocoa, he leaped off of the wall and headed inside. He found his father in his lounger in the living room, reading a manuscript found by Tionne.

“Hey Dad?”

“Yes, Ben?” his father asked, looking up.

“I think I’m going to go on a… small trip.”

“Sure. Where’re you going?”

“Kavan.” Ben didn’t like lying to his father, but he knew his father wouldn’t press the issue if he said he was going to the world where his mother had died. Chandrila - he found out where Mara was from his father’s travel logs - was a peaceful planet and there was no physical danger, so he didn’t feel that bad about lying.

Luke nodded. “May the Force be with you, my son.”

Ben rolled his eyes. “You always sound like Darth Vader when you call me that.”

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope Ben will accept new Mara too

7. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    This has to be strange for all involved. I look forward to reading more.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Always enjoy your Ben. =D= His feelings and thoughts are absolutely understandable in such a unique situation. You know Luke's feelings are mixed. :p

Briannakin likes this.
  9. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    I was totally lost for a minute, because I was like "WAIT...WHERE'S THE REST OF IT!?!?!?!" and then I realized...I'm just seeing into the future ;)

I love this. I love the way Luke explains it to Ben, how they interact. I hated in profic how their relationship seemed so strained all the time. I mean, come on. I'm pretty sure Luke Skywalker is one of the easiest people to get along with EVER. And he can't like...just hang with his son? Please. :rolleyes:

I think that (in this situation) where it isn't like...their Mara coming back from the dead, if it really came down to it Luke would pick Ben over the "new" Mara if he really had to. I like how you show that Luke is thinking of how this is affecting Ben, and Ben is thinking about how it's affecting his father. All around beautiful [face_love]

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    earlybird-obi-wan:
    Me too!

Ewok_Slayer
    This was also very strange for the author. Thanks

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Thanks. I've always enjoyed writing Ben. I gotta go it more often

Irish_Jedi_Jade
    Oh hush you :p

Thanks. I love Luke and Ben. Their relationship is a bit better portayed in FOTJ, but still, I totally understand that frustration (LOTF sucked!)

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: BLAHHHHHH. Sorry for the late update! But I am actually finished this fic *GASP*. So I should be better at updating (after I get back). A special thanks to Goodwood for the “Corellians without blasters” line.

Chapter 5

Chandrila

“Easy, Jade, easy,” her physical therapist, a human male with shoulder-length brown hair, tied back in a bun. He had tanned skin and a strong, chiseled jaw. His name was Favi, and his delightful personality made his gruelling therapy tolerable. He held a strong arm around her back as he gently pushed her off the edge of her bed. He didn’t know her identity. Apparently, Luke had legally resurrected her, but had yet to make her existence public.

After eight weeks on bed-rest and several minor surgeries to remove deeply buried shrapnel and to mend poorly healed bones, Favi felt that Mara was ready to try walking again. She had appreciated the relaxation, and the amount of drugs, after two decades of chaos, but she had been growing restless.

Gripping with white knuckles onto a hover walker - a metal frame kept at waist-level by gentle repulsers - Mara took her first steps in weeks. She had grown frail, even with all the food and nutrients they were packing into her. Perhaps her body knew it could finally rest.

“You are doing great,” Favi said as he continued to support her. She was thankful that Gavica had gotten her some standard sweatpants and tee-shirts. She took slow steps, careful not to put too much weight on the leg that had been recently broken. When they got to the door of her suite, he said. “Alright. Let’s head back to the bed.”

“No,” she gritted out.

“Mara.” The younger man was surprisingly stern. “You cannot overdo it. It’s almost lunch time anyways, Dr. Sindea will kill me if you sleep though a meal. Then you have an appointment with Dr. Kaga and you know how scary that Bothan is.”

Mara grunted in agreement, but then froze. She saw a figure in the hallway and knew exactly who it was. He had her hair, red and wild, but his father’s face, particularly his eyes, and his father’s fashion sense. His black pants and brown tunic could have been straight out of his father’s closet. He was exactly like she imagined her son.

The young man was frozen in his spot as well, his expression was one of longing. They both starred at each other like Corellians caught without blasters.

She felt weak, nearly collapsing onto Favi. She took short breaths. “You are okay, just take deep breaths,” he said gently. As he all but carried her back to the bed, he whispered, “Do you want me to get security? Dr. Kaga?”

“No, no,” she said, welcoming the soft, warm blankets and pillows.

“Do you know that man?” he asked, leaning his head towards the door.

“I do,” she lied. “I just wasn’t expecting him.” That part was the truth.

He helped her cover back up. “Can I leave you alone with him?”

“Yes, it’s fine.”

“Alright, but please do not hesitate to call someone if you need anything.” Favi left the room.

Mara was alone for several moments as she felt another young man gather his courage and composure outside of her door.

She tried to make herself as welcoming as possible by pulling on a grey sweater to cover her thin arms.

Finally, there was a soft knock.

“You can come in,” she called, her heart racing.

It was a few moments before the doors cycled open. Ben Skywalker entered trembling, though he was clearly trying not to. He was his father’s child. He seemed to look everywhere in the bland room; his eyes darted around, taking everything in.

“It’s not very athletically pleasing. It’s fairly boring after you have been here longer than three minutes,” she said. She wasn’t sure if she was putting him at ease, or making him more more uncomfortable.

“The view is nice,” Ben said, looking out the viewport.

“It’s peaceful.” The day over the mountains were stormy, but the grey clouds did not bring an ominous storm, but instead rain, to wash the blue stone of the mountain and to nourish the green plants and trees.

Ben finally looked at her. He seemed frightened, like he wanted to flee the room and planet. “This is really weird,” he practically blurted.

She lightly chuckled. “I guess you get your bluntness from your mother.”

Ben nervously laughed along with her. “My uncle probably didn’t help much.”

Mara smiled softly. To her, Han had died in a blaze of glory, taking out a Yuuzhan Vong ship some fifteen years ago. His last words to her and Luke had been “Watch this.” She wondered how he, Leia and Jaina were here. “Well then, there really was no hope for you, was there?”

Ben laughed as he sat on the stool beside her bed. “Not really.”

Silence washed over the room and Mara knew it was okay to be blunt.

“What are you doing here? Not that I mind meeting you, finally.” He was the son that she lost so long ago. She was so happy he had gotten a chance at life here. She had long come to terms with the death of her unborn baby. The reality she had come from had been no place to raise a child. If she was honest with herself, she knew she would have lost him even if she had given birth to him. She wiped away tears that formed.

“I don’t really know. I guess wanted to meet you. To see if I could handle being around you even though you aren’t my mom, but you are the woman she was.”

“I hope you can. I know I can never replace her, even though I am the woman she was. You seem like such a strong, intelligent young man, despite all this weirdness. She made you that and she would be proud of you.”

Mara saw the tears forming in Ben’s eyes. “I miss my mom.”

“I miss my baby. I never got to hold him.” Mara felt so exposed with this young man, but it felt good. He was so much like his father, so much like how she would imagine his child to be.

“Dad always makes me feel better when I miss her. I want to return the favour to him. I want him to have you again.”

“With you in the picture too, your father would have it no other way,” Mara said, leaning forward. “I think you and I could get along.”

“Yeah, for Dad.”

“So, does your father know you are here?” she asked, curious.

“No, but he’ll probably figure it out and ask about you. He wants to be with you, I can tell.”

“That’s what I worried about asking him to leave. Tell him I am doing well, that I miss him, and that I think he was right about the six months.”

Ben nodded.

“Can you tell me about yourself?” Mara asked hoping Ben would. “I want to know more about you.”

Ben chuckled. This time, it seemed to come easy and naturally. “What do you want to know?”

“Just about you. I think I am going to be kinda like your stepmom if things between your father and I work out. I want to know you, and you to know me.”

Ben shrugged. “I’m 20. I’m a Jedi knight. My dad mentioned that you and he share your guys’ bond.”

She nodded. “I saw your childhood, but I want to hear it from you.”

“There was a lot of pain, from the wars and the crises. But my parents always made sure I was safe, happy, and that I knew I was loved.” Ben wore a distant smile on his face and Mara was glad the young man had wonderful memories to get lost in.

After a long conversation with the new Mara, Ben left her feeling oddly uplifted, despite the awkward and blocky conversation. No, she wasn’t his mom, and Ben was glad that she didn’t try to be. He didn’t try to be her son.

Yes, she looked, sounded, and acted just like his mother. That part was difficult for him. It was hard to not want to curl up in her arms like he had done with his mother. But his mother was dead. And just like she asked his dad for 6 months to morn for her husband, she knew she could never replace the Mara that died.

But, Ben knew she would make his father happy. And, she deserved happiness too. She would be the greatest step-mom any orphan kid could ask for.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous! =D= A very candid and gentle tone between these two who are experiencing something undeniably unusual but wonderful at the same time. A second chance sorta kinda. [face_thinking] @};- Somehow they'll become the family they could and should have been but different. :cool: =D=

Briannakin likes this.
  13. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Healer Who and Gate-Star! [face_laugh]

Lovely ending between Mara and Ben - both realising that she isn't really his mother and he isn't really her son, but still having that connection and love that will make them a wonderful family.

14. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Awwwww. I think I teared up a little. That was truly wonderful.

15. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    I love this!!!!! Favi is a doll, he seems like such a caring, awesome person! And I like how Mara and Ben understood that they weren't the same people that the other had in their head, but were willing to learn about this new chance they were given.

[face_love]

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    There's so much wonderful stuff here that I would wind up quoting the whole thing. The way you describe the view, with the rain not as dismal but nourishing, the "Corellians without a blaster" line, the so-Han way he died in Mara 2.0's Vong dominated reality, the idea that even if Mara had been able to give birth to Ben in her own timeline, it wouldn't have mattered because the child would not have survived - all amazing little gems.

This is a fantastic little story and I really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for the great read!:)

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Once again, as much as I love this plot bunny, I just never knew how to do it justice. My apologies if this feels rushed. Yes, this plot had the potential to be an epic with so many complex layers, but I am not that talented. This was written for pure fun, so it is fairly “feel good and fluffy”.

ALSO, I AM TRYING SO HARD TO BE BETTER AT WRITING REPLIES TO COMMENTS. I APPRECIATE PEOPLE READING SO MUCH! Unfortunately, I just got back from camping, I have a horrible head cold, so I am literally posting this and getting back into bed.

Chapter 6

Ossus

“I need a vacation,” Luke grumbled as he sat down at the small table. The Ossus sun was low in the sky, casting the apartment in long shadows.

“Bad day at work?” Ben chuckled. He was searching in his father’s kitchen.

“Yes,” Luke said, rolling his head back, cracking his neck. “The senators from the outer rim want me to stay out of the Tatooine election. Of course when I get threats like that, I’m going to know they are up to installing a puppet government. Creating a democracy on that world was a mistake. I blame your aunt for that one,” he said, scratching his beard.

Ben walked over to the table with a plate loaded with a sliced dew back sandwich and chipits. As soon as the plate was on the table, Luke reached over and grabbed it. “Hey!” Ben exclaimed.

Luke took a bite. “You don’t live here any more.” Ben had moved out of his father’s apartment a month earlier. “My house; my food.”

“But I’m your guest. Besides, I forgot to put an order in for groceries for the last shipment.” Jedi knights living in their own chambers on Ossus, like Ben was, had two options when it came to food, either eating at the cafeteria, or putting in a monthly order for groceries. “And the cafeteria is serving leftover gueleic.” Of course, Ben had a third: stealing from his father.

“You are not my guest. I didn’t invite you and you no longer help me clean.” Luke took a huge bite of the warm sandwich.

Ben puffed out his bottom lip.

“Fine,” Luke said with a sigh, his mouth full of food. “Go make yourself another sandwich. This one is mine.”

“Stealing food right out of your child’s mouth is abuse,” Ben said, getting up.

“Yeah, and taking advantage of your elderly parent is frowned upon too.”

Their banter was interrupted by the comm station ringing. A wicked, mischievous grin crossed Ben’s face. “You going to go get that? I can’t, because I don’t live here any more, so it has to be for you.”

Luke merely scowled, picked up his plate to prevent Ben from stealing back the the food, and when to the comm station. He swallowed another bite before flicking on the holo comm. He gasped when the caller’s head and upper torso appeared. It was Mara. Her hair was tied back and she was wearing a plain shirt. She looked so much better than she had 6 months ago when he had last saw her. She had clearly, and thankfully, put on some weight and she looked rested.

Luke felt his pulse quicken. He had thought about her often in the past 6 months. He knew his wife had died and that this woman could never replace her, but he still felt that they could bring each-other happiness and warmth once again. He had avoided contacting her, or even reaching out to her in the Force, as he knew she needed her time to grieve and come to terms with what had happened. He knew Ben had visited her and that his son was fine with the prospect of her being in their lives, and that thought heartened him .

“Mara!” he gasped, setting down his plate. He then straightened his robes and beard.

She let out a soft laugh and Luke could feel himself smile like an idiot. His face grew warm. He should have been expecting this comm-call.

“Hey Farmboy.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Like I need someone to break me out of this medcenter. They have me in the psych ward. Apparently they think being in an endless war did a number on me.”

“Are you ready to be released?” He asked, his voice filling with unwavering hope.

Mara sighed. “Well, the doctors here believe there’s very little else they can do to rehabilitate me, physically or mentally. They patched me up as well as they can and I am not a risk to myself or anyone else. I honestly think getting out of this place will be the best thing for me. I am tired of talking about what happened - what I had to go through. The others here, in the psychiatric ward, are sick. Yes, I am messed up, but nothing needs to be done to fix me.” There was the slightest hint of vulnerability in her voice.

Luke nodded. “Are your doctors are fine with releasing you?”

She gave him a deadpan look. “You and I both know I am here of my own free will. If I had wanted to leave, I would have. Being here allowed me to grieve for my Luke and come to terms with… everything. I’ve gotten used to being around beings again. I know you are not the man I lost, but you are the man I married. I want to be with you. I think I deserve that. I think I was brought to this reality for a reason.”

“I think you were too.” Luke then realized Ben was watching the conversation. “Ben, I need your approval. I need you to be okay with me going to Mara and for her to come here.”

“Dad, you know I want you to be happy, and she is basically the only being in this reality I can’t be mad at for becoming my step-mother.” Ben then shrugged. “As long as you leave some indication as to when I can come steal food an when I shouldn’t because you are inserting your lightsaber into - ”

“AND YOU CAN GO NOW!” Luke yelled at his son as he shoved the plate containing the sandwich into Ben’s hand. He then turned to Mara with his cheeks red. “I’m coming to get you now,” he said gently.

Chandrilla

When Luke entered the medcentre on Chandrilla two days later, he had flowers in one hand, a suitcase in the other, and his finest black pants and deep blue robes on. His hair and beard were trimmed neatly.

“Master Skywalker?” a young human nurse caught his attention. He had short brown hair that clashed with his sea-foam green scrubs. Then again, that colour of green looked like it would clash with everything. But the young man looked extremely attentive and intelligent. “Master Jade Skywalker said she felt you land and asked me to get you. She had a slight accident.”

“Is she okay?”

“She is fine. I can explain on the way,” the nurse said, beginning to walk down one of the corridors. “Master Jade Skywalker’s body had been overworked for 20 years. Now that she is in this reality, her body knows it can rest and sometimes doesn’t function quite right.”

Luke nodded. “After the Vong war here, most Jedi here randomly got quite sick with mundane illnesses. Almost as if their bodies knew to starve off the sicknesses when they needed to fight, but once the war was over, their bodies knew they could rest.”

“That is precisely what is happening to Mara. Last night she came down with a flu with a mild fever. It is one of the reasons why her medical team thinks it is best if she gets discharged. Her immune system is clearly weak. Being in a medcentre, with all the diseases and germs floating around, even in the psychiatric ward, simply isn’t worth the risk. We assume you will take care of her, both physically and mentally, and if she needs professional help, we know you will get it to her.”

“Of course.”

They took a lift to another wing of the medcentre and came out to a large circular desk. A Bothan was seated behind it. “Hello Master Skywalker. I am Dr. Gavica Kaga. I am glad you are here.” She stood and shook his hand. “Despite not being happy about it, I am glad Mara decided to stay here as long as she did. Her reality was not one I would wish on my worst enemy, but she has made great progress in coping with being here.”

“Do you think she is ready to be released?” Luke asked, releasing her hand.

The doctor nodded. “I do. To be honest, she is not truly okay. She has seen a lot of trauma and it has had effects on her. She has night terrors often. In her first weeks here, she had to be sedated so she could rest and I recommend doing so if they come back and she needs rest. Sometimes she gets lost in her thoughts and forgets where she is. She has had a few violent outbursts if she gets anxious or if she feels vulnerable. We felt it best to commit her to the psych ward so she could learn to cope.”

Luke had to resist rolling his eyes. Angry outbursts were no symptom. That was just Mara.

“But,” Gavica finished. “With all that she has been through, I wouldn’t expect her to be fine. She has said herself, what she experienced was simply her life. It affected her just like any other major life event. This is her normal and she is confident she can cope and live the rest of her life here with the new circumstances this galaxy presents. She doesn’t want to change who she is, but she is willing to adapt. Is it healthy? Not exactly, but nothing she has experienced has been healthy. I hope she can continue to progress, but both she and I feel that there is not much more I can help her with.”

Luke nodded. “Perhaps I can help her continue to recover. But if not, I will make sure she is safe, as happy as she can be, and loved. Can I see her?”

“Of course.”

Luke was led down a quiet hallway. The nurse typed in a simple code and the door slid to the side. This room was smaller than the last medcentre room he had visited her in and resembled a plain dorm room with a simple bed, table and dresser. Mara was on the bed, lying on her side, covered in blankets and half crumpled tissues. She let out a hacking cough. Her hair was slicked back with sweat and she looked clammy. “Took you long enough to get here. Some rescue party,” she huffed.

He laughed. He knelt down and hugged her tightly. “You ready to come with me?”

“Always.”

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh the father/son banter =D= [face_rofl] Totally priceless!

I agree with the healer's/medic's conclusions. Any further recovery will be better away from the medcenter :p

SQUEE on the L/M situation. They're very comfortable with one another. :)

19. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Aw, love it! Mara's been through such trauma she'll never really get over it, but her best chance is out in the world, not cooped up in a medward.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The banter here inspired me to start on a Luke and Ben fic [face_laugh] So much sass.

Thanks!

Thanks for reading!

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Chapter 7

Mara felt her stomach leap when Luke embraced her and she hoped it was not a side-effect of her current condition. She took a moment to press her cheek on his chest. She loved this man no matter what the circumstance. She just hoped he felt the same.

Finally, they separated. Hating how feebly she felt, she tried to swing her legs out of the bed, but she had to pause, turn away from him, and let out a hacking cough. She felt him place a gentle hand on her back. “Sorry,” she murmured.

“It’s okay. Why don’t we get you out of this place?”

She turned back to him with a gentle smile. “I like that idea.”

“Do you have anything you want to pack?”

“Just the robe in the top drawer. Everything else belongs to the medcentre. Did you bring anything I can wear to the ship? I don’t want to look like I just escaped from a medcenter.”

Mara sensed that he was surprised to find one of his robes in the top drawer, then it clicked for him and he carefully placed in the bag, he then rummaged through the bag. “I have some more comfortable stuff in the Jade - ”

Mara’s gasp interrupted him. “You still have the Jade Sabre?”

He chuckled. “Of course not. You know me and you. It’s the Jade Shadow.

Mara nodded. “I remember that ship. Nice ship. We only had it for a few years. Then it had to be replaced with Jade Recover.”

“How many Jades were there?”

She wearily shook her head. “A dozen? He always insisted on naming them Jade something.”

“Good man,” he said with a laugh. He pulled out a pair of grey legs leggings, an under tunic, olive green tunic, and a pair of brown boots. “As I was saying, I have some more comfortable things in Jade. I ordered you all the basic things on the flight over here and had them delivered right to the Jade, but you can order more.”

She nodded, then suggested. “They probably have a bunch of discharge paperwork for you.” She took a moment to cough. “Why don’t you go get started?”

“Okay,” he said, leaning down to touch her hand. His fingers lingered.

Luke reluctantly left Mara to read and sign a couple different data-files

He then re-entered Mara’s room to see her in the middle of trying to pull on her under tunic. She had been interrupted with a coughing fit.

He paused for a moment. Her torso was bare with the exception of brassiere tape. He had been used to his Mara’s scars, but the woman before him had small, pitted scars radiating up her back. They were deep, more like skin deformations that never healed.

She finished coughing and cleared her throat as she pulled on the plain white garment. “Long story. I blew up a Vong warship when I thought there was no escape. I was buying Jaina some time to get out,” she said as if it were the most common event. She had read his mind. “Then Jaina decided to come back to rescue me as I floated in deep space. Could have killed myself her for that one. The pain of recovering from an explosion like that was excruciating without batca, then of course, all the shrapnel scarred.”

He handed her the tunic. “Jaina is married to Jagged Fel. She’s pregnant with her first… and second,” he said with a laugh.

“The twins continue. How does Han feel about that?”

Luke chuckled. “He would prefer if Jaina was six again. He feels old.” He grew quiet as Mara snapped together her belt and clipped her lightsaber onto it. “I’m sorry - for staring at your scars. I was just concerned. If you ever not want to talk about something, just tell me.”

“It’s fine, Farmboy. It happened. I’m okay with talking about it. It makes their sacrifices real, because they were.” She then coughed again as she bent down to pull on her boots. “Let’s get out of here.”

Luke held out his hand. “Do you want help?”

Her answer shocked him. “Yes.” That wasn’t what his wife would have said. In that moment, he realized just how far her reality had pushed her.

She took his hand and he helped her up. She leaned heavily on him as they walked out of the room. “I’m not this feeble normally. Its this dammed flu.”

He smiled as he wrapped his arm around her back. That was the Mara that he knew.

As they walked out of the medcenter, Luke noticed Mara was shivering, despite the sunny, early autumn day. “Hey, just a sec.” They stopped and he shrugged off his outer robe and made her put it on. He then sensed a shift in her tone. Her calm, almost joyous demeanour - no doubt her feelings toward being released from the medcenter - collapsed in on itself.

“Mara?”

Luke quickly led her to the rented speeder, threw her bag in the back and helped her in the passenger seat. He got in on the pilot’s side, but did not flip the ignition switch.

She was crying, coughing and generally making a mess out of the sleeve of his robe. “He always used complain about the cold, then the war came and he would always give me his robe, even though we both knew he was suffering more than me.”

“It’s okay to miss him. No one said this was going to be an easy relationship.”

“It never was with us, Farmboy.”

“But I want to make us work. I know I will still have moments when I miss Ben’s mom. I love her, but I love you too, already. Mara, we are going to make this work,” he said with optimism, taking her hand. He noticed she wore her wedding ring, along with his. He still wore his, but he wore his Mara’s on a chain around his neck. “I think of us as long lost lovers. We agreed to spend the rest of our lives together once. That commitment has never changed for me. Yes, our realities diverged and for all intent and purposes, we lived our separate lives with different people. But fate brought us together again, even if we are a bit different. We both are not getting any younger. We both deserve the happiness the other can bring to us. But, if you need more time…”

“No,” her answer was quick. “I feel the same way. I lost the man I loved once. I don’t want to lose another. He’d yell at me.”

“I would or he would?”

“You both probably would,” she said with a roll of her green eyes. “Now, start driving. I just want to get back to bed. I think all the flu medication is affecting me.”

“Yeah, sure it is,” he said in a teasing tone as he turned on the speeder. He tossed a data-pad, which had been in the centre console into her lap. “Here. Buy yourself some nice things and have them delivered to docking bay 25 in Hanna City Centre. We probably won’t get a lift-off time till later tonight. I want to restock the Shadow anyways.”

“Are you sure?”

He gave her a dubious look. “Yes. Do not worry about the credits.”

“Fine,” she said, tapping on the data-pad. “I am not going to be asked twice.”

Most of the speeder ride was quiet, but it was a comfortable silence. When they got to the hangers, Luke noticed Mara had begun to drift to sleep. He remembered those days after the war well. After everything had quieted down, there had been days where all his body wanted to do was rest. He gently ran his knuckles against her warm cheek.

Luke parked the speeder at the rental desk and was quick to get out and open the door for Mara. “Can I help get you in the main cabin? You should rest some more and I have stuff to do.”

She silently nodded and took his outstretched hand.

Mara leaned a bit too heavily on Luke as they walked through the hangar. He was being a gentleman, as always, letting her clutch onto his arm as she struggled to breath without coughing. Finally, they reached the docking bay and Mara gasped. The Jade Shadow had all been ebbed from her memory, but it was a beautiful sight. Most of the hull was a matte silver, but the curves simply looked so smooth. There were a few dents and Mara smiled. She was sure that this ship had been a loving, protective home.

Luke approached the hull and lowered the boarding ramp. He led her up and to the starboard side to a cabin with a simple bed for two people and a small refresher. “You mind if I have a sanisteam while we are still on planet?” she asked. She had always preferred actual sanisteams as opposed to non-water sonic-showers.

“Of course. I think I have enough water in the tank, but I’ll get someone to re-fill it.” He then went to a dresser built into the wall, pulled out a few drawers and got two plus towels along with a pair of his pyjama pants and an old shirt of his. “Might be a bit big, but you can pull the drawstring tight. I’m assuming you bought yourself some nightwear? You can wear this till the comes.”

She nodded as she took the pile of clothes. “Thank you.”

“It’s all for me. I love you and I don’t want to see you go without anything,” he said with a light pink touch to his cheeks as he left.

Mara stripped, shivering, and stepped into the sanisteam and cranked on the warm water. She had ’steams and baths in the medcentre, but there was something about having the warm beads of water hit her skin in familiar surroundings that was comforting. She smiled as she looked down to see Luke’s preferred hair and body wash. His tastes had not changed in 20 years.

“Guess I gotta smell like a farm boy,” she said, reaching down to pick up one of the bottles to wash the sweat off her body.

Mara was nearly finished when she suddenly felt dizzy. She let out a hacking cough and struggled to breathe. In a panic, she searched for something to hold her up. There was nothing. As she fell to the textured floor of the sanisteam, she heard the door open and familiar hands grab her.

22. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Nice update. I hope Mara doesn't have a weird Vong virus or something.[face_nail_biting]

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Do you know how oomphy this is? =D= =D= Has the great Bri blend of yummy!!! And then :oops: :eek: What was that at the end? [face_nail_biting] Luke and Mara are darling together and have the best outlook. He is so loving and she so open to embracing the new circumstances. [face_love]

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What's with Mara?
    I love how Luke is caring for her

25. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm so ashamed ...I'm so behind! :oops:

I love this! [face_love] Hahahah oh man your Ben is just priceless, he's amazing! I love the banter between him and Luke, obviously they have a good relationship and that makes my heart smile.

I don't know why, but this makes me smile. I love the idea that she'd be so happy to know her ship survived. And I love the sense of almost....camaraderie between this Luke and other universe Luke. Like he's thankful that the other Luke took such good care of his Mara. ^:)^

This is just so sweet. It made me almost tear up...and so true!!!!! They are going to have struggles but the basis of their relationship is there, they love each other and they'll miss the "other" one, but they can learn to love their second chance. [face_love] Love love love this story lady!!!!!