main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Tolkien] Ocean in Love, Wild with Blueness. Up On 01/09/15!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Sep 17, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by Nyota's Heart - Disclaimer: Borrowing characters/situations with boundless, eternal admiration and awe.

Genre: Introspection, epic-style action and loving mush. ;)

Characters: Luthien, Beren, and others.

Note: The title comes from a Nayyirah Waheed poem. [face_love]

I take stylus to paper to chronicle an eventful journey, whose twists and turns were often not known to me and many was the time I felt like I was stepping off a precipice into a chasm. But I found one who is always there to catch me, being the wind beneath my wings.

In my girlhood, I never dreamt that such as he would be my haven and bulwark. But as in the case of my parents, love came unbeknownst and yet when it arrived, there was no gainsaying.

+++++++

:cool:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, I was so happy to log in and see this one up!! I didn't think that you would start this until the Diary Challenge next year, so this was a pleasant, pleasant surprise. :D [face_dancing]

So far - I absolutely adore the title (as you knew I would ;)), and I really like the voice you have given to Lúthien. This looks like it is going to be quite the tale, and I can't wait to see it unfold. Count me in for the ride! [face_love]

=D=[:D]

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love this, More Silmarillion and the favorite part of it with Beren and Luthien

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The Silmarillion is difficult to read, but luckily your fanfic isn´t! :D

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The lovely banks of the Esgalduin river were blanketed in flowers of every hue, from the palest peach to the deepest amethyst.

Here I sang a lovely song and danced.

A soft but resonant voice came to me on the wind: Tinuviel ... full of wonder and amaze the rich voice was, and I fled from it, not wanting to be seen by mortal or Elven kind.

~~!

My undaunted pursuer followed unfazed and caught up with me on a greensward that following spring many leagues from home.

I turned to face him, my eyes as clear as the starlit sky and was struck by the sight before me: a son of Men he was, handsome and well-built, with clear eyes as vivid as the unclouded skies at noon.

He breathed the name he had bestowed upon me, Nightingale.

My heart leapt in my throat.

I moved to him as if bespelled, and wrapped him up in a soft web of a literal embrace and gentle enchantments as my Mother Melian had done to my Father Thingol so many ages ago.

My fate and my heart was taken as swiftly and everlastingly as Thingol's had been, and I yeilded unresisting.

++++++

Yeehaw, I enjoyed writing that.
    AN: Thanks to Mira for the terrific and invaluable notes. [:D] [:D]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    poetic and very visual. You can see her dancing

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, thanks. [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I am an emotive and dialogue driven writer, so it is wonderful to readh/hear that I'm making the scene tangible/visual. :cool:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    So sweet! I love the poetry in the way you're writing this [face_love]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wriggles! The words and their poetic tone just seem to fit Luthien. [face_love] [face_love]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was just what I needed when I logged on today! This was just enchanting, in a word - you really have the haunted, otherness of Doriath down pat, so much so that you really can't blame Beren for falling - or Lúthien, for that matter. But, it's in the blood for her. :p

Thanks for the wonderful update, I really can't wait for the rest of this one! [face_love]=D=

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Too true. The setting is gorgeous and the lady dancer as well. :) Besides the beauty of the words Tolkien used, and the epicness, I truly fell for the lovely places. :D

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Updates like this are like sweet wine... intoxicating! [face_love]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEE! From a superb world-crafter, that is a compliment indeed. [:D] @};-

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Meetings between us evolve quite naturally and without an overt agreement spoken. We somehow knew we would meet one another clandestinely.

We talked of our histories and would also sit in companionable silence, quite absorbed and captivated by the other’s literal presence.

Our meetings became more frequent as the weeks passed. I had thought to not seek him out too frequently, since discretion was paramount, but the desire to be in his company won out over a more shrewd decision.

My heart was light and there was a new sparkle in my eyes, and my songs held a deeper joy. I did not know if anyone noticed this new quality, but I was sure that my mother discerned a change, but I refrained from confiding in her.

At the official joining of Celeborn and Galadriel, however, my heart’s unlooked-for choice weighed heavy upon me.

I did not wish, nor did I think that I could, renounce my soul’s instinctive and eternal pull towards Beren. But still …

How could our paths ever lie harmoniously together? Yet, what happiness would we ever be able to find apart?

I did not know what action I could take, or should pursue, to bring our situation to a more desirable outcome.

When my father summoned me, therefore, and told me he had discovered my secret, I was aghast!

I had been so careful.

It was not until later that I discovered Daeron had betrayed me.

I told my father defiantly that I would bring Beren to him and we would see what would come of it.

Then I sought out Daeron, whom I had long considered a friend.

“How could you?” I railed at him, ice dripping from my voice, and my eyes as hard as stone.

“I love you, Luthien. I always have. He is not worthy of you…”

“Who are you to speak to me as if you had the right or the cause to do so?” I demanded.

He scowled and departed. If he had thought to win me by such actions, he had been very much mistaken. Even our friendship was ruined by his treachery.

+++++

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Daeron should know that betraying a girl is not the way to her heart! I hope she and Beren can find a way to be happy.

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh Daeron. :oops: That was not the way to go about it! Especially with going to Thingol before her. :(

Before that, though, her innermost thoughts and ruminations were spot on and eloquent. Talk about the most beautiful pickle to be in! [face_love] :( Your 'voice' for Lúthien is spot on so far. =D=

I am reeeally looking forward to the next parts of this, though! You have no idea. [face_batting][face_love][face_dancing]

=D=[:D]

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    It was a handful of days that Beren and I stood in the majestic throne room of Menegroth. Tapestries sparkled and chandeliers threw back prisms of light and rainbows.

Beren was little daunted by anything or anyone that he beheld. He spoke respectfully, in clear resonant tones.

My father’s bride-price made me feel like the literal ground under my feet had been snatched out from underneath me. The Hallowed Gems … the Silmarils … such heartache and tragedy had followed in the wake of their creation…!

My mother’s starlit gaze hardened as she spoke firmly against such a reckless demand. “It startles me that you could suggest such a thing. You know, as well as any of us present, the consequences of such endeavors.”

He would, however, not be moved from the stipulation.

I confided in her later and Galadriel that I had a strong sense of foreboding.

Galadriel replied: “Such is not to be taken lightly or dismissed as a girl’s fancy, not with your heritage.”

Mother frowned. “”Seldom, if ever, has your father turned a deaf ear to my advice. He is as one possessed, by what I have no idea.”

“Your suitor spoke well for himself.” Galadriel observed. “With confidence and the deepest love of you.”

I smiled. He had called me the most breathtaking vision a mortal could ever be blessed to behold. He would dare any Elf-Lord to say he had seen fairer than I, and when I sang, the nightingales stilled for wonder.

Such had been his praise of me…

Daeron had prudently avoided my company and things were decidedly frosty between us.

I figured he would gloat but he actually offered to speak in my behalf to Father. I hesitated to accept, wondering if he had an ulterior motive, but I at the same time would take aid where I could find it.

So I agreed, with a heavy heart full of reservations.

Little did I realize how very much I would rue that choice!

++++++

[face_nail_biting]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    This is my first taste of LotR related fanfic. I like it. :)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks. [:D] LoTR and Tolkien in general sets a very high bar for superb excellence. [face_love] I am chuffed to be dabbling in such a glorious fandom. :)

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    You're welcome. [:D] He does indeed. One of the most inspirational elements of these works for me is the attention to language, meaning, order, and nuance. He is a kindred spirit in a way in that he respects that names have meaning and merit. I respect that immensely. :)

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Whew! And so it begins! :( A heavy price was certainly set on her hand, but I, as always, loved Beren's steadfastness and Lúthien's determination. They will get through this. :) Wonderful too was Galadriel and Melian's input. Talk about a powerful inner-circle, even as the Oath of Fëanor works a mischief of its own once more. [face_worried]

Thank-you once again, for this wonderful glimpse. =D=[:D]

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Events thereafter unfolded in such an incredible fashion, that even though I was the center of them, I still often find them hard to credit entirely. They often had the semblance of a waking dream, even with the vantage point of having lived through them.

I was secreted in a tall tower from which I escaped via songs to beguile the wardens, and via a ladder made of my ebon-black tresses.

Huan, a majestic creature, came to me and took me to Celegorm, whom I later discovered was bound to Huan in friendship by mutual choice. I had heard of Celegorm and believed he might be of aid to me, perhaps… certainly he would have no reason to sabotage my endeavors.

Celegorm’s eyes shone as he gazed upon me. With gossamer words, he spoke to me, urging me to take refuge in his domicile. He did not agree to assist me, and when I insisted I must leave, even if he would not overly help, he denied me free passage.

It was a lovely estate, but I was walled in as securely as if I were still inured in the tower.
    Celegorm pressed a suit of courtship upon me, but I was staunchly opposed and let him know this with no hesitation. I realized that he had this as a motive for keeping me captive. I determined that he could keep me for all time and I would not budge from my heart’s resolve!

Before I could despair, however, a miraculous opportunity opened up before me.

+++++++

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Even with the obstacles in her way, I love her determination to be of help to Beren. [face_love] Celegorm certainly is the last person looking to help Lúthien on her quest, that's for certain. [face_worried]:(

As always, I am most definitely looking forward to more! :D =D=

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yup looking forward for more too

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all! I love delving into this grand legend. :)

~~!

Huan is a silent source of comfort. I speak to him of my love often. I do not think my words can or will have an impact, but one night, as the moon is in waning crescent, he comes to me and speaks! Wonder of wonders! He tells me of a hidden path that he has discovered while Celegorm is out on patrol and that we must not delay!

I smile in awestruck gratitude and accept his offer to ride him as if he were a stallion. I do not demur but give a curtsy of thanks and we are off.

As the night wings towards the dawn, I do not know what the morrow will bring, but hope is stirring within. We reach the bridge approaching Tol-Sirion and I sing a song of power, liquid and strong.

I know that Beren is within, for Huan has heard it bruited about that he is. And so my song is also woven of fortitude and love.

Suddenly, over the abutment, a pack of Wolves appear and at their head is one more fearsome than the rest. It is Drauglin, I recollect from childhood tales.

My heart stops but only for a split instant, as Huan leaps into the fray!

+++++

[face_nail_biting]