main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Tom and the River Daughter (LotR) Updated 4/25/2010

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by HelloKelly, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    Title: Tom and the River Daughter
    Author: HelloKelly
    Summery: Tom leaves his comfortable home in Bree and goes into the wild seeking adventure. Instead he gets more then he bargained for by falling into a forbidden romance.
    Time: Before the Hobbit. Back when Tom was young and mortal.
    Additional Notes: I don?t own Lord of the Rings. I?m just borrowing from Tolkien.

Tom lay awake long after the sun went down. The moon was up in the sky smiling down on him. Crying for him to climb out and lay under her. In the tall grasses of the meadows she seemed to be calling for him. The call had been there awhile always tugging on his heart but lately he had pushed it deeper. So deep that he could no longer feel it except on nights like this.

In his childhood he had always been able to respond the cry of nature but now he was too old. He was too mature for the simple pleasures of the grass beneath his feet and night air in his lungs. No longer able to frolic in the fields he had settled to sitting in a desk and writing the memoirs of the old men in the town. With his flowing script and sympathetic ear he was the most wanted scribe in all of Eriador.

Yet even with business going as well as it was he still found himself alone in his parent?s home. All of his siblings had followed the proper path. They had all married and settled down in their own little houses and raised their fat little children. Some had followed in their father?s footsteps and became blacksmiths.
    But he had always been the pathetic outsider in the family. His only wish, despite the encouragement or lack there of from his family, was to become a writer. As a child he had always filled pages with eloquent stories of adventure but now as an adult he found himself filling the same pages with the boring details of lazy obese men. Their lustful fantasies written out on paper like facts.

His family had always laughed at his fantasy tales but even those had a shred of truth to them. Some old legend he?d dug up, the ones he wrote now. Not so much. And so as his childhood slipped into manhood he found himself compromising his earlier visions to satisfy his family. From writer he became a scribe, from adventurer he found himself reading scrolls, and from living outdoors he was living in his parent?s home.

Many men in the village had tried to set him up with their daughters and like fools thought he would leap to the altar with them. Stupid old men trying to pawn off their daughters for any man with a lustful leer to sweep away. That wasn?t what he wanted. A woman?s heart was to be won not given as compensation for a job well done.
    So he remained un-married and untamed. They tried as they might to tame him by shackling his will to a chair or to a woman but all of those efforts failed. For nothing could extinguish the call of nature in his heart. Nothing except himself.

To be continued

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool beans! Kelly! Awesomeness! Goldberry! [face_dancing] If you start a PM list, put me on it please!

:D

[:D]

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is very interesting!! Tom Bombadill intregues me. I've not seen much fanfic written about him, so I'm very interesed in this! I can't wait to see more :)

4. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Tom Bombadil. Really?

Lol I'll read it but not so sure if I'll like it.

5. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    Tom sat in his office and dutifully wrote whatever the man across from him said. His father impressed upon him the importance of this particular scribing for weeks now. It would be the first time he would be scribing for an official; their mayor to be exact. As the voice droned on another softer voice began to speak. It was so much quieter then the Mayor?s booming voice and yet Tom soon found that he was paying no attention to the louder voice. The voice grew in strength as Tom paid more and more attention to it.

It didn?t take long for Tom to realize that the voice was in fact singing. It was a sweet bell like voice that even though it was dainty it carried power. Tom became so enraptured by it that all else seemed to fade away. That is until a hand came out and slapped him in the face. He glanced up. The mayor was standing before him his face beet red. He was yelling about something or other but Tom didn?t care anymore.

He had already zoned back in on the voice that made him feel alive again and he quickly left the room. He followed the voice out of the town square and into the streets. With each step he took it grew louder and louder until it was all he could hear. It filled his head and drowned out every other noise. And yet he still craved more.
    He trailed the voice all over the small town until he arrived back to his parent?s house. His mother tried to stop and talk to him but he brushed past. His father saw this and stood to his feet. He grabbed Tom by his shoulders and was about to lecture him on respecting elders but Tom was already gone.

The voice seemed to be coming from his room and he burst through the door. There on his bed was the source of the noise. A small butterfly. Tom stared at in shock. A butterfly singing? Before he could ponder this however the insect lifted off from his bed and flew out the window. Tom stood there uncertain of what to do. He glanced behind around at his room and reflected on his miserable life for a full second before leaping out the window after it. He had come to a crossroad in his life and he had made his choice. Although looking back years later he knew it was no choice at all. To continue a life of despondence or to live in one of adventure. No, it was no choice at all.

To Be Continued

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice to see this updated. Tom seems harassed from all sides so of course adventure seems attractive -- I have no doubt he'll wind up with more than he expects :D

7. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Ok. I take back my words. I will definetely be reading further. Please add me to your Pm list!

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting!! I'm glad Tom decided to take off and live his life the way he wants :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.