main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Tom Clancy's The Division

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DANNASUK, Feb 20, 2016.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Available for open BETA. Been playing it for 24 hours and, well, I kinda hate it. In many ways, it's much better than Destiny but it is more brutal and punishing for solo players.

Anyone else tried it out? thoughts?

2. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I tried it but I found it boring. The concept is interesting but the game just wasn't fun for me.

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Pretty much my thoughts. Loved the back story, but found the game to be boring at times (granted, it's BETA) - yet it was frustrating going solo. Some of the missions almost punished you for daring to try them alone.

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    A multiplayer focused military shooter from Ubisoft? Yeahhhhh, gonna pass.

5. Legolas22

Legolas22 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2016
    As a solo gamer, I'm going to pass on this one. The game mechanics were ok, but nothing too impressive. The Dark Zone is a pretty neat concept but it just wasn't very fun in my opinion. Also, Dark Zone will only be as good as the community allows it to be. I can already see trolls ruining the experience for others. I also do not like loot based games (most notably destiny). So yeah, while the division looks promising for some, it isn't exactly my cup of tea.

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Understandable, and this isn't the first comment I've seen in regards to this posted. The DZ to me was actually an interesting place to be, but part of the problem was that you had around 24 players (which I think has been said that the DZ will cap at players wise) in an area that is rough 1/4 of what the final size will be on the map. Saturday and Sunday I couldn't round a corner without running into another player. As to the comment about the community, well in an city where there is supposed to be in a lawless state..... Groups of rogues ganking players is going to be a thing.

I played the hell out of the CB and OB. I don't have a console, so I've been playing on PC which it seems where the exploiters/hackers have been. I think I ran into far more of those people in the CB than the OB. Though, it is enjoyable to be part of a mob chasing a bunch of guys during a manhunt. :D As far as the story stuff goes, the second mission was actually pretty fun alone.

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the premise, but I don't think realistic FPS and loot based RPG will mix together well. Destiny is sufficiently sci-fi and fantasy for the concept to work, but realistic just doesn't work in my mind's eye.

8. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I dunno, I threw out any idea of it being realistic when I had to pump a magazine into an NPC to kill him. Or in the elite cases, maybe two mags. It's an RPG at it's core, so to me I just threw out any idea that this was going to be like Rainbow Six Siege where I can one shot opposing players in the face and get the kill.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the problem, man sized targets should die quickly to a firearm, so I don't think the realistic coat of paint on a loot based RPG will work.

10. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    It's an RPG, this should be expected. In all reality, in other RPG's where a sword is used the other person should likely fall from the first or second strike.

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands looks vastly more entertaining than this game was.

12. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Reminds me a lot of Metal Gear Solid 5 based on the trailers honestly. Probably will still play though.

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

I noticed that in the Dark Zone; some teams would just hunt out random, lone players.

14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah that happened. It happened a lot more often towards the end of the betas when everyone was bored and just wanted to mess around. In the closed beta it wasn't odd to see groups of 10 rogues wolf packing it at the end of the beta when everyone had capped out and found pretty good gear.

15. MasonicGoo

MasonicGoo Jedi Youngling

Feb 29, 2016

How many players can enter the dark zones? I can find that.

Also I heard there are invisible hackers in the beta, is that true?

16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Last I heard it was 24 players per instance/server. That may change though because one of the complaints in the closed beta (but I felt different) was that there weren't enough players in the Dark Zone (DZ) so people didn't always run across another player. Even though the DZ was a little under 20% of the final size in the beta, I felt that in the open beta I couldn't round the corner without seeing another player.
    The invisibility (and invincibility) was a glitch that happened in the closed beta under specific conditions, but from I can tell was fixed in the open beta. There were some other issues, but I didn't personally see them in the betas. Ubisoft has said that there will be anticheat software, but part of the problem at least in the closed beta was that a lot of the stuff was client side and a server check for validity would go a long ways towards preventing a decent amount of cheating.

FYI, exploits and glitches that players take advantage is not something that Ubi will necessarily ban people for. I base this on my experience from Rainbow Six Siege where exploiting the ability to leave the building and kill the attacking team at the beginning of the round.

17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    A few Twitch streamers are showing The Division all day; might check it out and see what the game is like.

18. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Watching Angry Joe's review, the gameplay looks a little smoother but it still might feel clunky, not sure. I was severely let down by the beta, it felt way less smooth and a lot of the little environmental features didn't feel as flushed out as they advertised, it also looked a lot less 'pretty.'

Granted that's what beta is, but two weeks from launch and only a few days is a demo, I highly doubt the devs could have fixed the issues in that time and did what Ubisoft does again like with their last few titles; notably AC Unity and Watch Dogs.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I've heard they've gone for a Diablo style grind - brutal, but rewarding.

I'm still undecided about picking up the game; really didn't like the beta and thought it was too punishing for solo players.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think that's one of my main beefs with this game (aside from the clunky movement and gunplay). I think certain settings can work better as far as RPGs go, but when you're setting your RPG in a more or less realistic world as modern day Manhattan, I dunno, my mind expects tangos to go down with one headshot or at the very least a couple of body shots. And if you're wearing a beany and clothes that absolutely do not look like armor but the game insists that it is, I'm like...wha?

Long story short, I played the beta for all of fifteen minutes before I went back to Destiny. It simply did not appeal to me at all.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's what I've been hearing.

Division makes you want to play Destiny.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have heard it referred to as Diablo III meets a cover based shooter.

23. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I haven't played the game yet, but I like the idea of a non-swords-and-sorcery non-sci-fi RPG.

Speaking of that, is "The Taken King" worth getting? I heard that it improves upon the original in almost every way.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes, I'd say it's worth getting.

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Taken King is fantastic.