Tom Hanks to Appear in Star Trek XI?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Brandon Rhea, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    This was first reported on SciFiHaven on 12/29/05 and has since been reported on other sites:

Rumours have been dropped into the Sci-Fi Heaven news box today of a possible Tom Hanks appearance in the next Star Trek movie. According to our source, should Erik Jendresen?s script be chosen for production (Paramount executives are rumoured to still be analysing the script), Tom Hanks has been penned in as a possible star.

Tom Hanks, one of the movie industry?s most desired talents, previously worked with Erik Jendresen in writing a teleplay for the hit mini-series Band of Brothers.

The move would be a dramatic one for ?Star Trek XI - The Beginning? and feature perhaps the biggest name to move into the franchise since Patrick Stewart took on the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

Please note that Sci-Fi Heaven.net cannot confirm any of the statements contained herein, and that until confirmed by an official source, all information is to be treated as a rumour.
  2. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't know there was going to be another Star Trek movie. Someone told me that the last one was, well, the last one.
  4. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    That's the most random thing I've heard in a long time. Why would a mega-star like Tom Hanks hitch his wagon to dying franchise like Star Trek? I thought the last movie was really terrible, and the last few TV shows quite dull and lifeless.

If Hanks is thinking to reinvent it in a completely new light, I could maybe see it working, but mainstream has zero interest in this franchise right now.
  5. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hanks is too recognizable to be in a Trek movie. Take away from the story definitely if any. There's been a lot of famous people in Trek movies, Christopher Lloyd, Brock Peters, Christopher Plummer, Kim Chatrall, Malcolm McDowell, F. Murray Abraham. Hanks just doesn't seem to fit the genre unfortunately.
  6. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wasn't it Hanks who was originally cast as Zefram Cochrane in First Contact, before he had to pull out for his directorial debut?
  7. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 4
    I think landing a megastar would be the only thing that could help Trek get back into the limelight at this point.
  8. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That'd be interesting if it is true. That could be one of the few ways left for Star Trek to get back on its feet, having a big name star to draw people into the theatres. But I was under the impression that ST is done for an indefinate amount of time.
  9. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    It's kind of strange to think of Tom Hanks in Star Trek, but I suppose it could work. [face_thinking] Trouble is, Trek really did sink itself. I tried to like Enterprise, I really did, but I just couldn't. And Nemesis was just terrible. I think Trek needs some time out of the spotlight if it's going to recover.
  10. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    interesting. it would be interesting to see what kind of character he would play.

[ForrestGump]Life is like a ship full of klingons. you never know what you're gonna get.[/ForrestGump]
  11. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    I wonder what his character would be like, if he's cast that is.
  12. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    That could be intresting.

~PK~
  13. JamesBatista Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's, uhhh, unexpected.

Tom Hanks is one of the best actors today(And perhaps ever), but I'm not so sure about him with Star Trek... I agree his starpower would DEFINITELY overwhelm the premise.
  14. ZebulaNebula Force Ghost

star 5
    Big-name guest stars seem to wind up as big villains. Really Uber villains. Although, which classic will Hanks be quoting?
  15. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I couldn't see this happening.

I really liked Nemesis - I think it was profound and very artfully done, though it was a much darker and sadder twist on the TNG-verse than I expected. I really think that movie was supposed to be the end of the franchise, though. If nothing else, I don't think there's enough talent there to be able to bring back storylines with the drama and profundity we were seeing in the heyday of TNG and DS9. That doesn't mean there isn't any potential for the future, but as long as Brannon & Braga are in charge, I can't see anything good coming along.
  16. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    You know why the last Star Trek movie didn't do too well?

Because it was too good to be a Star Trek movie. It wasn't the boring tripe that the series was. It threw Trekkers off guard.
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Actually, the last movie didn't do well because some idiot thought it'd be a brilliant idea to release it at about the same time as The Two Towers.

Nemesis wasn't the best Trek film ever, but it's far from the worst.

Enterprise, on the other hand, really did rather suck until it's last season, and by then it was too late.

It'll be interesting to see what premise they go with for Trek XI- we've gotten at least two or three possible routes said to being mulled about relatively recently. There was talk of a Mirror Universe film that would feature Archer, Kirk and Picard, as well as a post-Enterprise/pre-TOS one that would be more of a grittier war story (Romulan Wars I would guess) focusing on a new character who wasn't a starship captain and wouldn't be set mainly aboard a ship either.

I could see Tom Hanks fitting into the latter possibility.
  18. AT-AT_Commander Force Ghost

star 4
    Tom Hanks could always be made up so much you wouldn't recoginize him. but I hope they do make more star trek down the line. I have enjoyed mostly everything under the Star Trek Name. i always thought Star Trek was like Pizza, even when its bad its good.
  19. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I think Hanks is a good enough actor to mould into any franchise. I think this would be a pretty great thing actually. It would give the Trek movies that big name cache they've been lacking outside of the original cast (because they pretty much had to be there). With the greatest respect to Abraham and McDowell, Hanks is in a different league altogether - a rare example of a huge name actor who can really, really act his socks off. Quality actor, and a possible broader appeal. It's win win.

I completely agree. Nemesis is infact, my favourite Trek movie. I think the Picard / Shinzon and Data / B-4 storylines parallel each other perfectly... removing (to me) any sense of a cop-out in Data's demise. Just as Shinzon's upbringing him precluded him from mirroring Picard, so does B-4's upbringing preclude him from ever being more than a pale immitation of Data. The potential is there in both, but neither can ever fulfill it. At least, that's how I see it.
  20. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked Nemesis.

I think Tom Hanks could play a role; I think he's a good enough actor he could do just about anything. But I personally can't see him playing in Star Trek. It would be for me like reading a SW fanfic in which Earth animals are referenced, or something. It would just pull me out of the movie.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>It would be for me like reading a SW fanfic in which Earth animals are referenced<<

You mean like rats, ducks, dogs and horses? ;)
  22. battlewars Jedi Master

star 4
    he shows focus on intellectual ideas like they did in the best of tng then i will watch. but its more dumb action like the next gen movies or enterprise then forget it
  23. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, 2ndQuest. Just like that. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.