main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tommy Morrison confusion...

Discussion in 'Community' started by vin, Mar 30, 2016.

1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

Just finished watching Rocky V.
    Who are the ad wizards that came up with this one?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Anti-AIDS lobby.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While I have seen Rocky movies multiple times, I think I saw Rocky V once on VHS decades ago and don't feel the urge to revisit it. Rocky canon goes Rocky - Rocky III - Rocky IV - Rocky Balboa - Creed.

4. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Didn't he beat (a middle-aged comeback) Foreman?

[​IMG]

5. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Rocky V was pretty bad, but still kind of entertaining. Maybe I'm drunk though.

When you first see Tommy Morrison you think it's an obnoxious extra, but then it turns out he has one of the main roles. The Don King clone was pretty much **** too.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I dunno how Rocky V would be more satisfying than Rocky Balboa, though. Rocky fights the Ultimate Fight in the (extremely montage heavy and corny but still works) Rocky IV and then in Rocky V he's poor again and it's like the first movie? Balboa does such a good job of making Rocky come full circle (And Creed as well) that I'd feel watching Rocky V now would just be redundant. I really like Rocky III and Rocky IV but they're certainly not the character pieces / underdog story that makes Rocky / Balboa & Creed so worthwhile. III and IV are almost cartoons but they're really entertaining.

My mind is basically completely blank on Rocky II and Rocky V. I know in II he beats Apollo Creed because they "race" to the top rope at the end, but, y'know, the opening of Rocky III sums that bit up real well.

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Yeah. Rocky III is a nostalgia trip, so I can't really rate it as a film. The cartoon characters, the music, the Cold War theme, it's like the 80s in a--anyway, I can't think of the word/expression as I'm drunk but I'm sort of fond of Rocky III because I remember it so well.

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    There is an acceptable amount of leaf in this food pic

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not if that leaf is the vile cilantro.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"Rocky III" is still a character piece with Rocky having to deal with facing fear and feeling guilt for Mickey's heart attack. The only underdog part is that Rocky's three years older and not as strong as Clubber Lang. So it is still worthwhile. "Rocky IV" does have the underdog angle, but the problem is that you know he's going to win and so much of the film got cut by Stallone, that it feels incomplete. "Rocky V" does still work despite the next two films, since we still see Rocky struggle to deal with retirement and his inability to fix his problems. "Rocky Balboa" just took it further by having Rocky decide to fight in order to get out all the rage and helplessness that he felt at Adrian's illness and death.