main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyway, I did go to the French Laundry recently. That was pretty fun. Only Michelin 3 star I've had the chance to eat at so far.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    [​IMG]

Gourmet.

Darth Guy likes this.
  3. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000

I recently found out that they have a vegetarian tasting menu and starting drooling. =P~ Next time I'm in the bay area I'm going to try to get a reservation.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Get it early.

I'm such a picky eater that I can't possibly call myself a gourmet but I forced myself to eat every last thing there even though there were so many veggies. But it was actually pretty decent. It helped that there was such variety.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003

I WAS THERE.

Also,

[​IMG]

@};-

dp4m likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I tried this tonight (option 1). I have one thing to say: ^:)^

mavjade and dp4m like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    hudzu -- I think I have finally -- finally -- gotten the hang / secret of properly resting meat after cast-iron cooking. I feel unstoppable!

hudzu likes this.
  8. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Some people don't salt their pasta water? WTF.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Most people have way too much salt in their diets to begin with. Not salting pasta is one of those things you can do at the margins to reduce your sodium intake, along with not eating much processed food, which is the big one.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but it tastes bland and then you end up having to salt it before you eat it anyway, so better to salt the water before boiling the pasta than overload with salt after just to eat it.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    or just adapt yourself to a slightly blander taste for all foods.

Zapdos and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Did that when I was younger. I seem to like my foods spicier was I get older.

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Jabba, this is supposed to be about good food, not about healthy food :p

And Juliet316 has a point. If people salted their food properly while cooking instead of adding salt afterwards, they'd limit their intake considerably (I won't even go into the super-processed food debate, that doesn't remotely qualify as food in my view.)

ShaneP and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Spicy =/= salty

You can get your food less bland by using more herbs & spices. I think that makes it easier to cut down on the amount of salt needed.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  15. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Can I come drop some cake-related salivation in here? Apple cake soaked in cider, peanut butter mousse, and salted caramel. It's ahhhmazing.

And best restaurant/best meal would definitely go to Le Bernardin. I went for my birthday 2 years ago and that meal still sticks with me, especially the cocktail and the crispy black bass. Everything was perfect.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I trust xblackout on cake related matters.

xblackout likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

There is never a bad meal at Le Bernadin. Never.

Also, I forget which one, but since we were on books before, one of Eric Ripert's books is pretty good but I don't recall which one... :/

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Fat Duck are opening in Melbourne while the Bray location is being renovated, I put in to the ballot for seats.

They were $525, so I think I'll be giving that a miss. :(

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've never added salt to a dish in my life.

Zapdos and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I forget who, but I wandered into Aussie FF years back and you people gave my parents recommendations for Flower Drum in Melbourne -- they STILL talk about it and it's like almost a decade later...

21. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    fall menu rollout on my third day of work: carrot soup with kale pesto; ricotta toast with pickled mushrooms, shaved carrots tossed in lemon vinaigrette, and beet chips; gnocchi with root vegetables, brussels sprouts, wild mushrooms and carrot puree.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I thought so too, but while it's slightly salty, it's not overbearingly so... and I don't particularly like salty things (other than olives). I think the arugula cuts the salt flavor way down.

I used to never add salt to anything until I realized it really brings out the flavor of things and as long as you don't have CHF or use a ton of it all the time, it's amazing what foods have flavor you never noticed!

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    We had our big yearly party for our anniversary today and cooked the quarter of a wild boar that was in our freezer. Yes, we somehow found ourselves in the possession of a quarter of a boar (don't ask), meaning one leg and some belly and loin. All in all it was 14 kg (including bones) and it provided a feast for 15 adults and 6 children. In case you don't have a quarter of a wild boar at hand, our source says that you can use 3 pork shanks instead - and if you don't need to feed 15 people, just adjust the quantities accordingly. Without further ado, here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
    1/4 of a boar or 3 pork shanks
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 branches rosemary
    3 bay leaves
    2 branches thyme
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
    2 apples, peeled and cut in quarters
    2 stalks celery, chopped, including the leaves
    1 handful Corinth raisins (or equivalent - it's the tiny black sour ones)
    500 ml white wine
    4 tbsp honey
    4 tbsp petimezi (I can't find what that's called in English - it's basically unsweetened grape juice that's been boiled down until it becomes syrupy. I guess molasses would be an adequate substitute.)

Preparation:
    Put the meat in the biggest oven plate you have (I used the oven's metal sheet, the one that's 7 cm deep). Wedge all the ingredients wherever you can, except the salt, pepper, honey and petimezi. Mix the latter 4 ingredients in a bowl and use the mix to glaze the meat.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 130°C for 10 hours. Yes, you read that right: 10 hours. Before serving, remove the aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 200°C, so the skin becomes crisp and caramelized.

The recipe we found (which was for pork, not boar) says that you should pour the gravy through a sieve into a bowl and wait for a few minutes until all the fat floats to the surface so that you can remove it. We followed the steps, but there was no fat since it was a wild animal, so we served it as it was.

The recipe also said that, if you're in a rush, you can bake the pork shanks for 3 hours at 250°C (instead of 10 hours at 130°C) but I'm not sure if that would be enough for boar.

It was amaaaazing. The 10 hours were definitely worth it, the meat was soft like butter. And the gravy was this thick, black, sweet-and-sour thing that was simply to die for.

We served it with boiled potatoes. And now, I'm going to crash in my bed and digest. Burp. :)

Findswoman , Ender Sai and mavjade like this.
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Here's an interesting conversation I had on another thread - I'll try it soon :)

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm making brunch Shakshuka next week!