main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    As I've gotten more and more into bread baking, I've found the biggest thing is to get comfortable with yeast. If you're using fresh yeast, it's pretty easy and you can just toss it in with some warm water and then get on to adding the rest of your ingredients. Active dry yeast is a little more fickle and it's just a matter of using the right temperature liquid (without using a thermometer, the best way to measure is liquid as warm as you can keep your finger in it for 15-20 seconds without it being uncomfortable) and letting it get nice and foamy before continuing with the recipe. Oh, and feeding that with some sugar to help the yeast activate!

And never be afraid to add more or less flour than a recipe calls for. Humidity and elevation will play into your breadmaking. I don't know how many times I've had to add significantly more flour to a recipe because I'm staring at a bowl of goo.

It's honestly just one of those things you have to dive into and keep at until you get comfortable with it. You may end up with some semi-failed recipes, but that's how you learn!

harpua Chyntuck

Chyntuck, Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've always wanted to make monkey bread.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    spring is in the air, the tomato plants are sprouting (one's doing a little too well?)
    [​IMG]

Ewok Poet, Juliet316 and Chyntuck like this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Easter lunch today. It was just the two of us, but we meant business.

[​IMG]

And this was for dessert, but we saved it for later *burp*

[​IMG]

And now, siesta time. Life is so difficult...

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What's that on the left of the first pic?

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's called kokoretsi - seasoned lamb offal wrapped in intestines and roasted, and it's fabulous if you're into that sort of stuff. The traditional Easter meal normally further includes a soup called mageiritsa, which is also made with offal, but I didn't bother this year. It's way too much trouble to prepare and my butcher doesn't sell the offal all cleaned up and sliced and diced for it (which is kind of lucky because I think I'd be dead now if I had another mouthful of food [face_skull] )

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sounds offal... (groan)

Actually I like some offal - chicken/turkey livers, for example. When I get a turkey for Christmas I make sure it has giblets because I like to saute/eat the liver while the turkey is cooking.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I hear you. Bought some tomato and spice plants to plant yesterday.

Chyntuck and Darth Punk like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I planted too last weekend -- mostly herbs (parsley, dill, basil, etc) but also some rocket and spinach, because dp4m pasta has become the standard backup plan in this house and it's nice to have fresh greens available 365 days a year for that recipe ;)

I also planted two avocado stones over the winter and they're coming along nicely.

Flapjack4 and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    No herb has ever survived more than a month here and I don't know why. Basil, thyme etc. die within a week, rosemary holds up for a while, but not enough. Tips?

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    My former prime minister has been lying on TV for the past hour, so here's an updated index of this thread -- this time I included recommendations for foods and restaurants as well as recipes. (I also merged the "old" index in this one, can a mod please update the link in the OP?)

Boba Nekhbet recipes
    Chyntuck recipes:
    Darth Morella recipes
    dp4m recipes
    Ewok Poet recipes
    Ezio Skywalker recipes
    Findswoman recipes
    Healer_Leona recipes
    hudzu recipes (you may want to reduce the quantities, unless you have an army to feed ;))
    JoinTheSchwarz recipes
    mavjade recipes
    xblackout recipes
    Miscellaneous
    • Bread making tips -- part 1 -- part 2
    • Ideas for Christmas meals - starts here
    • Ideas for Easter meals - starts here
    • Ideas for juices and smoothies - starts here
    • Tips to fry stuff - starts here
    Rogue's food reviews are all compiled here. Other stuff recommended in this thread includes:

Recommended reads
    Recommended dishes (no recipe)
    Recommended restaurants & stores
    Fancy cooking tools

12. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Thank you for doing all of that Chyntuck!

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's awesome!

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    hell yes. excellent work.

Chyntuck and TahiriVeilaSolo69 like this.
  15. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    That post is amazing. Thanks for compiling it, I'll definitely be coming back to it.

Okay y'all, (Dave, cover your eyes) I got a heck of a rock hard stale baguette and the internet mostly tells me my options are breadcrumbs or bread pudding. Anyone have a killer bread pudding recipe they've used before? I've done my own googling and I can always go with Martha's, but I thought I'd prefer a tested one if it's an option. I've never made bread pudding before.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    These in pots or in the ground? Basil is very tender - frost will kill it if it's outside. Rosemary likes it on the dry side - I have had a few plants in my garden for years. So far frost/snow hasn't killed it. I don't water it extra - I just let the rain do it. (I'm in the southern UK). Not sure on thyme - never tried it. But I don't think it's tender like basil.
    If these are in pots it could be a case of too much water and not enough drainage. If on a windowsill maybe not enough sun.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We're making pineapple cobbler!

Rogue1-and-a-half and Chyntuck like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2009/JUN/33668.html

This is from Carmine's, a family style Italian restaurant in NYC. The cookbook on the bottom of the recipe has more, but I can vouch for the chef and the dish.

Boba Nekhbet and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    You're welcome, everyone :) Thank *you* for the cool recipes and reviews.
    I'm terrible with plants in general, but herbs I seem to manage without a problem. For parsley, dill, coriander etc I just put the seeds in a pot and they do their own thing (the Mediterranean climate obviously helps too, my pots stay on the balcony year-round). Rosemary, thyme and oregano I got years ago as small plants and re-potted them, they seem to be immortal. The only useful tip I have is never to put basil in the same pot as something else -- the basil will kill the other plant pronto.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    I might also suggest a savory bread pudding. I don't have much experience with them in general, but it's my understanding that they're incredibly forgiving and easy to work with. Really all you need is a custard to soak the bread in and that's what's going to bind it together. I'd suggest you saute garlic and shallot with spinach, drain the juice off, and mix the spinach in the pudding with a nice soft cheese like goat or feta and maybe some onions or peppers and some crumbled bacon or something. Serve it up as a side with a steak or some grilled chicken.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chyntuck and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You could try this, although I'm not sure if this is what you meant when you said "breadcrumbs". It's traditional food, no haute cuisine, but that's what we do with stale bread in my homeland.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Why was I convinced that migas includes eggs? :confused: (Not that this recipe sounds bad AT ALL!)

I was saying yesterday that I wanted to have fresh spinach at home, and today a family friend who lives in a rural area outside of Athens visited and she brought a mountain of stuff from her garden, including a huge bag of spinach, so it looks like I'm going to be eating a lot more spinach than I ever bargained for. Tonight I made spanakorizo (spinach rice) -- a really yummy traditional dish that doubles as great comfort food because it's all soft and mushy. This is a cheap-Greek-food-out-of-my-childhood thing and there's no proper, standard recipe for it, so here's what I did this time, but the variations are endless -- you can also make lachanorizo (cabbage instead of spinach) or prasorizo (leeks), or combine spinach and leeks, etc.

I chopped up 4 small onions and fried them in olive oil in a big pot until golden, then I added some spices (salt, pepper, ground cumin, ground paprika, coriander seeds), lowered the heat and added the spinach leaves (the quantity was about what you can stuff in a supermarket bag). No need to add water at this point, I just covered the pot with a lid until the spinach "shrank" and then I added a big mug of rice (that would be perhaps one and a half cups) and a big mug of water. I mixed a bit and I let simmer until the rice absorbed all the water and spinach juice, and that's pretty much it. When serving what makes this dish special is to squeeze half a lemon on your plate -- it really brings out the flavour very nicely.

Everything in that recipe is kind of optional. I also make it without onion, or sometimes I put herbs instead of spices, etc. I like my spanakorizo with a lot of green in it but you can also vary the quantities depending on your taste. It's also a great way to recycle leftover rice -- in which case you don't need to add water, just let the rice absorb whatever juice comes out of the spinach.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The Tex-Mex version of migas is more of an egg dish.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

In pots, in the kitchen. We have moderate heating in that part of the apartment in the winter and it's pretty hot in the summer.

A friend has rosemary in her garden as well and it grows well, but I don't remember her trying to grow anything else. My paternal grandmother had just about everything in her garden, including berries. I feel like a failure here.

Hmmm, so would you recommend planting them on my own, as opposed to *buying* those small potted plants from the supermarkets and trying to take care of them at home?

In my case, the plants stay on the balcony from mid-April to mid-to-late-October or so.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Well, I'm not one to recommend doing anything because I'm known to have killed plants just by looking at them [face_skull] but I plant everything from seeds every year (except the "dry" herbs like rosemary, oregano and thyme) and it works for me. When the winter is really mild they even survive from one year to the next -- right now I still have some parsley that I planted last September and mint I planted last spring. The stems have become so thick that I could probably use them for the fireplace though.

Ewok Poet likes this.