main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes - the foodies' thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chyntuck, Sep 24, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've never had good coleslaw. How do I change this?

Chyntuck and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I've had a leg of lamb in the oven all after noon, stewing in fresh plum tomatoes and herbs and spices of course. I'll finish it off by dumping a ton of fresh spinach into the stewing tomatoes and serve it with yellow rice. Nom
    The leg was like $20. The leftovers will become shepherds pie.

Chyntuck and xblackout like this.
  3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've got blackened lamb shoulder chops going in the cast iron skillet. In another skillet a bit of olive oil, spinach with many garlic cloves, lime juice, pine nuts and craisins. Also corn muffins just out of the oven.

[​IMG]

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Can someone please recommend a recipe for a dish that fulfills the following requirements?

1. It should use up that stupid can of coconut milk I got tired of seeing in the kitchen cupboard,
    2. It shouldn't be a soup,
    3. It shouldn't be too hot and spicy, because Mr Chyntuckopoulos doesn't like hot and spicy,
    4. It shouldn't send me on an exploration mission in the central market to find fancy things like lemongrass and other exotic foodstuffs.

I checked the index already (I need to update that at some point) and it seems that my choices are chili chicken without the chili peppers or Thai-style soup without the soup :(

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Chicken tikka masala.

Can probably just dump like 1 kg boneless chicken cubes, the can of coconut milk, a can of good stewed / crushed tomatoes, and some fragrant-not-hot spices in a slow cooker. As easy as can be.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks heaps :)

7. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Tapatalk did something unfortunate. It's like the world's worst version of "reading thread titles down the page."

Picture of Chyntuck's delicious piglet under here, FYI for the uninitiated/faint of heart.

[​IMG]

8. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    You could also try this -- http://africanbites.com/one-pot-caribbean-jerk-chicken-rice/

I just made it today because I have more coconut milk than any one person could ever need (opened a 10 pound can only to use around 90 grams). Just a fair warning, this makes A LOT of rice. I'm not sure how 2 of us are going to eat it all over a few days...

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Here's a shiny new index of stuff in this thread. Can you tell it's Saturday afternoon and it's too cold to go out? :p

mavjade Can you please update the link in the OP?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Boba Nekhbet recipes
    Chyntuck recipes:
    Darth Morella recipes
    Darth Punk recipes
    dp4m recipes
    EmpireForever recipes
    Ewok Poet recipes
    Ezio Skywalker recipes
    Findswoman recipes
    Healer_Leona recipes
    hudzu recipes (you may want to reduce the quantities, unless you have an army to feed ;))
    JoinTheSchwarz recipes
    Master_Lok recipes
    mavjade recipes
    mrsvos recipes
    xblackout recipes
    Miscellaneous
    • Bread making tips -- part 1 -- part 2
    • Ideas for Christmas meals - starts here
    • Ideas for Easter meals - starts here
    • Ideas for juices and smoothies - starts here
    • Tips to fry stuff - starts here
    • Tips for eggs - starts here
    • Chips injected with malt vinegar :confused: -- starts here
    • Spices -- starts here
    • Foods for children -- starts here
    Rogue's food reviews are all compiled here. Other stuff recommended in this thread includes:

Recommended reads
    Recommended dishes (no recipe)
    Recommended restaurants & stores
    Fancy cooking tools

10. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Does anyone have any recipes for very salty soups or stews that are not spicy, but have more complex flavour than just salt?
    I need to eat more salt but I'm finding that I'm entirely bored with the typical soup + salt. I am trying to figure out how to hide the salt with other flavours. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Something like a Black Bean or Split Pea with Ham?

Also, not sure and Chyntuck can confirm, but the Greek soup Avgolemono might cover it, or certain Mexican chicken soup recipes?

Chyntuck and Admiral Volshe like this.
  12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Potato and bacon.

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Also, one of my favourites - Beef Bourguignon. But, set an afternoon aside for it because this is a dish that demands slow cooking, but totally worth it when you get the flavour.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/food-safaris-beef-bourguignon

Also, cannot go wrong with a Lamb Tagine:

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/moroccan-lamb-tagine

14. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Admiral Volshe As dp4m said, avgolemono is certainly an option. Another trick you can consider is to add plain yoghurt to your stew/soup -- yoghurt "kills" the taste of salt and spices, so it'll give you an incentive to add more salt just for the taste of it.

"Avgolemono" means "egg and lemon" and you can add it to pretty much any soup or stew that doesn't have tomato in it, and it will make the broth more creamy. For stews you'll also want to thicken the broth a bit with a white sauce base.

The basic rule of avgolemono is that you beat the egg with the juice of one lemon first, then add a bit of broth and beat some more, and then put the mix back in your stew/soup. If you don't do that, you'll find yourself with pieces of omelet floating in your soup [face_sick]

The most common avgolemono stews are:

1) Pork with leeks and celery root: chop the leeks finely, brown in oil on medium-high heat, add the meat (cubed) and toss around until cooked on all sides, add the celery root (cubed again), plus salt and pepper, cover with water and let simmer until done. You can also add chopped celery stalks, including leaves, for more flavour. When the meat is cooked through, prepare a white sauce base (flour fried in oil), add a few ladles of broth as if making a béchamel, whisking continuously until it becomes thick and creamy, add the egg/lemon, then put all this back in your stew pot at let simmer a bit until your sauce thickens.

2) Lamb with lettuce (yes, you read that right, lettuce): brown some finely chopped onion, add the lamb, salt and pepper, cover with water -- not too much water, only just, because the lettuce will release a lot of liquid -- and let simmer. When the meat is almost done, add lots and lots and lots of lettuce leaves and dill (you want LOTS of lettuce and dill, because they will wilt to practically nothing, like spinach), cover the pot and simmer some more until done, then make a sauce as described above.

I don't have any firm quantities to give you for these recipes because it's all a matter of taste, really -- you can put as much or as little vegetables, herbs and lemon as you like. I use 1 egg and the juice of 1 lemon for 1 kg of meat, but you can put more or less depending on what you like. I like my sauce quite creamy so I use 2-3 heaped tablespoons of flour for 1 kg of meat, but there again it's a matter of taste. There are people who skip the white sauce base altogether and just add the egg and lemon to the stew.

Another category of dishes that works well with avgolemono is some varieties of stuffed vegetables, e.g. stuffed courgette, stuffed cabbage, stuffed vine leaves, but that's not really something you can cook in small quantities (as in, smaller than family size). Would you like me to post those recipes too?

And lastly, avgolemono soup, a.k.a. the soup that cures everything according to Greek grandmothers. The most basic version is just chicken broth with rice (as much or as little as you want, depending how thick you like it), and you just thrown in the egg/lemon mix at the end and simmer for a few minutes (no fancy white sauce here, the rice will do the job). You can replace the rice with cracked wheat, and add pretty much any veggies you like. I use mostly root vegetables like potato, carrot, onion, leeks and celery root, but other veggies such celery stalks, green peas and courgettes work well too. You can also add any herbs you like, obviously -- dill is a national favourite but you can also do parsley, oregano, bay leaf, take your pick. And if you want your soup to be a bit more sour, you can add yoghurt to it too (and then more salt ;) ); just add the yoghurt to your plate and not to the pot while it's still boiling, because the yoghurt will curdle.

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Stolen from the Lit social thread:

Juliet316 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A local store has a Death Star one but it's a different version. You can see the item here on Amazon UK. I've thought about buying one but it's rather large and my counter space is limited.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I love that, but we already have something ridiculous like six cutting boards. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    So, a lil while back I noticed that we had some cute lil bell peppers hanging around our walk-in, not being used. I pickled 'em. They would have just gone to waste otherwise. So why not preserve them, give 'em some character and flavor, and use them in something special a bit down the line? Sliced them up thin and pickled them with some garlic cloves, ginger, and sliced shallots. Bagged it, vacuum sealed it, and stuck it in a miscellaneous pan in the walk in. Every day, for the past few weeks, I've given that bag a lil slap, just to help flavor distribute.

Today, we ran a special built around my peppers. Seared Tile with cornbread puree, beer-battered fried poblano's and my pickled peppers. My dorky pride aside, I honestly think this was one of the better tasting things I've put into my mouth in a while. The peppers themselves were delicious. The garlic and ginger permeated the bell peppers and combined into this nice, biting spice. The poblanos brought a mild, crunchy (and deliciously greasy) heat to it, while the corn bread puree countered with a sweetness. The Tile was a neutral enough fish to convey all of the different flavors and textures at play, while adding some complexity of its own.

[​IMG]

darth_gersh, dp4m, mavjade and 4 others like this.
  20. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    just use enough salt when you cook your normal food to make everything taste truly amazing and i guarantee you'll get enough salt in your diet. failing that, look for heavier soups with a chicken or beef stock as a base. typically, you season the dog**** out of those kinds of proteins, so anything built around a heavy base like that will have sodium all day every day. try some french onion soup and get a nice salty cheese to melt over the top of that ****er.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm reading a pretty interesting book at the moment, and I mention it here because it is food-related. How Not To Die by Michael Greger, MD takes a look at the most common ways of dying (cancers, diabetes, high blood pressure, diseases of individual organs - brain, liver, etc, Parkinsons) and foods that are scientifically proven to prevent and reverse disease. Most of these foods are plant-based (vegetables, fruits, grains). If you have gone vegetarian or are looking at eating less meat in your life you might find it interesting as well.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    You know you're in Paris when it's 11 am on a Saturday and all the bakeries have already run out of croissants :mad:

hudzu, Juliet316 and Darth Punk like this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Admiral Volshe how about a gumbo? Easy as you like, lasts for days. Make a roux, chop some garlic, carrots, celery, peppers, ocra. Stick it all in a big pot of water. Add chicken thighs, chopped chorizo, prawns. Add sage, oregano, thyme. Bring to the boil, then simmer all day.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  24. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not good to read this thread on an empty stomach.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.