main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tomorrow Can Wait - *New Post* 20th Nov: FINISHED AT LAST!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Okay, Healer Leona has inspired me to dust this one off and repost what I've written of it. I never did get round to finishing it and I reckon it's about time that I did! :) So, hopefully I can keep it going this time round...

Thanks Leona. It's a sad story, but this one's for you! :)

Tomorrow Can Wait

By Jemmiah

"Can we talk?" Evla asked Jemmiah over lunch, watching as the Corellian girl stuffed a section of melon into her mouth with all the gusto of a hungry Sand Hamster. The very sight of the way she and Obi-Wan had been bolting food away ever since they had been rescued from Urior caused Evla no end of sorrow, although she supposed in Obi-Wan's case there was no real noticeable difference, at least none that Qui-Gon had managed to detect. He'd always been a quick eater, and a world class refrigerator raider when his master's back was turned. Evla didn't know where the young man fitted it all because he was trim and limber with hardly a spare piece of flesh round his middle.

Or so Jemmiah had claimed.

"Wearrrrrrrretalking." Jemmy nodded as she munched, wiping away juice from her mouth. She pointed at the fruit as she cut herself another large segment. "Thisisgood!Havetogetsomemoreofthis."

"Pardon?" Evla queried. "That might as well have been in Rodian for all I know."

"I said," Jemmiah chewed at the mouthful for a few seconds until she could make her words intelligible, "that the fruit was good. You should have some. I feel guilty eating away like a Gamorrean."

"Yes, well you need some fattening up." Evla took hold of her daughter's wrist and examined the thin flesh over the bone that was taking an age to creep back on.

"I won't get fat on this kind of thing. Let me at the Takkini chips for a month and I'll be back to my usual shapely self."

"Uh-uh. You know what An-Paj said. No rich foods, no spicy foods, no?"

"No enjoyable foods." Jemmy pouted. "It's not fair! Do you know how much I need chocolate right now? I'm going through withdrawal symptoms. I mean, this is nice but it's no substitute." She replied, starting to work on the second melon segment. "Better than ration cubes though."

Evla winced at the memory. She would be happy if the word Tildas were never mentioned in her presence again. So many people had suffered, so many were still suffering?it made her heart ache to relive those moments again. Since she'd channelled her energies into helping Jemmiah recover her own problems had been shoved to one side and Evla had been glad about it. Jemmy needed her and was the sole focus of her attention. Personal suffering was forgotten, dealt with in the blinking of an eyelid and cast away as of no consequence. Funnily enough, she had felt stronger as a result. An-Paj had warned her to slow down and have some time for herself, that she needed care as much as Jemmy did but Evla's determination had only increased.

Indeed An-Paj had been astonished at just how well she had been doing. It was almost as if the whole diabolical aftermath of the Tildas affair had given her a purpose and a further lease of life?

She wasn't stupid though. Evla knew that the time would soon come when all that would end and the energy that came from force knew where would cease to be. And when it did?

That was why she needed to talk to Jemmiah. She'd been putting the deed off for months now, telling herself that as long as she looked alright and her outward appearance did not give away the severity of her condition she would say nothing to cause her daughter any consternation. When Jemmiah had been brought back from Tildas she had been the one needing the care and skill of the healers. There was simply no time and place to hold confessions of the type she would soon have to indule in .

"Have you taken your tablets?" Evla fussed.

"No, not yet." Jemmy pulled a disconcerted face. "That's the bad part to all this. I can't believe I've been forced to become a pill popper for the rest of my days! I feel sooooooo happy about that!"

"Better that than not be around to pop pills in

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    YES! I LOVE THIS ONE! THANKS JEMMY FOR REPOSTING!

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Uh oh... Evla dying I take it?? :( Poor dear...

This is great! :D can't wait for more!

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yay, we get to read this again and this time we'll see the ending!!! YIPPIE!! :D :D
    And a big AWWW at the dedication Jem.

5. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Hooray!! I am so happy to see this being reposted! So many questions left unanswered that will now hopefully be answered!

Grrrr... When I see that skank Lauria's name I want to ewxtract a revenge on her she'll never forget!

More please!! :D

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    YES! DEATH TO LAURIA!

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yay!! A repost of one of the ones I never got to read!

*Skids to a halt*

NOOOOOOO!!! Not the Evla-dying one!! :( :(

Lovely beginning, Jem! I'll make sure to go stock up on tissues before reading it. :_|

8. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    He's a Jedi. There are devices that control such primitive impulses. It's called 'Qui-Gon'

ROTFL! Excellent, managed to get in at the beginning this time. :)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yup, agree with that one.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This is so good I barely have words! Let me just say it was an exquisitely satisfying read. I can't wait for the next ten pages! :D

11. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    "Padawan, I'm sure you will be fine. Just relax." Qui-Gon brushed himself down, removing one or two stray hairs that were sticking to his robe. "It's only a dinner dance."

"Master, I am such a bad dancer. What are people going to think?" Obi-Wan pulled a miserable face that Qui-Gon found strangely amusing. At the back of his mind he began to wonder if he wasn't actually beginning to enjoy watching younger people suffer, now that he himself was of an age group to look back and laugh. The disgruntled look on his apprentice's face was genuine enough however and he elected to answer helpfully rather than with a comment that might actually hurt the young man's pride.

"Padawan, if it's that important to you why don't you have dancing lessons?"

"Pardon?" Obi-Wan's mouth fell open, as if his master had suggested he eat one of his own socks.

"Dancing lessons." Qui-Gon answered, admiring himself infront of the mirror.

"Me?"

"It's you we are talking about." Qui-Gon tilted his head to the right, finding yet another clump of grey hairs beginning to grow in. He sighed to himself. He wasn't vain by nature but that didn't stop him from regarding this gradual slide into middle age as an enemy that had to be ignored at all costs.

"Who ever heard of a jedi getting dancing lessons?" Obi-Wan tried to peer round the side of his master so that he too could see the mirror, an impossible task, as Qui-Gon was a much taller and broader individual than himself.

"I did." Qui-Gon replied, facing his padawan.

"Y-you?" The smile on Obi-Wan's face cracked wide open until it became and amused grin, accompanied by a chuckle that set his master's teeth on edge to hear it. "You got instructions on Alderaani waltzes?"

"Amongst other things." Qui-Gon shrugged, remembering his own initial reaction to the suggestion. "My sabre co-ordination wasn't as good as it should be. So I was offered the chance to improve via a rather unusual method."

"Does Master Berlingside know?" Obi-Wan smirked.

"No! And you are NOT going to tell him!" Qui-Gon warned him. "It would be all round the temple by sunset. I'd never hear the end of it."

Obi-Wan considered his master's words. Jemmy liked dancing, that much was true. He had never particularly cared for it but then that had a lot to do with the fact he was particularly bad at it. Perhaps when Jemmy was better she might consider going to dancing lessons with him? That way they would be spending more time with each other than they usually did.

Lately it had been a nightmare. Hardly a moment to themselves, and with An-Paj's strict edicts on top of all that?

//Just like the good old days of sneaking around and stealing a moment here and there whenever we could. Only this time we have to stick to a 'hands off' policy.//

"I'll think about it, master." Obi-Wan said after a moment's consideration.

"Good," Qui-Gon replied lightly as he finished grooming his hair, "it won't do you any harm at all. It will improve your balance, your co-ordination and your footwork. And maybe it will gain you some plus points the next time you have to dance with a lady, rather than having to call for an emergency chiropodist."

"I'm not THAT bad!" Obi-Wan sniffed.

"Padawan, you are the only person I have seen who can reduce a line dance into a skittles alley. You knock one person over and then 'whumph!' They all go down."

"That was an unfortunate accident." Obi-Wan grimaced.

"It was for Senator Jakka's wife. You managed to tear the dress off her back as you fell. And then you got entangled with her corset strings?" Qui-Gon reminded him.

"Okay! I admit it, I am a useless dancer." Obi-Wan darted infront of his master to procure his turn at the mirror.

Qui-Gon glanced at the chrono and sighed.

"The hardships we have to suffer as ambassadors of goodwill." He muttered. "Wine, women and song. Or in your case song, because you aren't able to partake in either of the first two."

"Why can't I drink?" Obi-Wan glowered.

"Because you are being tested on your sabre skills tomorrow mornin

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, poor obi. I'd like to see Quiggy waltzing with me...

13. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    OH man!!! LMAO!! Loved this!!!

//They are STILL at it!// Qui-Gon thought irritably as he watched Jemmiah kiss Obi-Wan back with a fair amount of ardour. //How does she breathe? How long are they going to be? Why am I watching?am I some kind of closet pervert?//

And his quote on 'it's a hard life...' Priceless!!

Great work! Loved this!!

(edit: Opps booboo)

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Obi-Wan could definitely use dancing classes... Hopefully, it would make the big, loveable oaf a bit less clumsy. ;)

Wonderful chapter, Jem!

15. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Bravo! As fantastic as ever. ROTFL at Qui-Gon preening in front of the mirror and at his musing over the kiss.

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Like others I was amused the way Qui-Gon preened in front of the mirror... though certain thoughts of his left me with a great big smile on my face. :D [face_love]

One wonders why Obi-Wan is even going to this dance. He might actually cause a disaster should he take to the floor, he can't drink, he can't eat too much, and now he has a test for the following day... poor Obi-Wan.

Superb post!

17. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Yay, glad this has reappeared. Three cheers for Leona for achieving something I couldn't in making you post and finish this! :p

Loving the characters as always.

18. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    I'll second you on that cheer Calam! I'm so glad someone got Jem to repost this and I've got the tissues all ready. ;)

I know a way Obt can get out of his test! Threten to tell Dexy about some certain dancing lessions! [face_dancing]

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm glad to finally see Jemmy in red!

20. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Thanks Ish! :) It's nice to be in red again! Anyhow, here's the next part of teh story. Enjoy!

Rela lounged along the floor, trying to ignore the hole in the carpet made by a certain padawan of both her and Jemmiah's acquaintance. It had been there ever since the night she had loaned the use of her apartment to the couple so that they could?get more familiar with each other away from the constant supervision of Qui-Gon and Evla. Being a secret trashy romance reader Rela had been pleased to help her two friends out at the time.

True, she had ended up sleeping with Dinkos and insects on a badly sprung sofa whilst Jemmiah had been sleeping with Obi-Wan in Rela's comfortable bed but it had been a gesture she was happy to make. Until she'd come back to find Obi-Wan hopping around in the nude, her neighbor unconscious from shock on the floor, the floor of the shower awash with water and her bed covered in doughnut jam and sugar. As for the 'items' she'd found in the sink?

Just to top it all off there had been a mysterious hole burned into the carpet, caused by the hot sauce that Obi-Wan had dropped whilst eating some greasy Corellian fast food.

Jemmy grinned as she stared at Rela's brooding face, watching the red head try and pull the rug back over it.

"That's our perforation." Jemmy smiled, sighing. "The one that Obi-Wan made whilst he was pigging out on spiced sausage."

"Don't be sickening." Rela smirked back.

"Can't help it! I'm in love!" Jemmy clasped her hands to her breast and laughed at herself. "Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"Well," Jemmy shrugged, "I suppose I am. I don't have anything to compare it with so I don't know. I've never been close to loving anyone else. I've had plenty of things to NOT compare it with."

"What, like Zac, Jay and Gethin?" Rela elbowed her friend insinuatingly.

"Amongst others, yeah."

"So," Rela returned her eyes back to the holoscreen, watching some costume drama she'd flicked on whilst bored, "When did you know that Scrubby was THE one?"

"Dunno." Jemmy paused, wracking her brain. "Maybe when I realized that the smell of his socks didn't offend my nose as much as it used to."

"Ever the romantic." Rela snickered, nodding at the screen. "Hey, what do you think of him in the britches?"

"Not tight enough." Jemmy pursed her lips.

"Who, him or the britches?"

"Both!" Jemmiah laughed, watching the man stagger down the gangplank of some sailing ship. "I'd prefer him if he split them. Or took them off."

"Imagine saying that after what you said about Scrubby!" Rela tutted at her friend. "You're busy telling me he's the love of your life and there you are, ogling men's bottoms!"

"That was never an ogle!" Jemmiah protested, rolling on her side to get a better view. "Half an ogle, maybe. That was a clinical examination of the facts before me."

"I know the sort of clinical examinations you like." Rela countered wickedly, popping a chocolate in her mouth. "The kind that Gethin likes to give, yes?"

"Leave Gethin out of this." Jemmiah answered in resolute fashion. "I'm fond of him but that's where it stops. I'm with Ben, and I'm perfectly happy with him. You see, what I had with Gethin was just fifteen minutes of lust. What I have with Ben is something much more fulfilling, more mature?Whoa! He's a bit of alright!" Jemmy crawled closer to the screen, hands and knees. "Now that is what I call a nicely sprung rear!"

Rela began to chuckle at her friend's antics, relieved to see the Corellian up and about and acting more like her old self again. There had been a time when that had never seemed likely. Things had been difficult for everyone following the Kaligari disaster and some were still only coming to terms with it now. Jemmiah?she'd bounced back pretty quickly, leaving Rela to wonder at the drive that powered the indomitable spirit.

"If that's mature, I'm a Hutt's auntie!" Rela laughed.

"Huh? Oh, no harm in looking." Jemmy batted her lashes coyly. "I mean, if I'm passing a cake shop on Corellia and see a pastry I fancy, doesn't exactly mean

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    How did I miss a post? ARGH! VaderLVR whacks herself in the head in shame! This story is so beautifully done that it is a true joy to sit down and just let myself wallow in it! That's a compliment by the way, anytime I can leave the sounds of the kids behind and just "BE" in a story, it must mean it's good!

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwww I've been lurking since the first post [face_blush] Very wonderful job so far! I love the characters and the idea of Obi-Wan taking dancing lessons is very amusing :D Brilliant job on all of it!

23. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great! Excellent with the 'tight butt' *snrk* that was funny! The movie scene and talks was great! Her getting all depressed was sad... but good ole Rela ;) she'll always getting her back to smiling :D For all she needs to do is to reiterate the facts to Jem ;)

Great post!!!

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    "Maybe when I realized that the smell of his socks didn't offend my nose as much as it used to." --or perhaps your sense of smell has been diminished by being around them too long??? :D :D Can't blame a girl for looking can can you??? It's only holvids anyway! LOL!

25. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Sometimes it takes talking to a friend (who is not a Force user) to get perspective on things. Now if Obi would just pay for the carpet...

That reminds me, I need to go watch a certain seafaring hero movie. I haven't watched it in at least a week. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.