main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tomorrow Can Wait - *New Post* 20th Nov: FINISHED AT LAST!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm looking everywhere for a new post, but I think I should first look for Jemmiah under a pile of skimpy clothing. ;)

2. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Your wish is my command! :) And thank you for the birthday wishes! :D

"Aren't you enjoying the vid?" Jemmy asked after an hour or so had passed. "We could put on another one if you don't like it."

"Are YOU enjoying it?" Evla asked decisively.

"Yeah, it's not bad." Jemmiah confessed. "I like the supporting male lead. He's kind of cute."

Evla chuckled at her. "In that case it's fine with me."

"But you were sleeping again." Jemmy sighed. "I saw you. It can't be that interesting if you're falling asleep all the time."

"I saw your head nodding as well!" Evla countered.

"Yes, well I'm tired." Jemmy shrugged. "But I won't be beaten! I'm going to get through this holo and then I'm putting on a vid of your choice. What will it be?"

"My choice?" Evla put down the book she had been reading. "Anything at all?"

"Yup!" Jemmy answered.

"Okay?" Evla thought about it for a moment, considering what she could choose. "How about 'Temptations of The Heart?"

"You must know the lines to that by now!" laughed Jemmy.

"I even know the lines belonging to the window cleaner." Evla answered. "And he didn't have any lines! I suppose it's the same reason you keep rereading old books. You like the words. They're familiar and comforting."

"Unlike the book you are reading." Commented the Corellian girl. "You've been reading it for months. Haven't you got to the end?"

"I'm only four pages away little Miss Smart Mouth!" Evla bantered with her daughter. "Anyhow, I am taking my time and enjoying it."

"Okay then." Jemmiah decided to humor her guardian. "I'll let you away with that. As soon as this one's over I'll put your vid on."

Evla looked around her, unhappy at her inability to make her confession. She HAD to tell her. Not telling her would only make it more cruel when she did find out. And it had to come from her?

"Jemmiah," Evla began to say as Jemmiah sipped at her small glass of wine.

"Uh-huh?" Jemmy asked, not removing her eyes from the screen.

The older woman sighed.

"Nothing." She said sadly.

"Qui-Gon." Finis 'Othello' Valorum smiled warmly at the tall master. "How are you enjoying the evening?"

"It's proving to be a great success, by the look of it." Qui-Gon turned round and watched the chattering, excitable tide of humans and non humans in the huge ball room, thronging their way round each other like ants on a mission.

"Very good, but I asked if YOU were enjoying yourself." Finis broke into an assured smile. "I suppose that's what comes of playing the diplomat for so many years."

"I'm sorry." Qui-Gon admitted. "That was not polite of me."

"Not at all."

"I am finding it somewhat difficult to enjoy myself." He confessed, watching the silvering brow crease slightly. "It's nothing to do with the party, more to do with my own problems."

"Do jedi have problems?" Valorum inquired.

"Believe me, the headaches a jedi suffer are every bit as real as that of anyone else. Sometimes worse." Jinn answered calmly.

Valorum nodded, knowing exactly what Qui-Gon was alluding to.

"The Kaligari business." His face darkened. "Believe me, we will catch whoever was responsible for this terrible deed." The man gazed perceptively into the blue eyes of the jedi. "I see your padawan made it along. Where is your young girl? I haven't seen her since the debutantes ball last year. She quite outshone everyone there."

"I doubt Senator Moesti agrees with you." Jinn said under his breath.

"Yes, well it certainly brightened up my evening." Valorum nodded. "I must say I expected to see her here."

"The truth is," Qui-Gon admitted with a considerable amount of guilt, "that I never passed the invitation on to her. She was simply not well enough to go and I didn't want her over taxing herself." He wondered about the somewhat disappointed look on the man's face and began to feel rather uncomfortable. Finis Valorum was a very fine man and a useful ally, but on the sly he was an inveterate womaniser, leaving Qui-Gon rather glad that Jemmiah was safe at home.

"Do gi

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrrr.. she almost told her again. That's so very frustrating. And I hate frustration!! "Do jedi have problems?" well D'uh!

That last line is so very telling.... :( :(

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    JEMMY, YOU'RE KILLING ME!

5. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    You just stay away you... you ... Finis 'Othello' Valorum! I know the real reason you invited Qui-Gon! [face_shame_on_you]

Evla!! [face_frustrated] You had the perfect oppourtunity! Time to get out the tissues... :_|

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Eep! Happy belated birthday, Jem! :D

Ew... sorry, just thinking about Valorum and ... ew.

Awww... *takes a tissue from Mouse* the suspense is worse, Jem. :(

7. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! :) Glad you're still reading even although it's mostly a repost.

Qui-Gon felt slightly foolish being the only one of the three jedi present in the gigantic ballroom to be up and dancing. It was true had had added height that made him perhaps a little more elegant then either Dex or Obi-Wan, and his padawan's somewhat rounded shoulders -currently drooping in disgust- did perhaps detract from what was otherwise a reasonable appearance. Dex had always been fond of flirting and looked on dancing as a form of social foreplay. Qui-Gon wasn't sure why his friend was sitting in the wings this evening. Usually he was the first one onto the dance floor, intent on giving the ladies a good show like a preening bird displaying to potential mates. Perhaps it was out of deference to Krelo? Perhaps he just hadn't gotten over the whole damned Kaligari business? And why should he?

Why should any of them?

//It's still leaving its mark on all of us.// The master thought grimly as he linked arms with a middle aged but willowy lady of obvious good breeding. //I've not wished for anything to go away and leave us in peace as much as this nightmare?not since Xanatos, at any rate. It?s different when it's your own self-pity and personal tragedy you wallow in, but when you see your friends affected like this too it becomes difficult to take in.//

Frankly, the idea of Dex with anything other than his habitual Corellian smile on his face seemed ludicrous. As for Obi-Wan, he'd tried his hardest to put what happened on Urior behind him as quickly as possible because Jemmiah had seemed determined to do the same.

//Sorrow has left its mark on him, too.// Admitted Qui-Gon silently. //There are times when I look at him and I see a man old beyond his years.//

It could be mighty hard to reconcile the two paradoxical images of reckless youth and sagacious control the padawan presented. Obi-Wan was concerned for Jemmiah's welfare just as he was and no doubt that was what was playing over and over in his head right now, probably wondering why he was 'enjoying' himself while she remained behind under enforced curfews of all description. Clearly, Obi-Wan's preoccupied expression showed he was not delighting in the evening festivities. The dancing was perhaps the final straw?

To his surprise, Qui-Gon found that HE was enjoying himself. It was a pity that Leona had not been invited along as his partner but the Chancellor had his own ideas about guest lists. Once more Qui-Gon found himself wondering just why Valorum had been so keen to see Jemmiah again.

//Finis wouldn't try anything, especially after what happened with the Kaligari being lost. I know he feels responsibility for it as the ship belonged to him. Maybe he's trying to make amends.// He looked once more at the subdued Dex and the moping Obi-Wan and sighed.

//This is wrong. I should be the one sitting this out, not them. If anyone deserves to have a good time after all that has happened it is Obi-Wan and Dex?//

WHACK!

Qui-Gon felt himself collide with something solid as he looked the other way at the two astonished figures by the wall. The something solid gave a feminine scream, followed shortly by a seismic tremor as the full weight hit the floor with an almighty thud. The person next to Qui-Gon flew to aid the unfortunate victim of the master's unusual clumsiness, tripped and brought Qui-Gon down with her. The first Flipperphant sized lady accidentally kicked him in the shin as she tried to raise herself. Feeling a slight sense of déjà vu the master stretched out his hand to push himself up with.

That was when the lady who had tripped stood on his hand with her lance-like stiletto heel.

Tears immediately came to Qui-Gon's eyes. Tears of pain. He made a mental note never to engage Jemmiah in an argument when she was dressed to go to a ball. It was far too dangerous, he thought, wincing as he looked down to see the shoe still embedded in the skin - minus it's owner.

"Are you alright, sir? Oh, I am sorry." Rasped the w

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    To quote everyone in Star Wars,
    "I have a bad feeling about this."

And LOL!! Aww, poor Qui-Gon! And OUCH! I know what it's like to have your hand stepped on by a heeled shoe.

Excellent job, Jem!

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    At least it's not the time someone ice-skated over my hand. Now THAT hurts.

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehe poor Qui! That hand is gonna be sore for a few days! hehehehe

Uh oh! Well you better hope she was serious when she said that she had a boyfriend already! Never know!

Poor Jemmy... Evla is beating around the bush in not telling the girl.

Great work!! :D

11. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    o_O

Hellooooo??

Could we have another post please? Or will I have to get down to some serious begging? ;)

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'll join the begfest.

13. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Oh...okay! :) Seeing as you all begged so nicely! :D

As her eyelids began to prise themselves apart, sleep gluing them together at the corners like a rusted hinge on a wooden chest, Jemmiah managed to somehow swim against the darkened realms of the unconscious and struggle back into the land of the living. She groggily wondered why it was taking her such an effort to wake up like she usually did after falling asleep on the couch. Every time she made an effort to pull away from the warm fuzziness of slumber something tried to claw her back.

And each time she had let it happen.

//Not this time you don't.// she managed to roll slightly to her right, knocking over a glass bottle as she did so. Fortunately her crusted eyes managed to register that the bottle was empty and so there was no need to panic before Evla woke up and saw there was a mess. Blurred as her vision was Jemmiah could make out the gentle hiss of static that indicated the holo film had come to an end as she had slept.

//Didn't miss anything.// Jemmy thought through her fogged up mind, wondering exactly how much she had managed to drink?Sith, An-Paj would kill her dreadfully! Concentration seemed to be eluding her at every turn, making her wonder if this was infact not part of some bizarre dream.

"What time is it?" she wondered out loud, voice sounding slurred and strangely unlike her own. "I can't make out the chrono?damn!" her hands caught one of the glasses on the table that DID have wine still in it, sending it skittering off the edge and onto the floor. "Damn, a thousand times damn! Infact forget damn?this merits a Kriff!"

Jemmiah - eyes still half clogged with dried mucus - bent down onto the floor to retrieve the glass and looked around to see if there was anything she could use to mop up the wine that had no doubt soaked right into the pile of the carpet. She'd chided Evla at the time for getting a light colored carpet. How right she had been!

//If I don't get this stuff out right now there's going to be the most ghastly pink stain for all eternity!// Jemmy held a hand up against her head. //Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me???//

Fortunately the glass hadn't broken, it had just bounced, otherwise it might have woken up Evla as well. Jemmiah sneaked a quick look in the direction of her guardian and noticed with relief that she was still asleep.

//Good.// She thought in desperation. //Should give me some time to get this cleaned up a bit better.//

Shakily, Jemmiah headed off to the kitchen area to find a cloth to soak up the wine, hoping that she would manage to get rid of the worst of it before her guardian woke up. Funny, but no matter how hard she tried in situations like this Jemmiah always found herself acting like a frightened, naughty schoolgirl worried of being caught out and sent off to bed with a stern lecture and a swat to her backside. Most of all she didn't want Evla to feel ashamed of her. She'd once dropped ink all over the previous carpet as a child aged eleven. That hadn't gone down at all well.

//Where are the cloths?// Jemmy scanned the kitchen with her half-closed eyes, beginning to feel slightly panicky. //Didn't we get any? Awwww, Kriff, Kriff, Kriff, Kriff!//

There was only one thing for it. She'd have to ask Evla if there was anything she could use as a replacement cloth, and that meant a confession, which in turn meant waking her up?

"Evla." Jemmiah managed to croak, giving a small cough to try and clear her throat. "Evla, have we got anything to use as a cloth? I seem to have caused a bit of an accident."

She wasn't surprised when Evla never answered. The poor woman had been every bit as tired as she had been before they had drifted off to sleep. Jemmiah was inclined just to let her continue without disturbing her but she also knew that time was of the essence when dealing with a noticeable wine stain on the carpet. Evla would be sooooo annoyed if she just left it there untreated. She weighed up the pros and cons, finally deciding that her guardian would rather be awaken

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hard to post anything with tears streaming down.... :( :(

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh man oh man... poor girl!! But she felt a pulse? A real one or was it what she 'hope' was one? Ohhhh poor Jemmy... :(

Great post! How sad to wake up... my Grams woke to find my Gramps that way... it is sooo sad to wake up and find a love one no longer there. My heart goes out for Jemmy!

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I FORGOT HOW MUCH I HATE THIS PART! AUGH! No! You can't kill Evla! I don't CARE what medicine says, you keep her safe!

17. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :_|

Where are those blasted tissues! *sniff*

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :eek: :_| :eek: :_|

Jem! This is too sad!! :( :( :(

*Also scrounges for a box of tissues.*

19. Cookietribble

Cookietribble Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    Noooooo!!!!! :_|
    She`s not dead...[face_praying]*trying to do self-hypnotizing*
    ...is she? :_|:_|:_|
    Great job!!!!

More soon? Please? ;)
    Cookietribble

20. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    *grin* Hope I'm not making you too teary-eyed, otherwise how will you read on? ;)

And hi to Cookie Tribble! Great name! :)

"Tell me," the low yet pleasantly sweet voice of Obi-Wan's dancing partner enquired as she guided him through the steps of a gavotte, "what do you do at the temple? I've never yet managed to form a clear picture in my mind how the jedi live. Do you like it there?"

"I've known nothing else." Obi-Wan answered. "It is what I was brought up with. Mostly we are a very serious and focused body of people. I believe you would find us very dull indeed."

"I don't believe that." She replied with a wry smile. "You don't seem dull."

Obi-Wan felt a smile tug at his lips.

"That's very kind of you. However I have my routine like everyone else in the temple. My life sometimes takes me away to different places but only when the council finds a task they think that my master and I would be suited to dealing with. The rest of my time is spent in preparation and training. Studying too."

"Studying?" The red head wrinkled her nose in distaste.

"Oh, yes. Padawans have to study. Just because we do not attend regular schools like other children on Coruscant doesn't mean we are deprived of lessons." His blue eyes flashed with delight. "You seem surprised."

"I suppose I am." She admitted. "As I say, I have no notion of what life is like at the temple. I didn't expect to find it so?"

"Uninteresting?" Kenobi laughed, trying not to go in the wrong direction.

"Normal." She returned the pleasant smile he bestowed on her.

"Oh, we are far from normal." Obi-Wan thought back on some of the escapades that had occurred in the last few years and even before that. "Occasionally something will happen to enliven proceedings."

The girl acknowledged the distant look in his eyes, realizing where his thoughts were at that moment.

"You're thinking of her, aren't you?" she grinned.
    "Who?"

"You're partner. She must be special if she's got you worked up like that."

"Like what?" Obi-Wan blushed. "I?I don't understand. I'm not worked up."

"You're body is here dancing with me but I fancy that your mind is elsewhere right now." Her voice contained recognisable amusement. "Oh, don't worry. I'm not offended. And whenever you mind drifts away you seem to dance better. It's when you consciously think about it that your feet appear to rebel."

Obi-Wan looked down at his feet, marvelling at just how they seemed to move through the steps just like his partner had said. They somehow didn't feel like a part of him, as if the force was guiding him through the moves. Maybe he was getting the hang of it at last. Or perhaps it was because he was dancing with somebody who didn't tease his dancing prowess and openly encouraged him?

His face darkened at the thought. Just what was he admitting? That he'd rather spend time with a total stranger rather than a few hours in Jemmy's company? There was no question that he was enjoying himself here tonight - taking pleasure from dancing of all things! - which he felt was a small miracle in itself. The company had been charming and refreshingly honest, not afraid to hold court on any topic whatsoever.

His partner was extremely knowledgeable on nearly every subject he could think of, especially political matters and not just those pertaining to Coruscant. What he liked most was the open way she replied to his questions. It was the complete opposite of Jemmy, who was so secretive that it frequently made Obi-Wan want to scream.

His own girlfriend didn't trust him. She didn't even trust Qui-Gon. She probably confided things in Rela and Evla although quite how much he didn't know. Rela had always been as closed as a clam, telling him to mind his own business. Even when he insisted that it was his business she would simply inform him that a confidence was not something she would ever knowingly betray.

Technically Jemmiah was not only his girlfriend but also his wife, if Gurolian law was anything to go by. The number of arguments they had had punctuated by

21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    hehehe Uh oh Obi! You're in for it now! You are soooo lucky that Evla... well not lucky cuz it isn't a good thing that the woman has died... or is she dead?

Great work! Poor Qui... the message he's gonna get ain't what he's expecting.

22. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Answer it Qui-Gon! Trust me, you're going to be hating yourself for not checking it earlier!

Obi... I've got an idea, why don't you go wash your hands? They seem awfully dirty don't you think? DO IT!! [face_devil]

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    *Sits forward in seat and waits*

24. Cookietribble

Cookietribble Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    *chewing on her fingernails*
    Come on, Qui, let`s hear what An-Paj`s got to say...
    *is not sure whether she wants to hear it or not*

Obiiii??? What are you doing??? You have a girlfriend, you know...*can`t hide a grin*
    But that`s so cute!!! [face_love]

Great Job-can`t wait for the next chapter!

@Jemmiah:Thanks![face_blush]I just love sweets, especially cookies and chocolate,and it just came into my mind...:p

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I cheated, read on the website, hate hate hate this part, always makes me cry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.