Before Tomorrow Can Wait - *New Post* 20th Nov: FINISHED AT LAST!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Very intriguing observation of Obi-Wan's dancing partner, to note how well he dances when he's not thinking of it. Grrr... at Obi-Wan's observation of how different she is then Jemmiah! And his first thought of disposing of her number is right!!

Superb look into Qui-Gon's thoughts about life, Dex and himself... *sigh* you always manage to capture him so well. Still... to leave us hanging with such dread.... :(
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Two days with nary an UP?! Come on, people, let's go help An-Paj!
  3. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the replies, guys! :) You can stop biting those nails now. ;)

//She's taking an awful long time just to go to the ladies?mind you I expect there's a queue a mile long. Yes, that's probably it.// Obi-Wan clutched at the napkin as if this would somehow conjure his dance partner out of thin air. //Or else I've been stood up!//

He didn't know why it had become so important that she came back, maybe because it had been one of the few days of sheer relaxation and enjoyment he'd experienced in many a week. Maybe it was because he didn't like a mystery?what was that girl's name? Why hadn't he asked?

Qui-Gon had disappeared too although Obi-Wan had no real idea where to. His force sense picked up a feeling of quiet urgency from his master somewhere nearby but wherever he was it wasn't in his line of vision. Having said that the ballroom was totally vast and heaving with life forms of all kinds. It wouldn't be difficult to lose sight of an individual amongst the crowds: not even one as tall as Qui-Gon.

The previous dance ended amidst wild applause and bows and handshakes. Obi-Wan watched as Dex bowed politely to all the ladies nearby, his entourage moving with him as he walked away from the floor like a group of flocking, migrating birds around their navigator. He supposed that most of the ladies would be disappointed Master Berlingside was depriving them of their favourite dance partner but even Dex had to have a rest now and again! As the master started to walk over to him Obi-Wan could just about make out the barely visible grimace at the sides of the man's mouth.

//Too much exercise too soon.// Obi-Wan tutted to himself. //Leona will clasp him in restraints for this, I shouldn?t wonder.//

Dex waved easily at him. "Not dancing young man?"

"Dancing's not really my thing, Master D." the reply was quick. Too quick.

"But you seemed to be managing earlier from what I saw. You and that adorable red headed creature." Dex looked around him. "Where is she, by the way?"

"The ladies." Obi-Wan shrugged as if he didn't care. "I wonder where she's got to?do you think I've been stood up?"

"Stood up?!?" Dex laughed uproariously. "Good heavens! You make it sound like a date! No," he toned down his laughter when Obi-Wan's face seemed to turn several peculiar shades of white and scarlet at once, "whatever makes you think that?"

"I'm NOT the best dancer in the world." Obi-Wan replied honestly. "She did say I was improving but?maybe she was just being kind. Perhaps she thought I was truly awful. You read about these things in flimsy journals and magazines. Woman being so repulsed by their partners that they run to the nearest fresher and climb out the windows?"

"I doubt that will have happened in this case." Dex tried to reassure him as best he could. "I know for a fact there are no windows in the ladies freshers in here."

"How do you know that?"

Dex winked.

"Anyway, how do you comprehend what's inside woman's flimsy mags?" Berlingside continued, still puffing slightly from his exertions on the dance floor. "I didn't think that was standard temple reading material."

"I know, but it's fascinating." Obi-Wan admitted. "It helps give a whole new perspective on female problems. I never knew they had so many things to contend with."

"You buy them?!?!" Dex tried not to laugh.

"No!" Obi-Wan said furtively. "Imagine the looks I would get! But Jemmy reads them. She keeps a stash of them in her room that nobody except Rela and Spider are allowed to look at. When she was in the infirmary though she asked me to sneak one of them down for her in a bag. I admit I had a bit of a read when I was in the turbo lift."

"Disgraceful!" Dex tutted.

"It is!" Obi-Wan shuddered slightly, recalling some of the more 'intimate' subject matter in the magazine. Not that it hadn't been interesting... "Some of the things in there would make a spice hauler blush!"

"I doubt that! But it was actually you I was calling disgraceful!" Dex craned his head over in the direction of the far doorway, where t
  4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Prepared WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Poor evie!
  5. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Poor Jemmy... hopefully that theory doesn't prove right... and if it does she never gets wind of it.

Poor Ev she didn't get to tell Jemmy... At least Jemmy has Qui and Obi. :) That's one good thing to think of.

Great work!! :D
  6. Cookietribble Jedi Knight

Ahhhh!!!!! :_|
    Poor Evla!!! And poor Jemmy!!! :_| :_| :_|
    It`s so sad that they weren`t even able to say Goodbye?

It`s hard not being able to say Goodbye to someone you loved-that really hurts, I know that?

But once again great work and great description of the feelings, Jemmiah!!! [face_love]

Moooore!!!! =P~

7. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Oh Obi-Wan, how quickly another girl can catch your fancy... [face_shame_on_you] See, even he realizes with his guilty thoughts he shoulnd't be with this mystery girl... grrrrr....

Things are never what they seem on the surface. Yes, but you did know and telling Obi-Wan might have been best as he could be prepared for the fallout.. though I think Jemmiah would have sensed something wrong and dragged it out of him which might not have been such a bad thing.

Now I'm crying again.... that was so sad and very well written how An-Paj theorized what may have happened.

"Not many of us will be lucky enough to claim such an end." Qui-Gon nodded sadly.-- you just had to go there too, didn't you???? :( :(
  8. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes," An-Paj said gently, "I did it myself not long after Evla died. I think she was expecting the news. She didn't seem at all shocked by it. Really there was little anyone could have done."

Screaming red light there! Jemmt not shocked... Almost as if expecting it... Qui-Gon, you're too late. She's already blaming herself! [face_worried]

Poor Jemmy and Evla! :_|

9. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    :_| :_| :_|

Poor everyone!! And yes, I agree with Mouse that Jem's gonna blame herself! :(

Beautifully written, Jem, but so sad!
  10. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Of course Jemmy will blame herself. hasn't that poor girl suffered enough?!
  11. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying...
  12. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    More please!

And Brodie says thank you to his Auntie Jem for the card. He had a wonderful birthday, and as soon as I get the face smeared with cake pictures uploaded I'll send them to you! :D
  13. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Once upon a time
    I had plenty of nothing...

I WANT MORE!
  14. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dex stopped outside the doorway.

"Don't think I'm running out on you or anything," he said in a subdued voice, "but I'm not sure my presence is required here. I don't want to crowd matters or make it any more difficult than it is?"

"That's okay Dex, we understand." Qui-Gon nodded. "You go back to your apartment. Get some rest. If Leona finds out you were dancing this evening?"

"I know!" the affectionate smile came back. He looked in the direction of the unopened door. "Give her my best, would you?"

"I will." Qui-Gon agreed, bowing in return to Dex's formal nod to himself, An-Paj and Obi-Wan.

They watched his stiff back retreat down the corridor and then round the corner until he was out of site, leaving them still hovering reluctantly by the door.

"And if you will also excuse me," An-Paj took a few steps back, "I think this is a private matter. But if you need me I'll be in my little room, yonder."

"Thank you." Qui-Gon said gratefully.

"I just wish you had something to thank me for. I rate this as one of the most unpleasant days I have ever spent in this place." The healer sighed as he to turned to leave, shoulders slightly slumped. "Yet for every Evla we cannot cure we have five that we can. That's what keeps me going on bad days. I like to think that Evla would have approved of that too."

"I have no doubts that she would." Qui-Gon agreed wistfully.

He faced the door again, Obi-Wan silent beside him.

"I don't know what to say." The padawan admitted.

"That makes two of us." Qui-Gon took a deep breath. "I dare say the right words will come."

He put his hand on the panel and the door slid gently back. Inside the lighting was subdued, possibly more than he would prefer in normal circumstances, but remembering what An-Paj had said about the lighting in the place he was not inclined to demand a higher setting only to lose his vision by a meteor-strike glare.

He spotted Jemmiah half sitting/half lying on a nearby couch and suddenly found his nerve threatening to give way.

"I think she's asleep, master." Obi-Wan whispered.

"She's dozing." Qui-Gon agreed, reluctant to disturb her but knowing that he had to. "Come on. We'll see if she wants to return with us."

Obi-Wan felt equally at a loss for words. He hadn't the slightest idea what use he could be to Jemmiah now that the unthinkable had actually happened and was mighty glad when Qui-Gon had taken the lead in this matter. Somehow Obi-Wan was sure his master would find the right words to say whilst he no doubt would flounder about like a fish out of water. He found himself hanging back for fear of crowding his lightly sleeping girlfriend, waiting to see what Qui-Gon would do.

"Tangles?" Qui-Gon placed a hand upon her upturned shoulder and very, very gently shook her. At the same time he casually tried to get a feel for her state of mind, touching her emotions with the force, but not managing to pick up on much at all. "Tangles, it's time to wake up now. Come on?that's the way."

Jemmiah stirred slightly but seemed to be somewhat confused by her surroundings. Obi-Wan felt that it was almost like watching a holofilm as he stood back and let his master take charge, dreading the moment of realization that Jemmiah would no doubt experience when she fully awakened. Sleeping would only give temporary respite from grief and as she began to shake off sleep no doubt the hurt would return to cause more pain.

Obi-Wan had no idea how he knew it was so, but he felt certain the antiseptic smell of the whole infirmary was the trigger which reminded Jemmiah of where she was even before her eyes were fully open. He wasn't sure if he expected tantrums or tears from her as the memories began to flood back - but the one thing he didn't expect was what he got.

"Tangles?" Qui-Gon tried to look into her eyes. "Do you remember where you are?"

"The Infirmary." She replied with a small yawn. "When did you come back? I don't remember?"

"Not long." The master replied hesitantly. "A matter of ten minutes or so."

"Oh." Jemmy stiffly trie
  15. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Augh! I hate Jemmy in denial. It's so heart-rending and gut-wrenching and a lot of other bodypartrelated-hyphenated things!
  16. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    *Shakes head* Poor Jemmy... it's twice as hard when you try and act like it hasn't happened. :(

Beautifully written, Jem! :_|
  17. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If it wasn't for denial I'd swear she'd been drinking... wow. Poor chit, she is in major denial for sure! Man oh man... some folks can't take the notion that their loved one(s) have passed on.

Great work! Obi and Qui have their hands full that's for sure!
  18. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Jemmy! :_|

I don't know what's worse. The fact that she's in denial or how everyone is going to take the way she's reacting. I have a bad feeling that Qui and Obi are going to make matters worse by trying to help her.

Awesome post Jem!
  19. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Jemmiah's reaction is so sad, but Qui-Gon nailed it on the head. She is sick of losing those closest to her and it's just easier for her not to deal. I'm at a loss wondering if it'd be better to force the issue or let her grieve in her own way.

And the thought of Qui-Gon going in to say goodbye has left me in tears.
  21. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yes, Jemmy's become rather adept at carrying on regardless: it's sort of what she has learned she has to do in order to carry on. Quite where it will lead her this time is another matter...

Qui-Gon had waited some twenty minutes or so before he had finally been directed towards the room where Evla's body rested. He could understand Jemmiah's difficulty in letting go. Even now, as he crossed over to the table where she had been lain he was finding it hard to think of his friend in past tense. He'd known her for so many years that the idea of her not being there any longer left him somewhat bewildered.

The face he saw as he looked down upon her was not what he had expected. She seemed neither to be peacefully resting as if sleeping, like so many people said of deceased relatives and friends, or showing the signs of wear and exhaustion as the result of a long and relentless battle with the illness that had claimed her life. The impression Qui-Gon found himself with was that of an expression denoting relief. It seemed to say 'my task is done', quietly satisfied. Whether the corners of her mouth turned up slightly in a smile or whether it was his own imagination he didn't know, but it was a comforting thought none the less.

He didn't know if he would feel moved to tears before he had entered the room but he was relieved now he was here that they did not fall, not because it was in any way emasculating but rather that he knew the force had told him to accept she had simply moved on. How many times had he chanted 'There is no death, there is the force' during his lifetime? It was only occasions such as these that brought home the truth of those otherwise hollow sounding words.

Looking at Evla, he knew there was no death.

"It was an honour to know you." He said simply as he placed a kiss on her cheek. "Force keep you Evie."

He gave her a final respectful bow and turned slowly to walk away.

Leona caught up with him outside the room where she had been hovering cautiously, not wanting to intrude on such a personal moment. He had sensed her waiting there and composed himself so that by the time he had closed the door behind him his own face was a closed as Jemmiah's had been. His own grief had, like Evla's spirit, been released to the force. Now there was only gratitude and good memories left. The hurt was gone.

"Qui-Gon." Leona reached out a hand and hooked it through his own arm, wondering how ridiculous the height difference between them looked to anyone who cared to glance their way. "An-Paj said I could find you here."

"He told you correctly." He nodded, suddenly feeling incredible tired. "I felt the need for closure. I had to say goodbye."

"I did the same." Admitted Leona. "Although I don't know how successful I have been in coming to terms with this. I will miss Evla very much. She was a good friend, especially latterly. All the healers are used to this sort of thing, we've all seen and experienced it before on a regular basis but somehow when it's someone you know it becomes difficult to detach yourself from it all and stand back. I think we didn't expect it to happen so suddenly."

"Nobody who knew did." Qui-Gon continued to walk in his aptly funereal pace, although it had more to do with matching his speed with that of the short stride of Leona than anything else. "And there are those who didn't expect it to happen at all who no doubt can't begin to understand what has happened."

"Jemmiah?" guessed Leona, disappointment contorting her face. "But Evla said she would tell her! I made her promise?"

"She was planning on telling her this evening." Qui-Gon answered solemnly. "She just never got the chance."

"That's a horrible thing to have to go through." Leona felt deeply for the Corellian girl. "You should have seen the look on her face when she called the infirmary. She was just completely stunned."

Qui-Gon stopped for a moment and enveloped Leona in a bear hug that the healer feared might smother her completely.

"I
  22. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Poor Qui :( he tried, poor thing, he tried.

Great chappie! Loved the last line there, poor guy.

Hopefully Jemmy will come to term with it eventually. I'm sure in time she will.
  23. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    My favorite line is always "Force keep you, evie." I don't know why, but that scene always makes me start to cry.
  24. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Qui-Gon. :( He just doesn't know how to handle the way Jemmiah's dealing with Evie's death. He's trying, but those Jedi tendencies keep getting in the way.

25. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yup, poor, poor everyone.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.