main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Tomorrowland

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wait. I mean, I read the Washington Post regularly, too. But are you seriously arguing there is only one legitimate newspaper in the entire universe?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What a terrible movie this was.

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Laugh It up Fuzz Ball but you didn't see us together on the south Passage......

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That the media is not actually impartial shouldn't surprise anyone - just the existence of Fox News proves it. But neither does it follow that that renders all media-produced information worthless. When you can access the entire internet by mobile being able to critically evaluate and parse information becomes far more important than access to it. This is practically what history study teaches - every historical source will have a bias, but it will still contain useful information for the careful user.

Critics are paid to be critical so they are. How much influence a person grants them is up to them. As to what ultimately determines movie success though, it isn't the critics but the box office take.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No, your casual disregard of grammar, punctuation and logic often makes your points senseless.

Sarge, jp-30 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    right, you cant constructively criticize me so you give me a low blow, that my friend is the essence of trolling;)

8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    never said all media, hence I read the Washington Post and CNN and MSNBC is not all that bad but sometimes I even turn them off and I am as Liberal as they come, I am a Progressive.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Fortunately, I'm spared the crap you have for news channels.

Whatever info sources you opt for, a measure of scepticism is healthy

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Forgot this had its own thread. I caught the film friday night. The summation a couple pages ago that it's a fun kid-friendly adventure film is pretty spot on. It's also nowhere near as terrible as John Carter or Lone Ranger (as its box office performance has drawn comparisons to). I'd argue it has more in common with (the original, haven't seen the remake) Race to Witch Mountain with a dash of 80's Spielberg/Zemeckis films.

In the end, it's not as bad as reviews would indicate, is definitely in the spirit of Disney, but falls short of being a classic or potential franchise. However, i can totally see this being a popular middle-ground Disney film as time goes on, or at least a cult hit family film.

Reposting my review from the WTLMYS thread:

Tomorrowland- An enjoyable little adventure film with noble goals and spirit, albeit one that falls a little short of them. Well acted (there are some fun characters here) and a nice sense of humor and some great moments but ultimately is an "almost classic". Would have been nice to have played with the dimensional hopping a bit more as well.

In a way it almost does feel like an 80's film (in a good way)- it just needed a little more fleshing out (the robots, the population, the 2nd chase sequence, etc) and a bit higher stakes during the finale. Thankfully its heart helps sustain the film even when the rest comes up a tad short.

The score is also an "almost there"- there are moments where you can feel it building to something that might expand into something grand, but the payoff just isn't there (which is a shame- a great score could have elevated the film as a whole). It does the job and sets the right tone but just doesn't push things over the edge.

Still, I don't think Brad Bird can make a bad film- you're going to get a certain level of quality and polish no matter what. It's just not quite Iron Giant, Incredibles or MI Ghost Protocol.

Points, however, for coming up with a way of how to make It's a Small World a potentially fun ride...

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I actually Really liked John Carter, Its biggest Problem IMHO was the Marketing of the film, Why the heck did they call it John Carter instead of John Carter From Mars?:rolleyes: I am seeing Tomorrowland tomorrow at 11:20 AM at my local regal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will come on here afterwards and review it....

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    We're waiting with bated breath...

jp-30 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I have Listened to the score on Spotify about 6 or 7 times and I think it is an instant Classic reminds me of a cross of the scores for John Carter, witch I loved, and Super 8, over all I love your review, I can't wait to see the film!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you are.....:p

14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    just saw Tomorrowland (had the TFA trailer while Avengers a few weeks ago did not)

i thought it was good.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The score isn't terrible, but it's just a little shy of being memorable or strong enough to lift the film up.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I am going to have to respectfully Disagree my friend I think it sounds very John Williams Like, and after hearing two songs each from Jurassic World And Inside Out they also sound terrific to and have great potential, I love Giacchino !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Like I said- it comes close, it just doesn't have the emotional payoff that the film could use as a crutch when it needed to.

It's pleasant, and I might even add a track or two to my library from it, but a theme with a stronger payoff to the build up would have been amazing.

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I just got back from the theater an hour ago, Right off the bat It reminded me of Minority Report mixed with a really good Epic Disney Film and I really liked Minority Report It Wasn't Spielberg's Best But It was a solid entry. The Girl in the movie was the Glue that held the picture together. as For the soundtrack, I still feel it is epic as anything Giacchino has done, one of his best, to anyone who likes Giacchino's Scores I implore you to listen to Tomorrowland's Soundtrack on Spotify!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely Liked the film, Thought It was more substantial then a popcorn flick! It definitely had that Emotional Punch at the end that you would expect from a Disney Film. One thing I don't see mentioned in any of the reviews is the great Homages in the Comic Shop of Star Wars, The Simpsons, and Planet Of The Apes if anyone wants to ad any I missed feel free, I think when I get the Blu-Ray I will be pausing and freeze framing the Comic Book Shop scenes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one more thing I saw the New Star Wars Force Awakens trailer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my movie was 2-D but the star wars trailer was in letter box or wide screen not the normal aspect ratio, the sound was incredible a lot of base ....

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    your review does not disappoint. I'm looking forward to catching this movie on my next transatlantic airplane ride.

jp-30, Darth_Invidious and Coruscant like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The trailer was shown in the normal aspect ratio, it's just that the screen/curtains were configured for whatever aspect ratio Tomorrowland was shot/presented in.

21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    that makes sense, thanks my friend!:)

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    there was A Lot of Star Wars in that comic shop scene.

jp-30 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I know, It was Great And I am surprised the media and more so the star wars fans did not make more of a deal about the comic book shop scene, like I said It was Great!

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    If only it was legible...

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The gap left by the untimely departure of slimybug has finally been filled.