main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO Tony LaRussa is on his way out.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by BobaFrank, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I was born in St. Louis, but have lived in Nashville, TN most of my life. Still, I love St.Lou, and have been a CARDS fan since, heck, since my first game ever at the old Busch Stadium was seeing the CARDS playing the Padres and the GREAT OZ was the shortstop for the Padres.

I have to say that the All-Star game worried me greatly. How do you not put the best player in baseball in the game, especially when you have a chance to win!!!!? Albert is he best clutch-hitter of our time(anybody remember the 3run homer against the Astros in 2005?) The NL had everything set up for a grand finale. Down 1 run, 2 men on, 2 outs, and Albert sitting on the bench. Even if Albert would have made and out, that was their best chance for a win. I've heard rumors Tony LaRussa is ready to move on. If that's true, c'ya later. Sure they finally won a WS, but to not play arguably the best player in baseball, obviously speaks volumes for more underlying issues that TL has w/St.Louis. Are the CARDS going to get rid of Albert or Tony? IMO, pack your bags TL. Ozzie is just waiting. Tony, you just signed your death warrant in St. Louis. I heard the Devil Rays could use a new coach.

Sorry, had to vent. Go, CARDS!!! C'ya in the playoffs.

2. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I know everybody's been arguing this, but I really think it's being overblown. Larussa's given his reason, saving him for extra innings, for not sending Pujols up to bat. Like it not, it's Larussa's style to manage like this. And yes, occasionally, when the planned outcome doesn't come to fruition, people start calling for him to be fired.

Other times, his insight makes him look like genius and people can't say enough good things about him.

I think he's a great manager. He's been with us for 10 - 11 years now, I think he came to us in '96. Since then, we've been to the playoffs 7 times and we have World Series trophy out of it. Let his record with us speak for itself.

And, on a side note, I think Ozzie Smith as a Cardinal manager would be disasterous for the ball club. He was without a doubt the best defensive shortstop to ever play the game. But he wasn't known for his ability to get along well with others in teh clubhouse.

3. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    No matter what Tony claims is his reason, many people(myself included) think the real reason for not playing Albert is that Tony was worried that Albert would somehow get injuried and the Cardinals can not afford another injury especially to a star player.

4. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Ok, if he was worried about that, then why have him there in the first place. It's a crappy excuse. TL has a lot of explaining to do.

5. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    He was there mainly because the fans and the league voted him to be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.