main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Too Dangerous To Be Left Alive

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Sosanya, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    crza no apology necessary m friend, so millions means more than 1 I assume right? So yeah Tarkin is the homicidal/genocidal king!

2. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Half, my friend, I concede the point.
    Tarkin it is.
    But, I never really realized before
    how many people Luke killed.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That's not the point though. If Luke didn't destroy the Death Star, Tarkin would've rampaged through the galaxy with it, killing millions more and enslaving even more than that. That Death Star had to go. Just like Palpatine had to go. Certainly killing an unarmed person isn't quite right, but in Palpatine's case, Mace Windu was right, that he was too dangerous to be left alive. I'm sure Anakin knew in his mind too that Palps was too dangerous, and would've taken him out too if it weren't for all that save Padme stuff.

4. HyperLightsaber

HyperLightsaber Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2005
    What I meant was, with Luke, he didn't kill anyone callously or gruesomely when it wasn't in self-defense.

However, I have recently viewed Episode 3 and I know Obi-Wan was severely hestiant about hurting Anakin. He waited for Padme to talk him around, he reasoned with him on the platform, and tried to reason with him using basic principles ("I have the high ground") just to see if Anakin still had Jedi restraint.

5. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    In fact, both Tyranus, and Sidious (and Vader, as well) "were too dangerous to be left alive!!!"

The only thing is, it turns out that a certain Prophesy told of the Chosen One, who would bring Balance to the Force and destroy the Sith.

Mace Windu was NOT the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker was.

However, Anakin only fulfilled HALF of the Prophesy in ROTS, before he turned to the Dark Side.

He ultimately had to kill Sidious and, himself, in order to fulfill his Destiny.

Sure, Anakin should have stabbed Palpatine through the heart after he told him to leave Obi-Wan on the obvervation platform of the Invisible hand...

Things would have been so much easier.

But then, there would have been no reason, at all, for the OT.

Continuity is a *****. lol

6. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Luke was fighting to save the lives of the innocent and those forced into victimhood by Jabba. Luke offered plenty of ways for Jabba to come to a peaceful resolution.

In the case of Dooku, it would have been a dangerous venture to try and take him in alive, especially considering what happened later in the rescue. But still, Anakin should have tried and he knew better. Then again Dooku was the leader of the Separatist movement so allies could have potentially come at them from all sides.

With Palpatine, he was surrounded by armies on the central system in the Republic in the heart of his headquarters and had the lawfull authority over the Jedi. Trying to arrest him would be like the Police trying to arrest The President of the United States. But Palpatine also had powers of mental manipulation and had the support of automated clones that do not think or weigh out debates. It just wasn't tactically possible or even legal to arrest him. Destroying the evil was the only way to be rid of it; no matter the consequences.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    But, I never really realized before
    how many people Luke killed

Heh, based on what we've seen of Alderaan, Luke may have killed more destroying the Death Star than Tarkin did destroying Alderaan. (If we count clones as full lives) Alderaan looks like it could be a very sparsely inhabited place, despite what Obi-Wan felt.

8. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I'd like to know what anakin intended to do with Dooku if he didnt kill him. use him as bait for grievous? I actually think killing him was the only answer, he would have died from the loss of his hands preety quickly anyway, and wouldnt be able to climb anything. Surely leaving him to die is the same as killing them. I guess the only difference in this case is that anakin killed out of anger, or at least his face says that.

In the case of Windu killing palpatine, i've said before that Mace should have just chopped is hands off so that he couldnt use force lightning, and then take him prisoner. Leave him in a confession booth with Yoda for twenty minutes and i'm sure he would confess.

9. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Well, you know, it -is- Dooku's ship. He probably could have gotten the bloody elevator working :D

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He would've had Dooku tell Grievous to surrender. That's how Obi-wan, Yoda, Mace, Qui-gon and the others would've handled it. And Dooku wouldn't kill from the lost of limbs, since the wounds are often cauterized.

Mace opted to kill Palpatine because he felt that due to his status and influence, he would never get a fair trial and the Senate wouldn't be willing to remove him from office.

11. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Mace opted to kill Palpatine because he felt that due to his status and influence, he would never get a fair trial and the Senate wouldn't be willing to remove him from office.

So why was arrest ever an option?

And the senate was corrupt. What would he do then - kill all the corrupt senators as well?

12. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think they went in to arrest him because they didn't know for sure if he was the Sith Lord. All they had to go on was Anakin's word. Anyway a lot can be learned in how someone behaves when arrested. Many factors can determine their intentions, such as if they resist, how they behave in interogation or even how comfortably they make themselves in their holding quarters.

Ultimately I think Mace may have been too hasty to march in and attempt an arrest. I think they would have fared better by playing the same game Palpatine played. Inform him that Grievous was killed. Then inform the Senate and see if they demand Palpatine give up his powers. If they choose to allow Palpatine to keep his powers and allow for an Imperial reorganization then the option for arrest could be explored; under better strategic tactics and while he is in the the presence of hidden holo recorders. If the Senate demands a release of emergency powers and Palpatine doesn't comply, now his enemies include the Senate and the Jedi. Then arresting would be much simpler.

But then it would have been a four hour movie with most likely the same scenario by film's end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.