main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Too many trailers? Less next time around?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DebonaireNerd, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Straight off the bat I admit that it's totally my own fault for not showing better self-control, but how could I? I love Star Wars. The campaign trail for this film has had me thinking forward to future films. Do we think that maybe, despite Disney and Abrams generosity, that for now we've seen too many clips of the film? I'm really psyched from what i've seen, dangerously psyched.

Do we think there's been too many trailers over too long a period of time? Personally, for future films i'd love to see them cut back somewhat. Restrict trailers to the year of release, one teaser (by teaser I mean twenty seconds of footage) followed by a longer three minute trailer within the last three months of the film's release.

As excited as we are, does anyone feel that maybe the impact of our first viewing may have been a bit over sweetened by the generosity of Disney and Lucasfilm?

One thing I do really love about all of this is that we have yet to have seen any Skywalker. That's pretty cool and has me hanging.

2. YTMND

YTMND Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2004
    There's only been three. One super short, another with a bit of length and then this "full length," which actually clocks in shorter than most trailers. I also believe it gave away less than most modern trailers.

Check out RoTS final trailer, it is basically a super edit of the movie. Terrible.

melkor834, Njfritz, jaqen and 2 others like this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ahaahha - true. It was a lengthy trailer. I guess there's also a lot of repeat footage too given that the shots seem to be from the same scenes/moments. But the action just looks so damn good.

4. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    TryWhistlingThis You're the only one I know who thinks that Disney released TOO much footage from TFA... I'd like to know what you think about the twist-spoiling trailers for Terminator: Genisys...or the 3-minute teaser trailer for Batman v Superman that came out over the summer, despite the fact that movie doesn't come out for another 5 months.

Oh, and AOTC had FOUR trailers: Breathing, Mystery, Forbidden Love and the final trailer that aired during Malcolm in the Middle in 2002.

5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I think they got it about right. Maybe the first teaser was a little too early, but the amount of content we have gotten overall works for me.

6. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

I probably cannot answer that since i'm no longer a Terminator fan and i've never been a Superman fan. But, I agree there has been a lot of detailed footage released for those film. Yes, more than Star Wars. I suppose i'm responding to the passage of time as to when we got our first glimpse. I just feel we should have starved a little longer. But I see your point.

7. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Did you guys notice how many more spoilers and how much more dialog they had in the prequel trailers?
    It was like they weren't even trying to keep anything secret. Now it's much more mysterious!

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It was actually perfect. They gave us a taste of the power and visual beauty of the movie without overdoing it or giving away the plot.

9. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Since Episode 8 is back to a summer release, I think we'll get the first teaser with Rogue One next December and then a full length trailer around March. I'm not sure they would release a teaser earlier than Rogue One, so as not to confuse people about the two movies. Also, I think Disney will want to avoid Star Wars overload.

10. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    You sound like a crazy person! We've seen basically nothing! Most movies have a couple of money shots in the trailers but we've seen nothing!!! We don't even know if chewie is wearing pants for crying out loud!! Aarrrggghh!!!

melkor834 and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I suppose it's less to do with the volume of content and more to do with the time we've been exposed to it. Much time has been spent speculating, it has.

12. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    This is actually less footage over a larger amount of time than is typical for Star Wars.

The PT usually didn't get it's first trailer until just 6months from release, and they did around 3 as well, but averaged longer than we have with TFA.

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Honestly...I can't remember the promotion trail for the prequels. I was in school and if I caught the trailer on TV, I caught it. If not, c'est la vie - just wait for the film.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The interwebs was in the pre-broad band era... most people had 48.8k or 56k dial-up modems. When the first teaser for TPM was released... about 45 seconds to a minute long if I recall, I was one of millions who had to download the trailer so they could watch it... as streaming was glitchy and very low quality, so wasn't really an option.

The moment it was available, I had my PC spending the next 2.5hrs downloading it so I could watch the damn thing! [face_laugh]

15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't even remember that. I remember having 56K as my internet speed but I remember buffered videos being such sub-par quality at the time. Though i'm sure a friend downloaded it and distributed the trailers on CD. But yeah, apart from the tie-in merchadise, I seriously remember little to nothing about how the films themselves were advertised at the time of release.

16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Too Many we have 3 and a lot of reused footage.

17. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001

Do you wanna know how non-Internet savvy I was back in '98-99? I spent almost 2 hours downloading a 60mb version of the TPM teaser trailer...only to realize AFTER the movie was released that I had to download the Quicktime program as well...

You have no idea just how frustrated I was when the download was complete and I was unable to play the trailer. I was opening every program on my comp at the time to see if any of them would play the video [face_frustrated] 8-}

Baron_Papanerd and EviL_eLF like this.
  18. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Ok, I can imagine the frustration... though I was pretty tech savvy already myself, so I already had quicktime. ;)

Import_Jedi likes this.
  19. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Dude, I was still on VHS.

My PC had 128mb of RAM.

20. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    :mad:[face_frustrated][face_waiting][face_phbbbbt][face_worried][face_bleh]:oops:8-}[face_laugh]

Jerk.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  21. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    NO, I say we seen too FEW! MOST movies do more now.

Does this really need it's own thread?

EviL_eLF and Import_Jedi like this.
  22. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Yeah, I got my first DVD player in 2001... so I actually have a copy of TPM on VHS as well.

my kind of scum and phatdude1138 like this.
  23. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Nope, they've nailed it. One micro teaser, a teaser, and a single theatrcial trailer that shows virtually nothing, while still delievering on beauty shots and emotion. Compared to most other Hollywood releases over the last few years -- A teaser that shows a decent amount, followed by two and sometimes three theatrical trailers that show quite a bit.

I much prefer this way. :)

EHT, jaqen and Import_Jedi like this.
  24. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001

Got my first DVD player in 2001 as well. Do you know what my first DVD was?

This masterpiece...

[​IMG]

EviL_eLF likes this.
  25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, I got mine in 1999 but that was just built into my PC. I hated watching movies on the computer back then. We didn't get a proper DVD unit for the TV until about 2000....i think.

EviL_eLF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.