main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Too much pandering to the OT

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Prisic Duskleap, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's all marketing.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  2. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    I am sure working on a real set is much more "Fun" for the actors compared to green screens and that is all fine and good. I wanna add that I am a big believer in artistic freedom. We have no control over what the filmmakers decide to use we can only hope the finished product is good. I can respect artistic choices as long as it is not done out of spite or fan pressure.

My issue is not with practical effects(tho I personally would of preferred CGI) it relies strictly with the marketing so far. Once again the prequels are not universally hated and the filmmakers should not delude themselves into thinking they are.

I will still be there opening night for EP7 hoping for the best but from the little I have seen I don't have much hope. Hopefully that is a good thing and I am pleasantly surprised by the film.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Rather than calling people 'anti-PT' or 'PT-bashers' why don't you take the approach of examining why a large proportion of cinema professionals as well as die hard Star Wars fans don't think very highly of the prequels? Why not examine the reality of the situation as to why Disney wants to associate the new movies with the OT rather than the PT?

lovelikewinter and Dra--- like this.
  4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    It's about proportion, not total amount. Think of it like the difference between total GDP and GDP per capita. It's the latter that tells you how rich or poor a nation is.

So how much CGI per frame, or in relation to practical effects and location shooting, is what you should be looking at.

And proportionally-speaking, the PT just has way, way, way more CGI. No surprise, since they came out two decades after the OT, but many think that the proportion of CGI to non-digital was too unbalanced. That's a reasonable perspective, whether you agree with it or not.

5. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012

It's true they are trying to bring my generation back (OT Fans) but I think they are going a little overboard. Everyone needs to remember this is George's sandbox they are playing in, not the other way around.

Big_Benn_Klingon and burg2774 like this.
  6. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

No way. If they came straight out and said they hated the prequels and they suck, there'd be so much backlash way beyond the mild annoyance people are feeling now about the "practical" stuff. Point is, despite their opinions, they're being respectful about it. What you seem to what, is for them not to hold that opinion. Well, no way around that.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Don't mistake the omission of praise to be equal to a statement of criticism. Neither JJ nor Lawrence nor Kathleen has made one rude comment about Lucas. Not one.

What you call innuendo I call being diplomatic. "This is how things used to be done, and now we're doing them again" is a positive statement. Abrams and Kennedy know a large segment of fans felt burned by the candy-coated feel of the PT. But rather than say "yeah, wasn't that ****?" they're focusing on the plus side, on bringing back that used galaxy that the story started in and this new story logically builds upon.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Design wise looks more like an ANH pastiche to me than OT overall. Nothing we've seen so far puts me in mind of the aesthetics that gave us the sleek futurism of Cloud City or the storybook atmosphere of Dagobah and the Ewok village.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

But how are they crapping on the PT?
    Exactly this. It would be rude an undiplomatic to be truthful. JJ has pushed about as close to that line as he can in the VF article by saying the PT are not really for him, but he gets why George wanted to go that route and he appreciates that his kids and others love them. That is polite. That's not innuendo.

Also, what some seem to be not be realising is that by showcasing what they feel are strengths they can talk about (clearly story is off the table in terms of details - though they are clear to state what kind of tone and they are aiming for) they absolutely ARE selling TFA on its strengths, which is exactly why people on the whole are going nuts for what they've seen officially of TFA. It looks like Star Wars done well. It's not their fault that for many, the PT was SW not done well.

10. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    The reality of it is either the filmmakers are that delusional to think the PT is universally hated or they are insecure in trying something new so instead are appeasing the prequel haters for easy cash. I hope to be wrong on both when I see the film opening day.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Nothing's universally hated. But impact-wise, the OT just kills the PT in every way so of course they're going to reference that more. If you're making a new Batman film, you want to be compared to Christian Bale and Nolan, not Joel Schumacher.

12. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    By continuing to harp on about practical effects instead of story. Cmon you can't tell me with a straight face that the marketing so far doesn't have some "Anti PT" vibe to it

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't see it that way at all. Why would they knowingly slag of George Lucas? They sing his praises for creating the franchise in one hand, and then subtlety continue to berate him for the way he made the prequels in the other? I'm afraid not. As I've pointed out in another thread, if you want to perceive JJ as prequel bashing, the constant insistence about the importance of well written characters, emotion, a strong story and script are more of an aside to the PT if you ask me. Not the use of practical sets etc. it's a contentious point obviously, but many fans (me included) felt the relationships between the characters were soulless and poorly written. The dynamic and chemistry between Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy and the droids, was an integral factor into why the Originals were so successful.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    What can they harp on about at this stage that is going to get people buzzing?

They are not giving anything away story-wise yet. They have to focus on the look and feel of the film. And they have made constant references to the importance of story and heart and making us care about these characters.

TK327 and Jcuk like this.
  15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i don't it's anti-pt as much as "hey pt haters! you'll love this film! it's just like the originals!" they want to make sure they market to disenfranchised sw fans not hardcores like us.

DaddlerTheDalek and Satipo like this.
  16. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Ummm...Idk I thought the original cast being back was enough but I guess maybe the story? Anything other than just being anti pt.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    They've talked plenty about cast. They can't talk story yet. At some point (presumably with the release of the full trailer) that will change. They are proud of the look and approach they have taken and are rightly showing it off. It seems to be working as, some sensitive fans aside, the footage seems to be going down an absolute storm.

DaddlerTheDalek, TK327 and Jcuk like this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    marketing is marketing. you sell to those who you want to win back not those you know never left.

DaddlerTheDalek, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  19. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    How big something was cultural wise doesent mean that it is better. SW just came out and was new in 77. Its hard to believe ANH could even be made back then. The ST isnt gonna be cultural impacting movies.

Andy Wylde and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, it baffles me that the Big Three are back and yet from a marketing/PR standpoint special effects seem to be the main selling point.

21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    This primarily has to do with the Mystery Box. JJ simply doesn't want to divulge too much about the stories and characters. He wants people to learn that stuff when they watch the film. In the meantime, those fans that left the Star Wars fandom are being given stuff that is getting them very, very excited about Star Wars again. It's really very, very simple.

22. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Practical Effects are not going to be what makes the film great but the marketing so far would make it seem that is all that matters. I personally think practical effects are overrated but I can respect artistic choice if done well and not out of spite. I know I am not 100% sure what Abrams intention is so I hope to be wrong opening day.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I'd have more sympathy with this view if it wasn't working like gangbusters. I think they've used the Big three about as much as they can considering they are more actively trying to build a new franchise around new leads and also, Luke and Leia may more play that huge a role in TFA. You can't pimp them too much (Luke especially) then have him not to do much.

No - Prisic - you're fixating on the practical thing - JJ has said many, many times that story is what's important. That nostalgia and effects won't matter if the story is not right and the heart is not there. It's simply not true to imply otherwise. Where the link is is that JJ believes that creating as tactile world as is possible (using the dreaded practical effects) helps immerse both cast and audience in the story so you feel it's real and if you feel it's real you're serving the story more. Exactly what the OT did often and the PT managed intermittently.

The FX , whether practical or digital are merely a tool to help tell a story. JJ quite clearly uses that.

24. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    If "pandering to the OT" means making a good movie, then I'm all for it.

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Man I really do hope the story is engaging. The visuals are sorted, no concerns there. That man is certainly determined to keep the plot under wraps. Which leaves me feeling slightly ambivalent to be honest. I applaud the dedication, but also feel we should know a bit more with regards to the story.

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.