main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Too much pandering to the OT

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Prisic Duskleap, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If a stylistic return to form with love and dedication for traditional film making is spiteful, then Michael Bay is a modern day Kubrick. Count me the hell out.

Howard Hand likes this.
  2. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think JJ just prefers a more practical look to his movies. I don't think it is a slight to the PT at all. We all know GL was a great innovator and I think JJ is just using the methods that GL used that influenced JJ the most. The OT inspired JJ more than the PT. Some directors would make their Star Wars movie more like the PT because it impacted them more. From what I have seen so far is OT vibe with new look and JJ's directing style.To me they are just saying this is not all CG like all those other blockbusters. I don't think they are referring to only to the PT but the Hobbit/Transformers/Avatar just to name a few. Traditional film making still has a place in the cinematic universe and that seems to be the message IMO.

DaddlerTheDalek and Satipo like this.
  3. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    What? The PT did good in the box offices and the blue rays are selling. What lost fans? The lost fans that keeps buying them everytime they get released again?

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The who are the haters you keep complaining about? Why is there a bias if everyone thinks they're great?

Dra--- likes this.
  5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    There are 6 billion people in the world, believe it or not, not every one loves SW as much as we do.

Some might have seen TPM and not came back for the rest of the PT.

You can always try to win over more potential fans too.

Disclosure - I loved the PT.

6. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I think the whole pt vs ot thing is really artificial tbh. most people dgaf.

also remember that one time George Lucas said that special effects in star wars are just a tool to enhance storytelling?

DaddlerTheDalek and Satipo like this.
  7. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    That's a very important point. This idea that Star Wars fans jump on a PT-hate bandwagon because they want to is preposterous. Everyone wanted to love those films, and a lot of people didn't. Some people took their disappointment to horrifying extremes (such as harassing Jake Lloyd, etc). But in general, Star Wars fans who don't like the PT should generally be pitied. It really, really stunk to be a Star Wars fan during that era if you couldn't connect to the films. In that context, those who love the PT era most (including TCW, etc) should be happy, in some respects, that the OT-first fans may finally be getting something closer to what they enjoy. Maybe try feeling happy for them? I certainly have learned to feel happy for people who loved the PT, and got more of that era with TCW.

8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. If you love all 6, you're batting 100%!

9. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If people don't like them? Then they don't like them. Obviously there are idiots who jump on the PT hate bandwagon, but most fans you'll find have legitimate reasons why they don't rate them. It's pretty self opinionated to categorically state YOU.don't think they're terrible films. And anyone who doesn't share YOUR view is wrong. Find out why fans don't like them before you label any fan who doesn't as a PT basher/hater.

Dra---, Satipo and DarthLightlyBruise like this.
  10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I like that they're using more old school effects. The kind of stuff I'm not thrilled with are some of the OT "echoes", like the Empire returning, having a Tatooine knockoff, and Kylo Ren resembling Vader too much. None of it's a big deal, I just think a lot of it seems unnecessarily similar.

Big_Benn_Klingon and ezekiel22x like this.
  11. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Ummmm when did I label anyone here a "Hater" for not liking the films? What I mean by PT haters are those that have such irrational hatred for the films that delude themselves into thinking they are universally terrible films. I am not referring to those that just simply don't like them.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm I don't know. Personally I don't think Kylo (character wise) resembles Vader. I actually think Kylo is a prince from a powerful Royal family. A dark force sensitive with a Vader obsession. But hey, I'm more than likely totally wrong ;)

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I honestly don't even know what universally terrible even means.

14. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    Kylo's just a Vader wannabe (in the sense that he wants to be br00tal and dark) but in reality his personality and motives will be much different.

I was hoping for a villain who actually thinks he's doing the right thing and Driver kinda confirmed that so this is good.

when we see this film we'll all realise that it'll have it's own vibe not ot or pt but it'll have more ot influence 'cause it's gonna be a coherent part of the saga and not detached like the pt (which again should have been different but still should have been coherent with a bit more stylistic consistency).

15. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    That's the impression I get. No, its not explicitly stated, but I do feel like the ST will be a sort of anti-PT, or at least that's what Lucasfilm wants to imply.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, same here. I love a good real set, but c'mon, I'm not going to jump for joy over yet another desert world.

Andy Wylde and Big_Benn_Klingon like this.
  17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    To my mind, no one on these boards is a PT hater/basher. Yet you continually reference such people in your posts. Members on here are serious SW fans. There really is no need for your vitriol in defending the prequels. :)

Wildcatbarry, Dra--- and Satipo like this.
  18. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Exactly.

Jcuk likes this.
  19. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015

at first I thought the same but now I'm cool with Jakku. shoulda made it a Mongolian steppe planet though hmu

20. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Well I have no ill will towards anyone here that doesn't like the PT. I have no vitriol only to those that have such irrational hatred as I have previously stated.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Yes you do. Don't lie.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    There is no such irrational hatred on these boards, nor coming from TPTB, so what's the issue then?

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, well regardless I think we're done here. I let this go for a while, but it's pretty much run its course. It's just going to keep breeding OT vs. PT battles and bashing at this point (which are against the rules of this forum). Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.