main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Too much use of the Force?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tatooine Twilight Twins, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I found this to be an interesting take on the progression of the SW franchise.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-episode-7-force/

Excerpt:

I can’t for the life of me figure out why ‘Star Wars‘ fans gravitate so strongly toward Jedi so much that they actually want to see more. Sure, Jedi are interesting to learn about, but when they are actually on the screen, they are some of the least exciting characters in the ‘Star Wars’ movies. I don’t have a crazy wish list of things I want to see in this new trilogy (though, it will be cool to see the Millennium Falcon again), but I do hope this new team downplays the Force again. By the Prequels, the Force turned Jedi into superhuman, magic-wielding, super-speedsters. In the original ‘Star Wars,’ a case could be made that the Force wasn’t even real.

I apologize ahead of time if this is not the spot to place such a discussion. I tried searching for a forum/thread dedicated to the posting of articles but couldn't find any.

2. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I think Obi-Wan and Yoda are the most exciting characters in the Star Wars movies. So.... I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

3. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    While I love the prequels, I do have to say that I am a little "forced out" at this point and would like to see more characters that do not rely on the force to guide them. I have a feeling that the powers that be will be looking for a good balance for the ST.

4. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I agree with the article. In the OT the Force was this mysterious, mystical thing. When it was actually used, it was special. The Prequels almost became Super Hero movies.

Same with lightsabers. When they came out in the OT it meant things were getting real. In the PT a lightsaber popped up everytime somebody heard a noise.

Dak Oolron, Blip, TheFoot and 9 others like this.
  5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    OT said the lightsaber was a weapon of a Jedi Knight.

Yet every man, women and child of the Jedi Order had one! I thought that was rather silly, especially Padawan's having a lightsaber; it's like giving a boy scout an M16.

Squarepants, Dak Oolron, Blip and 4 others like this.
  6. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Very much agreed. Lightsabers and the Force lose their mystique when most of the characters are waving them around most of the time.
    It seems likely that most of the mains will be Jedi this time around, and that makes sense with the next generation of Solos and Skywalkers - I just hope they keep some self-control.
    It'd be great to see the new order work like in the books - a motley crew of dedicated people from all walks of life; those who have to fight often use blasters first so they don't give away what they are.
    At the very least I hope our spinoff films aren't all about Jedi jumping around and hacking their way through hordes of faceless mooks.
    Star Wars is too rich, expansive, and detailed a universe to focus exclusively on superhero-type perfect action badasses.

Blip and CheelBackFromTheDead like this.
  7. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Too many Jedi were another big no-no of the PT. Only Jar-Jar Binks The One Who Shall Not Be Named and Padme were the main non-Jedi protagonists of the PT.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I see he was watching Star Wars with his Han-colored glasses.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Sounds just like the Latino Review article. I think these guys are copying off one another.

10. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Midi-chlorian ruined everything.

Dak Oolron, Blip, TheFoot and 10 others like this.
  11. Ricky Olié

Ricky Olié Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    The PT overused the Force alot.
    In the OT it was more mystical, more esoteric, in the PT it felt kinda underwhelming the more times they used it.

I don't mind it being used a lot, that's fine, I'd just like for it to remain more mystical rather than space germs.

Also the whole "Jedi can deflect blaster bolts" thing, one of the dumbest ideas ever, it didn't even make sense when Vader did it.

12. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    There's two types of people. People that think Han Solo has the most interesting part the story, and then there's people like me. I know well enough that not only are the Jedi crucial, but the force is the heart of the films.

If anything is overused it is the telekinesis associated with the force and lightsabers. But if anything needs to be pruned back, it's the lack of subtly the way the force has been recently handled; and that's to aid the force as a part of the story.

Don't get me wrong, I like Han Solo, but he played a specific role and was good because of his contrast with the agents of the force. But I have no clue how he would be if it was just him and a bunch of dudes like him.

I'm just not interested in a whole cast full of the stereotypical cynical guys that may or may not believe in the force. Cus I can promise you, ain't none of them are going to feel like Han Solo.

13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    The PT did have too much of the Force, Jedi and Lightsabers. Midichorians helped demystify the Force and not in a good way. That being said, I think this was necessary if only to show a contrast to the absence of Force users in the OT and the significance, importance and ability of the Force users we see in the OT.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That person is an idiot. "A case could be made that the Force wasn't even real." Well, what the hell makes Luke's Lightsaber fly into his hand? What, does the Lightsaber have a magical fart button to make it rocket into the air. The Jedi have always been that. This guy doesn't understand that Lucas was working out the kinks in ANH on how the Force could work and during TESB, we had someone who was training to use the Force. By ROTJ, we see Luke using it much like the Jedi of the PT. Same with the Sith.

Apparently you've never seen martial arts students using weapons at a young age. And why wouldn't every Jedi have one. They're all Jedi Knights. You're logic is kinda flawed. ​
    Exactly how can the Jedi be the guardians of peace in a large galaxy if there aren't ten thousand of them?​
    How?​

15. Ricky Olié

Ricky Olié Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    Blasters should be going at the speed of light, or at least really fast.

The idea that they can easily deflect these with lightsabers, even if a saber could feasibly do it, is silly because of just how impossible it would be to line it up just right, regardless of if you could tell the future or not.

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Is too much use of the Force a thing?

17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Yoda was lifting planes out of swamps.
    Obi Wan was sensing the corporate deaths of millions of people, millions of miles away.
    Palpatine was shooting electricity out of his fingertips.

But you think laser deflection is the big shark jump?

Ok.

18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You mustn't like Star Wars much...

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, that's the point. The Jedi and Sith can see where the bolts will strike and move to intercept. As you saw, they were more than capable of hitting it and the saber blades are made of energy which can neatly deflect a bolt. That said, even the Jedi and Sith have their limits which is why we see Jedi fall in AOTC and ROTS.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Just the one?

Trebor Sabreon and Dak Oolron like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Actually laughed - best takedown I've heard in a while

Squarepants and Dra--- like this.
  22. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Just a random thought ... What if Luke has a son/daughter who for some reason has no connection to the force. Would be interesting to see this young kid trying to fill his fathers shoes and live up to what he thinks his father expects of him.

23. Ricky Olié

Ricky Olié Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    I don't really hate it, I just don't get it, especially when padawans do it.

Like, if they can predict blaster bolts coming at them in split seconds how come they can't predict everything?

24. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    The use of the force is exhausting on the mind and body. Therefore, to use it to predict things all the time, or to do anything that requires force use for a long period, is not possible.

25. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Star Wars is Space Opera, not Science Fiction. There is a difference in that the former is basically fantasy set in a sci-fi environment, whereas the latter is plausible for the most part. In Space Opera you're supposed to be saying to yourself: "Oh, brother, that's ridiculous, gimme a break...but it sure was cool looking!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.