main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive ToonMan's 'Clone Wars' Art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ToonMan, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    Here is my latest:
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/Star%20Wars/CLartinsertion.jpg Clone Insertion

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, ToonMan, these latest are great! There's so much movement and action in your pieces, something that's tough to depict (for me, anyway! lol!), but you seem to have a real gift for it! I love the detailing on the Clone Insertion piece: the weapons, armor and even in the background are all awesome! Wonderful, colorful and action-filled work--great stuff!

FF

3. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I definitely like your style ToonMan! Well done :)

4. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks Falcon Fan!! Since I usually draw Hot Rods, this is a little different for me, but I love it!!!! Backgrounds are not my strong suit, but I feel they are needed.
    So glad to hear you guys like my work!!!!
    Rob

5. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Hey ToonMan, long time no see. I am glad you are still drawing SW. I like your last one. You know your drawing style is very unique, but I swear I have seen a similar drawing style somewhere before. I wish I could remember where. For some reason I think it is from a comic book. Have you ever done comics? Ack!![face_frustrated] This is going to bug me.

Anyway, great job!

AG88

6. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    Sorry I have been away. The Holidays got real busy for me.
    This style is just the way it comes out when I do it. I really can't explain. It is just me!!I have not done any comic books, but I have done artwork for Dark Horse Comics!!!!! That was a few years ago.
    Rob

7. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    All Right. I have actually found the time to get 2 more colored. I have about 10 drawings done now, but just having trouble finding time to color them. Hot Rod Art pays the bills, Star Wars is for me!!!! Priorities!!!!

Jedi who was forced to kill a fellow Jedi who was his friend ==Sorrow==
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtSorrow.jpg

A Klagosian Jedi. Alien I made up.
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtKlagosian.jpg

Most all of these are from the Book I am writing. Since I am an artist, I like to visualize what I am writing.

Enjoy!!!!!
    Rob The ToonMan

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey ToonMan! Great to see some new stuff--but oh, how sad!! :_| "Sorrow" really tells a story here, with the partial glimpse of the fallen Jedi in the background and the character in the foreground, brought to his knees in self-blame and grief... :_| The scene is wonderful, with the temple-like buildings and stones (great detailing in the stonework, too, with all the cracks and fissures--makes it all look very old), and the coloring is excellent. Your alien, the "Klagosian," is awesome! Sort of a cross between a Klingon and a yak (I'm warped...pay me no mind!)! I really like the horns--they look almost like shiny metal--and the way his beard is braided and decorated is wonderful! The gauntlets are very cool, and the way you've made the lightsaber hilt look almost inlaid (the bright colors suggest jewels inset in the metal, or perhaps a decorative enameling...kewl!) is outstanding. Great pieces to add to your gallery!

FF

9. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    FF
    Thanks so much for such an enthusiastic response!!! Made my day!!!! You totally got sorrow!!!! Your words exactly described what I was going for!!!!!!!! I did spend some time on this one, espcially the stones.
    As for the Klagosian, you are kinda right. A cross between a Klingon and a Yak is a good description. Glad you liked the detail here too. Braids, inlaid lightsaber, and gauntlets.
    I have done 2 other alien Jedi, but haven't got them colored yet. Will post when it is done.

My next posts will be a Clone Firing, and an ex jedi (Post Order 66) Decapitating a Clone.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob the ToonMan

10. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice pics, ToonMan. I like the Klagosian Jedi. He reminds me of that Goat Boy skit that used to be on Saturday Night Live... or was it Mad TV. :p

So you are an artist and a writer! I am impressed. So are you talking about fanfiction or is this a story you are going to try to get DarkHorse to publish?

I hate writing. I wrote a few fics for writing challenges, but I hated every minute of it. I much rather read fics or draw.

AG88

11. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks!!!! Goat Boy, never thought of that!!!!

Yes, I am an aspiring writer. I wrote a story when I was in high school, called Escape from the Empire, that took place after ESB. (Giving away my age) I have an unfinished Star Trek Book that takes place after the last movie - Nemesis - about a newly put together Tactical Fleet. Most of it is all tech stuff I have done, ship lists, characters, Drawings of new and fammiliar aliens, and so on.
    When I saw Sith, I was inspired to do a Clone/ Jedi story. Now I am 100 pages into it, and about half way done. Instead of all the tech stuff like I did in the Trek story, I just started writing. The ideas just seemed to flow!!!!!! I have the whole thing in my head, I just need to type it up a little faster. Along with the main story, I have also written a few flashbacks to the hay days of the Jedi with my main character, and his padawan, and also their adventures during the Clone Wars.

I would like to get it published. Either paperback, of through Dark Horse. Friends of mine that are into Star Wars and have read parts have been very impressed. They think I am onto something.

On the good side, I do live in the same town as Dark Horse Comics. It is about three miles from my house, and I have actually met Mike Richardson!!!!! Even have a Pic of him and I together!!! It is funny though. I am 6 feet tall and taller than most people around me, but in the pic, I look really short next to Mike!!!!! He has to be 6'7'', at least!!!!

What ever happens with it, I will at least print up a few copies for friends when it is done. As I visualize parts of it, I do a drawing to help me with it. It is a great help.

Thanks for the comments!!!
    Rob the ToonMan

12. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Ah, don't worry about that. I am pretty sure we are the same age. I was in Junior High when ANH came out, HS when ESB came out and I had been in the Army for a couple years by the time ROTJ came out. I have been a SW fan since 1977.

That would be fantastic!! Don't forget your TF.N friends when you make it big. :D

Wow, I would probably come up to his belt buckle. [face_laugh] I am only 5'2". A few years ago my computer modem broke and the company said they were going to send a repair man. The doorbell rings and I look out the window and see the repair vehicle so I just open the door. There stood the biggest man I have ever met. :eek: I think he told me he was just short of 7 feet tall, He was barrel chested and had a beer gut and looked like a biker gang member. Let me tell you, it is intimidating to be home alone and then having to let in your house a mountain of man like that. But dammit, I needed to get back online! :p

Hey, I would love one. Just tell me the cost.

AG88

13. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    AG 88

I was in the 7th grade when ANH came out!!!! We are right there!!!!!!!!!! I turned 40 last year!!!

If I am lucky enough, I won't forget you when I am a famous author!!!!!!!!! When I get it done, I will let you know, and try to get you a copy.

Since i am most often taller than the people I am around, I feel really insignificant when I am around someone as tall as Mike. You experience had to be a little freaky!!!!!!!!!

14. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    All right, here are three of my latest pieces.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/Star%20Wars/CLArtAlienJedi.jpg
    Alien Jedi, I made up.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/Star%20Wars/CLArtDecap.jpg
    Decapitating a Clone

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtCloneattack.jpg
    Clone Trooper Commander on the attack

Enjoy them!!!!!
    Rob The ToonMan

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    And more unique aliens! The two Jedi are wonderful--but I especially like the "big green guy!" His face and head are very distinctive, and the yellow eyes are a great touch in that long green face! Both of them are very interesting (...there's almost a "Chiss" thing going on with the padawan--blue skin, red eyes! ;) ), and you've achieved a good sense of "individualism" in their Jedi clothing, particularly with the high collar and the shoulder guards on the master. Well done!

"Decapitation" is yet another piece with a tremendous amount of energy (you seem to have a gift for the "action shots!")...even if it is a tad gruesome... The "beat-up" look to both the combatants definitely gives the impression that it was past time to end this, and the Jedi's expression is very grim and resolute (as would be any Jedi forced to kill)--his pose is great, and suggests a skillful feint to gain position for this killing blow.

And the Clone trooper attack is wonderful! All the blaster-scoring on the walls is very believable (and I'm diggin' the little control panel there--it just strikes me as a really cool detail!), and his pose is very dynamic (the blaster bolts flying from the "business end" of the weapon help with that, too! ;) ). Again--I like the way you shade and color your pieces--it's very vivid and really conveys a lot of energy to each piece. You have a great style that's very unique, and it's wonderful to look at! Very nice additions!

FF

16. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    FF
    Thanks you again for your most gracious comments. Glad to hear you liked the two Jedi, and my attempt at Jedi fashion!!!

Action shots are what I am striving for. I have always done mostly plain stances for people, and now wish to move on. I do realize it is a tad gruesome, but with the helme still on the head, it makes it PG13 like Jango's demise!!!!! I did try to put the jedi in a position much different than anything else I had done, but still keep with the fierceness of the combat.

Clone trooper attack is probably my most favorite so far, glad to hear you like it too. I really am not good at backgrounds, so i try to do what I can, and hope for the best. This one turned out OK. I really don't know why I added the control panel. maybe just to break things up a little. Glad you liked it!!!

I am currently working on the predacessor to "Sorrow" The beginning face-off. It should be good.

Thanks again for your comments!!!! :)

Rob the ToonMan

17. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    OK, here are my latest drawings. I have revamped the way I draw Lightsabers, to go for a more realistic look, plus I am still working the action scenes. What do you think????

Force Open~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtForceOpen.jpg
    Robed Jedi~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtJediRobed.jpg

Despite the MAJOR Grief I am getting at home for taking the time to do these, I will continue!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!
    Rob The ToonMan

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Once again, your unique style really makes these, ToonMan--"Force Open" is a great piece, and I like the way you've depicted the energy around his outstretched hand. The new interpretation of the lightsaber blade seems very effective, too, with the soft "glow" and bright white center. These two almost look like "character studies" of one character--are they of the same Jedi? The "Robed Jedi" clothing is handled very nicely, and there's a definite sense of this figure walking toward us, with the apparent "swing" of his arms and the elevation of the forward knee (a very cool perspective, btw!). Major Grief at home for drawing for pleasure...? So sorry to hear that...and I hope things settle down for you!

FF

19. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks FF. Yes, the two new ones are of the same Jedi. He is the main character in the book I am writing, so I keep using him as my subject as I draw him in different periods in his life.
    Glad you like the new techniques, I like them too. I will continue to use them.
    Yes grief.....Wife doesn't understand how relaxed I get drawing, so she gets upset when I do it. I hope things calm down too.
    Thanks for the comments!!!!!
    Rob The ToonMan

20. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005

Here are my five newest drawings. Enjoy!!!!

Confrontation - Predecessor to Sorrow~~~~~~~~
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtConfrontation.jpg]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtConfrontation.jpg

Disembarking~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtDisembarking.jpg]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtDisembarking.jpg

Raleighan - Another Alien I made up~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtArasReyem.jpg]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtArasReyem.jpg

Hiking on Dendryll IV~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtDendryllIV.jpg]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtDendryllIV.jpg

Still Fighting
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/CLArtStillFighting.jpg]

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, very nice! Sorry it took me so long to get in here to comment, ToonMan--I've been "angsting" over a bit of "artist's block" lately and haven't been around much!

Loving the "prequel" piece to "Sorrow:" I'm taking it then that the big fellow is the one that ended up on the losing end of the battle outside the old temple...? I might've bet he'd be the victorious one here, just due to reach (of course--reach never seems to be much of a problem for Jedi--example: Master Yoda...). It's great the way you've included the background elements of the previous picture into this one--it ties them together nicely.

"Disembarking" has a lot of energy to it--this Clone Trooper is really hustling, weapons at the ready. The stark blackness of the inside of the ship contrasts well with the exterior of the vessel and lends a nice balance compositionally (for me, anyway). Great action here.

"Raleighan" is another wonderful alien concept--I especially like the horizontally slit pupils in the eyes--it's a very unique and interesting detail. As always, a lot of attention to the costume detailing here--the "bandolier-style" holster for his blaster is another cool feature, as is the texturing in his tunic and on his sleeves. Excellent!

"Hiking" is another nice action piece--with the Jedi leading the Clones and both of them looking in opposite directions, lightsabers at the ready, it conveys a good sense of tension (and also serves in the "storytelling!"): are they walking into an ambush? Are they anticipating an imminent engagement? Great mood with this one.

And "Still Fighting" falls into the "gruesome-but-powerful" category...poor fellow! Shot to pieces, but still hammering away at the enemy (I think they need to beef up that armoring a bit more... **shudders**). The suggestion of his violent trembling tells us he isn't long for this world (as do his grievous injuries...), but still the good soldier, he "soldiers" on...

Great additions, Rob! Again--I apologize for not getting in to comment on these sooner!

FF

22. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I like that you posted your original car drawings so we can see how your work originally translates so now I can appreciate even moreso the look of your star wars stuff.

Maybe it's me, but I'm really surprised you haven't drawn a group of clones partying in a '77 land speeder convertable ;)
    Hmm... actually with you style that'd actually be pretty cool. You could even have a Twi-Lek babe posing by them :p

23. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    You know, I never thought to cross the Star Wars with the Hot Rods!!!! Great Idea. I will have to find the time to try that. A Twi-Lek Babe included would be the right touch!!!!! Cool!!!

FF~~~~~~~~
    I really dig your reviews!!!!!!!!!! You get my art right down to the smallest detail!!!!!!!!!! Reading your replys makes my day!!!!!!!!!! You analyze every little detail and catch things that I am thinking while I am drawing. makes me feel good to know those things are making it through!!!!

I did try to tie Prequel together with sorrow. The temple in the distance seemed the right touch!!

"Disembarking" - I just tried to capture the rush of off loading during combat. I like knoves, so even though you don't see them much in SW, I added one here!

"Raleighan" The Aliens are tough sometimes. Since I did about 30 for a Star Trek story I was doing, i used up a lot of my best ideas. That makes these more difficult.

"Hiking" Anticipation i think describes what I was going for. This is the approach to the bunker where I drew the Clone commander on his kneee firing the rifle. (The one with the blast patterns on the wall and the control box) I am almost done with another view of that same hallway, showing my hero Jedi attacking a Seperatist. Anyway, Hiking is the approach to that hallway scene.

"Still Fighting" I realize it is a tad graphic, but I wanted to show the resolve of a Clone soldier!!!! Fighting til the bitter end!!!!!!!!! Yes, the armor really doesn't do much!!!!!!

Again, thanks so much for getting my work!!!!!! Your understanding really makes my day!!!!!!!!

Rob

PS This is a link to some of the Star Trek Art I did for my other story. Check it out!!!!
    http://groups.msn.com/StarTrekArt/toonmanstoons.msnw?Page=1 Some are my view on existing aliens, and some I made up, plus a couple of action scenes.
    Have to get back to work...... I am doing a series of Cartoons for the US Marines, and they have to be in the mail tomorrow!!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

24. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Another thing you might not have thought of. George Lucas is (or at least was) a major car affecionado. I'm sure he's gone to his fair share of car shows and has seen work like yours on T-Shirts etc.
    I'm betting he would love your stuff. Even moreso that you actually embrace the PT :)
    He loves wookiees and R2-D2. Just food for thought ;)

25. ToonMan

ToonMan Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2005
    That is a good idea. I'd forgot about GL's love of old cars....Duh -- American Graffiti!!!!
    I actually did one of my bigfoot cartoons with a Bigfoot a Chewbacca!!!!!! I will have to give it a try!!!!
    Rob the ToonMan
    [image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/Star%20Wars/Hot%20Rods/BigFoot/ToonBFCard3.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.