main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Top 10 Directors of all time

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MoronDude, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Empire Magazine (UK) came out with a list of the Top 10 Directors of all time. This is what they said:

1. Steven Spielberg
    2. Alfred Hitchcock
    3. Martin Scorsese
    4. Stanley Kubrick
    5. Sir Ridley Scott
    6. Akira Kurosawa
    7. Peter Jackson
    8. Quentin Tarantino
    9. Orson Welles
    10. Woody Allen

Now, I'm not sure I agree with this list. So, I ask all of you to come up with your own Top 10 directors list.

2. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Ridley Scott should be switched with Peter Jackson, IMO...The top five I would then agree with... Six through ten could be mixed up a bit...I'll think about it and then edit it in here

I love the no time-limit editing!

3. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Put Kevin Smith in Quentin's place since Quentin should never be allowed to make a movie or tv show ever again. I have not liked a single thing he has done, 3 movies I was unable to finish due to the severe pain endured listening to his 'dialogue.' The shows he did for Alias were just stupid, again dialogue issues were major, and the CSI finale he did, I just didn't even watch though I haven't missed an episode since it started.

Ok, also move Peter Jackson up, mostly for his bravery and stamina to have done the LoTR series the way he did. Maybe bring Scorcese down a couple notches. And where's Copolla? I'll do some more research and post mine up there, which would of course include MoronDude someday I'm sure!

4. Keela

Keela Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2005
    I wouldn't necessarily put them in that order and I vehemently disagree with putting Woody Allen on any list of anything other than Top Ten Annoying Pedophiles, and Quentin Tarantino should generally stay away from behind a camera. He has the odd exception, but mostly his films are crap. And I really don?t care for Stanley Kubrik films, but that?s more personal opinion because looking objectively, they are well done works.

I think they left off GL and James Cameron as well as Ang Lee and possibly Frances Ford Copola and Oliver Stone. Peter Jackson is OK at best, but doesn?t belong in a top ten list. One series of big budget movies does not a great, all time top ten director make.

So I guess my list would be:

1. George Lucas
    2. Alfred Hitchcock
    3. Steven Spielberg
    4. Orson Welles
    5. James Cameron
    6. Ridley Scott
    7. Akira Kurosawa
    8. Ang Lee
    9. Francis Ford Copola
    10. Oliver Stone

I?m still waffling a bit about my last 2 choices so I reserve the right to change my mind. I feel like there?s someone I?m forgetting?.I?ll have to think on it.

5. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    My top 10 would be:

10. George Lucas
    9. Orson Welles
    8. Sam Raimi
    7. Quentin Tarantino
    6. Kevin Smith
    5. Martin Scorsese
    4. Stephen Speilberg
    3. Alfred Hitchcock
    2. Stanley Kubrick
    1. Tim Burton

I'd just like to say that there are SO many more I'd like to fit on this list. Here's my Top 10 favorite fairly new directors:

10. Jared Hess
    9. Kerry Conran
    8. Richard Linklater
    7. David Fincher
    6. James Wan
    5. Richard Kelly
    4. Michel Gondry
    3. Paul Thomas Anderson
    2. Spike Jonze
    1. Christopher Nolan

6. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Not sure who my top ten list of director's would be but I can tell you who WOULD NOT BE ON IT!

1. Steven Spielberg (on the list to be sure. Not number one, no way)
    2. Alfred Hitchcock (Definitely on the list somewhere, Ive enjoyed all of his movies I've seen)
    3. Martin Scorsese (havent seen enough of his work to judge, also not interested in it, maybe that says something)
    4. Stanley Kubrick (Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange were great but Eyes Wide Shut is one of the FRIGGING WORST MOVIES EVER!!!! So he runs hot and cold, so..... no.)
    5. Sir Ridley Scott (He's directed some of my favorite movies ever put the way he pussed out on the end of Hannibal really brings him down some notches)
    6. Akira Kurosawa (Havent seen a single thing he has done, want to, just havent)
    7. Peter Jackson (Are you kidding me? No one will remember this guy's name in ten years)
    8. Quentin Tarantino (I weap for people so ignorant, so unrefined, so lacking in general taste that they think this hack who shouldn't even be allowed to direct traffic has been able to stay behind a camera so long as to make several feature-length movies. I like him in FRONT of the camera but he should be shot on site if ever seen behind a camera again. The people who let him behind the camera should be shot and their families should neutered. I hope this isnt to vague.)
    9. Orson Welles (all Ive seen of his was Citizen Kane, BOOOOOOORING!! ITS A SLED!!!)
    10. Woody Allen (First of all, some how Annie Hall won best picture instead of Star Wars. That makes him pure EVIL in my universe. Second of all, he's a sick twisted pedophile. So he should have surgery where a sedated group of fire ants are implanted in his body, a lot of them.)

A couple people I KNOW would be on my list.

1. George Lucas (he made the 6 best frigging movies ever! No contest, nothing even close!)
    2. James Cameron (directing god, especially on extended edition DVDs)

BTW Morondude, did you start this thread JUST to see what I'd do?

7. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Nope, but I did figure we'd have a few people mad about the list's obvious snubbing of George Lucas. Lucas is not the greatest director, but he's up there.

And you know my thoughts on Kubrick and Tarantino. I like em, you don't. Let's not argue anymore.

8. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    ummm dont take my little comments about Quetin personally, I was going more for rant than trying to insult anyone. Kill Bill 2 still sucked though :p :)

9. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    My top 10 would look like this:

1. George Lucas
    2. Steven Spielberg
    3. Kevin Smith
    4. Peter Jackson
    5. Robert Zemeckis
    6. Chris Columbus
    7. Sam Raimi
    8. James Cameron
    9. Stephen Herek
    10. Jim Henson

:D

10. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    chaplain should be in the top 2 thats for sure

dkt

11. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I think David Lynch should be somewhere on that list......

12. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    i'll act like you didn't say that

dkt

13. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    Ok, I will admit Ive only seen two of this guys movie's but they were absolutely brilliant. So I must mention this director...

Yimou Zhang

14. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Even though I'm not a fan of every single name on the list I gotta agree with what Empire Mag has compiled. Even the names I do like I think not all of their films were all great either. Its based on body of work, blah, blah blah. Definitely not from a fan's perspective in general because its from a professional's point of view. Their own peers.

If it was me, I'd say John Hughes should be on that list
    (Pretty in Pink, Some Kind Of Wonderful...)then. :D

EDIT: I didn't even know Orsen Welles became a director

15. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    Hey stop making us old folks feel old will ya!

16. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    John Hughes is good and all, but not Top 10 material.

Orson Wells is worthy of note, however, becuase not only did he direct Citizen Kane, widely regaurded as the greatest American film of all time, but he also directed The Trial, a cinematic version of Franz Kafka's bizarre story, and it is marvelous.

17. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    :) John Hughes: I had a blast watching the recent MTV Awards(on tv of course) that honored The Breakfast Club and well, I certainly think he had a major impact on teen cinema culture over the years. Doesn't matter what part of the world one is from. If there is a hint of Western culture in there, his films most certainly had an impact on the teens and tweens.
    EDIT: btw I'm still a big Mary Stuart Masterson fan and Some Kind Of Wonderful is my favorite teen movie of all time!)

Kurosawa should've been in the top 3 of that list, imho. I've seen most of his films.

Lucas has only directed 3 films (THX-1138, American Graffiti, and An New Hope) prior to his 3 PTs. Peter Jackson has only done the LOTR Trilogy i.e. only 3 films as well and he is in the Top Ten.

I was aware that Orson Welles was an accomplished actor but never knew he was also an accomplished director as well. I admit I haven't seen Citizen Kane in its entirety nor his other work but have known that CK is among the best pictures of all time(I think Gone With The Wind is the #1 film of all time?).

18. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    You might wanna check again on Peter Jackson....he's done other movies....they're just really cheesy horror movies that are more comical than frightful.

19. Keela

Jun 9, 2005
    Hence why Jackson doesn't really belong in a top ten list.

Oh and Orson Welles was also a writer....tho I'm sure Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise want you to think War of the Worlds was all their idea, originally it was a radio drama, taken from an HG Wells story, Orson Welles wrote for Halloween one year that people thought was real. There were acutally people in mass panic when it aired because he made it sound like a live news broadcast. I've heard it, it's awsome.

He also wrote Citizen Kane as well as many other productions. He was very talented. Do an IMDB search on him. The list goes on and on.

20. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Peter Jackson did Bad Taste, Dead Alive, Meet the Feebles, and a couple others I think... the Lord of the Rings movies are the only one's I'd call well-directed.

And yeah, Orson Welles is the MAN! He was kinda blacklisted after Citizen Kane, and as a result, all his movies after that flopped. Not because they weren't good, but because the media wouldn't advertise them. None were up to par with Citizen Kane, and he's an example of what happens when you hit a home run with your first film and the are excpected to achive that same point of perfection everytime. The story of Mr. Welles is quite tragic.

21. Petra_Blakkwing

Jul 1, 2002
    Citizen Kane is the most boring waste of time ever created.....it's a sled, people!

22. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Peter Jackson also did Heavenly Creatures, which was pretty good if I remember right. It actually made a name for him critically.

23. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I knew of Peter Jackson having done some B-movies but the LOTR films are the only ones I thought of that deserved critical acclaim. Never heard of Heavenly Creatures.

I definitely remember the story of the legendary Orson Welles broadcast of WOTW that shocked the US listeners. Its always mentioned by the presenter when watching the old 60s WOTW classic film re-runs on the sci-fi weekend afternoon tv schedule(normally Godzilla films. Been on several UFO as well as sci-fi movie documentaries over the years.

24. EvenflowSith

EvenflowSith Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2001
    10) David Lean
    9) Billy Wilder
    8) Sergio Leone
    7) Alfred Hitchcock
    6) Francis Ford Coppola
    5) George Lucas
    4) Martin Scorsese
    3) Quentin Tarantino
    2) Steven Spielberg
    1) Akira Kurosawa

25. Petra_Blakkwing

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm fairly suprised that Fellini's not on the list......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.