main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top 10 Father/Child Athletic Duos

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Anyone missing from the list? I, of course, love this list because it has Peyton Manning and Brett Hull on it. [face_love]

1. Bobby Bonds/Barry Bonds
    2. Archie Manning/Peyton Manning
    3. Bobby Hull/Brett Hull
    4. Ken Griffey/Ken Griffey Jr.
    5. Dale Earnhardt/Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    6. Muhammad Ali/Laila Ali
    7. Calvin Hill/Grant Hill
    8. Felipe Alou/Moises Alou
    9. Rick Barry/Brent Barry
    10. Ken Norton Sr./Ken Norton Jr.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Lee and Richard Petty

Kellen Winslow, Jr. needs a few injury-free productive years to make the list with his father.

3. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    I'd put the Hulls ahead of the Bondses. Bobby Hull is a Hall-Of-Famer and Brett should be a shoo-in, and they both have Stanley Cup rings. They're two of the greatest goal-scorers ever. Bobby Bonds won't be in the Hall Of Fame and it's possible that Barry won't either. A lack of World Series rings hurts their cause too.

I've just read up on Archie Manning and I think that duo should rank lower than the Hulls too.

Where did this list come from?

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    - Kellen Winslow/Kellen Winslow Jr. (this should be in the top 10 IMO)

Lesser-known duos:
    - Howie Long/Chris Long
    - Peter Stastny/Paul Stastny
    - Bill Walton/That guy on the Laker's bench

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Another two I thought could be lower down are

Bob Griese/Brian Griese
    Phil Simms/Chris Simms

However, the sons haven't quite proven themselves yet. And maybe someday soon Dell and Stephen Curry will be up there too.

6. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    I'm not too sure that the Hulls can be placed above the Bondses. Forget the championships and "Hall likelihood" and look at the stats. The Hulls may be two of the greatest goal-scorers ever, but the Bondses include the greatest power hitter ever (now this is without judgment on the steroids issue). Bobby isn't a pushover, either. Both he and his son are the only players in history to have 5 seasons of 30 HR/30 SB. They're by far the most accomplished father/son duo in baseball, and I believe in all of sports. Of course, this is coming from a homer. :p

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Brett Hull confirmed that he is going to be announced as a HOF inductee later today, making him and Bobby the first father and son to be inducted.

8. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Sorry Obese, the Hulls are the best father-son duo of all time. You are really minimizing how great both of the Hulls were. While Barry Bonds has some of the best numbers of all-time*, Bobby Bonds is not a HOF'er (and will never be). He was just a solid, all around good player.

The Hulls, on the other hand, are two of the greatest hockey players of all time. Bobby Hull was one of the top 5 players in the league in the '60's and '70's, with Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito being the only players better then him in that era. Brett Hull also wasn't just a goal scorer, but one of the most prolific goal scorer in league history. Only Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky (the two greatest players of all-time) have more goals than Hull. If a list of the top 50 NHL players were compiled, both Brett and Bobby Hull would both be on the list (with Bobby probably being a top 25 player). With the Bonds', only Barry would make such a list. Bobby wouldn't even come close to making such a list.

9. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah, i have to agree. Bobby and Brett Hull have to be no.1 . No question.

10. Tommy_Docherty

Tommy_Docherty Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 2009
    Hulls >>> Bonds

11. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    Graham & Damon Hill. Both Formula 1 World Champions.

Father (62 & 68) and Son (96) both officially the best in the world. Beats everyone else on the list IMHO.

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Eh, i have problems with Damon Hill simply because he had such a difficult time holding Michael Schumacher back in a clearly-inferior car.

13. KGhobgoblin

KGhobgoblin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    I can't believe s65horsey didn't make the initial case for Brett/Bobby Hull being #1 overall, seeing as how she is a HUGE Brett Hull fan. She had a massive poster of him holding a flaming hockey stick in her room growing up. That said, she has good taste, as he's one of the all time greats and a good guy, winning the Lady Byng Trophy on one occasion.

You could add Marv/Todd Marinovich as an honorable mention. Marv was a legendary college football player before he pioneered the art of sports strength-conditioning. Todd was the ultimate scientifically engineered athlete before drugs ruined his life. There was a great article in Esquire about his life "that never was."

http://www.esquire.com/features/the-game/todd-marinovich-0509

14. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Ripken family
    Norton family

15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Cecil/Prince Fielder.

16. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Oh, I do think they should be #1, even over the Mannings, but I figured that it was just me being biased. :p

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Very often the first generation is better than the second

Steve and Nick Swisher is another one.

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    you know... i think if you toss eli into the mix, the manning's kinda take the cake? how many father's have two son's that have SB rings/championships in their respective sport? not many that i'm aware of.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Archie/Peyton/Eli is pretty tough to beat, but this is about "duos" :p

20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    true true. spaced for a moment.

21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    My love for Hull is nothing like your man-love for Dominik Hasek. :p

Plus, Kendra so had the same poster of Hull when she was younger!

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Archie Manning wins: he has two Super Bowl winning sons.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000

24. KGhobgoblin

KGhobgoblin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    You got me. I have a man crush on Dominik that no man can break. I even named my cat after him.

Interesting point with the "two sons with Super Bowl rings" angle. Although impressive, I still don't think it outweighs two hall of fame careers, as opposed to just one between all three Mannings. I'm about quality over quantity, and not just with my athletes. ;)

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Secretariat and Risen Star

What?

I didn't see anyone else list a duo that had a G.O.A.T. on it. And I'm shocked 'sey didn't include this one already. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.