main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Top 10 Lists

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    First, I would like to see this topic stay around, much like some of our other topics have. It can be updated ona regular basis and should provide decent conversation.

I have brought this up at a few meetings and even at the little gathering last night. I was hoping we could all make a few Top 10 Lists. This will include films, songs, and any other ideas we have.

I would, though, like to set some ground rules. First, in regards to movies, let us agree that NONE of us should include ANY Star Wars films, at all. This is not to say any are bad or not worthy, not at all. This is a Star Wars forum, and I refuse to see a Top 10 Movie List where the top five films all begin with Star Wars. Let us all just make a list not including Star Wars, but we can all assume that the Star Wars films are even "above" the #1 on our lists. Make sense? They are beyond a list, so to speak.

Also, in regards to movies, I am sick of seeing lists that have stuff like: 3.) The Matrix Trilogy. That is just an example, but each number should be ONE movie, not two, not three, nothing like "6.) Star Trek Series." ONE movie per number for a total of ten. Sound good?

I have no list to post right now, but as soon as I post this topic, I am going to get started, here are some good ideas for beginning lists:

Top 10 Films
    Top 10 Songs

I can already think of at least five more lists, but those are a decent start. From there, we can continue onward.

So, let's begin.

Brandon

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    How about a top ten Top Ten List?

L8r

3. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Hmmm, I think I got it...it's SOO HARD TO DO THIS!!

SO here's my top ten movie list:

1. American Psycho
    2. The Princess Bride
    3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    4. Amadeus
    5. Signs
    6. Shattered Glass
    7. The Matrix
    8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    9. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    10. Gladiator

Ummm, I think that's about right...sigh...

For those of you that care here are some that almost made the list:

Eternal Beloved, Lost in Translation, Finding Nemo, Monters Inc., Shrek (both), Titus, A Beautiful Mind, Donnie Darko, Braveheart, Jurassic Park, A Clockwork Orange, The Wizard of Oz, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Requiem for a Dream, ET, Silence of the Lambs, Pretty Woman, The Exorcist, Fight Club, Life is Beautiful, First Knight, Big Fish, The Beauty and the Beast, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Fifth Element, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Meet Joe Black and Aladdin.

4. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm kinda winging this, but I think my movie list would go something like this . . .

1. Edward Scissorhands
    2. The Princess Bride
    3. Stand By Me
    4. Harold & Maude
    5. Heathers
    6. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    7. Fight Club
    8. Love Actually
    9. When Harry Met Sally . . .
    10. Once Upon a Time in America

And other films I'd give 5 stars to (in alphabetical order and excluding the Star Wars films):

The Abyss (Director's Cut)
    The Age of Innocence
    AI: Artificial Intelligence
    Amadeus
    Army of Darkness
    Back to the Future
    Batman Returns
    Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Braveheart
    Chinatown
    Cité des enfants perdus, La
    A Clockwork Orange
    Dark City
    Die Hard
    E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
    The Fifth Element
    Frailty
    The Godfather
    The Godfather, Part II
    Grease
    Groundhog Day
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    Interview with the Vampire
    Kill Bill
    L.A. Confidential
    The Last of the Mohicans
    Leon: The Professional
    Little Shop of Horrors
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    Magnolia
    The Matrix
    Memento
    The NeverEnding Story
    Nuovo cinema Paradiso (Director's Cut)
    Psycho (1960)
    Pulp Fiction
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    RoboCop
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Superman: The Movie
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Titanic
    Unbreakable
    X2: X-Men United
    Youssou, l'enfant d'eau

Ask me another day and my top ten may be different, switching some of the listed films around. But the above list is pretty complete when it comes to movies I go nuts over.

As for songs, I don't have a top ten. What I like to listen to varies greatly depending on my mood.

L8r

5. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    Like I said, it is soo hard to compile a list of movies...you just named a bunch that are so good and I completely forgot about...Neverending Story, omg...

As for music, I will come up with lists depending on genre since, for me at least, it's extremely difficult to compare music that's not even related...I mean, how could you compare "Mars" to "Hit me baby one more time"? (Obviously Mars is extremely superior, but I think most of you get my point.)

BTW, don't all of you love to crank up your speakers while listening to Mars? That is a kick ass song (sorry I'm so into the planets right now, but I'm listening to them...hehehehe, talk about power and might...kind of like Imperial March!!)

-Narf-

6. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, to say that I am nearly speechless by the list Stefanie posted is an understatement. I am overjoyed to reach her list. Not that Mike's is bad, not by a long shot, but after the countless hours and days of conversation she and I have had, I never thought her list would consist of such outstanding films. No, not all of them are on my list, but everything on her list is a great choice. The fact she has Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and 2001: A Space Odyssey on there makes me smile. No joke. I mean, we've talked about them before, "Sunshine" for a long while, but it's just great to see her list them. Really.

Again, this is to take nothing away from Mike's list. I'm glad we now have two lists, and my list WILL be up in no more than an hour or two, but when I read the lists above, I had to respond straight away.

Time to go compose mine... after I eat a Kit-Kat and Peanut Butter Cup.

Brandon

7. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I am quite behind on my movie watching, so there are undoubtedly some great films I didn't list for lack of seeing them. OTOH, 2001 bored me to tears. Of course, that was 15 years ago, so maybe it's due another shot, but I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience.

L8r

8. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    First, I have read the *overly* long list of your four star movies, Mike, and let me ask you this: have you ever thought about making an even shorter *five* star list? Again, I'd say I agree with about 70 - 75 percent of what you have there, but instead of the uber-long "bonus list," you could narrow it down. I, too, am going to include a list of movies that didn't make my top ten, but when I saw it, I realized it was as long as yours, and then I said, "Okay, out of THESE, which are the best ones?" I'd be interested to see your narrowed down list if you have the time. Also, I agree with what others have said, a top ten is a work in progress, and it DOES change, no doubt about that, so if a movie comes out tomorrow and it is amazing, don't hesitate to add it and repost the list or something.

Anyway, after far too much thought (never really too much, just a figure of speech), here is my list:

1. Punch-Drunk Love
    2. Magnolia
    3. American Psycho
    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    5. Lost in Translation
    6. Metropolis - Restored Authorized Edition (1927)
    7. The Shining
    8. Unbreakable
    9. Spartan
    10. In the Company of Men

Now, my turn to show my list of ones that were *just* off the top ten: Adaptation, Monster, Amelie, American Splendor, Alien, Blade Runner - Director's Cut, Blue Velvet, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, A Clockwork Orange, The Exorcist, The Fifth Element, Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Narc, Glengarry Glen Ross, Mulholland Dr., Peter Pan (2003), Shattered Glass, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Roger Dodger, Secretary, Violent Cop, The Thin Red Line, and I am, like I said in my above post, overjoyed that Stefanie had this on her list because it *just* missed mine, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

God, and that is my edited down list. Hell, don't worry, Mike, leave yours how it is. Sigh.

Hard to do, very hard.

Still, so far, we have three top ten lists. Now, everyone should make it his or her mission to watch all the films on everyone's list, and then they will get a better understanding of that person.

Brandon

9. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Actually, Brandon, every movie I mentioned I'd give 5 stars to. I just grabbed every movie I gave such a rating to at Netflix and copied it over here, save for a few exceptions (newer and/or forgotten films). I honestly don't know how I could pare that list down any. There are so many other films that I love that I didn't mention because I didn't think they were the cream of the crop. Believe me, I was surprised at how many films I rated that high. I felt compelled to disclose all of them to provide a complete picture of my tastes.

L8r

10. chewbacca1138

Mar 12, 2002
    So after looking over both of you guys' lists I could totally change some stuff...at least the movies that I considered for my list. Even so, I think I can pretty much stick to my list, it is pretty accurate and I *hope* it wont change anytime soon...

So I guess I could discuss why I like the movies so much? HAHAHA That would take a while. But really, Brandon, you mentioned my having 2001 and of course, Eternal Sunshine.

Well, 2001 is absolutely amazing. Yes, most people fall asleep during it (hell, my dad did) but I actually enjoyed the monkeys and the "space" moments. Not to mention, it makes you think like a mother and of course, has amazing music. I truly think it is one of the best movies ever made... Stanley Kubrick was a great director (as can be seen from his filmography) but this, to me, is the greatest of works from MANY directors combined. It is an absolute masterpiece.

As for Sunshine, I think that, at least for me, it helps me realize a lot about life. Brandon, you and I have discussed many things relating to both our pasts, and like the rest of you can relate, sometimes we want to forget somethings. At least I do...just end a certain memory of someone that made us suffer. But like Brandon says, we often don't remember the good things about those people, the good times we shared, and we just remember the bad. This movie IS about the good times...it makes you reflect on them and finally realize that that one person is really someone that you hope you remember for a long time...

11. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Time didn't permit me to post here sooner, but I fully approve. I also have chosen to never include the Star Wars films in my top 10 list, setting them aside as something, for me, beyond just great movies.

My Top 10 film list was an important endeavour to me back in the 90s and I forced many a friend to compile one of their own. Since then, I've spent little time adjusting mine, but still retain passion for the titles herein. I also call my "extras" list, movies in my Top 20. It's never been only an additional 10 to the top, but this is a metamorphic body of flicks that I rate with 5 stars (a system I lifted from Rolling Stone). Basically, this makes the 5-star titles, the "Top 20," my classic films.

My Top 10 List of Films, in alphabetical order so to not offend any of them:
    1) Cinema Paradiso
    2) The Hudsucker Proxy
    3) Joe vs The Volcano
    4) Kafka
    5) The Philadelphia Story
    6) The Princess Bride
    7) Pulp Fiction
    8) Raiders of The Lost Ark
    9) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
    10) sex lies and videotape

I'd intended not to go on to the Top 20, and while I'll keep that for another post, 2 movies that'll be included there, just barely got edged out: The Last Temptation of Christ and Angel Heart. -Campbell

ps, Stefanie, I also love Holst's Mars section. Ever read Stranger in a Strange Land? It features a striking use of the piece.

pps, I don't agree that 2001: A Space Odyssey is a great film, and I do love it. Sounds weird, but I don't think either it, or A Clockwork Orange, are fully formed films that stand very well without their matching texts. Being familiar with these, I truly have a better experience knowing the context that Kubrick chose to leave out. I can't think of 2 other movies that affected me so much, that really don't provide a whole viewing experience. In some ways, I view the Passion of the Christ similarly. Did I enjoy watching it? Absolutely, and really hope to see it with a biblical scholar one day. Does it stand alone as a complete movie? No, it's a film that just paints a vignette without real conflict or character development. I'm glad to have seen the biblical stories I somewhat know brought home a little, but I seem to recall 3 brief moments that explained the teachings of Jesus, the rest was just a literal bloodbath. Many people mistake the fact that the movie was so striking, as 2001 and ACO are, for being great films.

[Also, saying that, I'm not trying to argue those films out of anyone's lists. I think Brandon's intention, and most certainly mine, is to accept that these are subjective lists. AFI doesn't have to endorse any of these motion pictures to allow them to qualify as our favorites.]

12. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    Please dont make fun of me...

excluding star wars...
    1) Big Fish
    2) Spiderman 2
    3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    4) Fifth Element
    5) Seabiscuit
    6) Unbreakable
    7) Red Planet
    8) Spiderman
    9) Tomb Raider 2
    10) The Princess Bride

I may change this list...i think i forgot a few...
    ones i wanted to fit in:
    Bruce Almighty
    Punch-Drunk Love
    Lost in Translation
    50 first dates
    any ben stiller movie

13. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    Tv shows I miss that were cancelled:

1)the tick live action
    2)the tick cartoon
    3)Garfield
    4)some midievel times shows that i cant remember the name
    5)Young Indiana Jones
    6)Voyager
    7)Eerie Indiana
    8)Wonderfalls
    9)The X-files
    10)still thinking...

14. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    movies that shoud be shot
    1) Donnie Darco
    2) Temple of Doom
    3) that movie directed by britney spears
    4) 8 legged freaks
    5) deep impact
    6) mission to mars
    7) land before time sequel
    8) biodome
    9) encinoman
    10)Kids

15. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I miss both Tick TV versions, too.
    Wow, Mission to Mars a stinker, and a terrible ending, too. Red Planet was far better, and sported a keen soundtrack.

16. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Too much to say, too little time. First, Red Planet was and still is superior to Mission to Mars in every way. I remember when MtM came out, and I was there for the first showing. I was looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe. I nearly walked out. It is just awful. Red Planet, on the otehr hand, is a fun film, an action film that does not try too hard and works for what it is. I like it, I own it.

It seems I must take issue with at least one movie on everybody's list, so here it goes for Ia's: Spider-Man 2 is your second favorite movie of *all* time? I do not even know if it's been out long enough to be put on any list like that. To like it, even love it, is one thing, to make it into a Top 10 list? Ouch.

I have said this before, but I am going to say it again in regards to Campbell's post: no movie should rely on a novel to be complete. When you tell someone you did not like a movie, and he or she responds with, "Well, you need to read the book," that means the creators of that film failed. Every last person that likes the Lord of the Rings films uses the same argument to those that dislike them, "Have you read the books? No? Well, that's why you don't like the movies." Excuse me? That's blatantly ridiculous. There are some novels that have terrible movie versions of them, while there are some movies that are superior to their novels in every way. Then there are movies that are great as well as their novels and, of course, movies AND novels that are bad.

From my extensive research on both 2001 and A Clockwork Orange (oddly, not joking, my sophomore year of college I did a presentation on Kubrick for film class and picked those two films), and I think you can also see this on the added features of the original 2001 DVD (not the re-issue), but Kubrick went his own way with the movie and Clarke went his. They both worked on them together, at the same time, for a little while and then went in different directions. I have not read the book in years (didn't really like it), but it is different than the movie. Clarke wanted, in the movie, for aliens to be shown and all that. Kubrick, being Kubrick, refused and, almost literally, kinda told Clarke to get lost. Also, Kubrick dumping the final chapter of A Clockwork Orange only benefitted the movie. I love the novel, I really do, but this is a case where the movie is worlds better. Then again, for those that know, there was that big deal about the final chapter in the original novel when it was released.

I did laugh when Ia brought up Eight Legged Freaks. Sorry, that IS a good movie. It is a complete throw back to the classic black and white monster films from decades ago. It was not at all serious, not to be taken seriously, and was just a "fun" movie. In that regard, it's opposite, say, 28 Days Later or other "zombie" movies. Any zombie movie out there is no less unrealistic than Eight Legged Freaks, probably less believable really, but people watch those and think they're great. Is it because these zombie movies take themselves seriously? If so, should Eight Legged Freaks have taken itself seriously and been a "serious" movie? It would have been panned for that, too (giant spiders taking over a city?) No, I do like Freaks, quite a bit. It's a movie that fit the mold of a late night drive in film where you chuckle if not laugh-out-loud the entire way through it. The fact it starred David Arquette kinda gives that away... =)

I do agree, though, with much of Ia's list of Movies That Show be Shot. I will make my own later, but ones on her list that stand out, and I agree fully with: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Deep Impact, Mission to Mars, and Kids. Kids, especially, is so vastly overrated as to be shot twice.

Really.

Going now.

Brandon

17. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I remember when the first two Harry Potter films came out. I, like many other people it seemed, felt a little lukewarm to the films. They were overly long and kinda meandered. But loads of fans of the books were ga-ga over the films, lapping up every little detail in the films.

I agree with Brandon: a film should stand on its own. It needs to work as a movie first, a faithful adaption of source material second. Peter Jackson took some liberties with the Lord of the Rings films, but kept the spirit of the books intact. In fact, I think Coppola's Dracula film is a good example of a movie surpassing it's source material, while at the same time adhering to the spirit of it.

Then again, I doubt anything in I, Robot will be found in Asimov's book. Will the film be better or worse for it? Time will tell.

L8r

18. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I have not in years and YEARS felt the surrounding hatred of a film as much as I, Robot. When I saw Spider-Man 2 (earlier than anyone here, I might add), there were people FUMING about this new Will Smith vehicle. Everyone agreed: the movie may be good, who knows, but just CHANGE THE NAME. I kept my mouth shut, but I kind of agree. I would give anything to see actual Asimov movies on the screen. I'd love to see all 18 of his books in the "Future History" series on his on the big screen. Starting with The End of Eternity, THEN the second novel, I, Robot, up thrugh the robot series, to the Empire series, and ending with the foundation novels, last being, if I remember correctly, Foundation and Earth. Also, throw in Nemesis for good measure.

Now I'm babbling about Asimov. I will stop. Still, I, Robot is the first film that *I* remember that, so far, appears to have zero relation to the source material, none. I mean, robots, yes, but barring that, nothing.

I'll be seeing it tomorrow evening, Thursday. I am hoping for the best, and I'll be glad to admit if it's good. That does not mean, though, we can never get another adapation of the book.

No joke, I am hoping the next person to adapt the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (and it WILL be adapted again) does a much better job than Jackson.

Brandon

19. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Like the majority, I thought the LotR films were a very well put together little Saga. Far more accessible than the books, they serve as a cohesive whole with very few flaws. Though I grew up a serious reader of the Tolkien books, like the novel The Princess Bride, there is too much exposition that I don't always care to wade through. The movies made a great invitation to seek out their "expanded universe" (the source material) but totally held together as independent movie experiences. -Campbell

20. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    How likely is it, considering the amount of money, awards, and acclaim Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy has accumulated, that someone else is going to do another live action adaption of the material within the next 50 years? Or even 100 years? I don't see it happening. I mean, this is the biggest trilogy of films since Star Wars. You think people are really going to be eager to redo them? Movies this successful and acclaimed become holy objects of film worship and are rarely if ever tainted with remakes.

L8r

21. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I disagree in that it is the biggest trilogy since Star Wars. The LOTRs films have not in the least had the cultural or lasting impact like Star Wars has. They made a ton of money, no doubt, but they are already done and gone.

The "nerd" and "dork" types love them still, but the generic public could care less. A small minority of fans is not going to make a film last. To compare this trilogy with the first three Star Wars films is really a non-issue. Nearly every last person knows the names Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Death Star, Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2 and C-3PO, etc. I can promise you that a *vast* majority of people on the street would have no clue whatsoever who Aragorn is, what/where Mordor is, Bilbo would be thought to be some kind of sexual device, a name like Wormtongue would be laughed at as something out of an old Darcula film, and, yes, even Gollum would just get a dumb founded look on people's faces. No, I highly doubt that the Lords of the Rings movies will stand the test of time. They cannot even stand the test of a few months, let alone years and decades. They came and went. True, they made a lot of cash along the way, but nonetheless, they're gone.

I cannot agree or disagree, though, in regards to if someone will adapt them within the next fifty years. I HOPE so, but who knows. Novels constantly get adapted over and over, so we'll see. If, however, they are, I really do hope for the best.

As for the Academy Awards, I do believe Roger Ebert has already typed up enough about them, but he along with nearly every other critic, writes every year how needless and pointless they are. They do not honor the films that deserve it and, often, someone or something gets a sympathy award (for being "overlooked" in previous years even though he or she did not deserve it that year), and I honestly feel Return of the King got those because it was "the right thing to do," so to speak. If I like or dislike them (I dislike them) has nothing to do with the FACT that Return of the King was simply in no way the best film of the entire year. That is ridiculous and even the biggest fan knows that deep down. No, the awards were given out of sympathy and the fact they did not want to make poor, fat, little, bad dresser Peter Jackson feel bad. Sure, he's not so poor anymore, but he is still fat and needs a stylist. It's not THAT hard to tuck your shirt in.

Brandon

22. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    wow, I actually agree with you Brandon. I agree with a lot of things you just said. Also, I am glad to hear that no one liked mission to mars. Red Planet is awesome! Almost all aspects of Engineering in Red Planet are true and could and would actually happen. I think of one law of physics that was followed in the making of mission to mars. It really urks me that a movie so engineeringly unsound could dos so much better than a well written, planned, and design movie like Red Planet.

23. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    All I'm saying is that no one has remade Gone With the Wind even though I'm sure they could if they wanted to. Why wouldn't they? Because the original is considered a classic and it'd be foolish to compete with it.

And while I can't speak to how the LOTR trilogy will go down in history, I don't think it was simply flavor of the month stuff. These movies were each longer than 3 hours and each film grossed more than its predecessor. They each rank in the top ten highest grossing films worldwide. This is more than flash-in-the-pan type stuff.

And I said that this was the biggest film trilogy since Star Wars, not that it was bigger or better than Star Wars. I was just making the point that it was pretty damn successful and that no one is going to be in any hurry to try to catch that lightning in a bottle again.

L8r

24. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    1.Pulp Fiction
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. The Princess Bride
    4 You've Got Mail
    5 Fifth Element
    6 Jurrasic Park
    7 Gattaca
    8 Truth About Cats & Dogs
    9 Pirates of the Caribbean
    10. -28 Days

It's been awhile since I've checked the posts, been slightly distracted. I'm working on my top 10 music lists which is much more extensive and harder to eliminate.

Melanie

25. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Pirates of the Carribean stinks- it totally ripped off Return of the King. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.