Top 10 Most Miserable Sports Cities (US)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    [If someone has a list for non-US cities please add it to the thread! I'd love to see one.]

Since we tend to argue about this in the NFL thread, I thought I'd post this here. Source: Yahoo

1. Atlanta, Ga.

Teams: Falcons (NFL) Braves (MLB), Hawks (NBA), Thrashers (NHL) Flames (NHL)
    Title round record: 1-5 (24th)
    Semifinal round record: 6-9 (23rd)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 142/41 (20th)
    Total seasons/championships: 142/1 (25th)
    Years since last title: 13 (14th)
    Teams lost: 1 (Flames)

Atlanta sports teams have just one championship to show for 15 final-four appearances. Its hockey and basketball teams have, combined, two conference-finals appearances in 57 combined seasons.

2. Seattle, Wash.

Teams: Seahawks (NFL) Mariners (MLB), Sonics (NBA)
    Title round record: 1-3 (23rd)
    Semifinal round record: 4-7 (24th)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 105/28 (16th)
    Total seasons/championships: 105/1 (25th)
    Years since last title: 29 (22nd)
    Teams lost: 0 (So far)

Losing baseball's expansion Pilots in 1970 doesn't count--the deal to move to Milwaukee in season two was already in place. But if the NBA's Sonics depart for Oklahoma City, Seattle will inherit the top spot.

3. Buffalo, N.Y.

Teams: Bills (NFL-AFL), Braves (NBA), Sabres (NHL)
    Title round record: 2-6 (22nd)
    Semifinal round record: 6-6 (12th)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 83/33 (25th)
    Total seasons/championships: 84/2 (21st)
    Years since last title: 43 (23rd)
    Teams lost: 1 (Braves)

Everyone knows about the Bills' four straight Super Bowl losses from 1991-94. But at least the team took two American Football League titles. The NHL's Sabres, meanwhile, are going on 38 seasons without a Stanley Cup, coming up empty in six final-four appearances.

4. Phoenix, Ariz.

Teams: Cardinals (NFL), Diamondbacks (MLB), Suns (NBA), Coyotes (NHL)
    Title round record: 1-2 (21st)
    Semifinal round record: 3-7 (25th)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 82/28 (23rd)
    Total seasons/championships: 82/1 (22nd)
    Years since last title: 7 (8th)
    Teams lost: 0

The Suns have lost six times in the NBA's Western Conference finals, and twice in the NBA finals, without a ring.

5. San Diego, Calif.

Teams: Chargers (NFL-AFL), Padres (MLB), Rockets (NBA), Clippers (NBA)
    Title round record: 1-7 (25th)
    Semifinal round record: 3-3 (12th)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 87/10 (1st)
    Total seasons/championships: 87/1 (23rd)
    Years since last title: 45 (25th)
    Teams lost: 2 (Rockets, Clippers)

San Diego teams have actually fared pretty well during early rounds of post-season play, though the Chargers' 1963 American Football League crown was the only time the city took it all. Last season's late meltdown by the Padres stands alongside the Chargers' 1982 American Football Conference championship "ice bowl" loss to Cincinnati as the town's biggest disappointments.

6. Houston, Texas

Teams: Texans (NFL), Oilers (NFL-AFL), Astros (MLB), Rockets (NBA)
    Title round record: 4-4 (12th)
    Semifinal round record: 5-8 (23rd)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or baseball 2nd place): 126/40 (21st)
    Total seasons/championships: 126/4 (18th)
    Years since last title: 13 (13th)
    Teams lost: 1 (Oilers)

Losing the NFL's Oilers in 1996 was no doubt severe emotional blow to football-crazy Texas fans. Baseball's Astros are still looking for their first championship since their birth in 1962; they're batting 0-for-9 in the post-season.

7. Denver, Colo.

Teams: Broncos (NFL-AFL), Rockies (MLB), Nuggets (NBA-ABA), Avalanche (NHL), Rockies (NHL)
    Title round record: 4-6 (20th)
    Semifinal round record: 10-11 (19th)
    Total seasons/early playoff-round exits (or basebal
  2. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cleveland and Philly are much too low, methinks. Cleveland's losing the Browns was as bad as Brooklyn's losing the Dodgers.
  3. Evil_X_13 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Flames arnt in Atlanta, their are in Calgary.
  4. USTommie Jedi Knight

star 2
    There is no way Denver is that high - the Avs' Cups in the late 90's alone DQ's them, not to mention the TWO Super Bowl wins by the Broncos. Cleveland and Philly should be one and two (in no particular order), and Minneapolis should be higher. The problem I have with Atlanta is that the whole town seems so apathetic about every team that it's hard for me to have any sympathy. San Diego may be miserable as a sports town, but all they have to do is take a five-minute walk to any of their great beaches.
  5. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I thought the same thing about Denver when I copied this stuff over here.
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    The Suns account for a tremendous amount of misery and heartbreak by themselves.
  7. DurronFan Force Ghost

star 4
    The Flames franchise was originally in Atlanta. Then in the early 80's it moved to Calgary. It's the only time in the NHL's history that a team originally from the States has moved to Canada.
  8. USTommie Jedi Knight

star 2
    The Flames did move to Calgary from Atlanta, and yet the NHL didn't learn its lesson and Atlanta now has another struggling team. Hockey is obviously a regional sport (a lot more so than any other sport), so if the NHL were smart it'd put more teams in traditional hockey markets - especially Canada. I don't want to offend any teams' fans in here, but I can think of three or four teams that could/should be relocated if the NHL were on the ball (or puck, as it were).
  9. DurronFan Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah as far as I'm concerned, both Florida teams (Panthers and Lightning) ought to move to Canada, say back to Quebec and Winnipeg. Winnipeg has a huge fan base that longs for the days of the Jets.
  10. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I can see Atlanta making the list, but #1? Much better choices for that spot, easily.
  11. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Winnipeg Loves You!:)

This list is kinda dumb :p. I think it would have been pretty damn easy being a Braves fan the last 15 years, 1 World Title or Not. Try a decade or so of last place finishes an see how it feels.:) World Titles are great, but not the only path to happiness......
  12. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    I would go with Boise.
  13. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    This is simply not a good list. Atlanta won a World Series less than fifteen years ago. They cannot possibly have it that bad. Denver won two Super Bowls and a couple of Stanley Cups recently. Again, can't be that bad.

Any list of miserable sports cities has to start with, in some order, Cleveland, Philly, and Buffalo.
  14. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Agree with Darth_Integral. The proper order should be as follows:

1) Philadelphia: longest drought of championships for any city with at least team in the four major pro-sports.

2) Cleveland: haven't won a championship since the old NFL chamionships before Super Bowls. Had their beloved Browns stolen by Modell, only to watch that team win a Super Bowl in 2000-2001.

3) Buffalo: Have had the misery of watching their two teams intermittently of having losing seasons (not making the playoffs) and devestating losses in title games and Stanley Cup playoffs and finals.
  15. USTommie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Was this the list created by Forbes? If so, I feel the need to point out that this is the same magazine that rated the Minnesota Timberwolves' Kevin McHale as the greatest GM in sports. I live in the Twin Cities, and that "title" was met with more ridicule than anything I can remember. He is one of the worst GMs ever, so we can apparently take this list with a grain of salt. I'm sure we could come up with a better list ourselves.
  16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    By Tom Van Riper and Andrew Farrell, Forbes.com

Theres your answer.
  17. USTommie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks Rogue - I'm not surprised Forbes came up with another laughable sports-related article. Isn't there enough going on in the financial and economic world that they can stick to? You don't see Sports Illustrated write about President Bush's Iraq "strategery" or ESPN cover the entertainment world (anymore [face_laugh]), so they need to stick with their bread and butter.
  18. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    But...but the Browns are making a comeback! [face_plain]
  19. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Force Ghost

star 5
    As much as it pains me Philly should be higher, we haven't won anything since the Sixers in 1983 and pending the Flyers its gonna be another year of the drought.
  20. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not so fast, we also have the Phils, that could end the drought this year.

But I have faith that the Flyers will end the Billy Penn curse, so long as Biron keeps on playing out of his mind.
  21. Yautja Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank God San Frisco wasn't on there. Thank you 49ers and Giants!
  22. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    Let me tell you, it sucks being a Seattle sports fan. We only have one team that cares about winning.
  23. imperial_dork Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I really don't see how Atlanta is any more miserable than Seattle. Just the Braves' success in the 90s alone, puts them below us on the misery scale. :p
  24. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Philly should be the number 1 on the list due to how many franchises are hosted there. Sports Illustrated figured out that they've had over 100 combined seasons of failure since the city's last championship.
  25. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.