main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top 10 Most Miserable Sports Cities (US)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Phoenix? Really? The Diamondbacks have a WS championship....

World Series titles (1) 2001
    NL Pennants (1) 2001
    National League West Division titles (4) 2007 ? 2002 ? 2001 ? 1999

For a time in 2008 they had the best record in baseball. Phoenix is not one of the most miserable sports cities in the US. No way no how.

2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    And Atlanta's on the list. The Braves only had like 14 straight division titles.....o_O

3. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Division titles don't mean a thing if you can't seal the deal. One WS out of 14 isn't a good percentage.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Are you kidding? The Suns have brought an incredible amount of misery here, and I think I've listed it elsewhere in the past. I can do so here.

The years 1970, 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2007 all have Suns heartbreak as their common thread. The Suns are our original franchise here, the only one that goes back before the 1990s as our own club and no one else's. I've been a Suns fan since 1989 and I've been through so much heartbreak that I think I may have reached my final limit this year.

Paxson, Elie, Paul Silas's non-existent timeout that wasn't called in 1976, the seven-game WCF loss against the Sonics in 1979 (with an easy title series against the weak Bullets in store), the first division title in 1981 followed by a first-round loss to the Kings, the WCF loss to the mighty Lakers in six games in 1984, the heartbreaking loss to the Blazers in the 1990 WCF (blew them away in the two wins, but lost three by a combined four or five points), Jordan in 1993, the Rockets in 1994/95, the injuries in 1998, Joe Johnson going down in 2005, Stoudemire, Bell and Thomas going down in 2006, Horry in 2007 and the Game 1 loss to the Spurs this season. Yes, we've seen a lot around here.

The Diamondbacks are nice, but they're not where this city's heart is. Don't get me wrong, because a championship over the Yankees in a classic Series was special in its own way, but not the way a title for the Suns would have been or would be. You might have to have lived here for a long time to really understand that.

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    lol.

NL West division titles? really?

Phoenix has one championship among all of it's pro teams. one.

And it was in the sport that most of the city could care less about.

Arizona sports teams don't just lose. They make losing an art form. Just look at the Suns and Cardinals history.

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, the 2001 Series was a classic, and it had a lot of attention here. But, make no mistake, the Suns have always been the soul of this city's sports scene.

Just to top it all off, throw in the 1997 Rose Bowl, where Arizona State came within 90 seconds of being national champions. Still the worst loss ever for me as a fan.

7. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    If I were to pick one city, it would be Hartford. Anybody remember the Whalers?

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    No, really. Until your city starts getting cute "The _____" nicknames for what broke their hearts, you don't really know what it's like. And when you can say "Yeah, we got a title, but not in the sport we wanted", you also don't really know what it's like. The Browns are far and away #1 in Cleveland, but if the Indians or Cavs win a title, you can take Cleveland off the miserable and suffering list. But you won't take away the memories of The Drive, The Fumble, The Jose Mesa, The Shot, etc ...

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't give me that... the Browns had a dynasty.

Arizona has one championship.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Browns had a dynasty and the British had a worldwide empire. Neither of those are relevant today, and there's almost an equal amount of people around who remember them first-hand.

It's been 44 seasons since the last Browns title.
    It's been 60 seasons since the last Indians title.
    The Cavs have never won a title, giving them 38 seasons without a title.

That combines to 142 seasons in a row without a title for Cleveland sports.

What's Arizona got? 24 combined seasons?

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Cleveland is definitely a heartbroken city, and far more so than most. I feel bad for you guys. At least we do have that 2001 World Series, which really does help salve some of the damage from the Suns' failures (some of them of epic proportions).

For Phoenix, you sort of have to take the Suns by themselves, and that means 40 years without a title (despite coming very close several times, and probably closest in a year when they didn't reach the Finals). The Cardinals have usually been a joke, the Coyotes are transplants and play hockey, and the Diamondbacks have of course been relatively successful in their time here (but never really capturing this city and state's heart in the way the Suns have).

I empathize with you, Integral, and I hope you taste a championship by one of your beloved teams.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd probably come off as a whiner if I bitched that Dallas teams have not won any championships since the Stars won the Stanley Cup in 1999, wouldn't I?

13. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It's OK Dallas will win the Super Bowl this year.

14. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm gonna hold you to that. :p

15. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I'd like to see your Cowboys get past my Seahawks.

16. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    With who as their running back? Julius Jones lol.

17. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Come on now, Inty. Give the Browns some credit for the Dynasty they once held. :(

18. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    The Cowboys are not even going to win the East this year. They are going to finish behind the Eagles and Giants.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Sig bet?

Giants were a fluke last year, not that they didn't play well enough to win, but they will not repeat. What's Philly done lately? They still have Reid, and the still have a QB, that while he's been quiet in the offseason, is still a primadonna.

And yes, I'm loling and rolling my eyes just as hard as you that the Cowboys picked up PacMan-Thug. I'm just waiting for them to pick up Chad Johnson, so that they can get a summer prison league going. :p

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    How about we take this talk to the NFL Thread?

21. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    You're just mad that Boston isn't on the list. :p

22. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I'll take your bet and give you my reasons in the NFL thread.

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Toronto, Ontario

The Toronto Maple Leafs (aka. the Spawn of Death, the Maple Loafs, the Terror of Tiny Town)

Haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967

The Toronto Blue Jays (aka The Toronto No Ways, the Toronto Crappy Plays, the Blues Magoos, etc. etc.)

Won the World Series in 1992 and 1993.

Toronto Raptors

Futility on a plate.

24. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I thought all of Canada was stoked when the Jays won in 1992/93...? :confused:

25. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Since when has Toronto been in the USA???
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_laugh] [face_skull] Burned you!!! [face_dancing] [face_beatup]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.