main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top 10 Reasons LOTR will never be as good as Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Duckman, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Don't cry, it's just for fun :)
    1. Star Wars has badass Jedi as the heroes. Lord of the Rings has little people singing songs.

2. Sword and sorcery is only for nerds

3. The books are too hard to read

4. George Lucas has two films on the AFI top 100 list. Peter Jackson is the director of Brain Dead

5. Star Wars appeals to both kids and their parents. LOTR appeals to lonely fanboys who spend all day posting insults on Aint It Cool News

6. Star Wars has cool spaceships that they can turn into cool toys. LOTR does not.

7. In LOTR, the ultimates destructive power is a ring. In Star Wars, it is a giant freaking space station with a super lazer.

8. Natalie Portman is way hotter than Liv Tyler

9. Star Wars has special effect by ILM. LOTR has effects by some "Ozzie" company

10. Star Wars has music by John Williams. LOTR . . . doesn't.

2. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Are you dissing LOTR? :mad:

3. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999

I'm with you on every point except 8. If you'd been realistic and said that Portman is a better actress than Tyler then you would have received my full support.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    #1 - LOTR won't have Natalie Portman in a half ripped off full body white spandex outfit

5. Starfox

Starfox Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Even as this thread should be taken as humorous, I can't continue the list - due to ethical, personal reasons.

:)

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Luv reason nine. [face_plain]

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    LOTR won't have any lightsabers. And as we all know, a movie must have a lightsaber in order to be qualified as good.

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Does that mean Spaceballs is on par with A New Hope?

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    love #7

10. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    You know, on #5 you could switch "Star Wars" and "LOTR" and the comment would be just as valid. :)

11. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Pozzi - Is Jay and Silent Bob Strike back? Lightsabers make both that and Spaceballs excellent accomplishments in the film medium. ;)

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Great list. Love #7

How about
    - In SW, the "little person" can lift spaceships with his mind.

13. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Well... I've not seen Jay and Silent Bob, but yes! I should think that makes them both landmark films. ;)

14. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    9. Star Wars has special effect by ILM. LOTR has effects by some "Ozzie" company

The effects company, called WETA, is actually in New Zealand, and what the hell are you saying? because it ain't yank it's not good?
    I have friends who worked their arses off in that film.

And why does one have to be better than the other? can't we enjoy both?

15. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    It's like this.

If New Zealand actually makes something of quality, Australia claims it. Simple.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    You mean like Canada and USA?

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Something like that.

We take anything that has the slightest Aussie connection.

Hey! Where was AOTC filmed? :D

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Top Ten Reasons Star Wars will never be as good as The Lord of the Rings

1) Lord of the Rings has noble warriors like Aragorn and super-cool Wizards like Gandalf as the heroes. Star Wars has farm boys and teddy bears.

Spaceships and lasers are only for nerds

Smart people prefer a great book to a good movie.

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote the best selling fictional book in history. George Lucas had to get a ghost writer.

LOTR appeals to both kids and their parents. Star Wars appeals to lonely fanboys who spend all day posting insults on Aint It Cool News

LOTR has cool Daemons that they can turn into cool toys. Star Wars does not.

In LOTR, the ultimate destructive power is in a God who can destroy everything in existence any time he feels like. In Star Wars, it is a giant freaking space station with a super lazer.

Liv Tyler is way hotter than Natalie Portman

Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest stories ever, written by one of the greatest authors ever over a 14-year period. Star Wars was written by George Lucas, the man who was practically begged by some of his greatest fans to get someone else to do the script for Episode II.

Star Wars has Jar Jar Binks. LOTR . . . doesn't.

20. DarthRacer

DarthRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2000
    good reasoning....LOTR has an appeal to a certain cross-section of fans, so did the DUNE series...remember DUNE ? I'm sure hard-core DUNE fans thought that DUNE would beat Star Wars at the box-office...it didn't come close. That's what LOTR fans don't understand...that SW has a WIDER appeal that LOTR...it's just that simple...that's why AOTC will be the No.1 movie of 2002...and out box-office LOTR and SM...it's easy to figure out...a no-brainer.

21. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, I'd just hate to see this become another SW Vs Trek kinda thing...

22. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Each volume of the Lord of the Rings has sold over 20 million copies. The Hobbit has sold 35 million copies. Last year, in paperback sales, the Hobbit was the best selling Science Fiction/Fantasy book in the world.

Twice as many people have downloaded the LOTR trailer as ever downloaded the TPM trailer. Harry Potter is a distant fifth on the all-time trailer download list. You know how big Harry Potter is? I'd say Harry Potter is about as big as Star Wars in most places right now. And the Lord of the Rings is a 800 pound Gorilla compared to the 100 pound chimp compared to Harry Potter.

LOTR will be huge.

23. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Just thought I'd clear something up, I think this will absolutely kill TPM and AOTC at the box office, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie,
    I'm just saying it's like asking someone whats the better drink, OJ or beer? just depends what you're in the mood for at the time...

24. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    TPM: Maybe, if you mean in amount of money earned.

AOTC: If you mean at the time then no as they are released at different times. Again though if in terms of money earned then... I'll say we'll see.

25. DarthRacer

DarthRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2000
    "LOTR will be huge."

Yes...it'll be "huge", but not that "huge". I think DUNE fans would argue with you about which series has more followers, but that's not important right now.

When the AOTC movie trailer comes out, LOTR won't seen so "huge" anymore. It's easy to analyze...any STAR WARS movie will always out-box-office any other Sci-Fi "fantasy" flick. SW will have hardcore fan, average fan, AND entire family repeat viewings...LOTR will have typical hardcore fan repeat business...not enough to eclipse AOTC or any other SW movie, for that matter.

Those are the cold, hard facts...I know LOTR fans don't want to hear it...but that's the truth. Deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.