main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Top 10 Reasons LOTR will never be as good as Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Duckman, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    So certain are you?

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    People will watch a 6 foot clumsy frog, but not heroic wizards and such?

Your thinking is a little off. :)

3. JediElfie

JediElfie Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2001
    I disagree as they are geared towards two completely different audiences.

LOTR - Older, geekier fantasy/sci fi fans

SW -11 year old kids (These are Lucas's own words, not mine)

HP - KIDS. Marketed towards KIDS. I think HP is going to become huge, because those same kids that loved HP are going to grow up with it, just like we did with Star Wars, and they are going to be spending their disposable income on collectibles 10 years from now.

My .02.

4. DarthRacer

DarthRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2000
    "So certain are you?"

Yes...no question about...as I said...wait for the AOTC trailer to come out...then, LOTR will be just another good movie coming out....AOTC will be the 1,500 lb Grizzly Bear that eats the 800 lb Gorilla.

5. viper_stew

viper_stew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 14, 2001

[face_laugh]

that's a good one Gandalf
    "spaceship and lasers are for nerds"

you do know that most of the NASA and Government missions consists of spaceships and lasers?

Spaceships(shuttles that elevate satellites) and lasers(laser guide-technology) is what will help us win this war....

I don't think you can use wizards, goblins, and sorcerers in real life to attack the terrorist........
    my point is....wizards and sorcery IS has a bigger geek factor than spaceships and lasers ;)

oh and Natalie is hotter thant lyv tyler any day

one last thing, Yoda will kick any character's a$$ from LOTR, on a one-on-one even battle (no rings no lightsabers)...yes even Sauron

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    A shame he couldn't kick Anakins when it mattered. :D

7. darthfrede

darthfrede Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Fun list! :D

But seriously...

[face_devil] LotR will kick SW's A**!!! [face_devil]

I LOVE SW... but LotR will be SO MUCH better! ;)

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Ah! Quality - now that's something to argue for.

9. Darth Shade

Darth Shade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2000
    LOL, both Duckman and Gandolf!!! :D :D :D

BTW, LOTR beats SW hands down. And I LOVE Star Wars!!! :D

10. viper_stew

viper_stew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 14, 2001

will see when LOTR comes out
    it will make money but it won't come close to SW....

oh and i love LOTR too!!!!

11. rpkteg

rpkteg Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2001
    Starting off the Dune movie sucked, that's why it bombed. Secondly, does anyone remember what sci fi films where like before 1977? Star Wars literally changed the movie genre, LOTR could very well do that for fantasy but it will have to be good. And it looks like the chances of it being a good movie(And very faithful to the source material though not completely) are looking pretty good. All I see on this message board is ignorant star wars fans lashing out at something they know nothing about(well that's not all I see but there is certainly enough of it).

12. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Top ten reasons why Lord of the Ring is better then Star Wars:

1) LotR is a detailed epic about rejecting power and how heros do not "make" themselves. The first Star Wars movie was about saving a princess and blowing up a weapon of mass destruction.

2) The weapons in LotR have hidden power. Star Wars has... shiny laser swords.

3) The Hero of the Phantom Menace was an annoying little brat who liked to say "Wizard". LotR's hero is a mature person in a small body who is actually friends with a wizard.

4) LotR's will have CGI Gollum. Star Wars will have CGI... Jar Jar.

5)The Evil tyrant in Star Wars took over an aging Republic near the end of its life. In the Lord of the Rings, Sauron overthrew the most powerful of the Kingdom's of men.

6) The oldest character in Star Wars is 900 hundred years old. Liv Tyler is several times that and looks far better too.

7) The Villan of Star Wars sounds like he needs a respirator. The WitchKing says "Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn, but bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh will be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye."

8) Star Wars has Wierd freak-show aliens. LotR has Elves.

9) The Hobbits would kick the ewoks butts.

10) Obi-Wan Kenobi dies passively. When Gandalf dies, it's while yelling "you shall not pass!" and taking down the Balrog.

13. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Star Wars has badass Jedi as the heroes. Lord of the Rings has little people singing songs.
    As well as all the badass fighters...

Sword and sorcery is only for nerds
    Lightsaber+Force=Sword+Sorcery

The books are too hard to read
    LotR is only one book, and it's got much more literary merit than any SW book.

George Lucas has two films on the AFI top 100 list. Peter Jackson is the director of Brain Dead

George Lucas made his groundbreaking "top 100" films 25 years ago. Jackson is making his now. Lucas directed Howard the Duck.

Star Wars appeals to both kids and their parents. LOTR appeals to lonely fanboys who spend all day posting insults on Aint It Cool News

No SW fanboys around here, and I'm guessing neither kids nor parents will be seeing LotR.

Star Wars has cool spaceships that they can turn into cool toys. LOTR does not.

LotR has a bunch of cool characters and creatures they can turn into toys.

In LOTR, the ultimates destructive power is a ring. In Star Wars, it is a giant freaking space station with a super lazer.

And which proved more deadly in context? And who's better? Sauran or Palpatine?

Natalie Portman is way hotter than Liv Tyler

Yeah, but Liv Tyler has bigger breasts...

Star Wars has special effect by ILM. LOTR has effects by some "Ozzie" company

When ILM did SW effects they were small and new. Kind of like WETA is now...

Star Wars has music by John Williams. LOTR . . . doesn't.

Williams' golden days are behind him, and there's plenty of movie music out there that beats much of Williams'. This is a wait and see.

14. ilegitimatesonofsuns

ilegitimatesonofsuns Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    Howard the Duck NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!1

15. ilegitimatesonofsuns

ilegitimatesonofsuns Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2001
    "Star Wars has badass Jedi as the heroes. Lord of the Rings has little people singing songs."

Have you even read the books?

"Sword and is only for nerds"

Lightsabre and the force are not Sword and sorcery?

"The books are too hard to read"

No wonder, These movies are geared towards those people who CAN read.

"George Lucas has two films on the AFI top 100 list. Peter Jackson is the director of Brain Dead"

So? "Lucas directed Howard the Duck."

"Star Wars appeals to both kids and their parents. LOTR appeals to lonely fanboys who spend all day posting insults on Aint It Cool News"

Right. SW fans spend all day posting TFN.

"Star Wars has cool spaceships that they can turn into cool toys. LOTR does not."

Ok, I'll give you that. LOTR will have good toys though

"In LOTR, the ultimates destructive power is a ring. In Star Wars, it is a giant freaking space station with a super lazer."

The ring has more power than you give it credit for.

"Natalie Portman is way hotter than Liv Tyler"

And she's a better actor.

"Star Wars has special effect by ILM. LOTR has effects by some "Ozzie" company"

I don't think it will matter much.

"Star Wars has music by John Williams. LOTR . . . doesn't."

Well...No one's perfect.

16. yodaluke-wan

yodaluke-wan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    boy some said that there were ignorant star wars fans hear well i think the apple doesn;t fall far from the tree. lotr fans are you kidding me. from the stuff you guys just put down, i really wonder i have you even seen star wars. listen i like the book and all and lotr will do great at the box office, but it will not do more then aotc because star wars has a much wider fan base and the diehards will see it like 10 plus. anyway aotc will be a much better movie. and breats doesn't matter, natalie is way prettier then liv tyler. the only reason why she is in the mainstream is because of her father.

17. yodaluke-wan

Jun 10, 2001
    i also have a question why does when everyone refers to lotr they hardly mention the complete title:felloweship of the ring. well here is why everyone complains about aotc but it a way better title then fellowship of the ring. god talk about a lame title. star wars the greatest movie ever. and it will be funny again to see another johnny-come lately movie try to fool its fanbase into thinking that it will be better and bigger then star wars.

18. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I for one, AGREES with #8 *Natalie Portman is Hotter than Liv*

19. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    As a representative of the LOTR FX crew, I can safely say ... the "Ozzie Company" (which is actually a highly respected New Zealand FX company called Weta) responsible for the visual effects uses GROUNDBREAKING technology. Not just state of the art ... many, many new CGI processes have been used for this film. And the practical effects and props are of a detail level and quality previously unseen before in film history. What we used as background props, most other films would have as hero props.

So, just because it's not American, just because you've never heard of it before, doesn't mean it's not going to be huge.

And believe me THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE. I've been a SW fan all of my life, so I have no bias here.But really, all those who currently think SW has better FX and is a higher quality product overall, you will eat your words when you see the finished films.

20. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I like Magneto's actor "Ian M." He is really a great actor!

21. yodaluke-wan

Jun 10, 2001
    never said it wasn't going to be huge, bigger then star wars-thats another question. imo.

22. Exiled

Exiled Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2001
    Yes Tyler is a dog. Other than that, I look forward to both, but I will watch star wars at least 10 times. LOTR will only get multiple viewings if it blows me away.

23. yodaluke-wan

Jun 10, 2001
    for those who care about the grossing of films exiled said it right there he will see it 10 times, not lotr-unless blows the public away which it can. BUT!

24. Lord_Lazarus

Lord_Lazarus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    I can't say which is going to be bigger, but I am fairly sure which is going to be better.

I'm sorry but after TPM, Lucas is going to have to pull out something really special.

Countless CGI effects with no story just aren't going to impress people anymore. Its been done.

So I am reasonably sure that LotR is going to come out best.

And just a point about the titles.
    "Fellowship of the Rings" describes the first book perfectly, and therefore the first movie. The book is based around the why they formed who they are and what they had to do....

"Attack of the Clones" drops Star Wars from an epic saga to the level of 50's and 60's
    b-grade Sci-Fi.

Now I am a HUGE fan of both, and I can't wait for either movie to come out, and neither can most of you...... So why don't people just agree that each has its merits and not put either one down until they come out...... Oh except TPM, you can put that down as much as you like.....

25. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Didn't the guy at the beginning of all this say this is all a joke? Yet all these LOTR fans are taking it seriously. Huh...

In any case, IMHO, I think LOTR is gonna "flop" for the exact same reasons TPM did.

Overhype

It seems to me that LOTR fans are esentially expecting an impossibly good movie. Sure, the movie will gorss a lot of money, because everyone will be lining up to see this because of the hype. It was no different than TPM. TPM made lots of money. That doesn't matter. Cause most the folks walking out of that movie were disappointed, and some horribly so. They expected too much, and when Lucas didn't deliver, the movie goers felt cheated.

I predict the same thing will happen to LOTR (and sadly, perhaps to AOTC too) the movie just won't be able to keep up with the hype. Sure the trailer looks cool but what is that really? A minute and a half of a movie that's in the grey area of an hour to two hours long? (I'm just guessing on film length there.) How can you really get a feel for how good a movie will be based on a mere fraction of the action? For all we know the trailer itself may be the highlights of the movie.

And LOTR has it even worse than TPM. It actually has books to live up to. And as Gandalf so eloquently pointed out, well-selling books. People didn't know what to expect from TPM, they just knew that it wasn't what they expected/wanted. The people walking into LOTR who've read the books will have explicit expectations. And if its one thing about books made into movies, they rarely coincide, and even more rarely are the movies as good as the books. (Jurassic Park: Lost World is a prime example).

So as for me, when LOTR comes out i really don't think I want to see it. I'm perfectly happy with reading the stories amnd agree that they are excellent works of fantasy that have yet to be rivaled by any other of that genre. I much rather live with that, than live knowing that tolkiens work has been slandered by some overhyped movie.

My 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.